Options

Trekkies(ers)... enlighten me.

12345679»

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    Am I the only one that hopes that Lucas dies so the IP becomes fair game and we can actually start seeing some quality films in the Star Wars universe?

Star Wars will be copyrighted for 70 years after Lucas dies

even if he keeled over tommorow, nobody could touch it until 2077

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The first movie came out a year before the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act was put in, which means that its copyright under it could be questionable.

Glal on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    To confirm it, all they would have to do is apply for an extension.

Empire and Return of the Jedi would definitely be covered under it, though

(70 years is insane)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    I miss the days when Lucas + Spielberg = awesome. Nowadays the former is butchering his own universe whilst the second is making... I dunno... war movie #15? What the heck IS he doing these days?

uhm, butchering another great universe...with a project called Indiana Jones IV ?

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I miss the days when Lucas + Spielberg = awesome. Nowadays the former is butchering his own universe whilst the second is making... I dunno... war movie #15? What the heck IS he doing these days?

uhm, butchering another great universe...with a project called Indiana Jones IV ?

[vader] Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! [/vader]

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I the only one that hopes that Lucas dies so the IP becomes fair game and we can actually start seeing some quality films in the Star Wars universe?
    Glyph wrote: »
    Not since Dexter's Lab has a series so self-destructively jumped the shark.
    Yeah, Dexter's Lab really went down the drains when Genndy and Craig left for other shows. Luckily the character design also turned to utter shit, so it's easy to know when to keep channel switching.

The new episodes are just... what the fuck? It's like someone looked at Family Guy, went "wow, those 5 minute skits of driving a joke into the ground through repetition really are hilarious" and designed the series around it.

Now put those concepts together. If Genndy could do on the big screen what he did with Clone Wars, I just can't imagine a more fitting heir to Lucas' laurels.

Glyph on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've somehow avoided Trek outside of the TNG films and maybe a dozen TNG episodes. I always liked it but just never got around to seeing more, as I don't generally watch much TV. Today I saw my first episode of Voyager and liked it. From what you guys are saying it does sound like a huge amount of potential was wasted, though, perhaps I was lucky and got a good episode too.

I have my days free at the moment and have discovered they're showing TNG, Enterprise and Voyager from 1 till 4 every weekday on SkyTwo now. I plan to geek the fuck out on this for the remainder of my free-days.

No DS9 though, and you guys make it sound so awesome. So what you're saying is that I should buy the DVDs?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Star Wars will be copyrighted for 70 years after Lucas dies

even if he keeled over tommorow, nobody could touch it until 2077

That would be kind of ironic, all things considered.

Einhander on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I've somehow avoided Trek outside of the TNG films and maybe a dozen TNG episodes. I always liked it but just never got around to seeing more, as I don't generally watch much TV. Today I saw my first episode of Voyager and liked it. From what you guys are saying it does sound like a huge amount of potential was wasted, though, perhaps I was lucky and got a good episode too.

I have my days free at the moment and have discovered they're showing TNG, Enterprise and Voyager from 1 till 4 every weekday on SkyTwo now. I plan to geek the fuck out on this for the remainder of my free-days.

No DS9 though, and you guys make it sound so awesome. So what you're saying is that I should buy the DVDs?

Or at the very least rent them...I know that most libraries are pretty up-to-date in the DVD department. Oh, and i do work at a library so I guess I'm one of those dudes who sneak around boards posting about how awesome their shit is.....Read a book kids! Stay on drugs!

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Aibyn wrote: »

Or at the very least rent them...I know that most libraries are pretty up-to-date in the DVD department. Oh, and i do work at a library so I guess I'm one of those dudes who sneak around boards posting about how awesome their shit is.....Read a book kids! Stay on drugs!

My library has a "free box" of old books, and I hit that up at least once or twice a month. Tons of old scifi for the taking. I'll have to check their DVD section. Lucky for me, I have two city libraries, and each one is only about a half hour bus ride.

Einhander on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aibyn wrote: »

We have a pretty tiny library here, plus I'm one of those people who likes to own DVDs, hoarding instinct I think. Would be nice to be able to watch at my leisure too, thanks for the pointer though.

SUPERSUGA on