As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Kevin Durant's Achilles Memorial NBA 2019 Offseason Thread

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I can't take anyone stating that Draymond and Pachulia should be suspended seriously.

Like, come on now.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    There's no doubt that the game was reffed shitty, but many of the worst calls were in the Warrioilrs favor (like 2 Draymond strikes to the head that didn't get reviewed, not to mention the double Pachulia nut punch with no repercussions, the silly Damon Jones tech, the laughable flagrant for grazing Durants face). It probably landed in the Cavs favor, minus the suspensions Draymond and Pachulia should be serving, but dropping out on your team winning a title over it is the height of the fan entitlement that can make the Warriors so irritating.

For the record, I'm not a Warriors fan. I don't have a horse in this race.

Everyone should be disgusted by Game 4. Game 3 was already bad enough (and surprisingly no one talks about how blatantly biased the officiating was for that game because the Warriors still managed to win). But if you are the team that is clearly getting screwed by poor officiating, playing the game out only lends credibility to the outcome. Everyone should be leaving when officials are not doing their job properly.

You know who thinks that things like process and integrity aren't important so long as you get what you want in the end? Donald Trump.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I understand if you want to suspend a player for ticky tack whatever, take away a game check etc, but just don't do the review until the series is over and whoops it's enforced on the first game of the regular season.

idk, i don't want to see the finals decided by rando one game suspensions, if it's not flagrant 2 level i am not interested. if lebron had gotten suspended for a game for that iguodala nut shot it'd be just as dumb as it was last year.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    There's no doubt that the game was reffed shitty, but many of the worst calls were in the Warrioilrs favor (like 2 Draymond strikes to the head that didn't get reviewed, not to mention the double Pachulia nut punch with no repercussions, the silly Damon Jones tech, the laughable flagrant for grazing Durants face). It probably landed in the Cavs favor, minus the suspensions Draymond and Pachulia should be serving, but dropping out on your team winning a title over it is the height of the fan entitlement that can make the Warriors so irritating.

For the record, I'm not a Warriors fan. I don't have a horse in this race.

Everyone should be disgusted by Game 4. Game 3 was already bad enough (and surprisingly no one talks about how blatantly biased the officiating was for that game because the Warriors still managed to win). But if you are the team that is clearly getting screwed by poor officiating, playing the game out only lends credibility to the outcome. Everyone should be leaving when officials are not doing their job properly.

You know who thinks that things like process and integrity aren't important so long as you get what you want in the end? Donald Trump.

Hahaha oh shit! Is Donald Trump now the official Godwins comparison?

No doubt, officiating was completely fucked. Those refs choked hard. I just disagree with the assertion of how biased it was and I get irritated that Warrioirs fans want to act like an aggrieved and tortured fan base because their team lost literally one game. But yeah, not saying reffing was good or fair, I think it was just chaotically terrible hurting everyone around it. Kind of like . . . . Donald Trump!

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Referees were an outright disaster that game, and the stats being thrown around about the Cavs/Warriors bias relating to ref Mike Callahan should give pause to even the most conspiracy-averse NBA fans.
    • Cavs & Warriors last 7 meetings... w/Mike Callahan: Cavs 3-0 w/o Callahan: Warriors 4-0
    • With Mike Callahan officiating, including playoffs... GS: 4-4 in last 8 Cle: Won 11 straight (2 vs GS)
    Of course all statistics should be taken with many grains of salt, but I think inasmuch as the league influences a series, the extent of it is referee selection. Hard to imagine anything more formal than that, though.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Tinkles detected banned alias
    Reason: UnknownSaint

Man is a robot with defects.
    Kasyn

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I understand if you want to suspend a player for ticky tack whatever, take away a game check etc, but just don't do the review until the series is over and whoops it's enforced on the first game of the regular season.

idk, i don't want to see the finals decided by rando one game suspensions, if it's not flagrant 2 level i am not interested. if lebron had gotten suspended for a game for that iguodala nut shot it'd be just as dumb as it was last year.

I only think a suspension on Draymond was justified because of all the tech and flagrant points he has accumulated. Like last year. I mean, it's undeniable that both of his head shits were significantly worse than what happened to KD. Draymond gets reffed with much more lenoence than everyone else because he is so consistently acting out. He does shit that would get most other players a tech like 6 times a game.

Zaza should be suspended because you should not be able to punch other players in the nuts, straight up. I don't know how that could be a point of disagreement. I don't know what Iggy nut shot you are talking about.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    At the end of game 3 james gave Iggy a leg into the groin, I believe on his final shot. The argument goes since green got suspended for a groin punch in the finals Lebron should get one for a groin kick in the finals.

Of course this ignores the plethora of groin kicks green had delivered last season without suspension, but you know, whatever.

(Also note that knight thinks a suspension would be dumb, this is from other warrior fans )

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    At the end of game 3 james gave Iggy a leg into the groin, I believe on his final shot. The argument goes since green got suspended for a groin punch in the finals Lebron should get one for a groin kick in the finals.

