As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stars Earn Stripes: The Most Insulting Thing on TV Ever

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Also, they want real military?! They want something like...
    atl_wall_chart-660x429.jpg

...THIS??

Heeeeey, you found the slide I was talking about! Thanks.

The big version: http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/dangerroom/2010/09/atl_wall_chart.jpg

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I understand being pissed off and angry at this, I think its a stupid ass show full of mis-aimed patriotism and demeaning towards the armed forces, but I don't see it as a new low for television programming. We have shows glorifying and exploiting the fact that teenage girls have happened to get knocked up and now have a kid (one of which I saw on the television guide was 14), shows that exploit people's nuerosis and emotional issues (Hoarders anyone), exploiting drug issues and people who need help (Intervention), etc. Our television shows hit that low a hell of a long time ago.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hoarders and Intervention are both shows about people getting help presented in a serious manner in a way to try and get similar people similar help. Teen mom though is trash, but its on MTV so not a real network anyway.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    When do they get underequipped and undermanned because the admin felt private contractors could handle those tasks better? At what point do they get electrocuted in a shower because Haliburton doesn't understand how electricity works?

Or when do they get to see private contractors purchasing under age sex slaves because they aren't illegal in the country they are in and the companies contract says those contractors are not subject to US jurisidiction when in foreign lands?

between that knowledge (i went right after the story broke about the shower electrocution deaths) and constant incoming sirens i absolutely hated showers there. I felt like if i die i wanted to be clothed. i showered f'ing fast!

• Options
    useless4 wrote: »
    When do they get underequipped and undermanned because the admin felt private contractors could handle those tasks better? At what point do they get electrocuted in a shower because Haliburton doesn't understand how electricity works?

Or when do they get to see private contractors purchasing under age sex slaves because they aren't illegal in the country they are in and the companies contract says those contractors are not subject to US jurisidiction when in foreign lands?

between that knowledge (i went right after the story broke about the shower electrocution deaths) and constant incoming sirens i absolutely hated showers there. I felt like if i die i wanted to be clothed. i showered f'ing fast!

That's terrifying, I'm sorry you ever had to go through that man.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    If this show was too realistic they wouldn't get the kind of people watching it that they want though, I mean it'd be like if modern warfare was a realistic video game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMb0ZP6hnkc

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »

...THIS??

The big version: http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/dangerroom/2010/09/atl_wall_chart.jpg

Seriously.

I work with it every day.

The best advice I was given, "try to do as few things on that fucking chart as possible."

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    This is literally the most offensive thing I have ever seen.
    I guess you didn't see that SpikeTV reality show where they would recreate an actual grisly murder scene and have two teams of contestants competing to solve the crime.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I guess you didn't see that SpikeTV reality show where they would recreate an actual grisly murder scene and have two teams of contestants competing to solve the crime.

When did Spike TV start broadcasting my birthday parties?

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote: »

...THIS??

Seriously.

I work with it every day.

The best advice I was given, "try to do as few things on that fucking chart as possible."

Likewise! Boo charts!

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    SammyF wrote: »

I do the same thing every time I take a dump, tweezers and everything.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »

Nononono Sammy...

The key word there is recreated....

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Ahahahah that Onion video was fucking hilarious, I can't stop laughing.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    If this show was too realistic they wouldn't get the kind of people watching it that they want though, I mean it'd be like if modern warfare was a realistic video game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMb0ZP6hnkc

Hah, that is brilliant!

@Preacher: I did not know that about Hoarders and Intervention, but do we know how successful those shows have been at helping get others help?

The sad thing about the Teen Moms thing is it has been so popular it has spread beyond just MTV.

• Options
    No idea never because its not like the show can get a stat of "Well I saw this episode and helped my mother throw some shit out." But I do know my own place gets a lot cleaner after an episode of hoarders.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    This was a terrible idea ten years ago when it was called Boot Camp.

Hasn't gotten any less terrible with age.

I think my brother and I actally watched that once or twice when it was on.

We were were such goddam stupid children.

• Options
    Why can't they bring back Guts? Because let me tell you I'd show Moira a Quirk or two...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    This is probably a dumb European question, but why is there also a cop in the team?
    I can understand SWAT teams, kinda, but isn't the job of a police officer completely different then from military personnel?
    For one, if you're in an army, you're supposed to shoot at the other guy; if you're a cop, you're more on the "protect the other guy" side of things, Or maybe taking them into custody.
    In any case, cops are not there to shoot at people, it's more of an extreme situations that rarely happens if they've truly exhausted all their options / are in extreme danger.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Dibbit wrote: »
    This is probably a dumb European question, but why is there also a cop in the team?
    I can understand SWAT teams, kinda, but isn't the job of a police officer completely different then from military personnel?
    For one, if you're in an army, you're supposed to shoot at the other guy; if you're a cop, you're more on the "protect the other guy" side of things, Or maybe taking them into custody.
    In any case, cops are not there to shoot at people, it's more of an extreme situations that rarely happens if they've truly exhausted all their options / are in extreme danger.

