As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Having a baby, need your brains (And we don't have health insurance)

Actinguy1Actinguy1 Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Greetings, super friends!

My wife and I just found out we're going to have a baby, which we're very excited about...but it's suddenly occurred to us that we don't know shit about babies or pregnancies, etc. We also don't have health insurance right now. So advice and tips in all those areas would be very helpful!

That's the tl;dr version. Here's the details:

I'm 29, and a federal govt employee (GS-12). I'm also an Iraq war veteran (Air Force). She's 26 and a stay-at-home wife...she was a nurse, supporting me while I went to school, and now that I have this job she doesn't have to go to work anymore. We live in Maryland, I work in DC. We've been married for one year. We were trying the whole time for a kid, but found out it would be very difficult because my wife has PCOS, so we're very happy. She's somewhere between 3-5 weeks along. Of course we're not planning to tell friends and family until 8-10 weeks. By my wife's calculation, she'll be due in late April, early May.

Of course my govt. job comes with benefits, but I didn't worry about it when I was hired because we still had my wife's insurance through her job. I figured we'd switch to my benefits once she quit her job. But when I started doing the paperwork, I discovered we had literally missed the cut-off date by one day. So now we have to wait until open enrollment. I think the last open enrollment was last November (I was hired this past May.) So will the next enrollment be in November again? Any way to get it earlier? What about getting insurance outside of my employer? Or free healthcare, clinics, etc? Until I CAN get insurance through my job of course. As I mentioned, my wife doesn't work so she obviously doesn't have any income if that's a concern for free (or cheap) healthcare. I have a good income, but we also live in a very expensive area of the country.

Other stuff...we rent a four-bedroom house, so we have plenty of room. We also have two indoor cats, both declawed. We both live kind of far from our families (We live in Maryland, my family's in Pittsburgh, hers is in California.)

Think that's about it! Any knowledge you have on pregnancies, babies, and healthcare/insurance will be very much appreciated!

Actinguy1 on

• Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    Contact your HR rep - there is usually a "life change" clause that allows you to modify your insurance mid-year for certain qualifying events. These events are usually marriage/divorce/having a kid.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yes. most insurance benefits have a something like that. you should be able to switch her over

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The only knowledge I have about pregnancies is that you should listen to all of the health warnings about what your wife should and should not eat/drink.
    Actinguy1 wrote:
    We also have two indoor cats, both declawed.

Did you have them declawed yourselves, out of curiosity?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Make sure wife doesn't change the litter without thick gardening gloves (the super thick kitchen latex kind).

As for insurance, like others have said, you should be eligible for enrollment now since you have a life changing event. As for other options, you're a Vet? You should qualify for VA benefits right? I'd look into getting healthcare through there as well, even just for secondary.

You might want to look in getting insurance through both workplaces and using one as primary and the other as secondary. This will reduce your costs a lot too, usually.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    since litter is usually pretty dusty and gets in the air it's probably better to have her avoid the litter box completely. Although the CDC recommendations do say wear gloves and wash hands thoroughly if there is no option. here's the full rundown http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pregnant.htm

definitely call your he. although at least at my job the qualifying life event is the birth of a child so be aware you may not be able to add until open enrollment. although open enrollment usually is changes for the next calandar year so don't go into effect immediately so definitely check with them to see if there's any way to get it added right away.

Also it's probably too late for this but usually a spouse losing a job or losing insurance is also a qualifying event so you should have been able to make changes at that point.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Make sure wife doesn't change the litter without thick gardening gloves (the super thick kitchen latex kind).

As for insurance, like others have said, you should be eligible for enrollment now since you have a life changing event. As for other options, you're a Vet? You should qualify for VA benefits right? I'd look into getting healthcare through there as well, even just for secondary.

You might want to look in getting insurance through both workplaces and using one as primary and the other as secondary. This will reduce your costs a lot too, usually.

she should really not change it at all, but if she has to, she should wear a mask too

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Your wife should start taking at least 800mg of folic acid daily.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Every job I've ever had has had open enrollment for insurance in October or November. So if it comes down to that, you'll probably be fine.

• Options
    Do try to contact the VA to see what your options are.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    Pick this book up--it is basically the bible as far as pregnancy. About 100 times more useful than What to Expect, which doesn't have much detail and sometimes seems written for someone who is totally clueless. The Mayo Clinic book is awesome and as long as there aren't issues will provide pretty much the same guidance a doctor would be providing.

