UPDATE: For build result see a few posts down.
I'm planning on building myself a little server and before I pull the trigger it would be most welcome to what thoughts you all may have on the project.
Motherboard: ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E45M1I_DELUXE/#specifications
PSU: PICO 120+AC Adapter http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f
Memory: 2x2GB, likely Crucial but undecided
Case: SilverStone Fortress FT03-MINI http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=333&area=en
(The plan is to remove the fan and the frame for the optical drive)
Storage: SSD drives enough to hold OS, Music and perhaps a little extra.
- 100% silent, as in no moving parts.
- Able to Logitech Media Server aka. Slimserver and stream various music formats.
- 500 GB storage and room for moderate expansion.
- At least 4 SATA ports
- Digital video connection (DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort)
- Use as little electric power as possible
- Hardware must work with Linux (aka. no driver issues)
Nice to have:
- SATA 3.0, in order to get max benefit from SSD storage.
- USB 3.0
- Enough power to also stream FullHD video, should I one day need it.
I am wondering about:
- Will things keep cool enough without a fan?
- Which AC adapter to get (I'm in 230V country if that makes a difference)?
- The Silverstone case is crazy expensive. is there an alternative I have not spotted (one with similar chimney like properties)? Maybe I should build something myself - tips?
- I think the Motherboard is a good compromise between price, performance and features. A similar Intel solutions seems more expensive, but maybe I overlooked something?
- Does it matter performance wise if one goes with 2x2GB or 1x4GB and which will use less power?
- What did I forget to consider?
Bones heal, glory is forever.