As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo III: 1.05 PTR notes, Enchantress no longer worth keeping around

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It will pretty much shift things back to the D2 loot model, where you will get rares that are good quite a bit, but the best loot will be legendaries (uniques). People have been screaming bloody murder for this to happen....so here you go. Blizzard is doing it.

Only at a very small fraction of the unique drop rate.

Roz on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Good, the unique drop rate in D2 was foolish. D3's is probably a little TOO rare right now, but I would never want to see it at legendary every 10 minutes level like D2 had.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Actually I just thought of something. With items now rolling affixes off of monster level, does that mean you have the opportunity to have a simply Godly 6 affix level 58 item drop in Act 3?

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Actually I just thought of something. With items now rolling affixes off of monster level, does that mean you have the opportunity to have a simply Godly 6 affix level 58 item drop in Act 3?

Well, the PTR patch notes aren't very clear....but they only said the ROLL would be based on monster level, they said nothing about the affix constraints, which could still be based on ilvl.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Presumably, yes. If that's how the loot drops are handled post patch. It would be possible to have lvl 58 shoulders for example with over 200 of one stat, which is not possible under current loot drops.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Leaked PTR data: http://www.diablofans.com/

Interestingly a lot of PvP stuff in there. You earn gold, exp and tokens that can be redeemed for items. Also, low level characters get stat-scaled up, implying there might be some stat normalization going on or at least minimum values everybody gets.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Uber_Despair - Vicious Blademaster

uber rakanoth confirmed

also confirmed: one-shots, everywhere

those are some attractive patch notes, but mostly I'm just glad BL2 is out to give me something to do until tuesday.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Followers, pets, and summoned creatures will no longer attack enemies that are in an idle state unless the player is within 10 yards of the enemy

Best note ever

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    so i actually heard some new dialogue.

my female dh getting catty with the enchantress.
    rather amusing.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Good, the unique drop rate in D2 was foolish. D3's is probably a little TOO rare right now, but I would never want to see it at legendary every 10 minutes level like D2 had.

I played a lot of Diablo 2 and never found a SOJ. I found 2 Griffon's Eye's and 1 Death's Fathom. You can download ATMA and I think it's drop rates are pretty much accurate and they are low. The reason there were tons of high end items in D2 is because of dupes originally and later bots. If you played D2 away from d2jsp, gear was hard to come by.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options

I played a lot of Diablo 2 and never found a SOJ. I found 2 Griffon's Eye's and 1 Death's Fathom. You can download ATMA and I think it's drop rates are pretty much accurate and they are low. The reason there were tons of high end items in D2 is because of dupes originally and later bots. If you played D2 away from d2jsp, gear was hard to come by.

I played a lot of D2, and so have others in this thread, and one of the absolute #1 complaints you hear in the D2 v D3 discussion is that uniques dropped so much more often in D2 than legendaries and top end rares do in D3. We've had entire pages long arguments about it. Sounds like you had pretty terrible D2 luck if you never once saw an SoJ.

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    I never had a SOJ drop. I had a character full of them at one point, though. It was the same for any of the HRs I had later in D2's life. I had a couple high-end uniques drop, but for the most part, I traded for them.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I'd never seen a SoJ drop, but seen tons of most other unique/set items. Course, that's because why spend a bunch of time farming normal for a level 30 drop when Act 3/5 hell exists?

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    SoJs weren't even the best loot you could acquire. None of the uniques could match to runewords and absurdly rolled rare/crafted/blue items with the exception of a few (Griffons's Eye for example).

The improved legendaries are a step in the right direction, but it's far from ideal.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    So I decided to check around and see what sort of setup is required for Ghom. "Nerfed", they said. "Just pack on the LOH and you'll be fine."

Yeah. Got him to 50% before I realized it wasn't happening. Tried to log out, but apparently didn't make it in time (also, game crashed right at 0 seconds.)

Fuck. I don't know that I've got the patience to drag another one up to 60. >.<

• Options
    Yeah, I'm not going to even try to get cocky and go past Act I on HC until 1.05.

Bad luck there.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    I think I may have found something worth trying to sell on the AH. Is this worth anything or should I just vendor them?

fl5CD.png

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular

I played a lot of D2, and so have others in this thread, and one of the absolute #1 complaints you hear in the D2 v D3 discussion is that uniques dropped so much more often in D2 than legendaries and top end rares do in D3. We've had entire pages long arguments about it. Sounds like you had pretty terrible D2 luck if you never once saw an SoJ.

I thought D2's tuning was closer to the mark than D3's though. Once people got serious into farming the drop rates definitely got silly, but it was also because of the nature of Meph/Pindle runs. If you just played through normally, it wasn't so crazy.

Then again, you also had Baal's 3/100000000 Zod drop rate.

• Options
    And we're getting the equivalent of Meph/Pindle runs in this patch. Which brings me back around to the original point, which is that Blizzard is aligning D3's loot system more towards D2's, and that it goes towards fixing a major complaint that this thread and the community at large has had.