Definitely start on prenatal vitamins, preferably ones with DHA.

I'm not an expert on VA benefits, but if you don't qualify for medicaid you probably don't qualify for VA assistance. Check an see if there's a program in your state that assists with pregnancy appointments for uninsured mothers. I think open enrollment starts in Oct for Feds (at least thats what I remember from the deluge of Metro ads). Your wife should probably see a doctor at least once (at least to confirm pregnancy) and to make sure things are going ok. The cost of pocket isn't going to bankrupt you.

You said your wife is 3-5 weeks along--pregnancy is measured from the date of last menstration, not conception date, so she's probably later along than that (assuming her missed period is what alerted you).

• Options
    http://www.visn2.va.gov/vet/vetfaqs.asp#q26

(and almost every vet qualifies for VHA coverage, IIRC)

I think "pregnancy" is one of the qualifiers. But like I said, OP should triple check on that with the VHA.

• Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    Your wife should start taking a prenatal vitamin, if she isn't already. Any OTC variety is fine. Definitely check into your insurance options.

If you are the sole supporter of your household, you should either get life insurance if you don't have it, or consider upping the amount if you do. If something should happen to you, she will need enough to live on while she finds a job, and she will need to be able to pay for day-care services also. Work out a reasonable amount based on your income, expenses, cost of living in the area, and so on, and get you some life insurance.

As others have said, your wife should not be around the litterbox. From now on, that's YOUR job. :p

You might want to wait to announce to people for a little longer. By the 18-20 week checkup, they may be able to detect a heartbeat, and if they can at that time, chances of miscarriage drop by about 90%. (If they can't it isn't necessarily bad news, the baby just might not be cooperating and they will try again in a few weeks). Nonetheless, many couples use that as a "when to tell the families" marker.

Be sensitive to your wife's needs/wants. When/if morning sickness kicks in, she might not want to have food, smell food, or be around food. That's pretty normal, just try to be cool about it. Let her eat whatever she thinks she can stomach. I think I went 2 months on grapes, saltine crackers, and almonds. Just keep taking that vitamin and do what you can. If she asks for something, do everything you can to provide, as you will earn major brownie points.

Choose your obstetrician carefully. You do not HAVE to pick the first one you see. Write out a lot of things that are important to you (vaginal delivery/C-section? medication? breastfeeding/bottle feeding?) See how your OB feels about ALL these things, no matter how trivial they seem. Don't commit until you find someone you're comfortable with - it's okay to switch. Make sure the office is convenient enough for you, because towards the end you will be having checkups every 4 weeks.

Go with her to her checkups. It's your baby too, and she'll be happy to have you there for support.

And most of all, feel free to completely disregard any advice anyone gives you for any reason. Just because your mother/the newspaper/some random person on the internet says to do something doesn't mean it's necessarily the right choice for you. Do what is best for your family and your baby, based on your situation.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    illirica wrote: »
    You might want to wait to announce to people for a little longer. By the 18-20 week checkup, they may be able to detect a heartbeat, and if they can at that time, chances of miscarriage drop by about 90%. (If they can't it isn't necessarily bad news, the baby just might not be cooperating and they will try again in a few weeks). Nonetheless, many couples use that as a "when to tell the families" marker.

The usually quoted length of time to wait to tell lots of people is about 12-13 weeks (the first trimester) because rates of spontaneous miscarriage are very low after that. By 18-20 weeks, they'll be doing sonograms that can tell you the sex of the baby, so it's way past heartbeats. A heartbeat can sometimes be detected as early as 6 or 8 weeks, and usually by around 12 at the latest.

If you have friends or family who are very close, you might want to tell just a few (ones that can keep quiet) earlier, because it provides a support system in the event there is an early complication.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Yeah... litterbox should be YOUR job from now on... there's some kind of parasite or bacteria that's really common around cat poop that can be really harmful to a pregnant woman. Offer to do it out of the kindness of your heart and she'll love you for it.

Once you get past the first trimester. start looking for car seats, strollers, and the like. Make sure you get the approved car seat and figure out how to strap it in and buckle up the little one A.S.A.P.- I think you can get a ticket for an improper car seat, but you also have to remember that the seat is the only thing keeping your baby from bouncing around like a rubber ball should the worst happen.

There's a special kind of diapers that you might think about looking for- they have a small notch cut out for the umbilical cord leaving to rest in, until that dries up and falls off.

