Options

Trekkies(ers)... enlighten me.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It fights for position with TNG.

Although I'm not too thrilled with the new new Dr Who. Christopher Eccleston's interpretation just did it for me far more than David Tennant's, whose reaction to everything (and I do mean everything) seems to be "oh, you wonderful, silly humans, how wonderful you are. Did I mention humanity is awesome? :D".

Glal on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Glyph wrote: »
    Incidentally, where does Bablyon 5 fit in (if at all)?

I know this is harsh, but it always struck me as, stylistically, the 80's soap of sci-fi. All shitty cameras, shitty acting, shitty special effects, and so on.

The story may be awesome, but I was never hooked enough to give it a try.

Although Vorlons look really cool. And the make-up was good.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zsetrek wrote: »
    Incidentally, where does Bablyon 5 fit in (if at all)?

I know this is harsh, but it always struck me as, stylistically, the 80's soap of sci-fi. All shitty cameras, shitty acting, shitty special effects, and so on.

The story may be awesome, but I was never hooked enough to give it a try.

Although Vorlons look really cool. And the make-up was good.

I'm glad someone said it. I know B5 apologists like to insist that the special effects don't matter, but the sets looked like cardboard and the CGI... it's simply below the threshold necessary to maintain any suspension of disbelief.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Can't say I ever had a problem with the way B5 looked.

Also, apologists? What the fuck...

Glal on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BSG = ST (All) = Firefly = SG:SG-1 = SG:A = Farscape

Yeah I'm not a good critic since I like everything I watch regularly, but in the end I'm never as cynical as you guys on TV shows.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What? B5's CGI is awesome. The spacefights in B5 are a million times beyond anything else, except BS:G. And it has a lot more of them.

Yeah, the acting is poor with the exception of a few characters, but other than BS:G, that holds for every scifi show.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MacGyver > Knight Rider > A-Team = My secret Identity > The Smurfs = Saber Riders / The real Ghostbusters * That-Show-with-the-Alien-Dad-speaking-out-from-the-glass-Cube-where-his-daughter-could-stop-Time

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's not pretty, but I'd daresay it was probably the best use of special effects shots for space-travel till Firefly and BSG.

I mean, there's actually a sense of movement and scale, and probably because it was so relatively cheap to do, they could go to town with CGI shots.

Compared to about a good %90 of non-DS9 Trek episodes where a battle consisted of;

Tactical: "Sir, they're attacking !"
    *camera shake*
    Tactical: "Our shields are down to %99!"
    Captain: "Give them a full spread of torpedos! Fire phasers!"
    *BEW BEW klaxon noise*
    Tactical: "Sir, they are disabled."
    Captain: "Good job, people."

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you forgot the ticking clock(a device used in virtually every TNG episode)

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you forgot the ticking clock(a device used in virtually every TNG episode)

And my favorite part of ST space battles. When things go badly, as they almost inevitably do, and the shields hit single digit percentages, so everything goes wrong! Ensigns get sent flying over railings in slow motion! Random computers start sparking or releasing smoke! The whole place shutters like the transmission's busted!

Honestly, that stuff makes it hard for me to take Star Trek fights at all useful. Just like how, three centuries in the future, we still have to deal with boarding parties with basic gunfights.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shield percentage made no sense anyway.

*boom*
    "One direct hit. Our shields are down to 50%!"
    *boom*
    "Another direct hit. Our shields are down to 15%!"
    *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom*
    "Multiple direct hits. Our shields are down to 10%!"
    *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom*
    "They've been ass-ramming us for multiple hours. Our shields are down to 9.95%!"
    *Months of being shot at nonstop later*
    "Our shields are down to 9.94%!"

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i wonder why no one mentioned Andromeda in this thread so far. and i just found out about it today that it has "Gene Roddenberry" in the title. i mean, THAT can't be a good sign, can it? never watched it.

and you know how i got on andromeda today? by reading Michael Hogan (Colonel Saul Tigh from BSG) imdb entry... (btw. he only starred in 1 episode and it's airing Mon. Mar. 26 2:00 PM SCIFI Andromeda The Leper's Kiss) what a coincidence.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i wonder why no one mentioned Andromeda in this thread so far. and i just found out about it today that it has "Gene Roddenberry" in the title. i mean, THAT can't be a good sign, can it? never watched it.