Depends on the type of cop. He might have a lot of experience doing raids or whatever.

Also unfortunately in America cops aren't really there to protect.

• Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    i feel so out of touch. i can't really understand why this show is that insulting.

maybe i just don't glorify the military or something? seems fair game to me.

full disclosure: my brother was in the special forces. he thinks the army is total shit and despises them. he talks down on the military every chance he gets so maybe that's my bias.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF0pxwvAemQ

Don't watch that video, just don't. You'll feel blood shoot out of your fucking eyes at the premise so fucking ludicrous it got nobel prize winners to personally petition NBC not to air this horrible fucking show.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/08/nobel-peace-prize-winners-want-stars-earn-stripes-canceled/

I would have thought after a decade of armed bloody fucking conflict in which serviceman from the US and her Allies have died in stupid pointless excursisons would have slaked the blood lust of the god damn retards in our media. But no, no I was fucking wrong, we need to glorify their sacrifices by having Todd Palin talking about how hard it is to do basic training. Fuck you NBC you have set the bar so god damn low here comes Honey Boo Boo looks like a speech from Stephen Hawking about the cosmos by comparison.

So hopefully no one watched this putrid pile of shit, but did you see the commercial during the millions of hours of Olympic coverage and pray to god it was just a joke ad for a car insurance company? Do you think the American media could have a modicrum of decency and cancel this abortion of patriotic nationalism? Or did you watch the show and now you are really pulling for Todd Palin to win it all?

You kidding me? This has great potential for hillarity if one of the "stars" get shot or breaks their neck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PartizankaPartizanka Registered User regular
    This show came out while I was deployed in a conflict zone where people die every day. We made fun of it briefly and then I ignored it and have no idea how popular it was/is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EFpS10GnBI

Shitty minds think alike?

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go

Steam - Partizanka | Live - Partizanka
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    I got a pretty good chuckle out of this (NSFW, obviously)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQgddDS-jbE&feature=plcp

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    This is truly an awful show, but I'm not even sure this is the worst show Dean Cain has been in.

Between Jon & Kate, Guy Fiori, Real Housewives, Paris Hilton, Kardashians, Toddlers and Tiaras, Bridezilla, etc. American TV is just a heap of low class shit, outside of HBO, Bravo, CC and FX. There's actually a few History channel shows that bother me more than SES.

Jibba on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Actually, I started watching a bit and now I'm torn.

Watching people hang on cords from a helicopter and shooting at things which somehow blow up is really stupid irl.

On the other hand, you get gems like this:
    Dean Cain:
    Playing Superman, any time you go into a competition it's expected of you to do well.

It's like a hipster's wet dream. Maybe I should just watch, but not in a way that gives them ad revenue.

It's also kind of bothersome to hear this sniper talk about his kill count without a tinge of feeling. I know Chris Kyle is very famous and does a lot to help veterans, but it still came across like bragging to me. In my experience, the guys who are most willing to share with everyone what they did are those who did the least (although Kyle obviously did a lot.)

The rest of the show is unintentionally hilarious and stupid. I think the biggest problem is just the title. If it was something like "Celebrity Military Challenge", people would be upset at the glorification but I think most would brush it off as the same type of shit as Expendables and CoD. Instead, it says "Earn stripes" and my immediate reaction is "fuck you, you're not earning anything by running an obstacle course with simulated explosives."

I hope it gets cancelled but it's not the worst thing ever. The "honoring the military" line is mostly bs, as the entire presentation is mostly just to honor video games. If I had the power to eliminate one piece of war-glorifying media, it wouldn't be this. It'd be MW2.

Jibba on
  • Options
    No idea never because its not like the show can get a stat of "Well I saw this episode and helped my mother throw some shit out." But I do know my own place gets a lot cleaner after an episode of hoarders.

I feel like if the show's real goal was to get people help, then they would keep track of it. I guess you could argue at least with Hoarders the fact the show is going on is a sign of success, as people are contacting them for help.

Its only personal feelings so take it with a grain of salt, but I have a feeling that the majority of people aren't watching that show and thinking about getting help, but are just entertained by the exploitation and suffering of the people on the show. I do have a large ignorance of both of them as I never watched either of them due to the distaste the idea gave me (unlike Too Cute!, the most awesome Animal Planet show ever!).

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    This doesn't surprise me. Or offend me. I think my reaction can best be summarized as "sigh"

Although now that I consider it if you do this exact same thing, only with celebrities from other reality TV shows who only exist as celebrities because of reality tv but you put them through actual honest to god special forces training that they can't quit upon starting?

I would watch the fuck out of that. For the body count alone if nothing else.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    THE BULLETS ARE REAL

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    THE BULLETS ARE REAL
    The explosions are all fake though. When they miss with the SCAR's grenades, nothing happens. :| And if they hit the wrong part of a target (say, the chest) nothing happens but if they hit the head the whole thing explodes.

• Options
    Speaking of Combat Missions, I always wondered what happened to that show.

Anyone see Discovery's One Man Army? What's their take on that show compared to this one?
    I've only seen OMA, but I can tell you it's more game show then reality show at least.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Hey NBC. I just want to say Fuck You and Die In A Fire.

Way to show absoluetly zero respect for our braver-than-I ground troops under constant fire and all the rest of us in the AoR ready to dive into a bunker in a minute's notice.

Sincerely,
    Deployed USAF Member.

P.S. Agreed. clearly not enough Reflector Belts and Power Point. Nor are they subjecting them to 500 hours of CBTs till they want to shoot themselves.
    P.S.S. As someone who handles weapons daily, guns and explosives are not fucking toys. And at least they could teach them to load their f'ing weapons right.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    THE BULLETS ARE REAL
    The explosions are all fake though. When they miss with the SCAR's grenades, nothing happens. :| And if they hit the wrong part of a target (say, the chest) nothing happens but if they hit the head the whole thing explodes.

But...but...

Grenades.

It's practically a proverb! Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think an actual documentary about an actual bootcamp could be pretty interesting, but it wouldn't really market the military in a sanitized, 'cool' way

this show is so dumb it makes my head hurt

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I will admit I'm sincerely amazed they're pointing actual guns and actually firing real bullets. Like, that's really dumb. They're obviously not giving them substantial training, why include a high risk of injury or death?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    @vagrant_winds Where is your home station? If you happen to have a timely lay over in Ramstein, hit me up and I'll buy you a drink...or a kebab.
    Or both. Also, if you need something in way of care package let me know.

I loved the AFT review of this. This show is bullshit.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I think an actual documentary about an actual bootcamp could be pretty interesting, but it wouldn't really market the military in a sanitized, 'cool' way
    The BBC did a documentary about the paras' basic training back in 1982, that's actually pretty good. Gets a tad jingoistic right towards the end, (it was 1982) but it's not too bad on that front IIRC, mostly just a bunch of dudes puking and fainting on long marches while being shouted at (the BBC were actually criticized by the Tory government for not being nationalistic enough during the Falklands War... so, yeah). You can find it on youtube, just don't read the comments if you value your sanity.

Channel 4 (the British one) have quite a few documentaries on Afghanistan, if you can manage to use their site over the pond. Fighting on the Front Line is decent (and you can get to laugh at our new goofy APC... things. Why oh why couldn't we just buy some of those cool humvees?). The episode featuring the Chinook crews is fucking horrible in places though, for obvious reasons. It's probably the exact sort of thing they should show the celebrities on Stars Earn Stripes actually, just to see how real they'd actually like it to get.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I will admit I'm sincerely amazed they're pointing actual guns and actually firing real bullets. Like, that's really dumb. They're obviously not giving them substantial training, why include a high risk of injury or death?

Could they be lying about that? I doubt the actors or the series producers are that stupid to endanger lives like that when they simply fake it instead.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Could they be lying about that? I doubt the actors or the series producers are that stupid to endanger lives like that when they simply fake it instead.

Look, it's like countries and Democracy. The more a country's name claims democracy, freedom, and republic, the more of a totalitarian shithole it is.

The realness of this show is inversely proportional to how many times they claim it's real.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular

Well, there's Surviving The Cut...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYs4s9_Kmt0&feature=relmfu
    This is designed to hurt. This is designed to hurt. This is designed to hurt.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options

Wasn't there an MTV show that was pretty much Real World: Boot Camp? With less inter-personal drama because of the DIs? I only remember one scene where they were at the rifle range and the instructor was telling then how NOT to be afraid of the weapon. With the barrel pointed downrange, a student fired the weapon from his shoulder, head (stock braced on the helmet) and crotch (again, weapon braced).

There were the standard "talk to the camera" scenes, but mostly it was PT, classroom stuff and cleaning the barracks.

newSig.jpg