When she does have it, you'll want to keep the cats away from the baby for a while, with lots of hand-washing.

I know a lot about this stuff because I became an uncle two weeks ago... so most of the talk around the house has been about baby stuff...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    while its better to not have her handle the litter. not every cat is positive for toxoplasmosa. i know our guys don't have it, but i still did the boxes, but unless you know with absolute certainty and your cats are indoor only, then it is not worth the risk.

special diapers for newborns is dumb. start with size 1 swaddler types and just fold down the front until the stump falls off. unless you have a premie, newborn diapers are for suckers.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Toxoplasmosis is what you're trying to avoid, by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis#Pregnancy_precautions

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I think RUNN1NGMAN was referring to this book. It's pretty great though I think it appeals more to men and engineering types as it reads more like a textbook. For practical advice we really liked this one which reads more like an owner's manual.

If you end up having to take this baby to delivery without insurance (which you shouldn't as this event should permit you to update your coverage or you could seek coverage via VHA) then make sure to communicate with hospital well before due date to sort out cost. We've 80/20 insurance and OB was around $450 (pre-pay) plus copays, and normal vaginal delivery was around $4K, C-section would've been a couple thousand more. If you can negotiate beforehand you could likely get a similar fee schedule even while uninsured. If you deliver first without pre-negotiating, your kid and wife will be discharged without seeing a bill and then 2 months later you'll get 5 figures of bills coming from OB, hospital lab, and anesthesiologist.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Once you make it past the first ~10 weeks or so and they confirm fetal heartbeat, start stocking up on daipers. Plan on 10-12 per day. 300 of each size at a bare minimum just to help spread the cost of diapers across a greater timeframe. Once you make it to size 2-3, you'll need even more as they spend more time in those. Watch for sales at places like Babies R Us, and get registered there ASAP. You'll start getting coupons from them constantly.

You just don't want to be in the position with a new baby where you need to be running out and buying boxes of diapers constantly.

Your wife can sign up for Amazon Mom which gets you some discounts on diaper subscriptions, and a free Amazon Prime account for a couple months - which you might just end up keeping, Amazon Prime is sweeeeeeet.

What To Expect When You're Expecting is a highly pouplar pregnancy book, and has an accompanying website.

Don't bother buying a lot of newborn/first year stuff new. Kids grow out of that stuff way too fast. Garage sales and second hand stores ftw. You wanna buy a onsie from Carters for 6 bucks or get last years style from a garage sale for 25 cents?

The only thing you absolutely must buy new is your car seat. DO NOT buy one used, you have no idea what sort of hidden defects it might have from prior wear and tear.

Cog on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    There's a thread for this over in SE++ if you want to hang out and shoot the breeze.

• Options
    stocking up on diapers is just going to leave you with diapers you can't use. just make sure you go out and buy a couple big boxes of the size 1's and you will be fine. as long as you buy more before you get low you should never need to run out at midnight to get more diapers.

anyone can sign up for amazon mom, not just the mom.

clothes are weird. our guy jumped through sizes really early, i think he was in 6 months for like 2 weeks. but it really depends on how big your baby winds up. I wouldn't buy any clothes until you have a shower (if you are having one) you will probably get a ton of shit there, though most of it will be the tiny stuff.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    stocking up on diapers is just going to leave you with diapers you can't use. just make sure you go out and buy a couple big boxes of the size 1's and you will be fine. as long as you buy more before you get low you should never need to run out at midnight to get more diapers.

I'm not suggesting you buy each size by the thousands, but you'll almost certainly use 3-400 of every size above newborn. Spreading that cost out is handy.

• Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    If for some reason this doesn't qualify as a life-changing event, open season for federal employees every year is mid-November through mid-December.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    We use the amazon service where they send you diapers on a regular basis. It's definitely cheaper than buying from the grocery store. Very competitive with diapers.com, though you could probably get cheaper on diapers.com if you get coupon codes and take advantage of sales.

Is your wife going to remain a stay-at-home? Because if you guys are planning on her adding income to your household you'll need to look into infant/toddler/child care. FYI.

• Options
    Day care is a fucking racket.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Do indeed buy some diapers in each size early. If you google coupons, use Amazon mom, and keep an eye out for other deals you can get them for 12 cents apiece or less. They're normally 19-24 cents apiece even on regular sale.

Get your wife a boppy body pillow as she goes through her second trimester. They cost forty bucks on Amazon, and it's my wife's favorite thing I've ever gotten her, including her engagement ring.

Do things early. Set up the crib, wash some newborn cloths, pack a hospital bag, install the carseat, all weeks in advance. We've got twins so we had to be extra prepared, but still, you'll be very glad you did. As annoying as it might be to give yourself extra work while your wife is pregnant... imagine how much more annoying that extra work will be when you're both exhausted looking after a newborn.

Do read a book or two; information is your friend.

Fill up the DVR or buy some seasons of television on DVD.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    yes but it is a necassary racket. but honestly, its my kid i will pay to make sure he is being taken care of well. i recommend getting on any waitlists early

i also use the amazon subscribe thing. the thing with not stocking up is you save on space. little babies have so much crap associated with them that unless you live in a house with a lot of storage space. yes you can easily use that many, but keeping 2-3 large ass boxes of diapers for each size is going to be a huge space hog.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I highly recommend getting one of these or some variation thereof: http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/brands/babygear/products/51903

We used it in lieu of a crib for a long time because the baby had reflux, and it helped a lot.

• Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Instead of loading up on diapers I just stockpiled money into savings and we're buying them as we need them.
    This guarantees that we don't end up with an excess that we aren't using.

Our two cats are pretty anti-social when the babies are around. They both have their claws since we don't de-claw, but if there's a baby in the room then they'll generally leave and go find somewhere else to relax.

EDIT: Also apply for every single government program that you can. You never know what kind of aid you may qualify for.

darqness on
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    Re: Cats. Are they indoor or outdoor cats? Outdoor cats are more likely to have the disease than indoor. Also, if she's been around cats for a long time (like, years), then she probably was exposed and now has the antibodies for it and can't get it again. Still, I abstained from the litter box when I was pregnant. On that note, she should also not do any gardening, for the same reason (feral cats poop in gardens). Frankly, I didn't even EAT anything that came from a garden, even washed. But then, I was pretty anxious.

Anyway, I have a one year old! I've done way too much baby research and you can PM me anytime with questions.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    As others have said, get on the prenatals ASAP, if you have not already

Be wary of "What to Expect when you are Expecting", it will tell you everything that can go wrong when very little of that typically does go wrong. so you can get pretty freaked out.

Try to enjoy the remainder of your life w/o kids. Especially now when the wife is still not showing, and moving around is still easy for her. Once you have a kid, you can still do the stuff you want, but it becomes more complicated.

Later on, closer to your 3rd trimester, most hospitals will offer a birthing class that will give you a lot of good information. Some peopel find these classes to be terrible, or a waste of time, but so far I have found it to be extremely useful. Getting to see whats coming up, and what to expect has been very reassuring for my wife and I who are expecting in October.

Go to the appointments if you can, your wife will appreciate the support. And when i say go, i don't mean just be present, be a participant.

Be informed, ask lots of questions for your doctors, read some stuff. There are some great websites out there with info on what is happening each week with the baby, its pretty crazy stuff!

And finally, Congratulations! Your in for a heck of a fun ride!

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    My advice: Dont self-medicate, even if its something as inocuous looking as vitamins.(for the momside) I would say that to everyone regardless of sex or age, but I think its more important during pregnancy.

For the father side, thats you, it doesnt matter if sun tzu wrote a book about babies, you dont completely need it, all you need is some common sense, and follow your wife´s lead, I tried that method, I have a beautiful 13yo girl, and no book can prepare you for the nightmare of changing diapers and being "vomited" on almost daily. Incredibly enough, you get used to it, Im not going to go as far as saying that its fun, but its an experience you will look back and be proud of it.

Like someone else said, whatever you buy in the first months, the baby will grow out of it inmediately.

Be with your wife when she gives birth, you cant do anything other than holding her hand, but it is important that you are there, you will regret it in the future if you are not.

And most important of all, ENJOY ! its a wonderfull time to enjoy, and while the first months of having a baby can be exhausting, its exciting and rewarding in a way that has no peer.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Do things early. Set up the crib, wash some newborn cloths, pack a hospital bag, install the carseat, all weeks in advance. We've got twins so we had to be extra prepared, but still, you'll be very glad you did. As annoying as it might be to give yourself extra work while your wife is pregnant... imagine how much more annoying that extra work will be when you're both exhausted looking after a newborn.

