As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What would you think about an Indie Games forum?

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
Y'all probably don't know this, but I get about six thousand requests every day from indie developers who want to post about their games. Obviously we don't generally allow people to pimp out their products, but denying everyone means that we could be stiffing some great games out of badly needed publicity, and stiffing forumers out of finding some gems that they might love. It's not like the latest triple A game isn't going to get a thread made for it after all, but some tiny budget indie game is probably shit out of luck.

One of the solutions we're throwing around is a dedicated forum for people to post about their games. Some of the rules would be
1. Small indie studios only
2. The game must be either finished or at a playable beta stage. No kickstarters, as always.
3. All developers have to ask permission first. One of the things I'm thinking is that devs apply to me, then I make the thread for them as the only person with thread creation rights in that forum. Anyone who posts first and asks later gets all mention of their game banned from the forum, even by fans.
4. All games must either be free to play or have a demo available.
5. Failing that, all devs have to have a certain amount (let's say 10 for now) of free codes to give away exclusive to our forumers.

What do you think? Would you post in it? Would you care about it? Is it a terrible, despicable thing that you would hate?

Tube on
LucedesNitsuaZilla360ArrogantAmbassadorErin The RedThe DeliveratorDread Pirate ArbuthnotMKRKai_Sanmanwiththemachinegun

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Posting on a Friday night (US time) is the worst on these boards. You can post something really interesting like this and it might go unposted in forever.

I like most of it except for the banning mention of a game for breaking the rules even by fans. Banning mention of a game should only be reserved for stuff like a certain game in the Hitman series that may or may not have been made.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Iolo
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I disagree. If we give people the opportunity for free publicity and they ignore our rules, fuck 'em. They're blacklisted.

• CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Sounds like a good idea for everyone involved. Forumers get a place to go for games they otherwise wouldn't know about, and the devs get a good amount of exposure.
    Tube wrote:
    2. The game must be either finished or at a playable beta stage. No kickstarters, as always.

I think this would be the key point. Requiring a minimum amount of playable content to make sure it doesn't turn into a forum full of supergeniusvideogameguys blowing smoke up everyone's ass about their superepickickassgamethatwillneverbe.

Also, what's the deal with the no kickstarters rule? Is it to try and protect people from possibly getting ripped off, or do you have some sort of hatred for it?

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
    The kickstarter rule is forum wide. In this context it serves us because we don't want a thread about an awesome idea you had that you want money for. We want a thread about a game that we can play, right then and there.

The kickstarter ban in general is a complicated one and probably outside the scope of the current discussion

Even if the game becomes the next Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress or what have you and forumers want to talk about it? I mean it's unlikely as hell I'll admit as most of the people unwilling to follow simple rules such as that would probably not make the best games but you do never know.

How many requests do you actually get a week, as in, do you think it would make an actual lively subforum or not? I think having the demo rule might make it lively enough to support itself and grow but I wonder if it is a sticking point for a lot of them.

• CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I agree about blacklisting if someone won't follow easy rules for free press.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
    We'd be looking at probably 6-10 new threads a week. It's a busy time for indie games at the moment, the number might wax and wane. If the forum became known as a hub for getting the word out about your game I imagine it'd become busier.

This is absolutely a forum idea that could fall flat on its face. That's why I'm being pretty cautious and making sure there's a decent amount of interest.

• GaardeanGaardean Registered User regular
    I absolutely love the idea, and the rules you laid out sound pretty ideal. I think I spend more time playing indie games than anything else anymore, but by nature finding info on a lot of the small-yet-awesome titles is difficult.

Also... Does #3 this make you the new Gabe Newell?

steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Sounds like a good idea to me. The good ones will float above the rest, the bad ones will just sink. I say open the flood gates.

cj iwakura on
    y3H3Fa4.png
    I can't think of any good reason to not do it. At best you'll get the knowledge out about some indy games and maybe a free pass for a forumer or two. I've got a couple from similar thread by thread basis on other forums and there isn't anything wrong with a free game now and then even if you don't like it it was free after all.

The worst that happens is that no one goes there and it lies forgotten until some spammer bumps a thread in there promoting cheap Nikes or something.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on the distribution of keys for #5? I probably wouldn't personally be interested in receiving any, but would be worried about people joining just to try to freeload. It's indie games so there's probably not a huge problem, but it seems to be something that comes up regardless of what's being given out.

In general, though, I like the idea.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I personally don't think there will be enough decent content in such a subforum, but then certain times of the year I could probably say the same for the MMO subforum. Which is fine I think.

So I guess that's a "why not".

We can have contests, draws, other ways of balancing it out. It's more engaging for the community if it isn't just FIRST FIVE PEOPLE GET A KEY OH too late

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I kind of disagree with 3, I think the creators should get to make their own threads, so it lives or dies based on how they present it. Makes them more approachable about the game, too.

After permission of course.

cj iwakura on
    y3H3Fa4.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I kind of disagree with 3, I think the creators should get to make their own threads, so it lives or dies based on how they present it. Makes them more approachable about the game, too.

Its also possible for them to simply send Tube their OPs to post.

But I agree - I think that it would be easier to simply have the OP created by the game company. Threads can always be deleted if they give no permission.

I'd imagine they'd make the thread and send it to tube who would post it or some such.

Getting people to follow simple rules like "don't post threads in this forum please" without a hard software limit stopping them from doing it is borderline impossible. If they have to go through me, they have to have the prerequisites or their thread doesn't get posted.

They still write the thread, choose the screenshots, format the bbcode. I just post it.

Tube wrote: »

Getting people to follow simple rules like "don't post threads in this forum please" without a hard software limit stopping them from doing it is borderline impossible. If they have to go through me, they have to have the prerequisites or their thread doesn't get posted.

They still write the thread, choose the screenshots, format the bbcode. I just post it.

I think it'd be neat to have the creators introducing their work personally, but that works too.

y3H3Fa4.png
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Its also possible for them to simply send Tube their OPs to post.

But I agree - I think that it would be easier to simply have the OP created by the game company. Threads can always be deleted if they give no permission.

Trust me as someone who is aware of the logistics that it is not easier.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Maybe a medium ground... developer gets approval, posts the thread in G&T, then points it out to Tube to move it over to the Indie forum?

This is probably getting a bit too hair-splitty; it'd be nice if the developer was able to edit their OP, but it's probably best to go with whatever is easiest for Tube to manage.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Seems like a sound plan.

As always the no kickstarter rule is the best out of the bunch. I don't care to read about a game that could be the coolest thing ever and all you need is a couple thousand dollars.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I like this idea. I've seen threads for little indie games come and go off of the first two pages of G&T and I've managed to find a couple I like sifting back through.

I wholeheartedly agree with rules 4/5, though. All of them really. And anything else reasonable that suddenly doesn't give you 10 more hours of forum work a week.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The main reason I like the idea of game developers making their own threads is so that they can edit it to give updates. Posting updates in the thread is clunky and news will be lost - better to be able to consolidate it in the OP.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I'd be in favor of seeing such a subforum be created. Lets them exist in a place where the latest, greatest playground monsters aren't ripping out trees and they can do their own things.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    Just chiming in to say I support the idea of an indie games subforum. Make sure to have some rules that say something like "don't be a goose when people give you constructive criticism" and "give actual feedback when criticizing a game" though. It'll probably solve some problems before they start (or not, who knows).

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm for it, aside from rule #3.

I am all for punishing the devs when they break the rules, however that also potentially punishes us the players from being able to get games started/people to talk about the game with.

Although off the top of my head I can't think of a worse thing to punish them with, and I would hope it won't be a common occurrence, so not really a deal breaker.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I would be in favor, and appreciate the openness with the community about the decision too.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Alright, sniperguy is in favor, let's pack this all up. Sorry guys, wasn't to be.

AntimatterDhalphirDarmakgtrmpStormwatcherGandalf_the_CrazedEssee
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I think this would work out rather well. As far as the developers being able to update the original post, is their any way for @Tube to make the second post in a thread automatically be by the developer so they can add any updates as needed? Or would that just be outside the scope and spirit of the subforum?

No I don't.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    In its own little sub forum it can easily be cut loose and razed to the ground if the experiment turns out to be a bust. As such I say why not give it a whirl.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Sounds like a good idea overall.

I would, however, amend #4 to allow for an open beta in lieu of a demo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I like the idea. There are a lot of interesting indie games around, but finding information can be hard.

All the rules sound good too, if a game dev wants some free marketing the least they can do is ask permission and have a demo.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I think it's a good idea; but I'm with others, punishing normal users for bringing up a game that might actually be great, just because the dev dicked up seems both unecessary and a lot of work for mods. Lets say game named, uh..."joeblow indie"'s dev gets turned down; but some user, unaware wants to discuss it with the forum in, lets say the Steam thread (since joeblow indie got put on Steam), and then that forumer gets infracted?

Nah. Too much. We should still be able to talk about any game (besides kickstarter crap, obviously) without fear of trying to figure out if any given game is on the "do not discuss" list.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Sounds great. As long as people who complain about "such and such game should have a thread here" and "this game isn't indie enough, it shouldn't be here" are dealt with.

I think it's a good idea; but I'm with others, punishing normal users for bringing up a game that might actually be great, just because the dev dicked up seems both unecessary and a lot of work for mods. Lets say game named, uh..."joeblow indie"'s dev gets turned down; but some user, unaware wants to discuss it with the forum in, lets say the Steam thread (since joeblow indie got put on Steam), and then that forumer gets infracted?

Nah. Too much. We should still be able to talk about any game (besides kickstarter crap, obviously) without fear of trying to figure out if any given game is on the "do not discuss" list.

Who said anything about infractions?

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

I think it's more about creating a new thread for a game, than posting about it in the steam thread. I don't like locking off the ability to make a thread about a game you like, but it's a tough to enforce the permission rule if anyone can just make an alt to post it. Could require 500 posts before creating a topic, but that's arbitrary and kinda dumb.

There's the issue of what threads could be posted in G&T. Would we not be able to have a topic about The Witness? Edmund McMillen didn't need to come here to create a Binding of Isaac thread. How do we determine what games get culled from regular G&T discussion? It's trading the problem of "Is this guy just shilling his game" for "Is this game big enough to be posted outside the Indie Zone(Brought to you by Internet Explorer)".

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Who said anything about infractions?

Oh, you're right, it's just for creating threads; I think I missed read the "banned from the forums" rule.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Would people other than developers be allowed to create threads? If I just love indie game x, but it doesn't have a demo, can I not make a thread? Is it intended to be primarily for self promotion? Seems odd to have the extra restrictions otherwise.

sig.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me.
    Would people other than developers be allowed to create threads? If I just love indie game x, but it doesn't have a demo, can I not make a thread? Is it intended to be primarily for self promotion? Seems odd to have the extra restrictions otherwise.

You're still free to make threads about whatever games, this is just a forum for self promotion for indie games that might otherwise not get a thread or any attention at all.

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • ZebukielZebukiel Registered User regular
    This sounds like a wonderful idea to me.
    I also believe in this statement as well
    I disagree. If we give people the opportunity for free publicity and they ignore our rules, fuck 'em. They're blacklisted.