As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trekkies(ers)... enlighten me.

Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So lately i've gotten into watching the various series of Star Trek out there and i'm mostly wondering what the strengths/weaknesses are of each one? I'm catching them at irregular intervals and seem to be in the middle of their seasons like in every one. TNG is the series i'm most versed in, but am lost with the others.

I've always liked TNG, but it's the only one i've ever caught on any sort of regular basis during my tener of TV watching. I've watched quite a few Voyagers and DSN as of late and found Voyager to be quite enjoyable. I'm not sure what it is about DSN but i JUST can't get into it. I will admit i know very little about the character story lines in either (save for maybe Seven of Nine but you can't go an episode without them saying something like "but u wer savd frum teh borg zomg").

Now. I've been watching Enterprise most recently. I must say, i like it a lot, and am confused as i was to understand it was supposed to "suck". Why did it get cancelled? I watched an Enterprise and TNG back to back yesterday. On Enterprise, Tripp was trapped on a moon with an alien, when both of their shuttles went down, and they had to work together to get off the planet (Enemy Mine, yeah i know), while on TNG Riker was endowed with super magic powers by Q. Now while TNG is my all time favorite, i really welcomed the smidgen of "realism" Enterprise offers.

I was hoping some of you who are devout fans of Trek would give me your view points on the various series that are out there.

I haven't mentioned the original Trek as that's imo the no brainer. The classic series is enjoyable to watch for many, many reasons.

And through it all i gamed.
ssig-654898.jpg
Rogue_K on

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't understand the trekkie point of view either. I preferred Enterprise and Voyager to DS9 : they were more action and ass-kicking oriented. From what I saw of DS9 it felt to me like a "soap opera in space".

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I grew up watching TNG, I've seen every episode multiple times. By the time DS9 and Voyager came out I was working nights.

I've managed to catch up and watch both, DS9 is really good once the war with the Dominion starts. Voyager is pretty good throughout, I thought the stuff with the Borg was neat.

Haven't seen much of Enterprise, though Scott Bacula ftw.

Firefly > Star Trek

Yes, I said it.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I grew up with TNG, so of course to me that is the embodiment of Star Trek. I think what keeps my love burning is the ideals of the franchise- exploration and social philosophy. I liked how it portrayed humans in the future in such a positive light- completely unrealistic, but optimistic. Always open-minded, never malicious.

Then, of course, with DS9 and First Contact, the series decided to get "ugly," thanks or no-thanks to Ron Moore. I still liked it, but the way DS9 sacrificed friendliness for depth turned off some people. While TNG was more about exploration, DS9 was about self-exploration.

First Contact was a mixed bag because it showed Picard really losing it, for (as far as I can remember) the first time. Really a lot like Kirk's Klingon hatred, except he eventually turned around.

I think the problem with the last two series is that they had such fantastic potential, and pretty much fell into the episode formulas the previous three series had explored for so long. I'm pretty sure there were like three "Tripp gets stuck on a planet with an alien woman" episodes in a row. That said, by the time it was too late, Enterprise redeemed itself with its magical "storyline," which was pretty cool for anyone who liked DS9. I think if the whole series had been continuous, and lead up DIRECTLY to the formation of the federation, more people would have been interested. Instead it was same old-same old, but with different uniforms and many, many less cameos. Though Brent Spiner was nice.

So pretty much Enterprise offered that "smidgen of realism" but...I don't feel like it ever went all the way with it. Voyager renewed the idea of exploration, but in the end they boldly went where plenty had gone before. Year of Hell was, to me, what the whole show should have been. Especially with Kurtwood Smith.

I will spout this anytime anyone ever brings up Star Trek: I think they should do a Wolf 359 movie. It gives the opportunity for cameos from Picard/Locutus and Sisko while leaving room for another story to be told. It's the best situation, IMHO, to go for the "realism" again. And it wouldn't be hard to do- just another First Contact on steroids. Just my idea.