Yup. Just do a little bit at a time after the first trimester. Both because it's always more than you think, and just in case the baby comes early. That's why it's good to have a good supply - don't go overboard - of the consumables. If you're doing a shower, that's usually takes care of it. The general figure is 10 diapers a day.

Register at all the baby stores - even just a few items - so you get put on baby coupon lists.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Don't buy too many "newborn" size diapers. My son was only in them about a week and we were given two boxes of them that were donated. They will be out of them quick and into size 1's before you know it.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    MandaManda Registered User regular
    I have to second (third? fourth?) the Mayo Clinic book. My mother forced me to get What To Expect When You're Expecting and I found it to be a bit wordy. That being said, my husband and I are both engineers, so we like to skip the fluffy stuff and get straight to the point. :-)

Try to keep peppermints and ginger candy around for morning sickness. There's no real cure for nausea but those can provide some temporary relief. For what it's worth, I had a lot of luck with milk.

Your first doctor's appointment should happen at 8 weeks. At that time your wife can have a vaginal ultrasound and you get your first glimpse of the baby! After that you'll have appointments at least every 4 weeks, but they'll get more frequent as you get closer to the due date. Keep in mind that insurance often doesn't cover "optional" items like prenatal testing and ultrasounds, so if you're trying to cut costs this is something to think about.

Be really patient with your wife. When you're tired/moody/nauseous/sore/bloated/gassy/etc it's hard to be sympathetic to other people's problems. Just remember that she's going through a lot of changes and that she loves and appreciates you, even if she can't always show it. Make sure she gets some time with her female friends and that you get time with your buddies.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Everyone's given you great advice re. pre-pregnancy stuff; vitamins, cat-handling, TV recording/DVD buying (I <3 you for mentioning this, @MentalExercise).

I would like to add, expect the unexpected.

Here is what I think *everyone* needs:

- Car seat (install early, like people say! And know how to tighten/loosen the straps... I gave up bugging my husband about the car seat, and guess which parents spent an hour and a half in the parking lot on the day of discharge...)
    - Onesies
    - Diapers & changing equipment

...that's pretty much it. Stroller? Never used it. Crib? Never used it... well, I am using it, but only to store my excess pillows/cushions. (Luckily it was free). Oh, there are things I've used in place of those - but not everyone's using what I'm using. However, I will say that most mothers I know *do* use the Rock'n'Play that Quoth linked to. It's a simple, but very useful piece of equipment in my opinion.

So, my recommendation is actually to hold off buying things until you find you need them. We have a small apartment, so I did this anyway to avoid filling up valuable space, and I feel we've saved a lot of money by buying things only as needed. Many stores are open late-night for the odd emergency, after all.

But DO buy that car seat.

I was told by my OB based on every u/s I had that my daughter would be of above-average size, had a huge head... she ended up having a head in the 5th percentile and being of below-average size overall. She was in newborn diapers for two months. Size 1 would've been too large on her to begin with - when I did finally move her up, the tape almost met in the middle. I only took 0-3 month clothes with me to the hospital, and they swallowed her whole. Again, expect the unexpected.

I think the only other thing I would add are - if your wife plans to breastfeed, she should be prepared for how tough it is. Not to scare her - but to inform her. In fact, I would've liked to have been better prepared for all of the (often nasty) afterbirth stuff in general. There is SO much focus on pregnancy and birth, yet it's those two or three weeks post-partum that I think are the worst.

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Actinguy1 wrote:
    Any knowledge you have on pregnancies, babies, and healthcare/insurance will be very much appreciated!

Do not sweat insurance. If you live in the state of Maryland, you are covered by the state for all pregnancy issues under the department of Health and Mental Hygiene (if you don't have insurance of course). I have a guy on the inside I just shot a text too. As soon as I get some info of where to go/what to do, I'll let you know.

Also, congrats on the baby!

So, I found this - no reply yet from my friend, but it felt worth mentioning.

http://mmcp.dhmh.maryland.gov/SitePages/Medicaid Medical Assistance Overview.aspx

Basically, it's Medicaid - but the state of MD covers pre and post natal care as an 'extra'. You just have to visit a local office and apply.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    PM sent!

• Options
    There is a lot of craziness around breastfeeding that can make it a much more stressful experience than it needs to be. Hospitals can also either be super militant about it or super uncaring and unsupportive, so be prepared for both depending on your plans. Breast milk is best for the baby, but there are a lot of reasons that breastfeeding may not work out one way or another. And I say this as someone who is still doing it with a 14-month-old. :-P