Options

[PATV] Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 5, Ep. 1: Spec Ops: The Line (Part 1)

13»

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    @Wildcard608: Escapist had it up August 28. That's where I first saw it, though it may have been reported earlier elsewhere. I don't know when the writing for this episode would have been completed, probably before that to allow time for animating. Either way, I couldn't blame EC if they steer away from research at Escapist, given their past experiences there ;)

• Options
    Wildcard608Wildcard608 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    @Driscol: Didn't I say insults wouldn't make me take you seriously? You might have read it but you clearly didn't think about it enough to notice what I actually said. I said the same thing in my private message so I don't see how it is "being two faced" . I never called you an idiot or said you never think. If you want to hold onto your anger for no reason than it's your right. Just don't expect anyone to take what you have to say here seriously if you behave this way.

@RatherDashing89: Good point. I can't find the article though. Did the Escapist article have any sources? If so maybe EC could have looked it up before at those sources. It still might not have worked though sense this probably came out even earlier than the sources.

Wildcard608 on
  • Options
    The link is lurking in my previous post...waiting....
    Anyway, source is here. Interesting stuff to read either way. I still wouldn't knock EC for not including this. Their job isn't to research every dynamic of a topic. They discuss topics. They're not news reporters.

• Options
    Wildcard608Wildcard608 Registered User regular
    @RatherDashing: Well I can't see it. No blue link or image appears for me in your last post.

It just seems wrong of them to take reviewer's comments "crazy" to me. That seems to be going against the idea of peaceful debate they seem to be going for. But sense the source says it was put up later than this episode it is okay that they didn't know that. I was too quick to think they didn't do the research on that topic and for that I apologize.

• Options
    Sorry, I keep forgetting that many users post on the comments thread under the video, rather than the forum. If you find this topic in the forum my links will display there.

• Options
    Zarn1111Zarn1111 Registered User new member
    I work for Blockbuster...

• Options
    BuckstarchaserBuckstarchaser Registered User new member
    Looking at the stuff that is coming out now, it seems that this game may be the video game equivalent of the initiator of anti-war. The Vietnam war ended around my birth, but I served in Iraq and the way you describe the game in the sequel to this video makes me think that games are simply capitalizing from the cycle of 'war=profit... anti-war=profit... goto war' and there's really nothing special about this game other than it's a new way to make money from guided public opinion via selling games to children. Bringing the children into the loop ensures future profit, so congratulations on your greasing the machine.

• Options
    GhoXenGhoXen Registered User new member
    So are you feeling like a hero yet?

• Options
    DriscolDriscol __BANNED USERS regular
    Buck if you don't see how this is more than "anti war" then you really should at least pirate the game and play it before passing judgement. It does countless things differently in telling it's story. It's not anti war, it's a look into psychological trauma. It's not said that the protagonist goes crazy because of the war, maybe that's what you got out of it but he seems to hallucinate pretty early on suggesting he may have been schizophrenic and the PTSD may have escalated this to an extreme level.
    It's not anti war so much as it's a game desperately trying to bring the player into it's world by blurring the line between reality and game in a way Metal Gear Solid could only attempt.

• Options
    Arbor DayArbor Day WHAT UP NERDS!!!!!!! The Internet.Registered User new member
    Being an Army combat veteran myself (OIF 07-09) and having my fair share of PDST, playing this game for any length of time is kind of unsettling and a chore. I can barely make it past one or two check points before I need to stop. That being said, I love it to death. It's nice to see a team try to show what combat is really like and the toll it can take on you, instead of holding some soldier up like they are Jesus reborn or something. I totally respect everyone involved with creating this game for the risks they took making this. The episode is right, the game is not very fun. But, it's easily one of the best games of last year, and my favorite military shooter to date. This game is worth a play, and is regularly on sale on Steam for ten dollars or less. It's well worth it, and they deserve the money. Give it a shot. There's a demo as well, as rare as that is these days. See if it's anything you'd be in to. I get not everyone will like it, but it's worth your time to at least check the demo.

• Options
    SpeculaSpecula Registered User regular
    Lucky me, it's on a 75% off sale right now on Steam... How convenient.

• Options
    Tendo NaryanTendo Naryan Registered User new member
    Just played the campaign and wow... just. I can say I had fun with the gameplay. It might be because The Line hits a sweet spot for me at my crummy shooter skill level. All in all, the whole package was an incredible ride.

• Options
    XocolatlXocolatl Registered User regular
    Games that tell a message is good. But one that does so, while not being able to delivery fun is definitely still not a good game.

So my question would be, is this not "fun" as in not crazy run and gun, high-fivin', "booyah!"-ing fun, but rather more sim-like "enjoyable"? Or is it simply just a dread to play through?

• Options
    Blackie62Blackie62 Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    @Xocatl From a gameplay perspective it's a $20 fun. You know during the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation there were games that came out for $30 or $40 dollars? It's like those mid-tier below AAA games.

Blackie62 on