I think the prequel direction Paramount seems to be taking is...wrong. There are so many stories to be told in "present" continuity, and fans are fucking WAITING to find out what happens next (with the Borg, section 31, not to mention all the shit DS9 stirred up). We don't want to see some young, spunky Kirk, we've already seen Kirk and we liked him just fine.

(you know, I'm not even that hardcore. If everyone has nearly as much to say as I did, this is gonna be one long thread. Look what you've done.)

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DS9's Dominion Wars remains the best "arc" of any Trek Ive seen. Sure there are some clunker episodes, but when the war hits and things get dirty (as dirty as you can get in Trek) - the series is top notch. The conclusion of the war is a bit of a letdown, but they had to have some sort of "happy" ending. . .

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jhunter46 wrote: »
    Haven't seen much of Enterprise, though Scott Bacula ftw.

Well Enterprise is supposed to be when we were "newbs", if you will, to space. Just about EVERY SHIP they encounter is faster and more powerful. Also, everyone is afraid to use the new transporter technology. Except Tripp. He's a fucking rock.

ED! wrote: »
    DS9's Dominion Wars remains the best "arc" of any Trek Ive seen. Sure there are some clunker episodes, but when the war hits and things get dirty (as dirty as you can get in Trek) - the series is top notch. The conclusion of the war is a bit of a letdown, but they had to have some sort of "happy" ending. . .

See this is why i made this thread. What the fuck are the Dominion Wars? Who are the Dominion?

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Firefly = BSG > Star Trek = Star Wars

Fixed for truth, and double the blasphemy.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    See this is why i made this thread. What the fuck are the Dominion Wars? Who are the Dominion?

The Dominion are the Big Bad of DS9 for really the entirety of the season. If I remember they are introduced in the second season, and then shit EXPLODES in that seasons finale. They are composed of several races, with one "master race" (who will remain nameless - as it is a pretty big spoiler) controlling all the strings. The Dominion Wars, is the escalation of tension between the gamma and alpha quadrant - and it lasts from then till the end of the series, with other conflicts mixed in. They manage to up the ante several times during the course of the war. IRA BEHR and RONALD MOORE knew they had a good thing with The Dominion and - again - while there were some clunkers, overall the conflict was fantastic.

While I liked TNG - DS9 was easily the show I watched with any regularity. I gave VOYAGER/ENTERPRISE a chance - totally uninterested in either of them.

ED! on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Then, of course, with DS9 and First Contact, the series decided to get "ugly," thanks or no-thanks to Ron Moore. I still liked it, but the way DS9 sacrificed friendliness for depth turned off some people. While TNG was more about exploration, DS9 was about self-exploration.

You've completely lost me. Now i'm getting curious about DS9.

I think the problem with the last two series is that they had such fantastic potential, and pretty much fell into the episode formulas the previous three series had explored for so long. I'm pretty sure there were like three "Tripp gets stuck on a planet with an alien woman" episodes in a row. That said, by the time it was too late, Enterprise redeemed itself with its magical "storyline," which was pretty cool for anyone who liked DS9. I think if the whole series had been continuous, and lead up DIRECTLY to the formation of the federation, more people would have been interested. Instead it was same old-same old, but with different uniforms and many, many less cameos. Though Brent Spiner was nice.

LOL on the "Tripp on a planet" episodes. You are absolutely correct. Like the two i saw were back to back. Tripp on a planet with a hot princess, Tripp on a planet with a mad alien. Although i will adimit i'm a huge fan of the princess one. Nothing like pissing off some high monarch priestess whatever only to have her inviting you to her planet so she can get with you.

I'm still watching Enterprise but am understanding what you're saying about falling into episode formulas, but i really like that they're exploring more of the relations with Vulcans and humans, not to mention all the first contacts they're making. What else is fun imo is that the crew isn't protected by all those peace treaties Picard and crew can hide behind. The Klingons are out there and they want to kill you.
    So pretty much Enterprise offered that "smidgen of realism" but...I don't feel like it ever went all the way with it. Voyager renewed the idea of exploration, but in the end they boldly went where plenty had gone before. Year of Hell was, to me, what the whole show should have been. Especially with Kurtwood Smith.

