As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] 62

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I remember very clearly when Challenger exploded.

6 year old me was depressed for like a week.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Bill Nye wrote:
    People still move to the United States. And that’s largely because of the intellectual capital we have, the general understanding of science,” Nye said in the clip. “When you have a portion of the population that doesn’t believe in that, it holds everybody back, really...

And I say to the grownups, if you want to deny evolution and live in your world that’s completely inconsistent with everything we observe in the universe, that’s fine, but don’t make your kids do it because we need them. We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for the future. We need people that can — we need engineers that can build stuff, solve problems.

Fuck yeah Bill Nye.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/08/bill-nye-the-science-guy-hits-evolution-deniers/

There are plenty of competent engineers who are hard-core right wingers and both anti-evolution and global warming deniers.

I think I have related the long version of my encounter with an engineer who worked for the Navy and rode us on an underway to work with and monitor and maintain some ultra-cutting edge sonar gear that was temporarily installed on the San Fran.

We got to talking about my job (as a radioman) and he told me that he simply didn't believe that the (extremely slight, yet measurable) difference between clocks on Earth and clocks on geosynchronous satellites was in fact proof of relativity.

I explained it to him as best I could. And he said "I understand what you are saying, but I don't believe that."

It didn't make him a less competent engineer. And yet, anti-science hellooooo.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    That sounds nuts. Was there some sort of construction that wouldn't allow them wire it properly?

Nah... see...
    japan wrote: »
    Your IT contractors sound like our IT contractors.

We don't have IT contractors.

What I'm certain happened is that years ago, they needed that office wired. Now instead of hiring a good cabling company to do it, they probably got some handyman, or some temp (we're a staffing agency) with handyman experience, got a quote, bitched about the price, and demanded they do it for half as much.

The vast, vast majority of the problems I encounter around here come down to 'we did this the absolute cheapest way possible years ago.'

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So, just to be clear, instead of putting in an Ethernet jack in the adjacent office, somebody drilled a hole in the wall to thread a cable through it, and then moved an oak desk in front of that hole.

:bz

Recently it took our (outsourced, offsite) IT people a grand total of six weeks and seven site visits to resolve an issue that originated with the fact that the particular floor jack it was plugged into was not connected to the switch at the other end. Helpfully it turns out that we have two sets of contractors, one to provide support for software and the actual boxes themselves, the other to support the intra and inter office network infrastructure.

Much time was spent by both blaming the other.

Oh god, server guys and network guys are at a constant war like heaven and hell. Once I had a network admin change out a cisco switch in the building next door. Immediately DHCP stopped working from that building... at all. His switch was the only change. But to hell if it was his problem. Must be the server... he was just "passing packets" (actual response).

My reaction to Cisco hardware is that of a vampire to a holy silver cross

*hisses, flees into the night*

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    AMFE, I was thinking of things I could claim wouldn't have happened under my watch after seeing that Ron Paul video.

I think my campaign pledge will be if I'd been alive Challenger wouldn't have exploded.

This has been Castle's daily reminder that I am really fucking old.

I was alive when Challenger exploded actually. I was like 3.

I was home sick from school and watched it on TV. It was pretty upsetting. :(

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Oh god, server guys and network guys are at a constant war like heaven and hell. Once I had a network admin change out a cisco switch in the building next door. Immediately DHCP stopped working from that building... at all. His switch was the only change. But to hell if it was his problem. Must be the server... he was just "passing packets" (actual response).

Thankfully me and our Linux/Unix admins are pretty tight.

Windows server team?

That's a different story.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I turned the internet back on because I am having a pee break from the movie.

I am finally watching this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkT5yzZrml8
    (I feel like the english trailer is kind of mocking you. I mean, jesus, it is dumb.)

it is a very intense movie! and a very well-crafted one.

ftOqU21.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

What I'm certain happened is that years ago, they needed that office wired. Now instead of hiring a good cabling company to do it, they probably got some handyman, or some temp (we're a staffing agency) with handyman experience, got a quote, bitched about the price, and demanded they do it for half as much.

The vast, vast majority of the problems I encounter around here come down to 'we did this the absolute cheapest way possible years ago.'