For the same reason no one's mentioned Earth: Final Conflict.

Also, what ticking clock?

Glyph on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The remaining time left on Rick Berman's credibility?

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »

The remaining time left on Rick Berman's credibility?

That pool ran dry when he cited "franchise fatigue".

Glyph on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

and you know how i got on andromeda today? by reading Michael Hogan (Colonel Saul Tigh from BSG) imdb entry... (btw. he only starred in 1 episode and it's airing Mon. Mar. 26 2:00 PM SCIFI Andromeda The Leper's Kiss) what a coincidence.

I was just about to ask about the Gene Roddenberry space series that starred Kevin Sorbo, but you beat me to it.

Honestly, they should have just called it "HERCULES... IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!".

Also,
    MacGyver > Knight Rider > A-Team = My secret Identity > The Smurfs = Saber Riders / The real Ghostbusters * That-Show-with-the-Alien-Dad-speaking-out-from-the-glass-Cube-where-his-daughter-could-stop-Time

... I used to watch that when I was a kid. Wasn't the cube just a representation of her dad, filled with her dad's personality so that she could ask it questions from time to time and not her real dad?

Anyway, thanks to you assholes I'm going to have to start looking for seasons of the Star Treks, FarScape, new BSG, and various movies. Thanks a lot.

Einhander on
  • Options
    AngelofVengeanceAngelofVengeance Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why are people being so harsh on Star Wars. It seems to be so low on so many lists. I mean sure, it's full of gaping plot holes and inconsistencies. But that's to be expected with so-god-damned-many canon sources. There's six movies, okay, then there's hundreds of books, that's fine, thousands of audio-tapes, getting a little ridiculous here, tens of thousands of comics, getting pretty pissed off here.

Oh well, they're good movies (i've never touched the books), and they do what they're supposed to, to entertain. TOS always seemed to try too hard to send a message about racial equality for my liking. I'm not a racist, but you don't have to club me over the head with this equality bullshit for a half hour.

Besides, which is more entertaining? Tall, imposing, asskicking villain in black armour who can crush someone's larynx with his mind? OR man with speech impediment (He. Talks. Like. Every. Word. Is. It's. Own. Sentence.)

AngelofVengeance on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Star Wars isn't really sci fi anyway.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think the prequel trilogy and the "remastered" original trilogy ruined Star Wars for a lot of people. At least, it ruined it for me.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Richy wrote: »

*boom*
    *boom*
    *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom*
    "They've been ass-ramming us for multiple hours. Our shields are down to 9.95%!"

They're on a logarithmic scale?

Earth Final Conflict was good during the first season. Then they got rid of Boone and brought in Kincaid and it got stupid.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2007
    I am watching Voyager on Spike right now, and oh boy does Jeri Ryan know how to act. Her multiple personalities from the borg interlace is spectacular.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That was actually one of the Voyager episodes I rather enjoyed.

If only because it had Jeri Ryan acting somewhat normal.

I also loved the nazis on the holodeck episode. Don't hurt me.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rygar wrote: »
    I am watching Voyager on Spike right now, and oh boy does Jeri Ryan know how to act. Her multiple personalities from the borg interlace is spectacular.

I thought she did a passable Doc Zimmerman.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Feral wrote: »

*boom*
    *boom*

Earth Final Conflict was good during the first season. Then they got rid of Boone and brought in Kincaid and it got stupid.

And then they lost Kincaid and the Taelons. But somehow they thought that they still had a show.

Glyph on
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That-Show-with-the-Alien-Dad-speaking-out-from-the-glass-Cube-where-his-daughter-could-stop-Time

"Out of This World".

Synonymous on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why are people being so harsh on Star Wars. It seems to be so low on so many lists. I mean sure, it's full of gaping plot holes and inconsistencies. But that's to be expected with so-god-damned-many canon sources. There's six movies, okay, then there's hundreds of books, that's fine, thousands of audio-tapes, getting a little ridiculous here, tens of thousands of comics, getting pretty pissed off here.