I remember catching the very first two episodes of Voyager when the series was released. I remember thinking, wow they're WAY out there now... this should be cool, but lost interest not long after (mainly due to my attention span and what i had going on then). I then pick up the series later and they have a borg on board. I'm thinking i missed quite a bit and haven't seen much as far as "new discoveries" in exploration. They deal with the Borg on TNG as well.

Year of Hell? What is that?

I will spout this anytime anyone ever brings up Star Trek: I think they should do a Wolf 359 movie.

Wolf 359??

I think the prequel direction Paramount seems to be taking is...wrong. There are so many stories to be told in "present" continuity, and fans are fucking WAITING to find out what happens next (with the Borg, section 31, not to mention all the shit DS9 stirred up). We don't want to see some young, spunky Kirk, we've already seen Kirk and we liked him just fine.

Wait, they're not making a young kirk series are they?

It seems to me they should make another series, but not yet. I think Star Trek as a whole needs some rest. Let all the casual fans like me out there catch up to the various series out there. Then, when we're done with all that, start up a brand new one and watch everyone gravitate towards it.

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wolf 359

Hate that I know this:

Its the location where a gajillion Federation ships were raped by a single Borg Cube; I forget if it was led by Locutus or not. The event is refered to often as many characters have family, friends, colleagues that were involved in the battle.

ED! on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ED! wrote: »
    Wolf 359

Hate that I know this:

Its the location where a gajillion Federation ships were raped by a single Borg Cube; I forget if it was led by Locutus or not. The event is refered to often as many characters have family, friends, colleagues that were involved in the battle.

Wait, is that when Picard was taken over by the borg and they used his knowledge of Starfleet to own like 30 ships or something like that? Like 11,000 people died or so i think...

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yes. The first episode of DS9 deals with this as well.

ED! on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rogue_K wrote: »

You've completely lost me. Now i'm getting curious about DS9.
    Philosophically speaking, it was less straight forward. Characters were no longer perfect- Sisko and his hatred of Picard, Kira's struggle with extremism, Quark's general moral ambiguity, Bashir's spoilerish thing. Also, by having an actual *war*, things got generally...ugly.

One of my absolute favourite episodes was where, as I remember it, Sisko
    essentially lies to keep the Romulans on the Federation's side.

...And he sticks to it.
    Year of Hell? What is that?

Voyager runs into the Krenim, who pretty much trash the ship over the course of a year. Characters getting killed left and right, and eventually
    Janeway pilots Voyager into their ship, which is luckily also a time machine, so everything goes back to normal.
    The sense of decay and danger was what a lot of people wanted from the series. Though I liked it, I think that episode was exactly what it would have been had Ron Moore stayed.
    Wait, they're not making a young kirk series are they?

Movie.
    I think Star Trek as a whole needs some rest.

I agree. Mainly to let the collective disappointment blow over.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I don't understand the trekkie point of view either. I preferred Enterprise and Voyager to DS9 : they were more action and ass-kicking oriented. From what I saw of DS9 it felt to me like a "soap opera in space".

Man, what?!

The war with the Dominion wasn't enough for you?

That and
    Captain Sisko was the only one who ever threw and landed a punch at Q.

Edit: OH SHIT NERD FIGHT

Meiz on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meiz wrote: »

Man, what?!

The war with the Dominion wasn't enough for you?

That and
    Captain Sisko was the only one who ever threw and landed a punch at Q.

Edit: OH SHIT NERD FIGHT

Well that's the thing, I haven't seen enough of DS9 to know all about the war on Dominion. I only saw episodes once in a while on TV, which contained a lot of hanging out inside DS9, with conversations between a bunch of characters I knew very little at all.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well that's the thing, I haven't seen enough of DS9 to know all about the war on Dominion. I only saw episodes once in a while on TV, which contained a lot of hanging out inside DS9, with conversations between a bunch of characters I knew very little at all.

