Options

Trekkies(ers)... enlighten me.

• Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Farscape.

Farscape is easily some of the best writing in any sci-fi television series of all time. Characters are well-written, Alien species are "believable", the overall plot (as well as the "stand alone episodes") is entertaining, and the show is honestly funny (without breaking it's own believability at the same time).

The show contains (as has been stated several times in this thread) what may well be the single best villain of any piece of sci-fi EVER. He is wickedly intelligent, charismatic and witty all while being a sadist in the truest sense of the world. He even has valid logical reasons for doing most of what he does. And in the end, after getting just a taste of what it is he's been trying to get his hands on the whole time he is humbled by it.

Lol Muppets.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    NOR wrote: »
    The show contains (as has been stated several times in this thread) what may well be the single best villain of any piece of Television+Cinema EVER. He is wickedly intelligent, charismatic and witty all while being a sadist in the truest sense of the world. He even has valid logical reasons for doing most of what he does. And in the end, after getting just a taste of what it is he's been trying to get his hands on the whole time he is humbled by it.

Fixed it a little.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The show contains (as has been stated several times in this thread) what may well be the single best villain of any piece of Television+Cinema EVER. He is wickedly intelligent, charismatic and witty all while being a sadist in the truest sense of the world. He even has valid logical reasons for doing most of what he does. And in the end, after getting just a taste of what it is he's been trying to get his hands on the whole time he is humbled by it.

Fixed it a little.

I have no objections to said fix.

I miss Farscape, if only because without it there is much less Scorpius being fucking awesome in the world.

NOR on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Fixed it a little.

You know you've got a good supervillain when you absolutely love the protagonists, and yet you still find yourself secretly pulling for the bad guy to win.

Also, as far as I'm concerned The Peacekeeper Wars never happened. After I saw that travesty I wished they'd just let it die when they had the chance.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Fixed it a little.

You know you've got a good supervillain when you absolutely love the protagonists, and yet you still find yourself secretly pulling for the bad guy to win.

Also, as far as I'm concerned The Peacekeeper Wars never happened. After I saw that travesty I wished they'd just let it die when they had the chance.

I take it you really really really really really liked D'argo?

NOR on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Fixed it a little.

A drop in the ocean. The whole thing stank like a bad fanfic.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Fixed it a little.

How so? I never noticed said "stank" out of any of the at least 5 times I've watched the whole thing.

NOR on
  • Options
    The NazariteThe Nazarite Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Star Trek the Animated Series. Then again, it's probably best that we forget about it.

Why? It's not so bad. The animation was serviceable, and the plots were decent. Close to being on par with TOS plotwise, at times.

The voice acting is among the worst I've ever heard though. Shatner sounds like somebody handed him a script and he literally phoned it in.

Whenever I watch an episode, it reminds me of a Robert Smigel cartoon on SNL.

Like you said, the plots are alright. But I think the animation is ridiculously bad, along with the voice acting, almost to a degree that it seems intentional.

The Nazarite on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just back on DS9 for a minute, it had some incredible set design. It felt like a real place for me; the "bridge" (I forget what it was called) reminds me a little bit of Battlestar's CIC, with the different levels and whatnot. The Promenade's different levels and airlocks, Quarks bar and that little place people went to eat replicated crap. Those hallways with the painting in the background that made it look like it receeded into the distance. All of it, awesome.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    TNG was my favorite, followed by Voyager.

Everyone hates Voyager for some reason but as a youngin I loved it for its richness and strangeness of thier adventures and didn't really care about the few bad points. When I got a bit older I started watching TNG and respected it more for its storylines and its ability to draw me in if I even watch 5 minutes of an episode.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just back on DS9 for a minute, it had some incredible set design. It felt like a real place for me; the "bridge" (I forget what it was called) reminds me a little bit of Battlestar's CIC, with the different levels and whatnot. The Promenade's different levels and airlocks, Quarks bar and that little place people went to eat replicated crap. Those hallways with the painting in the background that made it look like it receeded into the distance. All of it, awesome.
    Yeah, DS9 just in general had awesome set design. Probably because almost every location was non-federation, and they had to distinguish between Cardassian and Bajoran locations, so rather than the cookie-cutter Next Generation-esque corridors we got to see far more diverse set architecture.