• Options
    I don't know many people that want Meph/Pindle runs back, and I would be very surprised if ubers were the best way to farm(or, if they are, if you can do them perpetually without re-farming ingredients). Hellfire Rings are very random so it might be that the main reason to run ubers is to try to farm for a better ring.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Demon Hunter

Active Skills
    Bola Shot
    Explosion radius increased from 7 yards to 17 yards
    Skill Rune – Volatile Explosives
    Explosion radius increased from 14 yards to 20 yards

Holy shit

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The default Bola Shot is now a bigger explosion than the buffed Bola Shot

Basically it just freed up a rune

• Options
    No. You talk like you have an authority on D2's endgame loot. Uniques did not dictate the high end economy past 1.10. The only exception was the Stone of Jordan and that was because it alone triggers Uber Diablo bearing the Annihilus Charm. Runes were the de facto currency, because it led to really cool items and builds. Legendaries in D3 are wanted because they offer the highest DPS, not because they enable new builds. Runes in combination with perfect gems also allowed crafting really good items. Crafting in D3 is still not worth the trouble. They have to fix that.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't know many people that want Meph/Pindle runs back, and I would be very surprised if ubers were the best way to farm(or, if they are, if you can do them perpetually without re-farming ingredients). Hellfire Rings are very random so it might be that the main reason to run ubers is to try to farm for a better ring.

I wouldn't want something as quick and repetitive as Meph/Pindle, but I do kinda wish they had something a little shorter to offer than the status quo. After farming up 5 NV you feel like you're giving something up if you don't then proceed to kill practically everything else in the act.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Some details on Monster Power:
    Each MP level adds 25% MF, MP levels 1-3 add 10% exp each, 4-6 add 15% exp each, 7-9 add 20% exp each, and 10 adds 25%. The aggregate bonuses for +MF% and +exp% at MP 10 are therefore 250% and 160% respectively.

Edit: These are values in inferno and do break the 300% cap.
    Depends on how you define difficulty. The damage is barely increased, but the mob health is huge. Diablo goes from 8m health in P0, to 260m health in P10. So things just take FOREVER to kill.

Note that Diablo has about 14m health right now. So MP0 is a good deal easier than 1.0.4 - presumably with current loot/exp rates - while MP10 is insanely slower at almost 20x 1.0.4 HP values. I don't understand how that could be worth it for anybody for just those bonuses. Maybe it doesn't scale as much in multiplayer or something.

Zek on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    dps is gonna get more and more insane. and it's not like most people are killing diablo anyway, we're gonna have to see how it plays out on elites.

I expect whenever they get around to crafting we'll get something like runewords (just meaning a new top end) so there's definitely gonna be room for power growth. eventually the top end will be killing MP10 with the quickness.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I guess the assumption would be that MP1-2 would match what the game is at right now, then.

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Well even for people who can drop Diablo in a minute or two, what Zek is getting at is whether 300->550 MF is actually worth killing Diablo in 15 minutes instead of 1.

I guess we don't know if Blizzard has adjusted the MF curve or not.

Blizzard has admitted it to be true though, so I guess MP10 is just for people who want the challenge.
    How much difference would you say there is in difficulty between Monster Power zero and Monster Power 10?

WC: I guess, there’s different types of difficulty, is probably how I would start that. Right? There’s the number of monsters, there’s the affixes. But more importantly is the difficulty coming because I’m being one-shot by the smallest creature in the entire game? Or is it difficult because I’m always hitting the enrage timer?

For Monster Power in Diablo 3, what we decided was that Diablo 3 is very much an efficiency game. Players are always asking themselves, “How much loot am I getting per hour?” That’s a little bit of a dry way to reduce it. But I think that’s kind of always going on in the back of your mind.

So what we decided is, you can turn Monster Power to 10, and you might even beat it the day it comes out, but it might have taken, I don’t know, three hours to kill Diablo. So you conclude after that, “Okay, I did it. But it wasn’t very efficient, and it wasn’t very fun. So I’m going to turn the Monster Power back down. Not so much because it was challenging, but because it wasn’t efficient.”

That’s the real metagame, right? Everyone has their route, everyone has their run. That’s what we’re focused on.

Since MP doesn't change mLvl, the most efficient way to farm will simply be wherever you can consistently 1 shot mobs. For a lot of people, it'll be MP0, because +25/50/75 MF past 300 probably isn't worth adding on 50-100% more time.

Jibba on
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    So, I've been looking for Skorn's, trying to find a decent one at bargain basement prices. My efforts paid off today.

DTSYu.jpg

Not the best Skorn, but certainly better than the 4.8m I paid for it. Wheeeee. :D

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »
    Olorin wrote: »
    I think I may have found something worth trying to sell on the AH. Is this worth anything or should I just vendor them?

fl5CD.png

@Olorin Primary stats are pretty low, but overall those are solid gloves. I'm not going to make a guess at what you could get since I can't look it up myself, but for sure you should be able to sell those.

I bought myself a cheap thing of the deep yesterday to try out the increased pickup radius and I gotta say, it's going to be hard to go without from now on. Also swapped out some boots with slightly less protection for more pickup radius. I think I'd like to switch up my skills a bit to play off of this. Really I just want 1.05 to come out.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Huatahisit_zpse402ec43.png

Would you guys spend 20m on this

I wouldn't. The only boots without +move worth anything near that are ice climbers.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    So Monster Power just adds more health.

Why is it called Monster Power?

Well, this is a smart feature to implement.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it's players 8 which just mimics multipalyer games. what else did you expect

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    let's not forget perfect gems, the backbone of the d2 economy.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »

Them to implement it in a way that isn't lazy?

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    So I've seen a lot of WD's use leeching dogs and the toad rain in public games lately. Decided to check that out over lunch. Gotta say, not impressed by the leeching dogs, probably gonna stick with burning. The frogs require more analysis, but they seem like they could be a good replacement for what I was using (fire bomb). Also switched out locusts for manitou spirit barrage. Not sure if I like it any better, but it does let me keep a bit more range on the enemies which is nice.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    hopefully I'll finally get a legendary drop!

I'll miss my trail of cinders though

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

Them to implement it in a way that isn't lazy?

straight from diablo 2, the best game ever!

This discussion has been closed.