As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D: Next: Playtest: Open Playtest: Round 2: Expansion!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    They could make the Monk into something nice if they offer up a good chassis and some weird & unique specialties.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Ranger combines both two-weapon and/or archery combat with mobility and "environment" or "creature" expertise.

Yeah the combat roles can be similar to a Fighter, but Rangers are more than just fighters. They're combatants who are focused on skirmish tactics (generally), and also are field experts at either particular locales (dungeons, forests, etc) or particular monster types.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i want rangers to go back to heavy armour giant killers

• Options
    Basically for me a Ranger is "combat style + area of expertise + mobility" The last one can take many forms, but rangers should have be designed, in my mind, with some way to be at least a little more mobile than someone else. Whether it's the ability to ignore encumbrance, or gaining an extra movement-related option based on a specific type of terrain/environment, I don't care, but they should have something.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    In general, I've always considered rangers to be more damage-dealers with skirmish/mobility traits that can be either hit-and-run strikers or mobile artillery, whereas fighters are more damage-mitigation sword-and-board frontline fighters that keep enemies from getting past them. Pretty big difference in mechanics.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    All I want is a class that can put a lich in a headlock while the rest of my guys hit him with chairs.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    All I want is a class that can put a lich in a headlock while the rest of my guys hit him with chairs.

Why not put him in a headlock, then hit him with a chair yourself.

Think big, Uriel.

• Options
    Huntera wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

Why not put him in a headlock, then hit him with a chair yourself.

Think big, Uriel.
    A Thri Kreen wrestler.

• Options
    And it looks like Sir Gorboc is going with

Yes!

DDT!

DDT!

The Lich is reeling from that one folks!

• Options
    Quadruple Chokeslam.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Double People's Elbow

• Options
    He could do some kinda mix of Pedigree and the tombstone pile driver.

• Options
    fuck, now i want to do a wrestling themed game.

Damn it thread.

• Options
    I definitely think there's a space for an archery style Fighter, but they probably wouldn't have the mobility of a typical archer ranger. They'd probably deal a bit more damage, maybe be able to shoot more, or shoot better.

Basically when I compare archer ranger to archer fighter, I think Aragorn and Legolas, respectively.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

Damn it thread.

Brawler Fighter, Monk, and I think there's an unarmed rogue build...somewhere.

Really just take any melee class and give them Master of the Fist feet (MC Monk, gives them the unarmed strike feature).

Fighters and Barbarians could do the most with it, I'd think. Maybe rangers, but they'd be more of a boxer.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm just thinking of a front line damage sponge with a lot of abilities that control the movement of several monsters or straight up lock down a single monster's movement.

Also you can go face and follow the rules or go heel and cheat with improvised weapons in the environment.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Damn it thread.

Really just take any melee class and give them Master of the Fist feet (MC Monk, gives them the unarmed strike feature).

Fighters and Barbarians could do the most with it, I'd think. Maybe rangers, but they'd be more of a boxer.

Man, if I was approaching this type of adaptive model I'd probably do it something like this:

Fighter = MMA (or something like Marine Corps Martial Arts style or S.C.A.R.S.)
    Barbarian = Barroom Brawler
    Monk = Traditional Eastern Martial Arts
    Ranger = Krav Maga
    Rogue = Quick-Striking Escapist (a lot of South American elements like Capoeira)

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Damn it thread.

Man, if I was approaching this type of adaptive model I'd probably do it something like this:

Fighter = MMA (or something like Marine Corps Martial Arts style or S.C.A.R.S.)
    Barbarian = Barroom Brawler
    Monk = Traditional Eastern Martial Arts
    Ranger = Krav Maga
    Rogue = Quick-Striking Escapist (a lot of South American elements like Capoeira)

But that's martial arts, not wraslin'

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Whatever!!!!

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    With Ranger they could focus on slaying & hunting of magical/unorthodox foes & creatures.
    I would love for Rangers to basically be The Witcher.

But The Witcher isn't in Appendix N so its never, ever going to happen.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Yeah, a Brawler Fighter with Master of the Fist can do really crazy shit.

Like have d12 unarmed attacks that grab, and throw.

The best is if you combo Barb + Monk somehow. Unarmed Strike plus Hurl Weapon = Hadoken

• Options
    I think the best way would be Fighter|Barbarian hybrid, MC Monk. That'd give you just about everything crazy. Your defenses wouldn't be too great, but you'd be able to do some crazy shit.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Just play a gladiator game, is what's important here

Gladiator games kick ass

You don't have to always do unarmed/wrestling matches either, you can have your armed matches, your scenario matches, and your bloodbowl

• Options
    yeah, but i want WWE but with like Generation X is a bunch of Kobolds, and mankind is a friendly orc with personality problems.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    The most recent PA podcasts with Mike Mearls are pretty interesting, hearing him describe the new mechanics and changes to the guys.

I'm excited to see the playtest they do at PAX this year.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Well we ended up not doing the playtest because I did not at all prepare to DM it. Instead we just played more Zombicide.

That game is so good you guys seriously you don't even know.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    thri-kreens are probably my most favorite playable race

• Options
    Hey guys I am thinking about running 4E again.

And looking at this stuff to make a really really cool dungeon.

http://wyrd-games.net/shop/-Dungeon-Rise-Dungeon-Essentials.html

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    thri-kreens are probably my most favorite playable race

I'm really enjoying my Mul. I think the only other race I've really played in 4e is human and eladrin.

Eladrin are alright. Teleport is fun, but it's just sort of alright. Human are so vanilla (which is the point).

Halfelfs are alright, but have just crazy awesome amounts of stuff they can do.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    So here's a quick run down of all the current and future playable characters in Zombicide (Obligatory Kickstarter link):

Goth Amy
    El Cholo (Danny Trejo from Machete)
    Claudia (no mold currently available)
    Dave (Jim Parsons from Big Bang Theory)
    Doug, the Salaryman (Michael Douglas from Falling Down)
    Eagle Chaz (Chuck Norris)
    Eva Duran, the Artist (Uma Thurman from Kill Bill)
    Ivy (Angelina Jolie from Mr and Mrs Smith/Salt)
    Josh, the Thug
    Troy (Bruce Campbell from Evil Dead)
    Marvin Redfield (Samuel L MF Jackson from Pulp Fiction)
    Crazy Ned
    Nick, the Bad Cop (Bruce Willis from the one where he plays a cop)
    Phil, the Cop (Andrew Lincoln from Walking Dead)
    Wanda, the Waitress

It's a fun game. Not all the characters are currently available, they're planning an expansion that's due out the middle of next year, and it's supposed to include the rest of the characters not already shipping, and zombie versions of all the characters.

Oh yeah almost forgot, there's one more playable character that hasn't been released yet, but will be in the expansion. Cardboard Tube Samurai.

Tox on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Doug is probably a Falling Down type.

Troy is Ash from Evil Dead btw. Heathen.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Doug is probably a Falling Down type.

Troy is Ash from Evil Dead btw. Heathen.

godfuckingDAMMIT!

How did I not catch that?

Tox on
  • Options
    At this point I'm certain the others are similarly referential characters, although so far Doug is the only one of the original six I can place.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I think the first six are just plays on stereotypical characters.

Anywho, super excited about the game. I was browsing kickstarter board games yesterday and man there's so much money I wish I could spend.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    At this point I'm certain the others are similarly referential characters, although so far Doug is the only one of the original six I can place.

Phil the Cop is, I'm 90% sure, Rick from Walking Dead. Wears his uniform around the clock sealed it for me.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    so yeah that alien thing is super fucking derivative

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Okay so that leaves Goth Amy, Josh the Thug, Crazy Ned, and Wanda the Waitress.

Here's "Marvin Redfield" (Definitely Sam Jackson from Pulp Fiction):
    pic1326110_md.jpgpic1302333_md.jpg

Here's some of Eva Duran (pretty clearly the Bride from Kill Bill):
    pic1311712_md.jpgpic1302822_md.jpg

this appears to be a working design of Claudia. Can't place who she's supposed to be:
    556993_332088780210497_866337464_n.jpgpic1305373_md.jpg

Here's a sculpt of CTS:
    pic1337278_md.jpg

Tox on
  • Options
    Are there any other good co-op board games that I should be checking out? I've been meaning to check out the D&D games, but haven't yet.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Here's a sculpt of CTS:
    pic1337278_md.jpg

Looks like they got some Monkey King in my Cardboard Tube Samurai.