The Cardassian computer interface was cooler looking, too.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hells of old, but:
    Toby wrote: »
    To be fair, every Star Trek series had its good and bad points, it's just that with TNG you can simply not watch the first two seasons, and with DS9 you can dodge anything about the Ferengi...
    Only if you do not enjoy awesome.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Some of the Ferengi episodes sucked but many were great.
    And Chase Masterson <3<3<3

BTW, DS9 Mirror Universe episodes were, also, made of pure distilled win.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    And Chase Masterson <3<3<3
    I would hit it. Two times.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah the DS9 mirror universe episodes were pretty cool. I liked how Worf was the leader of the (cardassian?) and Klingon alliance and had that supermassive ship.

I also found it funny how Brunt (that prick Ferengi) was a genuinely nice guy in the mirror universe.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Star Trek the Animated Series. Then again, it's probably best that we forget about it.

i wish they would do a new Animated Trek Show. That would be a nice change and i guess cheaper to produce. And you could really do some nice CGI effects for the fight scenes. hm...

what about the Starfleet Academy Show, any word on that? i was always a fan of episodes like "Lower Decks" and the ones in the academy with young Picard.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hmm, can't say I disliked it myself. I thought it was rushed, with far too much potencial character development being crammed into short periods to get the story through (as the rest of the show was never shy in taking its time with that), but it was a decent way to wrap up the series.

Glal on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Hmm, can't say I disliked it myself. I thought it was rushed, with far too much potencial character development being crammed into short periods to get the story through (as the rest of the show was never shy in taking its time with that), but it was a decent way to wrap up the series.
    It beats ending the seires with a cliff-hanger.

Yeah, it felt like they decided to cram an entire season into a 4-hour movie. Which is probably what they did. But aside from that, I liked it.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Yeah the DS9 mirror universe episodes were pretty cool. I liked how Worf was the leader of the (cardassian?) and Klingon alliance and had that supermassive ship.

I also found it funny how Brunt (that prick Ferengi) was a genuinely nice guy in the mirror universe.

"Smiley" FTW

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Sample Voyager plot: "We have invented a device that will get us HOME! The device turns out to have some flaws though. Rather than fix those flaws and try again, let us never speak of this again."

Not to mention my personal favorite: "We have a way HOME but we can't use it because of the Prime Directive so we'll refuse to use it. Furthermore, the culture that happens to be in possession of the means home has pissed us off, so we'll just torpedo the living shit out of them."

Of all the things that piss me off about the Star Trek universe, the Prime Directive ranks at or near the top. The worst one for me was that Enterprise episode where they let billions of people die a horrible death because of, basically, natural law. And that was before the Prime Directive even technically existed!

Ironically, though, Enterprise was the only series I saw all the episodes of, though I plan on rectifying that fairly soon once I get a few other DVDs out of the way.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    AngelofVengeanceAngelofVengeance Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One more of the reasons I prefer Wars to Trek. NO SHITTY PRIME DIRECTIVE! When aliens piss Wars characters off, they make with the blasting and blowing shit up and to hell with the moral connotations!

AngelofVengeance on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    One more of the reasons I prefer Wars to Trek. NO SHITTY PRIME DIRECTIVE! When aliens piss Wars characters off, they make with the blasting and blowing shit up and to hell with the moral connotations!

I've always found it ironic, given the supposed "liberal" messages Lucas tries to work into his films, that the Jedi's primary MO is "kill 'em all and let The Force sort 'em out."

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've always found it ironic, given the supposed "liberal" messages Lucas tries to work into his films, that the Jedi's primary MO is "kill 'em all and let The Force sort 'em out."

Indeed. The whole notion of morality in the Star Wars universe is ass. Lucas presented them as being noble knights/samurai--the good guys who protect the innocent and uphold justice for all. But all that gets tossed out the window in favor of whizz-bang action scenes where Jedis would cut down dozens of people simply for the sake of, "oh, wow, lightsaber dismemberments!" Not to mention the comlete disregard for public safety with scenes like Obi Wan and Anakin chasing that assassin chick around Coruscant. Character motivation and mythology take a back seat (like waaaay in the back of the bus) to FX sequences or providing a catalyst for some lame plot point.

