As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a [chat]

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    So did you guys hear that Apple won a billion fucking dollars from Samsung?

I think the best part is that they're going to turn around and order effectively free parts from Samsung for new iPhones and iPads.
    God fucking dammit.

Hopefully, Samsung fixes this on appeal.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I love Downs Syndrome Jesus

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I have to say, the patenting of touchscreen UI design elements seems pretty nuts.

I mean, there are a finite number of ways in which it is possible to touch a screen, and similarly a finite number of ways in which those can be mapped onto interactions with a UI.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    dickscreens

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Took me a while to realize what that toast was.

It's glorious.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I think the best part is that they're going to turn around and order effectively free parts from Samsung for new iPhones and iPads.

It's getting harder and harder to have a professional respect for Apple.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    it's mohammed right?

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    It takes two to make a fucked-up internal conflict.
    Yeah, the division of catholic and protestant.

Even without that religious divide falling on even sides when it came to nationalising or breaking with England, the Irish have had a fantastic capability for civil unrest without England's help.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    I'm also somewhat disappointed that The Register's attempt to popularise "fondleslab" as a term for touchscreen tablets hasn't caught on.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    I have to say, the patenting of touchscreen UI design elements seems pretty nuts.

I mean, there are a finite number of ways in which it is possible to touch a screen, and similarly a finite number of ways in which those can be mapped onto interactions with a UI.

Well, the industry managed to find a million bad ways to do it before 2007. They could go back to some of those.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    its so hard to argue that the current patent shit is in any way good for anybody

its so shit for consumers and wastes so much human effort

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I am at the bar

Castle has stood me up!?

• Options

Well, the industry managed to find a million bad ways to do it before 2007. They could go back to some of those.

That's partly the resistive vs capacitive thing though.

There are even fewer ways in which it is possible to touch a resistive touchscreen.

• Options
    I'm also somewhat disappointed that The Register's attempt to popularise "fondleslab" as a term for touchscreen tablets hasn't caught on.

A little bit of pinch n zoom

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    first Fucking bed bugs in the firehouse and now fleas.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i don't really have an opinion on touchscreen UIs but even though apple is sort of the big guy on campus right now in terms of a war chest with which to be corporate assholes... there have been some real blatant design thefts recently. like, one of those samsung series ultrabooks? the 's-voice' thing?

i'm not saying that the rest of the tech industry had it coming, but as someone who doesn't really follow these cases at all, some of the egregious copying has actually had me O_O. like, i would look for the commercials on youtube later to make sure i actually saw what i saw. it's that flagrant, on occasion.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Stealing ideas is a valuable part of improving shit. For most software, a first mover advantage should be enough to incentivize innovation. I'm not really seeing the need for fairly long lasting patents.

• Options
    fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

bedbugs

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »
    fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

fuck

bedbugs

Ruined March for me

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    haha

new york is getting trolled hardcore by bedbugs

those motherfuckers get resistance like it aint no thang

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Has there been any research on ideal patent length for various shit?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    RedTide wrote: »
    Ruined March for me

I had to leave my previous apartment

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    conventions are tiring

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The first phone with a capacitive touchscreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGVNVXWGlxM

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Ruined March for me

They missed you.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I made spaghetti with Prego garlic sauce and ground beef and it tastes so bland. What went wrong? I did freeze the beef but this pasta is about as tasty as cardboard.

• Options
    also the dogs that find bed bug infestatiosn are fucking cool

dogs are like mobile forensics units shits op

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

eh, I hate me some Apple but not because of this case. It's just one battle in a loooong series of patent trollings and counter trollings between the big players. Why do you think Google paid 12 fucking billion dollars for Samsung? The company is not worth a fraction of that. But they have patents like wow.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I am at the bar

Castle has stood me up!?

If Castle knows where you are right now, that means he's breaking into your empty house and robbing it while you're out.

• Options

eh, I hate me some Apple but not because of this case. It's just one battle in a loooong series of patent trollings and counter trollings between the big players. Why do you think Google paid 12 fucking billion dollars for Samsung? The company is not worth a fraction of that. But they have patents like wow.

Motorola.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Dogs r pretty neat.

• Options
    the idea that somebody might buy a company purely to troll with their patents is just hilarious because it shows how utterly fucked up the incentives are

re: patent length yes there are competition models that simulate the ideal lenghts for patents, but the assumptions are very unrealistic

although the general outcome is that you want really short patents in 99% of things

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I am at the bar

Castle has stood me up!?

If Castle knows where you are right now, that means he's breaking into your empty house and robbing it while you're out.

He just called me with excuses

I think you're right

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Motorola.

oh yeah. They bought moto. Had the name Samsung on the brain and got it mixed up.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Not samsung, but of course it is about patent trolling. Which is because our patent system allows such horrible trolling.

Though the apple v. samsung case will be appealed and keep going and going and going.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    sitting down to listen to that mix I did

30-39 mins are EASILY the best mixing I've ever done

I should go out to celebrate by listening to better DJs than me!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    like were talking normal estimates of less than 5 years in almost all areas

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Ruined March for me

We were already in the process of moving, at least if I bring these home it won't be so bad

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    @skippydumptruck

i found this image of you and sawyer from the future

IeFyY.gif

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Not samsung, but of course it is about patent trolling. Which is because our patent system allows such horrible trolling.

Though the apple v. samsung case will be appealed and keep going and going and going.

As though anyone honestly expected an American jury to rule against Apple?

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
This discussion has been closed.