Same for me.

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yea I call those the "Oh were not getting shot at or killed" episodes of DS9. Just like BSG and LOST it cant be ALWAYS about the antagonists trying to gun for your head.

ED! on
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

It's not a unique opinion. Browncoats are the Jehovah's Witnesses of the web, dammit.

DS9 is the Star Trek for people who don't like Star Trek. There. *That's* blasphemy.

Synonymous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DS9 is just so much more accesible, w/o the nonsense of VOYAGER and the plain silliness of some of TNG. I am one of those folks who easily places DS9 above TNG.

Plus there was so much allegorical content in DS9 - the Bajorians based of the Indian caste system; Cardassia as North Korea, the Dominion as. . .well if Israel had super powers and the tech to conquer its enemies (clumsy example but thats the only one I could come up with).

So much more meat on that bone, than VOYAGER. Man I hated Species 2479 or w/e that junk was.

ED! on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DS9 eventually came to be my favorite, surpassing TNG. The story arcs were just so rich, the morality of the show was more complex, and I liked the characters more. Plus U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205, FTW!

TNG was great, but it was very black and white and I don't think I ever saw much character growth. Plus, the Borg got played out much quicker than the Dominion.

DS9 starts off slow, Rogue, but it does ramp up by the end of season 2 and turns into a bat out of hell.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Synonymous wrote: »

It's not a unique opinion. Browncoats are the Jehovah's Witnesses of the web, dammit.

DS9 is the Star Trek for people who don't like Star Trek. There. *That's* blasphemy.

It certainly isn't unique, but it's still fun to say. :P

And I agree about DS9. There is a certain amount of cheese in Star Trek, and DS9 and Enterprise are the ones, to me, that avoid it best.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Some of the worst acting I have ever, ever, ever seen was in Voyager. It's what happens when you give actors a long list of random technical sounding words as a 'script', some boring grey sets, stupid uniforms, and nothing else.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, DS9 was really fantastic but it was way more of an investment than the other Treks. The others were mostly standalone episodes. You could watch any one and you'd get it. DS9 really requires you to know the continuity. Watching a random episode here or there i not satisfying.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll admit to being a bit of a Trek fan. My favorite incarnation is Deep Space Nine.

It helps if you think of Star Trek as Shakespeare in Space. (This is where I point out that a lot of the Star Trek regulars have been Shakespearean stage actors.) Basically, the characters and plots are meant to be archetypal; you're not supposed to sympathize with Jean-Luc Picard as an accurate representation of a human being as you are with him being the archetype of a man who is cool and somewhat aloof on the outside but passionate and fiercely loyal to his allies on the inside. Ben Sisko is a rationalist who is surrounded by religious signs and omens he's struggling to integrate with his materialist worldview (imagine if the angel Gabriel came to Sam Harris or Loren Michael and told him that he was going to be the next great prophet and then it turned out that the angels were a highly advanced alien species who lived outside of linear time).

I've found that a lot of people who like Trek also really like Shakespeare.

The plots are interesting because they take certain sf conventions and concepts and distill them down to their essence. This is especially true of TNG, where each episode was a single self-contained thought experiment. (I had a philosophy teacher who used TNG episodes to teach basic philosophical concepts.)

As for the various shows...

TOS - Way too campy nowadays, it's interesting mostly as a historical artifact. It broke down some barriers in the late 60s; Star Trek combined with 2001 brought literary sf concepts to the masses. But now it's just too cheesy to enjoy on its own.

TNG - Skip the first two and seventh seasons. The meat of the show is in seasons 3-6. Like I said, think of every episode a self-contained philosophical thought experiment. Don't get too hung up on the technobabble; it'll drive you crazy trying to parse what the hell an isolinear chip is.

DS9 - My favorite. The characters and plotlines are more complex than in other incarnations. It's hard to get into; the first season has a lot of bullshit and bad acting but it gets better. If you make yourself watch the first season, you'll be rewarded by the time you get to season 3.

