As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wedding threads

MentalExerciseMentalExercise IndefenestrableRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright peeps, I need some help.

I'm getting married Friday, and the dress code is not my own.

I will be wearing black pants, a white button-up, and a 2.5in black, white and silver tie.

To my own wedding.

Yes, I will be dressed like a middle-schooler at his first formal dance.

So anyway, I'm looking for ideas about how to splash it up a bit. I've got a watch I'm happy with (steel band, blackface, chronograph). I'm going with black and grey argyle socks. I'd like something else to make me feel like a bit less of an underdressed schmuck though. Oh, and I'll probably have a silver tie clip.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
MentalExercise on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Go rent a wedding tux? Why do you have no say in what you're wearing?

Esh on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    There's no law that says you have to get married in a tuxedo, but it seems like you could at least wear a coat.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If you're not allowed to wear a jacket or a tux, there's not much you can do with white shirt/black pants. My best advice is to just make sure that everything fits you PERFECTLY so you that you don't look dumpy.

Esh on
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »

Because I am a man replete with wisdom, and I know my lady-love well.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options

What? Do you mean she's incredibly controlling? Tell her you want to dress up a little bit more. You're getting married for God's sake.

• Options

What? Do you mean she's incredibly controlling? Tell her you want to dress up a little bit more. You're getting married for God's sake.

:-p
    No, I mean I am happily compromising on my attire for a jointly thrown occasion. I would however still like to snap things up in a few small ways.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options

No, I mean I am happily compromising on my attire for a jointly thrown occasion. I would however still like to snap things up in a few small ways.

This doesn't make any sense. Are you doing a double wedding and the other groom doesn't want to wear a jacket or tux? Would you give is the details with what's going on so we can get a sense of things instead of being cryptic?

You can't wear a hat, don't even think about some sort of goofy suspenders or wallet chain. You could do cuff links to match the tie clip, but they'd look bizarre without a jacket.

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    Cufflinks. Srsly, nice cufflinks can make a man feel great (my past boss used to wear them quite regularly and they looked really spiffy on him), and you can do a matching tie clip if you want.

If your partner is cool with it, you could do a nice hat as well, but that has a stronger impact than what it sounds like you're wanting.

• Options
    ihmmy wrote: »
    Cufflinks. Srsly, nice cufflinks can make a man feel great (my past boss used to wear them quite regularly and they looked really spiffy on him), and you can do a matching tie clip if you want.

If your partner is cool with it, you could do a nice hat as well, but that has a stronger impact than what it sounds like you're wanting.

You don't wear a hat to get married. Unless you've got some sort of theme going and ALL the groomsmen are wearing them as well.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Definitely go for the tie clip, if for no other reason then to prevent the thing from moving around on you. Don't want to be fidgeting with it halfway through the ceremony.

Maybe a vest or a waist coat? A nice belt might dress it up a bit.

I don't know. It sounds like your pretty locked down to the black pants/white shirt/tie. If a jacket's out of the question, not much can be done to dress the outfit up without looking goofy.

• Options

This doesn't make any sense. Are you doing a double wedding and the other groom doesn't want to wear a jacket or tux? Would you give is the details with what's going on so we can get a sense of things instead of being cryptic?

You can't wear a hat, don't even think about some sort of goofy suspenders or wallet chain. You could do cuff links to match the tie clip, but they'd look bizarre without a jacket.

Because I'm not looking for relationship advice here, I'm looking for sartorial advice.

I agree, links without a jacket would look wildly out of place, even of I was interested in adding a waistcoat, hats in church don't exactly fly, suspenders should either be invisible or proper braces which I'm ten years too young to pull off, and wallet chains are for nightclubs.

I wish I had an appropriate pocket for a square, or button hole for a buttonniere. Perhaps a monogram on my pocket or cuff in grey or silver thread?

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options

Because I'm not looking for relationship advice here, I'm looking for sartorial advice.

I agree, links without a jacket would look wildly out of place, even of I was interested in adding a waistcoat, hats in church don't exactly fly, suspenders should either be invisible or proper braces which I'm ten years too young to pull off, and wallet chains are for nightclubs.

I wish I had an appropriate pocket for a square, or button hole for a buttonniere. Perhaps a monogram on my pocket or cuff in grey or silver thread?

I'm not trying to offer you relationship advice. I'm curious as to the specifics of the occasion so that better advice can be offered as to what you can possibly do with your outfit.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    A black vest and a pocket square. Does your wife have color in her dress? Take the most prominent color from that dress and get a pocket square in that color. Stick it in the vest pocket in a normal square fold (no triangles, keep it classy).

Also, the tie clip is a good call. Or, if you can find one on short notice (good luck), a collar bar instead. Not only are they functional, they are super classy looking.

Edit: also, shine the fuck out of your shoes. If you can't see your reflection they're not shiny enough.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    here are your options as i see it

hat: unless its outdoors, hats aren't for inside

pocket square: probbaly a good bet though you would need to clear it

vest: again, if you are already limited in what you will wear adding a vest won't fly

belt buckle: good though unless you are a belt buckle person, it might look weird

cufflinks: i disagree that it would look weird without a jacket so long as they weren't huge

tie clip: do it

watch: do it

though honestly, you are probably overthinking this need to spice it up. it really doesn't matter what the groom looks like, no one will be watching you. you just need to make sure your hair is brushed, your shirt is tucked in and you fly is up.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Buy a black suit tomorrow and get it altered immediately.