As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeland: Claire Danes will be watching you.

BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Social Entropy++
o-HOMELAND-SEASON-2-TRAILER-570.jpg?5

2011's best show is just a few short weeks of away from the start of it's 2nd season. And there is a pretty awesome trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh_TPjZJCRc

Character Descriptions below contain significant spoilers for season 1 inside the tags:

HOMELAND-Showtime-Crossfire-Episode-9-13.jpg
Claire Danes stars as our nominal hero, CIA Analyst Carrie Mathison.
I say nominal because she spent the entire first season illegally surveilling a returned pow war hero because she was convinced he was a terrorist agent. Oh and she also ended up fucking him and then telling him she was doing it, and then he actually was a terrorist but she dosen't remember that she figured it out because she's bipolar and had a complete mental breakdown at the end of the season. A TRUE AMERICAN HERO.

Nick_Brody.png
Damien Lewis is Nicholas Brody, Carrie's suspected terrorist. He was part of a marine sniper team that was captured and held for years.
Over the course of his captivity he befriended the young son of his captor Abu Nazir, who was subsequently killed in an american bombing attack. Brody and his partner turned and came home as part of a plot to assassinate the Vice President. Of course I say nominal again because despite getting into the same room as his target with a bomb strapped to his chest, he was unable to pull the trigger, getting talked down by his teenage daughter. He then killed his terrorist partner, and convinced the terrorist bossman to let him run as a sort of Manchurian Candidate.

3_228x264.jpg
Mandy Patinkin is Inigo Montoya Saul Berenson, a CIA division chief and Carrie's mentor. His beard is awesome and he is frequently Carrie's only ally against

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4N17qqX2Zkv5CcohENRreG_N4v__0OdsJtIvQ4gLcmfM09Pl7nYA4lwuUxQ
David Harewood as CIA Counter-terrorism Director David Estes. A former lover of Carrie's, now her direct supervisor
and along with Vice President William Walden one of the two men who authorized and then covered up the drone strike that killed Abu Nazir's son along with 81 other children.

Jessica_Brody.jpg
The lovely Morena Baccarin plays Jessica Brody the oft-naked wife of Nicholas, who had given her husband up for dead and had begun fucking his best friend during his five year absence.
They've done their best to make things work despite Nicholas' detachment, and while she is suspicious of his relationship with Carrie, she has no idea what her husband is really mixed up in.

dana_brody.jpg
Morgan Saylor as his teenage daughter Dana,
who is the only member of the family that knows that Nicholas is now a Muslim, and who was so shaken by Carrie's intrusion into thier home last season that she called Nicholas and begged him not to do whatever it was that he was going to do.

The first season comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray on August 28th.
51HwoQlzsoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here is a more straightforward trailer that sets up the first season if you are curious in checking it out for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4-KYAWPKzY

The season 2 premiere will be September 30th at 10pm, after the season premiere of the vastly inferior Dexter.

Claire Danes will be watching, will you?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Balefuego on

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    why would you spoil the ending of the first season before pimping the dvd for it

and that is a silly sounding ending.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I haven't watched this show but I've been meaning to

• Options
    The ending was awesome and what seemed silly to me was making an OP talking about what season 1 was about for the upcoming season 2.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I haven't watched this show but I've been meaning to

GG it was no lie the best show on tv of the 2011-12 season. Better than Game of Thrones, better than Justified, better than Parks and Rec or Breaking Bad or Mad Men.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    A friend of mine is a production assistant on this in Charlotte and it sounds pretty cool

The crew were all out drinking the other night and Damian Lewis came in, put his card down on the bar and said everyone's drinks were on him, and left

• Options
    Also he has been right next to both Claire Danes and Morena Baccarin and has yet to talk to either of them

• Options
    Was Morena Baccarin naked any of those times

because that happens on this show

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ok
    You sold me

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    What makes this show so good? I'm willing to give it a shot, but the plot twists sound sort of strange.

• Options
    What makes this show so good? I'm willing to give it a shot, but the plot twists sound sort of strange.

There's pretty much nothing it dosen't have. The performances are incredible across the board, particularly in the two leads, and the series is impeccably plotted and can achieve levels of tension and danger that only Breaking Bad can match. I'd agree that just reading a summary of some of what happens might make it sound ridiculous, but I assure you pretty much everything that happens is absolutely believable and grounded in the characters, that's actually one of the most impressive things about the show, that it walks this highwire act balancing the twists and turns of an espionage thriller with a focused character drama.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say it was better than Game Of Thrones or Breaking Bad but it was definitely an awesome show and well worth watching

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was better than Game Of Thrones or Breaking Bad but it was definitely an awesome show and well worth watching

I liked season 1 of Homeland more than season 2 of GoT or season 4 of Breaking Bad, is what I meant by that.

Overall Breaking Bad is a better show because there's a larger sample size of continued excellence, and season 3 of BB was one of the greatest tv seasons of all time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

I liked season 1 of Homeland more than season 2 of GoT or season 4 of Breaking Bad, is what I meant by that.

Overall Breaking Bad is a better show because there's a larger sample size of continued excellence, and season 3 of BB was one of the greatest tv seasons of all time.