Also: Vader killed God only know's how many people, but he's an okay dude at the end of ROTJ and gets to hang out with Yoda and Obi Wan in Jedi Heaven?

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Then there's the whole "one who will bring balance to the force". People, balance means that the two sides are equal. The Jedi were ruling supreme and the Sith were nigh extinct. What did you expect would happen?

Glal on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I wonder how many people died when they crashed Griveous ship onto the surface, taking a whole control tower with them.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never really cared how many people die in my fiction. :roll:

Does anyone have anything to say about the last three Trek movies? I haven't seen any of them and upon making this thread am interested. Not to mention my new desire to pick up watching DSN.

Rogue_K on
    And through it all i gamed.
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Star Trek 8 is really good. 10 I liked, a lot of people didn't.

9 never occurred (almost as bad as 5).

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Insurrection? That was just like an overly long episode of the show. It was pretty good; not great, but there are several worse.

Nemesis on the other hand was an enormous piece of shit. Easily the worst movie of any of them. The "ZOMG search for spock" ending is beyond pathetic.

The best movies are Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country (which is my favorite), and First Contact.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I still think Nemesis (10) was better than any of the odd movies. Maybe Generations (7) was as good as it, but none of the others.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    First Contact and Wrath of Khan are the only two movies I've watched more than one time and didn't get bored.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Insurrection? That was just like an overly long episode of the show. It was pretty good; not great, but there are several worse.

Nemesis on the other hand was an enormous piece of shit. Easily the worst movie of any of them. The "ZOMG search for spock" ending is beyond pathetic.

The best movies are Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country (which is my favorite), and First Contact.

I agree with your choice of movies. I know most people hated it but I liked Star Trek 5 too.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Dude... Nemesis was bad, but no fucking way was it as bad as The Final Frontier. The Final Frontier was written and directed by Shatner. They actually gave the reigns to the guy who wrote TekWar. There's no way that Nemesis managed to out-suck The God of Sha-Ka-Ri. No fucking way.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I like The Undiscovered Country and Generations best. The first because it's fantastic all around, the second because it's just so... I don't know. Atmospheric? Plus, Patrick Stewart gets a lot of screen time, and I wub him to death. I want to see a theatrical play starring him and Ian McKellen and touch myself.

:winky:

Glal on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    My problem with Nemesis was that they tried to remake Wrath of Khan with the TNG cast.

But all the TNG movies were basically TNG episodes with a higher budget. First Contact and Generations resembled a movie. Insurrection definitely felt like an extended episode.

I think the only way they could really make a TNG "movie" would to make it at least 2 1/2 hours long.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What they should have done for a TNG movie was something with Q. Can you imagine the insane powers they could give him with a movie budget?

But no, instead they had to send him over to Voyager, cut off his balls, and turn him into Janeway's bitch.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    What they should have done for a TNG movie was something with Q. Can you imagine the insane powers they could give him with a movie budget?

But no, instead they had to send him over to Voyager, cut off his balls, and turn him into Janeway's bitch.

THIS NEVER HAPPENED.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Richy wrote: »

THIS NEVER HAPPENED.
    I swear, if I'm ever in charge of the Star Trek franchise, the first thing I'll do is declare Voyager and Enterprise non-canon. Like, I'd have a scene with Riker and Troi looking at a ship:
    Riker: "Look, it's the starship Voyager. The first and only Starfleet ship to bear the name. It's just been built, and never went anywhere yet, and definitly not to the Delta Quadrant. I hear they're giving it to Captain Janeway. Err, I mean Wanejay. Not Janeway. There's no one called Janeway anywhere in Starfleet."
    Troi: "BTW, do you want to test my new holodeck program? It's about a fictional warp-five ship called Enterprise, under the command of the totally fictional captain Archer, and bears absolutely no relation to anything that has ever really happened."

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Dude... Nemesis was bad, but no fucking way was it as bad as The Final Frontier. The Final Frontier was written and directed by Shatner. They actually gave the reigns to the guy who wrote TekWar. There's no way that Nemesis managed to out-suck The God of Sha-Ka-Ri. No fucking way.
    This is a bit like arguing about whose shit tastes worst.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ST:V at least had some entertaining Kirk-Spock-McCoy dialogue.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Swimming BirdSwimming Bird __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    The entire serise is in serious need of a reboot.

Swimming Bird on