Voyager - Watch the pilot so you understand what's going on, then skip straight to season 4. The producers knew that their show sucked and was going to tank if they didn't put it on life support, so they overhauled the writing team between seasons 3 and 4. This was also the time they brought in Jeri Ryan, who was initially criticized for just being a pretty girl with a pair of tits, but it turned out that she was a much better actress than anybody expected.

Enterprise - Worthless. Skip it entirely.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Feral just trashed the original series, and on fair grounds. That having been said, if you really want to appreciate the original crew, and witness where they're coming from, and the contributions they made, look no further than Star Trek II-IV, and VI.

Those four movies cover the bases quite well, with II, III and IV serving as Trek's own trilogy.

Now I know alot of people love DS9, but I've always been uncomfortable with how esoteric it is. Its not a show for general audiences, its a show for Trek fans. Which, ironically, keeps it from being a show that's very interested in the principles Trek was founded on. But, all the same, its an entertaining piece of sci-fi.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    -+-_==

just wanted to show you this nice Enterprise Emoticon.

oh and yes, i got into star trek with TNG of course, but my favourite is DS9. It's the series with the best charakter development and the most dirt and best arcs. Think of DS9 as the star trek version of BSG.

so its ds9 > tng > enterprise > tos > voy

and BSG is above everything, it's the scifi show i always expected from voyager, being alone there outside against all odds and the charakters changing due to the hardoce situation. they had so much potential with voyager...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DS9 is hands down my favorite series, after the first season or two.

It gets way better after the Dominion are introduced.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    With DS9, you pretty much need to watch it in order from start to finish. Seasons One and Two can be a bit of a slog at times, and Three is pretty good. But once you get to Four you better raise those shields, Mister Chekov, because you're in for some of the very best of Trek.

Also, you'll avoid most of the shittiest episodes by checking the summary of each one on http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/DS9#Episode_List. Just skip all the ones where Ferengi characters other than Quark feature prominently. Also some of the ones with the Bajorans are pretty boring, but unfortunately a lot of main plot development takes place in those ones so you'll want to watch all of them.

Azio on
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ferengi Commerce Authority for the win ;)

Zek.jpg

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    With DS9, you pretty much need to watch it in order from start to finish. Seasons One and Two can be a bit of a slog at times, and Three is pretty good. But once you get to Four you better raise those shields, Mister Chekov, because you're in for some of the very best of Trek.

Also, you'll avoid most of the shittiest episodes by checking the summary of each one on http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/DS9#Episode_List. Just skip all the ones where Ferengi characters other than Quark feature prominently. Also some of the ones with the Bajorans are pretty boring, but unfortunately a lot of main plot development takes place in those ones so you'll want to watch all of them.

The Bejarions are whiny little wankers

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Feral wrote: »

You should elaborate more. I'm interested in why you feel that way.

I like Enterprise because it has very little to do with any of the other series. I feel that the fledgling Enterprise and it's crew have more in common with TOS as far as "going where no one has gone before" and the challenges inheirant than any of the other series. So far it's quite entertaining and LIKE the fact everything isn't scewed in their favor as it seems to be quite often in the other series' (what isn't the Galaxy class Enterprise capable of destroying?).

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

And I agree about DS9. There is a certain amount of cheese in Star Trek, and DS9 and Enterprise are the ones, to me, that avoid it best.

What, no mention of Babylon 5? Now that was a cool show. Plus, Whitestar Fleet FTW!

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BSG > Firefly > Star Trek = Star Wars

august on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Trenog wrote: »

What, no mention of Babylon 5? Now that was a cool show. Plus, Whitestar Fleet FTW!

