As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Kevin Durant's Achilles Memorial NBA 2019 Offseason Thread

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yeah the performance is almost impossible to pull out from the context. The rules and the game and the player pools are completely different - to normal people it may not seem like a big deal, but at the level of play we are discussing, small things matter a great deal.

So while you can make broad generalizations like "the best players of a certain era would probably be at least above average if not very good in other eras", that's not the same thing as saying something specific like "the Dream Team is always going to beat the 2018 Warriors in today's rules".

Like, I'm pretty sure that Wilt Chamberlain would still be one of the all-time greats regardless of era, based purely on his physical prowess. But does that mean he would have an easier time defending Steph Curry than he would Michael Jordan? How is his game impacted in the high-octane no-hand-check era vs. the man-to-man illegal-defense rule?

Jordan, for all his accolades as perhaps the GOAT, was never a great or prolific 3-point shooter. Would that impact his value in today's NBA? Entire positional skill set requirements have altered significantly since Jordan's time - there are players today who are considered mediocre or are out of the league entirely because they play the PF/C position but can't switch on defense and can't shoot the 3, and yet many of those players would be considered fantastic in Jordan's era. Even small forwards are now prioritized more for their 3P% than nearly any other fundamental skill.

What about Draymond? Would he be better in a no-zone defense because he can lock down literally anyone and not have to worry about modern offensive schemes, or would he be worse because he would be less able to leverage that skill set?

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Not to mention - how much better would players in earlier eras be with today’s advances in fitness and nutrition? I have to think if 3pt shooting had been focused on to the degree it is now, players before would’ve been better at it

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    1-Magic Johnson
    2-Michael Jordan
    3-Larry Bird
    4-Charles Barkley
    5-Patrick Ewing

Bench
    1-John Stockton
    2-Clyde Drexler
    3-Scottie Pippen, Chris Mullen
    4-Karl Malone, Christian Laettner(remember this guy?)
    5-David Robinson

Those are matchups at every position that no regular team ever can handle, I’m sorry. A great defensive team can possibly contain one or two options at a time but not the other 8 or 9 threats constantly coming at them all game. And then if for some reason this team can’t find the bucket, they are well equipped to turn on the lockdown defense of their own at every position for the full time of the game.

Maybe I’ve got a bit of rose colored glasses about the game played in my youth, I just can’t wrap my head around an argument thinking that any regular squad could come close to challenging their supremacy.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    so lets look at the best shooter on the dream team Larry Bird
    the guy shot .376 from three point range during the regular season and 0.321 during playoffs
    compare that to curry who shoots 0.436 during the season and 0.408 during playoffs
    even if we were to take larry at his best season in 1984-1985 where he shot 0.427, 2011-2012 steph curry still outshoots him at 0.455
    there's a reason people call curry unironically the best shooter to ever play the game

it doesn't matter how many times jordan can jam it down draymond's throat, if they can't keep up with the splash bros (larry legend is really the only one that's comparable), the point differential will just keep growing as it always does against every opponent they face that sucks at 3s

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    You know what blows my mind? Patrick Ewing was on the Dream Team, and Olajuwon was not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    You know what blows my mind? Patrick Ewing was on the Dream Team, and Olajuwon was not.

By 92 birds back was bad enough that he really didn't merit being on the team either, unless you are putting him there for the express purpose of talking shit on the court.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    so lets look at the best shooter on the dream team Larry Bird
    the guy shot .376 from three point range during the regular season and 0.321 during playoffs
    compare that to curry who shoots 0.436 during the season and 0.408 during playoffs
    even if we were to take larry at his best season in 1984-1985 where he shot 0.427, 2011-2012 steph curry still outshoots him at 0.455
    there's a reason people call curry unironically the best shooter to ever play the game

it doesn't matter how many times jordan can jam it down draymond's throat, if they can't keep up with the splash bros (larry legend is really the only one that's comparable), the point differential will just keep growing as it always does against every opponent they face that sucks at 3s

Are we just magically transporting them to play each other or are they growing up in different eras

The league didn’t even have a 3 pt line until birds rookie year - he wouldn’t have practiced them religiously like curry did. and it was like the mlb with strikeouts. Taking 3s had a stigma

Unless you think everyone in the world magically got inherently better at 3s since the 80s

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

You can see the 3pt percentage increased until all the people who never had a 3 pointer to practice were gone, then it leveled out

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    QED, bird would shoot 70% on 3s if he was born in 1995

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Curry doesn’t shoot such a high percentage with the likes of Magic, Jordan, Stockton, and Drexler blanketing him all night.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    QED, bird would shoot 70% on 3s if he was born in 1995

In my experience this is accurate.

https://youtu.be/vKZipv2h4VU?t=38

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I think the modern warriors could defend the dream team pretty well, if they were playing under the modern (lack of) illegal defense rules. They'd pack the lane and overload the isolation side and the dream team doesn't have enough shooting to break them out of that alignment

on offense they'd pull barkley/ewing/robinson into a pick and roll and light them on fire, same way they do with any modern team that plays a true center or plodding forward (shout to kevin love.) What'd be interesting is if the DT rolled out a 'small' lineup, something like jordan/pippen/drexler, with magic playing point and (I guess?) malone playing 'center.' If that team gets the benefit of 1990s-era hand checking they'd have a good chance I think

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    If the dream team goes small their lineup is probably
    1-Stockton
    2-Jordan
    3-Pippen
    4-Bird
    5-Magic

That lineup will do pretty well defensively against the Warriors and is virtually unstoppable offensively.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I don't see how you can say they would be "virtually unstoppable offensively." None of those players has ever seen a player or defender with the speed and length of a KD, and as was pointed out earlier, even the best shooters from that era have pretty pedestrian figures compared to the modern standards of what a good shooter is. Plenty of limitations for Draymond & co. to exploit, and they'd have to compete with shooters of a caliber they've never even come close to dealing with.

On the other end, only about 2-3 of the players in that lineup would be relevant defensive forces in that matchup, the rest would be treading water to borderline defensive liabilities against a collection of so many of the best offensive players in the modern league. I can't even really imagine how Pippen would deal with Durant consistently, whereas I could definitely see how the Warriors could herd Jordan or Bird into bad 2s and just choke them out through the sheer mismatch of scoring efficiency.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The Warriors have arguably the best pure shooter in the league on their team in Klay Thompson. They also have undisputably the actual best shooter in the entire history of the NBA in Steph Curry. Oh and that guy who refused the awesome nickname of the Slim Reaper.

I think it would be close and depends entirely on the rules you are using more than anything else.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    The Warriors have arguably the best pure shooter in the league on their team in Klay Thompson. They also have undisputably the actual best shooter in the entire history of the NBA in Steph Curry. Oh and that guy who refused the awesome nickname of the Slim Reaper.

I think it would be close and depends entirely on the rules you are using more than anything else.

It's two different eras of players pushing theirselves to different ideals is part of the problem.

Like Larry Byrd is probably one of the most competitive people to walk the face of the Earth and could only be stopped occasionally by Magic Johnson one of the most talented players - and maybe the most direct analogue to Lebron- to ever play the game.

Micheal Jordan was a crazy person and made Byrd look like he got up at Noon every day and drove to practice in his pajamas.

These guys would all be great players today.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

He hadn’t become a US citizen yet, so not eligible. Otherwise, yeah, he’d have been an improvement over Ewing.

Similarly, they should have totally had Shaq instead of Laettner. Like, wtf.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    The Blazers hometown paper posted an article giving 15 reasons why Lillard should leave

What the fuck

Also most of them are very very stupid

So It Goes on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

He hadn’t become a US citizen yet, so not eligible. Otherwise, yeah, he’d have been an improvement over Ewing.

I mean Shaq would have gotten about as much playing time as Laettner, honestly. Is the token college player going to get playing time over Ewing/Robinson or Malone/Barkley? Shaq is certainly one of the most effective players in the history of the NBA, but I hesitate to say he was one of the most skilled (he couldn't even hit 53% of his free throws over his NBA career). And Shaq before playing a single NBA game was just raw potential who could have very easily flamed out.

Also good point about Olajuwon not being a US citizen, I had completely forgotten about that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    The Blazers hometown paper posted an article giving 15 reasons why Lillard should leave

What the fuck

Also most of them are very very stupid

Didn't realize Matt Calkins wrote for more than just the times...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    There's only one great reason why Lillard should leave:
    If the warriors offer him a roster spot

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Tony Parker leaving the Spurs and going to Charlotte. Gonna be weird seeing him in a different uniform. Spurs are-a changin'

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The dream team would only have to beat the warriors once because then Durant would switch squads

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    All this Dream Team talk reminds me of how Isiah Thomas was blackballed off the team.

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    So Kawhi to Canada.

Yeesh. At least they shed DeRozan, that contract was looking real bad.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I was listening to some random sports radio and learned:

- Toronto just (like days ago??) told DeRozan they weren't going to trade him
    - Kawhi was sort of in the dark about the trade as well?
    - Toronto could possibly flip him to LA but why not just play a year with him and see if they make the finals, yknow? Unless he's a shitter and like, doesn't do his physical or something dumb like that

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Spurs without Parker and Kawhi is gonna be weird.

But then again, now that the West is briefly stacked with Lebron's team and the Warriors, the Spurs choosing to tank now might be a totally viable long-term choice.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Melo traded and bought out. Because he's washed.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I love the Kawhi trade

“What’s that, Kawhi? You won’t even talk to us? Well then have fun in Canada, prick.”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Yea, honestly, fuck Kawhi. Glad we got something out of him leaving.

Got another big too. Hope Pau can pass on some of his tricks while he can still do 'em.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Yeah OKC and San Antonio both made out pretty well in pretty tough situations. I feel bad for Demar, but I bet San Antonio's gonna embrace him hard, so that should help.

Gonna be some fun crowd reactions the first time the Spurs and Raps play in SA and Toronto.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular

I mean Shaq would have gotten about as much playing time as Laettner, honestly. Is the token college player going to get playing time over Ewing/Robinson or Malone/Barkley? Shaq is certainly one of the most effective players in the history of the NBA, but I hesitate to say he was one of the most skilled (he couldn't even hit 53% of his free throws over his NBA career). And Shaq before playing a single NBA game was just raw potential who could have very easily flamed out.

Also good point about Olajuwon not being a US citizen, I had completely forgotten about that.

Ever see videos of young Shaq? He's actually shockingly agile, it's great. I don't think the concern was so much that he was only raw potential at the time, but Laettner just had a more complete résumé and was closer to the center of the national consciousness at the time. May as well go for that if you're just dropping in the token college player who in either case wouldn't be expected to do much.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Spurs signed Dante Cunningham, a little more shoring up of our thin forward corps.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    The Suns finally fired their GM, every Spur is hurt, and Butler still hasn't been traded. The Celtics looked awful in preseason. Fultz isn't afraid to shoot, but Simmons still is.

Playoff predictions:
    1 TOR
    2 PHI
    3 MIL
    4 BOS
    5 IND
    6 WAS
    7 MIA
    8 DET

Miami will of course climb if they get Butler.

1 GSW
    2 LAL
    3 HOU
    4 UTA
    5 OKC
    6 DEN
    7 LAC
    8 SAS

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The Suns finally fired their GM, every Spur is hurt, and Butler still hasn't been traded. The Celtics looked awful in preseason. Fultz isn't afraid to shoot, but Simmons still is.

Playoff predictions:
    1 TOR
    2 PHI
    3 MIL
    4 BOS
    5 IND
    6 WAS
    7 MIA
    8 DET

1 GSW
    2 LAL
    3 HOU
    4 UTA
    5 OKC
    6 DEN
    7 LAC
    8 SAS

LAL above houston? Shit lakers above, utah/okc/NO/por? You been smoking something my friend. Lebron is good, but he ain't that good.

Also how did the clippers get on that list. Do they even have a single all-star left on that team?

And how are the celtics not the far and away #1 in the east. They took the cavs to 7 without two of their best players. They dominated philly (without two of their best players).

You have some bold predictions there.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    here's some better predictions
    East
    1. Doesn't matter

West/Champs
    1. GSW

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    I'm gonnna laugh my ass off if the Nuggets upset the Dubs.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I mean, lots of impossible things are funny to consider.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Everyone talks about GS being unbeatable, but houston was one anomalous quarter away from doing it.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Yeah but he didn't say Houston, he said Denver.

Also, one could (and I know it might sound ridiculous) credibly argue that the games that took Houston that close to taking the series were themselves extremely anomalous. GS pretty much abandoned its longstanding identity and took on an inferior version of the game that the Rockets optimized.

GS definitely isn't unbeatable, but I think they're definitely not as vulnerable as that series made them look, either.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Playoff predictions:
    1 TOR
    2 PHI
    3 MIL
    4 BOS
    5 IND
    6 WAS
    7 MIA
    8 DET

1 GSW
    2 LAL
    3 HOU
    4 UTA
    5 OKC
    6 DEN
    7 LAC
    8 SAS

LAL above houston? Shit lakers above, utah/okc/NO/por? You been smoking something my friend. Lebron is good, but he ain't that good.

Also how did the clippers get on that list. Do they even have a single all-star left on that team?

And how are the celtics not the far and away #1 in the east. They took the cavs to 7 without two of their best players. They dominated philly (without two of their best players).

You have some bold predictions there.

Let us clippers fans dream.

This discussion has been closed.