As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo III: 1.05 PTR notes, Enchantress no longer worth keeping around

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Two Ivory Towers dropped. In the same game. What have I done to deserve this?

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I've only gotten 1 legendary post 1.0.4 with ~170% MF (post Neph, so I don't have that much on gear). Still, any legendaries seem sweet to me, haha.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »
    @Cog I wanted to say thanks again, I took your advice and was finally able to move forward in act 2. I'm still occasionally getting killed, but that's mainly due to my lack of familiarity with teleport. Otherwise I'm just steamrolling through.

@Krummith I'm a little late replying, but glad it helped you out.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I feel the AH pain. I can't sell shit. Items that I think are fairly decent, that I'm pricing at what I think are fairly good prices simply are not moving. Haven't got a legendary item in about a week or two either, though to be fair I have been leveling up a wizard. Working on that all classes to 60 achievement. Wizard will be 60 by the end of the week, and I've got a mok at 41 already, might be able to get him there too.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The bigger question is why so many monks are using Blinding Flash? Way too many defensive skills in that "most popular" monk build (at least the softcore version, I can understand HC chars loading up on defenses).

My monk really only runs two defensive skills, Serenity and Breath of Heaven. Sometimes three if I swap out MoC for MoE, but that's only when I really need it (progression mostly).

For me blinding flash is an offensive skill. The increased damage snapshot for when activating sweeping winds plus activating overawe at the same time allows me to kill 2 fat goat elites in 3 seconds significantly increasing farm speed. Works well versus elites that like to run around as well.

XBL: Onslaught Fei
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Keemossi wrote: »
    I've trouble deciding what to upgrade next, with about 15mil. I think Zunimassas's Trail might be nice (the poison part is basically a flat 7-8% dps increase, right?), but I'd hate losing that pickup radius. Another option would be to spend the gold on a decent 1h+Thing of the Deep, and maybe crit dmg amulet too (since I'd lose crit and gain crit dmg), but I'm still not sure I like 1handers.

Character

I tried on a Trail that dropped for Ant and it was a 5k damage increase. I think a long term goal for me is to get the 4-piece Zunimassa's bonus (after I get enough passive magic find). My cousin was telling me that this particular flavor of damage increase works really oddly: it makes up some phantom damage number that doesn't include any +elemental damage, and adds a % damage based off of that. So you need a weapon with vanilla +min/max damage for it to work the best.
    e: RandomEngy, that's a great video. Did you mention how bears work better with walls though?

I'm using Grave Injustice without any additional mana regen, which works fine with 2-handed weapons. I should've probably switched to Vision Quest for faster 1-handers for better results. I do love that additional Spiritwalking from GI though.

One nice option for the luxury slot is BBV with Slam Dance. It's *kind* of overkill for many packs, but it's nice to be able to kill some annoying packs really fast. Like reflect damage packs while spiritwalking. I did switch back to Horrify with the armor rune for survivability though, it feels generally better. Dogs didn't seem to add much for me either, I'd rather have more options beyond relying enemies focusing pets (which doesn't seem reliable).

Oh, also: I'd like to get Maximus for enchantress, but meanwhile I'm using scoundrel with Buriza. He does quite a lot of aoe slow and the occassional freeze with the weapon, and it's cheap.

Thanks! I don't know what you mean by "how bears work better with walls". Generally walls seem to make bears work not very good. Is there a way you can use them to group the bears up or something?

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The bigger question is why so many monks are using Blinding Flash? Way too many defensive skills in that "most popular" monk build (at least the softcore version, I can understand HC chars loading up on defenses).

My monk really only runs two defensive skills, Serenity and Breath of Heaven. Sometimes three if I swap out MoC for MoE, but that's only when I really need it (progression mostly).

For me blinding flash is an offensive skill. The increased damage snapshot for when activating sweeping winds plus activating overawe at the same time allows me to kill 2 fat goat elites in 3 seconds significantly increasing farm speed. Works well versus elites that like to run around as well.

Agreed; Blinding Flash is an offensive skill to burst down elites. I don't really care about the blind (but I'll take it).

I didn't realize that SW based damage off time of activation though. If that's true, I need to change how I play.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Keemossi wrote: »
    I've trouble deciding what to upgrade next, with about 15mil. I think Zunimassas's Trail might be nice (the poison part is basically a flat 7-8% dps increase, right?), but I'd hate losing that pickup radius. Another option would be to spend the gold on a decent 1h+Thing of the Deep, and maybe crit dmg amulet too (since I'd lose crit and gain crit dmg), but I'm still not sure I like 1handers.

Character

I tried on a Trail that dropped for Ant and it was a 5k damage increase. I think a long term goal for me is to get the 4-piece Zunimassa's bonus (after I get enough passive magic find). My cousin was telling me that this particular flavor of damage increase works really oddly: it makes up some phantom damage number that doesn't include any +elemental damage, and adds a % damage based off of that. So you need a weapon with vanilla +min/max damage for it to work the best.
    e: RandomEngy, that's a great video. Did you mention how bears work better with walls though?

I'm using Grave Injustice without any additional mana regen, which works fine with 2-handed weapons. I should've probably switched to Vision Quest for faster 1-handers for better results. I do love that additional Spiritwalking from GI though.

One nice option for the luxury slot is BBV with Slam Dance. It's *kind* of overkill for many packs, but it's nice to be able to kill some annoying packs really fast. Like reflect damage packs while spiritwalking. I did switch back to Horrify with the armor rune for survivability though, it feels generally better. Dogs didn't seem to add much for me either, I'd rather have more options beyond relying enemies focusing pets (which doesn't seem reliable).

Oh, also: I'd like to get Maximus for enchantress, but meanwhile I'm using scoundrel with Buriza. He does quite a lot of aoe slow and the occassional freeze with the weapon, and it's cheap.

Thanks! I don't know what you mean by "how bears work better with walls". Generally walls seem to make bears work not very good. Is there a way you can use them to group the bears up or something?

If you stand with your back to a wall, the Bears will spawn a few feet in front of you instead of a few feet behind you, so you can send them out to longer ranges.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    My cousin was telling me that this particular flavor of damage increase works really oddly: it makes up some phantom damage number that doesn't include any +elemental damage, and adds a % damage based off of that. So you need a weapon with vanilla +min/max damage for it to work the best.

Here is the copypasta of the blue post I got that information from (OP is here):

The “+x% Elemental Damage” affix works by adding “x%” of your physical damage to your attack, in the form of the damage type listed.

So, really basic example:

Your physical damage is 100, and the item adds +3% Fire damage.
    You gain 3 extra damage to your attacks as Fire damage.

Things this takes into account:

Rings, mojos, orbs (etc) that have an “X-Y” damage affix (e.g. “1-2 Damage”)
    The base damage range of your weapon, before any elemental damage is added from the affix
    +Min or +Max affixes on weapons

(Note: It doesn’t benefit from “+X-Y Elemental Damage” affixes on weapons.)

We realize the current wording for this affix can be confusing, and it’s something we’d like to make more clear in the future. If you have any suggestions for how this affix could be better worded, we’re definitely interested in your suggestions. Just keep in mind that space is limited in item tooltips, and that whatever we use would need to be translated into all of our supported languages.

Can you please explain why it is coded to add 2 * (x%) min damage instead of x% min + x% max?

Note: I have personally done the math and I can tell you, without doubt, that it currently adds 2 * (x%) min and ignores the max damage on your wep.

I’ve reached out to our developers, programmers, and QA about the current functionality. Once I have more information, I’ll respond back to the thread.

Thank you for pointing this out!

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Here's my current DH build. The bow I am using dropped last night, and represents the best drop I've had all game:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Idx86-1456/hero/14919059

I've had a Changmail legendary drop in 70+ hours, which was pre 1.0.4. I've got a long way to go gear wise, but can farm Act 1 Inferno no sweat, and Act 2 decently although not nearly as quick.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    darklite_x wrote: »
    I feel the AH pain. I can't sell shit. Items that I think are fairly decent, that I'm pricing at what I think are fairly good prices simply are not moving. Haven't got a legendary item in about a week or two either, though to be fair I have been leveling up a wizard. Working on that all classes to 60 achievement. Wizard will be 60 by the end of the week, and I've got a mok at 41 already, might be able to get him there too.

I can't get an upgrade on the AH for anything close to a reasonable price and things are difficult enough for me right now that I would gladly overpay. Good stuff is pricey. Marginal stuff is near free.

Here's my dude if anyone has any ideas for under 10M upgrades. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MightyPuck-1624/hero/8825583

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    A chest with Str/Vit/Resist all and 3 sockets looks like it would be an easy upgrade. You need more Str overall and might need to sacrifice some Vit to get it. Gloves with crit/dmg and stats would be very helpful too, but probably pricey.

Smoogy-1689

• Options
    Smoogy wrote: »
    A chest with Str/Vit/Resist all and 3 sockets looks like it would be an easy upgrade. You need more Str overall and might need to sacrifice some Vit to get it. Gloves with crit/dmg and stats would be very helpful too, but probably pricey.

I'll give it a go.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Here's my profile for comparison... it looks like you're a little tankier than me (45k hp vs. 40k, +504 resist vs. +393), but I've got a bunch more strength (all told it results in a 6k DPS gap) and a little more armor. The intangibles I'm really missing is runspeed/boots and pickup radius, but my whole gearset was acquired for very little.

Given how much vit you have, maybe you could consider finding some pieces that grant +%/life and gobs of strength -- a helm socket in particular could do a lot for you.

• Options
    Yeah I've been hunting like crazy for a helm socket :( I think I'm going to ditch a gang of vit for str though and see how that plays. Right now I can't kill goblins which drives me crazy.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I got 4 legendarys in one day and haven't seen one since

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Finally got my DH to 60 and got to Inferno. Woo-hoo! Had to completely change around my build to beat Diablo successfully.

Still working on my pony staff, I can't get Izual or Diablo to drop the plans for the life of me. But now it's on to Act 1 Inferno and slowly working up my other characters.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So I was busy with some stuff this morning, and should have gone to bed. But a RL bud of mine wanted to do an act 3 run. So I say screw it, sleep is for the weak, right?

Probably my best run ever. 3 Legendaries. A Strongarm bracer I gave to my friend, a crap amulet who's name isn't even worth remembering, and a Grandfather which may fetch me a few mil. But that isn't the really noteworthy drop. I know they happen for people from time to time. THE drop. You know they do. The Winning the Lotto drop.

I think I won the lotto.
    wsvmt.jpg

Today was a good day.

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Goddamnit... congratulations on your good fortune, sir.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One would assume that it is insulting the RNG gods with its gloriousness.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    For shits and giggles, I checked both the gold and real money AH. There is no item with those stats for sale at all. I'm currently using it, do I put it up for the max gold buy out of 2 billion?

Thoughts? Opinions?

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Maybe look to see if there's an item that's got 4 out of 5 of the stats on it, then quadruple that.

• Options
    or if one has similar but a primary stat

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Honestly once you find a way to cash that in I don't know how you would play the game anymore-nothing you find again will ever come close to that

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Quite not gosu enough, but it's close!

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Good Lord, Congrats.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

Yeah, as far as I know it just adds % to physical damage. I'd quite happily take that bonus, as Skorn is purely physical.

I figured out what to buy first though: Stone of Jordan. It's awesome, like the best ring in the game. It's incredible how much it helps. And they're quite cheap too (at least decent ones, I got one with 28% elite damage and 4 Zombie Charger mana cost reduction).

In the long term I'm aiming for Zunimassa's too, at least for the 2 piece bonus with Trail and Marrow. They're really nice pieces.

Like Dehumanized already wrote. Bears can't spawn inside walls and such, so if your back is against a wall they spawn in front of you and have longer range. And if you're angled nicely against a wall or standing in a corner, they all go in a one long line that can almost double the dps on a single target. It's a neat trick in close spaces.

Keemossi on
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    HexDex wrote: »
    So I was busy with some stuff this morning, and should have gone to bed. But a RL bud of mine wanted to do an act 3 run. So I say screw it, sleep is for the weak, right?

Probably my best run ever. 3 Legendaries. A Strongarm bracer I gave to my friend, a crap amulet who's name isn't even worth remembering, and a Grandfather which may fetch me a few mil. But that isn't the really noteworthy drop. I know they happen for people from time to time. THE drop. You know they do. The Winning the Lotto drop.

I think I won the lotto.
    wsvmt.jpg

Today was a good day.

Congrats man... I need to play with you again for your luck to rub off on me.

I just ran a check and if you filter on

AS - 5
    Crit Chance- 7
    Crit Dam - 40
    Magic Find - 25

You get stuff ranging from 11mil current bid to 900,000,000 buyout. There is one with current bid on it from someone of 219,600,920 that has better on those 4 stats than yours but with 9 Max Dam and 135 Int instead of AR.

I guess it depends on what you think the AR in addition to those other stats makes it worth... maybe 200mil-1 billion?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's worth enough that I'd be tempted to just sell it in the RMAH and cash out. You're already blowing through the end game no problem. I don't really see a pressing need for you to use that thing when you can just sell it and, I don't know, buy Borderlands 2. :P

• Options
    You can easily make more for that in gold than $250 I would say...he'd be short-changing himself.

Smoogy-1689

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah that's worth more than $250. Try d2jsp, see if you get any really good offers there?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    It's worth enough that I'd be tempted to just sell it in the RMAH and cash out. You're already blowing through the end game no problem. I don't really see a pressing need for you to use that thing when you can just sell it and, I don't know, buy Borderlands 2. :P

RMAH would most likely lose him money. RMAH tops out at $250(211.65 cashed out to paypal).
    265 million gold sale price
    *.85(ah cut)
    225.25 million net
    x1.36(current gold price )
    $306.34
    x.7(ah and paypal cut)

So if he can sell it for more than ~265 million gold he can make more from Gold AH than RMAH using official channels. Now selling it directly to an individual could get him even more if you avoid the Blizzard single/double/triple fee cut.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    trolling the d3 forums can be amusing. so many conspiracy nuts there. did you know mf makes legendarys less likely to drop?

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    trolling the d3 forums can be amusing. so many conspiracy nuts there. did you know mf makes legendarys less likely to drop?

Trolls trolling trolls, no innocent victims harmed?

I thought you had to click the pre-release page chat gem 300+ times, otherwise mf stat doesn't work at all.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

So does the RMAH. When there's more legendaries listed on the RMAH, the drop rates go down, don't you know.

• Options
    MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    For shits and giggles, I checked both the gold and real money AH. There is no item with those stats for sale at all. I'm currently using it, do I put it up for the max gold buy out of 2 billion?

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'd give it to that Furie guy you play with... He seems like a nice chap!

:)

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Continuing my trend of exceptionally disappointing greens:

travpledge.jpg

Also got a 170 dex, 90 vit, 70 allres belt, so y'know. Win some, lose some.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Well, I guess you could toss that amulet on a follower, while that still exists...

• Options
    Always the disco with 5NV. Annoying.

― Marcus Aurelius

This discussion has been closed.