Of course this ignores the plethora of groin kicks green had delivered last season without suspension, but you know, whatever.

(Also note that knight thinks a suspension would be dumb, this is from other warrior fans )

That argument makes no sense. Draymond wasn't suspended for a nut shot. He was suspended for an accumulation of technical and flagrant, and he eventually exceeded the playoff limit put written into the rules. If Lebron whacked Iggy in the balls or tried to, he should get a flagrant. But he won't be suspended because he hasn't been doing it all playoffs long.

This is the same reason I think Dray should have been ejected (one tech + 2 shoulda been flagrants), and likely suspended (I think he has 6 tech points, and suspension happens at 7). It's how the system is designed, anybody who doesn't get that is fundamentally misunderstanding what the rules are and why Dray was suspended last year.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

That argument makes no sense. Draymond wasn't suspended for a nut shot. He was suspended for an accumulation of technical and flagrant, and he eventually exceeded the playoff limit put written into the rules. If Lebron whacked Iggy in the balls or tried to, he should get a flagrant. But he won't be suspended because he hasn't been doing it all playoffs long.

This is the same reason I think Dray should have been ejected (one tech + 2 shoulda been flagrants), and likely suspended (I think he has 6 tech points, and suspension happens at 7). It's how the system is designed, anybody who doesn't get that is fundamentally misunderstanding what the rules are and why Dray was suspended last year.

Yea, but the NBA assessed that flagrant and thus the points after the fact with Lebron lobbying the league office between games.

I'm a sixers fan so I don't really care at all who wins, just that they're all bad in 4 years as the sixers hopefully get good. But the NBA losing control over their games and then punishing a guy after the fact sucks and makes me not want to watch the finals, which shouldn't happen.

edit: additionally, i think technicals because referees "don't like your tone" after they already let the game get wildly out of hand are also stupid and make the game about them. ain't nobody watched a sporting event for the dudes in black and white stripes.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

Yea, but the NBA assessed that flagrant and thus the points after the fact with Lebron lobbying the league office between games.

I'm a sixers fan so I don't really care at all who wins, just that they're all bad in 4 years as the sixers hopefully get good. But the NBA losing control over their games and then punishing a guy after the fact sucks and makes me not want to watch the finals, which shouldn't happen.

edit: additionally, i think technicals because referees "don't like your tone" after they already let the game get wildly out of hand are also stupid and make the game about them. ain't nobody watched a sporting event for the dudes in black and white stripes.

Good point. Should have been a tech or flagrant on the floor, and missing that and
    waiting to decide later is another good example of the refs not handling their shit well.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Dray only has 4 tech points so far, he's not at 6.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    Dray only has 4 tech points so far, he's not at 6.

Ok, fine. No suspension then. Just should have been ejected for one of the two shoulda been flagrants, and the tech (not to mention the retconned tech). It's fine though, whatever, refs suck, Cavs won, let's play game 5 without any Warriors fans jumping off a bridge.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Nice

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Well, there it is. Basically exactly how everyone predicted it before the season.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

I only think a suspension on Draymond was justified because of all the tech and flagrant points he has accumulated. Like last year. I mean, it's undeniable that both of his head shits were significantly worse than what happened to KD. Draymond gets reffed with much more lenoence than everyone else because he is so consistently acting out. He does shit that would get most other players a tech like 6 times a game.

Zaza should be suspended because you should not be able to punch other players in the nuts, straight up. I don't know how that could be a point of disagreement. I don't know what Iggy nut shot you are talking about.

Zaza did not punch anyone in the nuts. What you're looking at was his hand being ripped off the ball. He then hit the player in the leg in response to being fouled.

Edit: that entire sequence was amazing. LeBron punches zaza in the liver and then leans on him while attacking the ball. Shoves him to the ground while korver throws him to the ground by his neck and then schumptert grabs his arm and yanks it off the ball and people are mad that zaza's arms flew in the direction that schumptert threw them.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

Zaza did not punch anyone in the nuts. What you're looking at was his hand being ripped off the ball. He then hit the player in the leg in response to being fouled.

Edit: that entire sequence was amazing. LeBron punches zaza in the liver and then leans on him while attacking the ball. Shoves him to the ground while korver throws him to the ground by his neck and then schumptert grabs his arm and yanks it off the ball and people are mad that zaza's arms flew in the direction that schumptert threw them.

Whatever man. I don't think that's really a fair interpretation, but I also don't really care. The series is over, and the season is over. Warriors are the Champs, maybe the best team ever. Congrats to them.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Rockets acquiring Chris Paul and are pursuing Paul George too I guess? Gonna need more game balls.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I don't see any way the rockets can get Paul George

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Yeah with the types of deals I've already seen as having been involved in George trade talks, I just don't see where the Rockets have the assets left to get him - they already slightly overpaid for Paul.

Say what you will about the Warriors making the playoffs uninteresting, but their impact on the league has certainly made the offseason considerably more entertaining.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So we'll know in a couple of weeks if anyone loads up enough to take 4 out of 7 from the Warriors.

Then, barring any unforeseen injuries, we can not pay attention to the NBA until next July.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I don't see any way the rockets can get Paul George

The one I'm hearing more now is Melo. Paul George would fit in a lot better with CP3 and Harden though.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    No talk about Phil Jackson getting fired?

It's the end of an error!

Although I don't know what Jim Dolan was thinking, picking up the option a few weeks back.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Although I don't know what Jim Dolan was thinking, picking up the option a few weeks back.

You're mistake is in assuming Dolan WAS thinking

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »

Knicks have been irrelevant for a long time and will continue to be irrelevant. Just because they have NY in their name doesn't make anything they do interesting.

• Options
    So we'll know in a couple of weeks if anyone loads up enough to take 4 out of 7 from the Warriors.

Then, barring any unforeseen injuries, we can not pay attention to the NBA until next July.

The end-of-season result is far from the only reason to actually watch basketball. Last season was pretty great and featured the most compelling MVP race in my lifetime, plus plenty of breakout stars and storylines. There's enough going on in the league that I think this kind of cynicism is totally unwarranted.

• Options
    Kasyn wrote: »

The end-of-season result is far from the only reason to actually watch basketball. Last season was pretty great and featured the most compelling MVP race in my lifetime, plus plenty of breakout stars and storylines. There's enough going on in the league that I think this kind of cynicism is totally unwarranted.

I agree. I have always felt that to focus solely on championships is myopic. 29 teams are going to end their season having not won a championship. Unless you root for a glory franchise, or an unrepentant front runner, being a sports fan will never be worth it if you can't enjoy the day to day of watching basketball, watching young players develop, getting excited by big games and breakout performances, and all the rest. The championship is just one part of it.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular

I agree. I have always felt that to focus solely on championships is myopic. 29 teams are going to end their season having not won a championship. Unless you root for a glory franchise, or an unrepentant front runner, being a sports fan will never be worth it if you can't enjoy the day to day of watching basketball, watching young players develop, getting excited by big games and breakout performances, and all the rest. The championship is just one part of it.

A decade of waiting for promising young players to pan out does get pretty old though. Source: I am a Wolves fan. We're entering Year 11 of the post-KG rebuild and haven't been to the playoffs in 13 seasons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    trolololol kyrie is a celtic now
    bahahahahha

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Ainge held out for this?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    He got an IT replacement for a couple of years and a first-round draft pick. I think he made out like a bandit.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I thought that Boston traded away a first round pick in that deal. I'm not sure that Kyrie Irving is worth quite as much as they gave up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah mb got confused for a second there. I think the Cavs got a steal of a deal, and the Celtics gave up too much.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Celtics had assets, they could afford to pay out for a move like this, even if they paid a pretty steep price. Plus they were able to get out of the Isaiah Thomas dilemma while landing a young superstar they think they'll actually be able to build around.

I don't personally think you can win a title with Kyrie as your #1 unless your team is deep as all get-out, but it's still a move that makes a lot of sense for them. Was a good move for Cleveland, too, they managed to get a hell of a return on a player that wanted out, so they didn't exactly have an absolute ton of leverage to begin with.

What a crazy offseason this has been. I haven't been this excited to see what happens across the league this upcoming year in quite some time.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah I mean, the point of stockpiling all those picks was always to 'overpay' for a star; the wisdom of the 'can't trade four quarters for a dollar' analogy is that you gotta have more than four quarters

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah I mean, the point of stockpiling all those picks was always to 'overpay' for a star; the wisdom of the 'can't trade four quarters for a dollar' analogy is that you gotta have more than four quarters

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    You aren't going to win jack with Kyrie Irving as the best player on your team. He has been a defensive net negative across nearly all lineups for years now, including while playing alongside the best player in the world. If he can't bother to put defensive effort in games when he doesn't have to carry the vast majority of the offensive coordinating load, then he's not going to do it when he is "the man" on a team.

• Options
    donavannj wrote: »

A decade of waiting for promising young players to pan out does get pretty old though. Source: I am a Wolves fan. We're entering Year 11 of the post-KG rebuild and haven't been to the playoffs in 13 seasons.

Yeah, I mean, no one is saying being a fan of a perennially bad team is any fun. Wolves fans haven't gotten to have too much of the highs over the years. But, I'm saying, what about fans of like, say, the Grizzlies. They've had a good run, never really been a serious contender, but I'd rather be on their path then, like, the Suns right now.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    You aren't going to win jack with Kyrie Irving as the best player on your team. He has been a defensive net negative across nearly all lineups for years now, including while playing alongside the best player in the world. If he can't bother to put defensive effort in games when he doesn't have to carry the vast majority of the offensive coordinating load, then he's not going to do it when he is "the man" on a team.

meh isaiah was a huge defensive liability too, its not like they lost any d making this trade

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.