How was the final season? I was never actually a follower of the series, but my father was and I caught a whole bunch of episodes spaced throughout its run. The only thing I think I'm missing out on is the latter part of the last season.

jothki on
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All I'll say about TNG is that, while I love the majority of it, I only watch episodes occuring Riker A.B. (after beard). I don't know why, but before Riker got the beard, the whole show was painfully hard to watch. Honestly, I still catch episodes of TNG almost everytime I see one on, but I reflexively change the channel if I see clean-shaven Riker. I thought the episodes were pretty much crap, I guess, for the first couple of seasons. I've always been this way.
    Also, I think the Klingon/Picard episodes involving family issues on planet Klingon were always my favorite.

gaming_librarian on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All I'll say about TNG is that, while I love the majority of it, I only watch episodes occuring Riker A.B. (after beard). I don't know why, but before Riker got the beard, the whole show was painfully hard to watch. Honestly, I still catch episodes of TNG almost everytime I see one on, but I reflexively change the channel if I see clean-shaven Riker. I thought the episodes were pretty much crap, I guess, for the first couple of seasons. I've always been this way.
    Also, I think the Klingon/Picard episodes involving family issues on planet Klingon were always my favorite.

Most shows don't hit their stride for a couple seasons. Riker growing the beard just happened to coincide with the show finally catching its groove. But yeah, if you see Riker with no beard, change the damn channel.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Trenog wrote: »

How was the final season? I was never actually a follower of the series, but my father was and I caught a whole bunch of episodes spaced throughout its run. The only thing I think I'm missing out on is the latter part of the last season.

Having watched that entire show twice, and owning the DVD box sets... you're not missing anything by skipping season 5. A meh ending to an otherwise good show, mostly because JMS thought he had only four seasons to complete the major arcs. It's mostly the leadup to the telepath war.

And DS9 ftw. TNG was also solid.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

Most shows don't hit their stride for a couple seasons. Riker growing the beard just happened to coincide with the show finally catching its groove. But yeah, if you see Riker with no beard, change the damn channel.

ZOMG i thought i was the only one who noticed this. Yes!! Everytime i see Riker without a beard i know i'm not going to enjoy it as much.

Rogue_K on
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

First rule of Star Trek: if an episode involves temporal anomalies, it's probably going to suck.

Yes, there are exceptions. (TOS - City on the Edge of Forever. TNG - Yesterday's Enterprise. DS9 - Past Tense I & II. The show finale of Voyager.)

Keeping in mind this rule, I have three simple words for you: Temporal cold war.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I like Enterprise because it has very little to do with any of the other series. I feel that the fledgling Enterprise and it's crew have more in common with TOS as far as "going where no one has gone before" and the challenges inheirant than any of the other series. So far it's quite entertaining and LIKE the fact everything isn't scewed in their favor as it seems to be quite often in the other series' (what isn't the Galaxy class Enterprise capable of destroying?).

I liked the idea of Enterprise. The 1st episode drew me in more then anything. The execution however was something I abhor. I didn't like the plot outline for the 1st season.

You know where:
    They had that contact who was communicating from the future

They should have expanded on just flying around and looking at shit. Getting into trouble. That sort of thing.

Then for some strange reason, I was under the impression I was watching the same fucking episodes from the original series as far as the plot goes, only it was with another crew on another ship.

The character development was weak.

Then they introduced
    The borg

At that point I was like, fuck this noise.

Meiz on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I grew up not liking Star Trek even with TNG being around. Eventually, I starting having a ton of free time in the afternoons and TNG reruns were being shown on UPN in order and I managed to catch about 90% of them. I thought it was a solid show and it led quite well to the movies (which I also saw). However, I didn't really feel anything for any of the main characters as they seemed to be a happy family for the most part.

Then I started to watch DS9. The show started off kinda bumpy but it had a lot of conflicts that dragged on through each season. You eventually get a sense that this isn't some random starship, but a big ass space station that is like a small country. There's politics, religion, scandals, psycho-bitches, and war in many episodes. Then there's the whole interracial deal that gets kinda weird.

I watched Voyager but a lot of it reminded me of reading retconned Marvel Comics. Especially when they played with time/space and then the whole psychic ghost deal just got kinda boring.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen