As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On learning to sew

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been thinking about learning to sew - I'd like to learn how to make stuff! Clothing, handbags, that kind of thing, presumably with various leathers and fabrics. It'd just be like a fun hobby (not really serious).

Recommend books and other resources for learning? Good projects to start learning with? Things to watch out for?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I assume you have (or are looking to get) a machine? Making clothes by hand is pretty time-consuming.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Yeah. The best I can do right now is an old hand-me-down, but I assume that's better than nothing. We're not talking ancient, so I'm guessing it's okay. I dunno!

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    I took a beginner sewing class ages ago, here are some of the easier projects I remember we did:

-- scrunchie hair tie
    -- reusable grocery bag
    -- zip-up fleece hoodie
    -- pajamas
    -- medical scrubs
    -- jumper-style dress
    -- skirt

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I learned to sew on a machine made in the 1800's. It's not impossible. ;) They just tend to be a little more complicated to get going, I think, and they don't have all the fancy setting. Those aren't necessary though.

Scrunchies and grocery bags are a pretty good place to start. Pre-made patterns for clothes help idiot-proof things a bit, and you can re-use them. If you do that just make sure you keep everything together.

Different fabrics are useful for different types of articles, but don't be afraid to experiment! A plain pre-made pattern can seem really unique if you're willing to get creative and experiment with fabrics.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn