Options

Scrubbing Day!

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Just to clarify, peroxide and baking soda won't help your pans if you already use Pam on them. You're kinda stuck with it.
    But if you don't, totally give them a couple-hour "soak" with a runny paste of baking soda and H2O2. It's like magic.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    ThreeCubed wrote: »
    Cleaning your house in 90+ degree weather is the pits

Get drunk. I'm not kidding. I prefer drunk cleaning to drunk anything (including drunk sex)

Oh hey high fives. I always do clean-up for dinner parties while I'm still tipsy the night of, so I can wake up the next morning and be like "OOOH, the cleaning fairies and their magical bottles of wine visited!"

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ThreeCubed wrote: »
    Cleaning your house in 90+ degree weather is the pits

Get drunk. I'm not kidding. I prefer drunk cleaning to drunk anything (including drunk sex)

marg, legit question

is there ever a point where you do not prefer doing something blitzed?

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Oh god

the sensor inside my washing machine did not go off when it was full

I stepped into the hall, and wondered at first what I had spilled.

Then I saw all the water

so much water

spent about 2 hours getting up gallons and gallons. Many shammy cloths and a wet vac

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i really need to clean my room really bad

but i am so lazy!

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I don't own a vacuum cleaner, and it's starting to show and drive me crazy

there's this thing in the wall of the townhouse which functions as a vacuum cleaner, but the hose it attaches to has no length at all and my area is pretty spacious

at work we use one of those dyson vacuums when closing the store and it makes me want one so bad holy cow are they powerful. once used it to get up a ton of raw glass shards, no issue at all.

they're so expensive though!

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Oh god

the sensor inside my washing machine did not go off when it was full

I stepped into the hall, and wondered at first what I had spilled.

Then I saw all the water

so much water

spent about 2 hours getting up gallons and gallons. Many shammy cloths and a wet vac

That happened in my parents basement when I was little. Almost a foot of water sitting there when I got home from school. It was certainly enough to reach some of the power outlets, and the breaker box was in the laundry room too, so I'm not sure how that affected things.

This reminds me, I need to clean the drain cover in my basement in case something like that happens. It's got come calcium buildup plugging the holes.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    also I was plugging in an ancient box fan that, when I grabbed it from the basement I thought to myself, "this thing is totally a fire hazard"

didn't check the cord, was touching an exposed wire as I plugged it in

that stung

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Note to self, never visit ASimPerson's place

(Kidding)

But yeah I find the best case with roommates is having people who care about their living environment enough to nudge you into doing the same but not to such a degree that their neurotic cleaning compulsions leave you secretly littering belongings everywhere in an attempt to gaslight them.

Yeah, also part of it is I lived by myself before this so I kind of have too much stuff, which means that it's actually kind of a pain to try to clean anything in my room. I'm trying to buy a place right now, though, and along with the sense of ownership I know I'll keep it clean.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I don't own a vacuum cleaner, and it's starting to show and drive me crazy

there's this thing in the wall of the townhouse which functions as a vacuum cleaner, but the hose it attaches to has no length at all and my area is pretty spacious

at work we use one of those dyson vacuums when closing the store and it makes me want one so bad holy cow are they powerful. once used it to get up a ton of raw glass shards, no issue at all.

they're so expensive though!

I have a vacuum but it is total dogshit, and considering I have a heavy shedding dog that likes to track shit in from the yard I really need a good one. But same problem, dysons are expensive.

So does anyone know of a good quality vacuum brand that won't cost half a month's rent?

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    WarbleWarble Registered User regular
    I try to do vacuum on mondays, clean bathroom on wednesdays and clean kitchen on fridays. Then clean up surface clutter every day so things are kept reasonably clean and that part doesn't take much time anyway - maintaining is easier than letting it pile up. Of course, if i feel even slightly sick then it all goes to shit.

• Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    My dog sheds constantly, so I am locked in an eternal struggle of vacuuming dog hair. I bathe him every week, and about twice a week I brush/vacuum him, yet there is still hair everywhere! I think if I shaved him bald he would still find a way to shed.

I do have an ally in my fight against the dog hair though, my little robot Roomba.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    saturday afternoon, sunday morning are my cleaning times. I never get around to doing the whole clearing-dusting-vaccuuming-mopping of the whole apartment at once, but I usually manage to do most everything over a two to three week period. And my housemate is a neat freak and we both are very invested in keeping the kitchen clean at all times, so that helps (I don't do the bathroom as often as I should, I am a bad roommate. But she goes through ridiculous quantities of toilet paper, which I always buy, so I figure we're even).

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am the clean one in the relationship.

I feel I would prefer to be the messy one as you don't feel like an arsehole all the time.

• Options
    nah trust me, you feel like an arsehole. Just a different kind of arsehole. A lazy arsehole.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am currently knee deep in ironing.

It is the worst.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I "iron" by hanging wrinkly shirts in the bathroom while I take a long hot shower, or making sure I take stuff out of the dryer immediately and hang it up so it doesn't get very wrinkly to begin with.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    oh that's a thought. If I move to yet another rainy shithole I might finally have to invest in a dryer. Or at least make sure I have a bigger bathroom/laundry to hang stuff in. Spending two days trying to watch TV around a stuffed clothes rack every time i do any washing has been a major pain.

tynic on
  • Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    I haven't vacuumed the condo in over a month.

I have a Roomba.

What the hell is wrong with me.

• Options
    I'm intrigued by the Roomba, but it isn't very practical for our current place. Also you have to set up those sensors or whatever they are that guide it around confusing corners and what not.

• Options
    my mother has offered to buy me one so I can tell her what it's like, i've been ambivalent because my current place really doesn't require much vacuuming and they're expensive

but the funny thing is, I know several people about a floor away from my office who are designing an improved Roomba floor coverage algorithm.

• Options
    I have a neato.

It's pretty swell. (no wait that's not it)

He works well! But we haven't set it up for the new place yet.

• Options
    I think it would be nice because they can also do hardwood floors....which is pretty much our entire downstairs. But there is a lot of stuff down there, so I think it would have a pretty hard time navigating. Also, the cat hair seems to collect under the dinner table anyway, and there is zero chance it would be able to navigate the chair leg forest to clean under there.

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by the Roomba, but it isn't very practical for our current place. Also you have to set up those sensors or whatever they are that guide it around confusing corners and what not.

Well only if you don't have doors. When I run it in the bedroom, I shut the door and let it do it's thing.

When I run it in the living room/dining room, I use a trash barrel to block the kitchen and the invisible wall to block the den. Then I shut the bathroom and bedroom doors. Pretty easy.

• Options
    Yea, we have a pretty open floorplan downstairs. If I have to put up barriers and move the thing around, it really kills the convenience factor for me.

Like, if I invest in a danged robot that cleans, I want to just push a button and forget about it.

I'll have to wait till the NS-5 comes out to take over the world...

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Blake is obsessed with their Neato, guys. His little eyes shine with excitement every time it comes up in conversation

What's the deal with multi story buildings and something like a Roomba/Neato? I'd be at work for four days at a time, can I just set it not to go near the stairs or what? I suppose that would mean I would need two units to get both floors though...

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Is it

Is it really that much more efficient than vacuuming

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    do you need to vacuum more often than once every four days? cause you could just move it between floors manually

• Options
    I doubt it's more efficient, but it could be loads more convenient in the right space. The Neato does look pretty cool, I'll admit...

• Options
    I just want toys, basically

If Blake has one then I need to have one, but bigger

I have a small penis, you see.

But no seriously I guess i don't need one because I have no animals in the house and it probably won't get that dusty.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Well I mean I am a big proponent of clean floors and all! I just don't know that it wouldn't drive me and my dog berserk, and it doesn't take that long to vacuum even though I hate it.

The vacuum does take up lots of space, though.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Our cleaning schedule is currently "whenever someone wants to view the house." Having our house up for sale is a good incentive to get the place clean and tidy.

Someone wants to look around the place tomorrow and we came back from holiday at the weekend, so the house is packed full with dirty clothes, suitcases, souvenirs and general crap. It all would've probably stayed out for weeks but if it doesn't get put away then it's another thing to put people off our house.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    See I enjoy cleaning I just don't like picking up after people

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Man

Never teach children, then

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Actually I got really annoyed today because I was reading a tumblr of funny teaching-in-Korea gifs and one of them was "When a kid pukes in your class..." and then said "Not my job, not my problem."

Yes it is exactly your job the fuck is wrong with you

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Ha yeah that's why I stuck with high school education

I don't know it I'm just getting softer in my old age but teaching primary from about 9-12years does sound pretty great

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    sandra to be fair you are biased towards vomit related emergencies

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    How would a kid throwing up in your class not be your problem, exactly?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    That is selling me short. I am also adept at handling emergencies regarding poop, pee, spit, falling down and hitting your head, taking a softball to the eye, and having your friend tell you that they don't like you and don't want to play.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    tef hush i'm trying to make fun of sandra for vomiting all the time

7656367.jpg