Options

[StarCraft 2] EG chinstraps for everyone.

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Starcraft 2 thread

terranfinal.jpg

The PA Crane Kick program!

We here at PA are a nice, friendly, bunch that want to help each other get better at SC2, typically through light-hearted pokes and jabs. But some players require a little more hands-on training. So, I have decided to create a Karate Kid style teacher and student program known hence forth as the Crane Kick program. Basically, one of our higher league players will personally train a lower level one on some aspect of their game they want to improve.

Fill out this form to join in! After filling out the form, look at the list of players found here and simply PM the coach/player you are interested in working with. Set up a time/date, communication software, and discuss what you want to learn/teach. GLHF!

Please read the following details to help things go smoothly:
All games will include 4 PA players in a non-ladder 1v1, 2 high ranked Miyagis and 2 low ranked Daniel-sans. The mentors will be in a special chat room with their students in mumble/skype giving them advice in real-time. All four start in the same chat channel then go into 2 different channels when the game starts. The two higher ranked people are observers that only follow the vision of their "student". Sound like fun? Again, fill out this form to join in! Find players/coaches here!

Players should:
-specify to their coach what they want to learn (stutter step, macro, X build order)
-already understand the basics of hotkeys, assigning groups, map pings
-listen and follow the advice of the coach
-watch their replays!
-take what they've learned and practice on their own time
-be respectful of their coaches and opponents time

Coaches should:
-not look at full map vision (cheater!)
-don't yell or harass the student, especially in tense battle situations
-offer insight as to WHY you want to do things and certain times
-explain what to look for when scouting builds
-be available for more than one game if possible
-offer follow up sessions if needed
-focus on one to two things at a time (micro, macro, build order, etc)

Let's see if we can get this thing off the ground and really help each other out more!

I want to play SC2 awesome like everyone else!

So, the SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff. In order to keep up, I highly recommend you check out the following resources:

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA (on the NA realm). We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!

2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.

3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

4) Sign up for the PA mumble page. Sign up if you want to chat with fellow PA users during games or watching tournaments. Thanks to Exoplasm for hosting the service and providing the step-by-step process for installing mumble.

JK. I like watching Starcraft instead. Where can I watch some good games?
Major tournaments. Starcraft is e-sports. Follow these major tournaments and you will not be disappoint.
  • The GSL. The premiere korean starcraft 2 league. Where the best go to play. Casted by Tastosis, the casting archon.
  • The TSL. Team Liquid's major tournament where foreigners stomp koreans and everyone attributes it to lag.
  • Major League Gaming. North American e-sports powerhouse now features Starcraft 2 (as long as their stream is online). "tahts halo dont worry".
  • North American Star League. The upstart league headed by fan-favorites Incontrol and Gretorp. $400k up for grabs in the first season alone.
  • IGN Pro League. Everyone's getting into e-sports, even IGN! 16 of the top players from North America duking it out for fabulous prizes.

And those are only the major ones! Follow the Team Liquid Tournament Tracker for more competitive goodness.

Streams. Perhaps you prefer something more intimate. Maybe watching starcraft 2 like it's Being John Malkovich? Thanks to the power of the Internet, there are infinity streams available for your voyeuristic pleasure. Here are our favorites.

Want more streams? Check out Teamliquid's live video stream page for more goodness.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    is it that time already?

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I just learned that the apartment complex I'm staying in for the next couple of months has a 20-seat "theater room" that I can, presumably, reserve. Suddenly I care about eSports™ - is TL still a good place to find out about upcoming events I can stream to a giant screen/sound system?

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular
    Yeah, TL is still the best place for that.

11776-1.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    9/10 times I check out TL it's because of their excellent schedule and coverage of tournaments.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I just learned that the apartment complex I'm staying in for the next couple of months has a 20-seat "theater room" that I can, presumably, reserve. Suddenly I care about eSports™ - is TL still a good place to find out about upcoming events I can stream to a giant screen/sound system?

MLG is on this weekend!

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    liquipedia front page (http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Main_Page) now has a major event tracker on the side, along with the tl homepage stream list/calendar on the side there also

best places for events

• Options
    also ktviolet passing away T.T

never followed him in bw, but went in the tl thread about his illness a bunch and saw him posting and stuff, seemed like he was doing well T.T

• Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    I thought violet was a zerg player...

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    That's a different Violet, KTViolet was a Protoss player in BW.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Kespa being Kespa. Hurgl.

• Options
    What are kespa doing?

• Options
    They aren't allowing Kespa players to play in this season of GSL.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Managed to do that final protoss mission on Brutal. All I changed? Just spammed cannons as my mineral dump instead of zealots.

• Options
    Well, kespa have almost been reasonable a while. About time they decided to throw a hissy fit about something.

• Options
    I can see this being a problem moving forward; Kespa are clearly prioritizing their own tournaments (OSL and Proleague) over anything else. A Blizzard rep said that they were disappointed in the news and were going to talk to Kespa, so Blizzard might be willing to throw their weight around to make sure that Kespa plays nice with all the other kids.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    campus party eu, lan tournament in germany with a 25k prize pool, ret vs naama right now with kaelaris and hasu casting

0-1 to ret currently

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Campus Party SC2

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Campus_Party_Europe

Biosys on
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Managed to do that final protoss mission on Brutal. All I changed? Just spammed cannons as my mineral dump instead of zealots.

I really should finally beat the campaign on brutal. I only have two levels left. They just happen to be the two hardest levels and I sort of dread playing them.

• Options
    Which ones do you have left? The two last ones?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    mEEksa wrote: »
    I can see this being a problem moving forward; Kespa are clearly prioritizing their own tournaments (OSL and Proleague) over anything else. A Blizzard rep said that they were disappointed in the news and were going to talk to Kespa, so Blizzard might be willing to throw their weight around to make sure that Kespa plays nice with all the other kids.

yeah the wording of the gom article had me more nervous for the future than just concerned about this season.

honestly... it doesn't seem like that big of a deal if we only look at gsl vs. osl, but I want them to be able to go to foreign tournaments. It would almost be cool (for some viewers) if foreign tournaments ended up being the only place to catch kespa vs. gom games. This makes that seem less likely, though.

then again maybe they just want their first SC2 season to be rock solid so they can get their feet planted.

edit - I have no history with kespa, I just know their reputation not the specifics.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »

No. The last mission and the last protoss mission. That protoss mission really infuriates me. I've tried building nothing but collosus and cannons, but it just doesn't seem to work.

The last mission I've only tried once and I think I can beat it with a strategy I saw online, but that damn protoss mission demotivates me since I've tried it like three times and failed all three times.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Can't say I'm surprised by that move from Kespa. They aren't exactly known for playing nice with the other kids at the playground, and frankly the last few months they've been a little too cooperative. We were probably due for them to do a "Fuck you, gots mean" at this point.

If I were Gom, I would just assume that Kespa is out to gobble me up. Assume they are on the prowl to either buy you out or make you irrelevant, and make business plans accordingly.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

No. The last mission and the last protoss mission. That protoss mission really infuriates me. I've tried building nothing but collosus and cannons, but it just doesn't seem to work.

The last mission I've only tried once and I think I can beat it with a strategy I saw online, but that damn protoss mission demotivates me since I've tried it like three times and failed all three times.

As I said previously, try pulling back to the highground towards the latter parts. They will ignore the temple anyway, and you only have 2 locations to defend instead of three, which makes it cheaper to blanket with cannons and colossi. As for all in, it depends on whether you have fliers or nyduses.

• Options

As I said previously, try pulling back to the highground towards the latter parts. They will ignore the temple anyway, and you only have 2 locations to defend instead of three, which makes it cheaper to blanket with cannons and colossi. As for all in, it depends on whether you have fliers or nyduses.

All ins I have nyduses, and I came very close to beating it. I saw a strategy where you ignore the choke points and just build a semi circle of tanks around your base with a handful of marines. Gonna try that.

As for pulling back to my main base, of course I've tried that. Still died with like 500 more units to get.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular

The easiest way to do Utter Darkness was with the Bisu build. You can wall off the chokes with DTs and kill all the Overseers with mass pheonix.

All In is really simple once you realize that mass tanks with the slow building can kill literally everything but Kerrigan.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    hlprmnky wrote: »

MLG is on this weekend!

At times that are inconvenient for me! Yay Europe!

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    you could live in Australia, where the times for every EU and NA tournament is inconvenient.

At least we get the GSL, though.

• Options

All ins I have nyduses, and I came very close to beating it. I saw a strategy where you ignore the choke points and just build a semi circle of tanks around your base with a handful of marines. Gonna try that.

As for pulling back to my main base, of course I've tried that. Still died with like 500 more units to get.

Since you just have to do the final Protoss one on its own, it doesn't matter if you get the research or not, so just pull back up to your base straight away and cannon up the ramps (or dt block it) and then just mass shit along the edges. Since you'll lose less units early on, it'll be way easier later when things get crazy.

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    I may have to watch GSL now. I mean, I'm pretty sure there will be a conversation someday where I mention that I'm a huge SC2 fan and player, but have to admit I've never seen the GSL before.

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    you could live in Australia, where the times for every EU and NA tournament is inconvenient.

At least we get the GSL, though.

in other words you win

that's the tournament with the most viewing times and -probably- the best games

• Options
    This is true, but man I am ruined after an MLG or Dreamhack weekend, and I don't really get to see the finals on sundays anymore because I work early monday mornings :(

• Options
    narwhal wrote: »
    I may have to watch GSL now. I mean, I'm pretty sure there will be a conversation someday where I mention that I'm a huge SC2 fan and player, but have to admit I've never seen the GSL before.

You'll only really be able to watch the GSL if it runs late, you have a day off, or on saturdays.

• Options
    IPL 5 is gonna be in Vegas in November. You all should fly out and keep me company.

• Options
    narwhal wrote: »

You'll only really be able to watch the GSL if it runs late, you have a day off, or on saturdays.

you COULD buy a ticket. they have the fastest/best vods of anyone

(I know that's not a reasonable/affordable thing for everyone but Iw anted to point it out)

• Options
    This is true. Ticket also works no matter where you live, too.

• Options
    I keep meaning to find a good "jump in" spot to buy a GSL ticket, but I always forget at the beginning of the month :P

Also, with a GSL ticket, how long do I keep access to the vods? Just until the next season?

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    VOD access is permanent for the seasons you buy.

Also it has been two years and you're still all terrible at this game.

• Options
    I think they only do subscription now but I am honestly not sure, I've been signed up for recurring access since it was available

but you never lose access to the vods you get (I can watch any tourney they ever ran) and I -think- you get a whole lot if you subscribe. depending on the sub you do, anyway.

• Options
    I'm convinced no one watches as much starcraft as Vari.

• Options
    not bought a gom ticket before because i can usually just watch it live

but that does make the rare times i miss it even more annoying

hrmmmmmmmmmmm

also i don't mind the sd as much as some people do so shruggg

• Options
    I'm convinced no one watches as much starcraft as Vari.

My roommate might disagree with you. My soundtrack to life has become an SC2 match in the background. The only thing that really impedes my SC2 watching habit is when I'll occasionally watch Dota 2.

This discussion has been closed.