For the dudes here who are into more into Star Wars than I am, which of the books are usually considered "good"?

Treeloot on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Treeloot wrote: »

For the dudes here who are into more into Star Wars than I am, which of the books are usually considered "good"?

The Thrawn Trilogy (sure it has a better name than that, but I don't know it), and some parts of The New Jedi Order/ Youzzhan Vong War (which has some good writing in it at points, but is more important for fucking with every previously established bit of SW).

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_Trilogy is fucking great stuff. It's really the only thing worth reading, and is a better trilogy than the prequels were by far :P

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Stuff written by Timothy Zahn.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why are people being so harsh on Star Wars.

Because Lucas butchers his own mythology and character motivation. I hate when character motivations and mythology fall victim to shoddy writing for the sack of bad plot development, which was the downfall of the entire mythology of Star Wars. Lucas' scripts never gave the Jedi any true moral grounding outside of a few scenes in Ep IV and V. The only true grounding we get with the Jedi is Obi Wan first telling Luke about the Jedi and the Force in Ep. IV and Yoda training Luke in the swamps of Degobah in Ep. V. Other than that, it was all bullshit action scenes in Eps. I through III and Lucas's scripts made the Jedi look like a bunch of fucking Rambo wannabes trying to get cast in Die Hard XX. Star Wars would've been better off if it stuck with emulating Kurosawa's samurai flicks from the 50s, Leone's spaghetti westerns... or, hell, Kurosawa from the 80s with Ran. What we eventually got from Lucas in Eps. I through III were a fucking lame shadow of what could have been.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I liked both Shadows of the Empire and Cloak of Deception.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Feral wrote: »

*boom*
    *boom*

And then they lost Kincaid and the Taelons. But somehow they thought that they still had a show.

My dad loved all those Saturday serials: this, Xena, Hercules, even Bruce Campbell's short-lived one. And even Mutant X. I saw a bit of them with him in between school years and such. I think the general concenus on Final Conflict is that it really went to hell in the last season, when it replaced all the semi-deep enemies and intrique with alien Wolverines with glowing claws.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    even Bruce Campbell's short-lived one.
    The Adventures of Brisco County Jr?

That show was glorious. It's also like #8000 on the beautiful things FOX killed list.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think the general concenus on Final Conflict is that it really went to hell in the last season, when it replaced all the semi-deep enemies and intrique with alien Wolverines with glowing claws.
    Not since Dexter's Lab has a series so self-destructively jumped the shark.
    Senjutsu wrote: »

That show was glorious. It's also like #8000 on the beautiful things FOX killed list.
    It was everything Wild Wild West should've been. So many broken dreams.

Glyph on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited March 2007
    I think the general concenus on Final Conflict is that it really went to hell in the last season, when it replaced all the semi-deep enemies and intrique with alien Wolverines with glowing claws.

It was everything Wild Wild West should've been. So many broken dreams.

FYI old episodes are viewable on aol tv.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Einhander wrote: »

... I used to watch that when I was a kid. Wasn't the cube just a representation of her dad, filled with her dad's personality so that she could ask it questions from time to time and not her real dad?

it was sort of like a telephone.

and haha: Burt Reynolds was the voice.

and btw, that show is ontopic ;) The girl played in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"- Mika - Episode:Covenant

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    WillyGilliganWillyGilligan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

He also had a very short lived one called Jack of All Trades. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220906/

WillyGilligan on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, Dexter's Lab really went down the drains when Genndy and Craig left for other shows. Luckily the character design also turned to utter shit, so it's easy to know when to keep channel switching.

The new episodes are just... what the fuck? It's like someone looked at Family Guy, went "wow, those 5 minute skits of driving a joke into the ground through repetition really are hilarious" and designed the series around it.

Glal on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I the only one that hopes that Lucas dies so the IP becomes fair game and we can actually start seeing some quality films in the Star Wars universe?

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I miss the days when Lucas + Spielberg = awesome. Nowadays the former is butchering his own universe whilst the second is making... I dunno... war movie #15? What the heck IS he doing these days?

Glal on