Oh yeah for sure and I was just giving my opinion :)

It's a bloody good show at any rate

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I really enjoyed season 1, but most of the fun was really the uncertainty of whether Brody actually was a terrorist or not. The continual back and forth was what made it really engaging. Now that we know he is I'm not convinced that it will have the same appeal.

For all that I'll definitely be watching when it's finally shown here.

orthanc
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was a big fan of the first season, and I'll be tuning in for the second. May even pick up S1 on DVD when it's released.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Yeah, Bale, I dunno about spoiling all of season 1 in the OP. Never being sure either way was a big part of what got me to watch it.

Not the only reason by any stretch, I love Damien Lewis and they were all fantastic performances, but it was one of the few times that the mystery of it actually interested me instead of just annoyed me because it was very well handled.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I loved the shit out if the first season.

I also loved Claire Danes' performance. It was like nothing she had ever done fire and it was so refreshing.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    The first season was so good. Claire Danes and Damien Lewis put in some great performances.

Definitely watching the second season/getting the first

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Not a fan. At all.

• Options
    @godmode I'm interested to know why.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Back in the late 90's, when I was teenager, listening to Greenday, 311, RATM, Floyd, & such,

spending my evenings either skateboarding, rollerblading(both badly) around or just climbing up every last structure I could get to

I had the hugest crush on Claire Danes.

Behold, the 90's

• Options

I don't like the implication that a Marine would become a terrorist. I mean, of course it's happened before in some ways, like Lee Harvey Oswald, but because of the modern setting it feels more personal. And I don't like it.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »

I don't like the implication that a Marine would become a terrorist. I mean, of course it's happened before in some ways, like Lee Harvey Oswald, but because of the modern setting it feels more personal. And I don't like it.

No offense here godmode but you are talking a little bit out of your ass here if you haven't actually seen the show. Brody is in no way an unsympathetic character.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The OP has also been newbie proofed a bit, and I've added a trailer for the first season in case people are interested in checking that out on DVD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You had me at Mandy Pantinkin.

• Options

Yeah, that's understandable

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

It feels more "personal"? Do you think the series creator was sitting in his chair one day and though "how can I make a show that offends godmode the most? OH I KNOW"?

Because if so, you have an ego the size of an aircraft carrier.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    This actually looks really cool

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

It feels more "personal"? Do you think the series creator was sitting in his chair one day and though "how can I make a show that offends godmode the most? OH I KNOW"?

Hey

Hey

Shut the fuck up

Do you seriously think what you just posted?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular

Hey

Hey

Shut the fuck up

Do you seriously think what you just posted?

Maybe godmode sat in a chair and thought "how can I make a post that offends Hacksaw the most? OH I KNOW".

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options

That's not what I mean at all. It feels more personal to me as a Marine and Iraq veteran, whereas Oswald (in this comparison) was a veteran of another war and a product of a different generation.
    And @Balefuego, you're right that I'm completely talking out of my ass, but it's just looking at it and knowing what it's about tells me enough that it's not something I would enjoy watching.

• Options
    Hmm
    I don't know that Lee Harvey Oswald was the same sort of case

• Options
    Perhaps. He was just the first I thought of, considering he was a Marine that went on to assassinate a president after sympathizing with a foreign country.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Charles Whitman??

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Well, Whitman can't have been the first I thought of if I thought of Oswald first!

• Options
    @godmode

Season one spoilers in here
    Brody's motivations are much different than what you have in your head. He is a man who was left for dead, living in captivity for 8 years. The man who is holding him asks him to teach his son English and over a couple years of this he becomes very close with the kid - until a U.S. drone attack hits the school in their compound, killing the kid and 81 others, so he agrees to take this mission, not to attack his country but to get justice on the man who ordered and then covered up the drone strike. And in the end he isn't even able to go through with it. So it's hardly just some marine who gets a random mad on for his country and decided to bomb a bus.

It's fine if that still ain't your thing, but I think what you got in your head is not at all anything like what this show actually is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Well, Whitman can't have been the first I thought of if I thought of Oswald first!

i know that...but he was also upset and crazy and in the marines and killed lots of people. I'M JUST TRYING TO GIVE YOU EXAMPLES, FRIEND!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    I may be mis-remembering, but
    didn't he actually try and blow himself up, but the bomb failed to go off?

• Options

i know that...but he was also upset and crazy and in the marines and killed lots of people. I'M JUST TRYING TO GIVE YOU EXAMPLES, FRIEND!

That actually was the one I was trying to think of earlier and couldn't remember the name :P So good call.
    Balefuego wrote: »
    @godmode

Season one spoilers in here
    Brody's motivations are much different than what you have in your head. He is a man who was left for dead, living in captivity for 8 years. The man who is holding him asks him to teach his son English and over a couple years of this he becomes very close with the kid - until a U.S. drone attack hits the school in their compound, killing the kid and 81 others, so he agrees to take this mission, not to attack his country but to get justice on the man who ordered and then covered up the drone strike. And in the end he isn't even able to go through with it. So it's hardly just some marine who gets a random mad on for his country and decided to bomb a bus.

It's fine if that still ain't your thing, but I think what you got in your head is not at all anything like what this show actually is.

Admittedly that is better than the plot I had imagined. I don't know. We'll see.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Wait so you haven't even seen it.

It's a but unfair to judge it without seeing it dude.