I'd consider that a "contractor", in the sense of someone contracted from outside the company to do a specific job.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    i was playing with my son outside and a car went by bumping some heavy bass. my son drops what he is doing and starts dancing in place (he's not that coordinated yet so it looks mostly like he is doing squats at an accelerated pace)

intrigued, i take him inside and put on some heavy dubstep with the wubbiest wubs and the sickest drops. he starts rocking out again. so we danced like crazy fools for like 15 minutes (this is a long time for a 1 year old)!

the bass is strong in this one

@gooey @desc

d'awwwwwww

that story was so cute I forgot about how i'm supposed to say negative things about dubsteppin'

<3

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    i like how babbies dance

they do just kind of squat and wiggle and it looks real dumb but also real adorable. usually they fall over sometime in the middle of it.

that trailer spoils a bit, too. It must be taking the piss against the american way of doing trailers.

ftOqU21.png
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    All of these job listings have at least one spelling error in them. What the fuck, employers of Austin.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    i like how babbies dance

they do just kind of squat and wiggle and it looks real dumb but also real adorable. usually they fall over sometime in the middle of it.

Baby bounce is best bounce :3

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'd consider that a "contractor", in the sense of someone contracted from outside the company to do a specific job.

Yeah, it would have been a contractor in that sense.

What I meant is that we don't have an ongoing outsourcing relationship with anybody.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    That sounds nuts. Was there some sort of construction that wouldn't allow them wire it properly?

Nah... see...

Yessssss

Just discovered that a client is not getting gigabit speeds for something like 75% of their machines on the local network, because the wiring is all substandard.

TL DR wrote: »
    Yessssss

Just discovered that a client is not getting gigabit speeds for something like 75% of their machines on the local network, because the wiring is all substandard.

yeah, there's absolute no way the network here will support gigabit.

I'm pretty sure it's all CAT5. Not CAT5e, just CAT5.

I have gigabit in between the servers and network equipment in the server room. I'm pretty sure that's the best I'm going to get.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEg0P3aDvgg

I'm not sure if that is terrible or awesome. I mean most of the lift kit hacks look like half assed shit but that one looks pretty good. And seriously, those rims have to be pretty custom.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    An EMT of all people fucking smoking inside the bus shelter. I find that pretty obnoxious.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Hey
    @AManFromEarth
    @Thanatos

I'm really attacking something else entirely, something completely unrelated to the discussion or anything having to do with you guys. Sorry for being a goose and aiming your way. It was undeserved.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Given how shitty memory is, a lot of people end of confabulating where they were when significant events happened.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hey
    -AManFromEarth
    -Thanatos

I'm really attacking something else entirely, something completely unrelated to the discussion or anything having to do with you guys. Sorry for being a goose and aiming your way. It was undeserved.

*handshake*

@Spool32

Lh96QHG.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, everyone in my town looks like a ghetto mutant alien. Sometimes I really think I'm in some kind of Cthulhuian horror story.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    you should see Headhunters

do not bring kids

it is violent when it gets violent

ftOqU21.png
    I hate when singers or comedians complain about people with cameras because "hurf durf you should be living in the moment"

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2012
    Tav wrote: »
    I hate when singers or comedians complain about people with cameras because "hurf durf you should be living in the moment"

on the one hand, i kind of sympathize with the point because i never take photos. i've been to five continents and a few dozen countries and never snapped as much as a single picture. it always seems unimportant to me!

on the other, yeah it seems really nasty in a 'i'm-a-comedian-but-i'm-seriously-saying-you're-an-idiot' sort of way and i don't like it

Organichu on
    Organichu wrote: »

on the one hand, i kind of sympathize with the point because i never take photos. i've been to five continents and a few dozen countries and never snapped as much as a single picture. it always seems unimportant to me!

on the other, yeah it seems really nasty in a 'i'm-a-comedian-but-i'm-seriously-saying-you're-an-idiot' sort of way and i don't like it

my memory will fade! I'm not going to remember a lot of the cool shit I've seen

comedians should be thankful. I'm classing them as the cool shit I've seen!

There is something a bit disconcerting about watching a fireworks display, and turning my attention to the crowd to see that fully a third of the people there are watching the display on their phones as they film it, rather than actually watching it happen.

It's weird.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Hey
    AManFromEarth
    Thanatos

Meh, whatevs. I don't take it too seriously.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Is it the cameras or the fuckwits who don't know how to turn off the flash on their camera though?

Cause I would be annoyed as hell if a bunch of people were blasting my eyes with camera flashes.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

Is it the cameras or the fuckwits who don't know how to turn off the flash on their camera though?

Cause I would be annoyed as hell if a bunch of people were blasting my eyes with camera flashes.

The first one. You've never seen someone complain about "those people who who go to shows and take pictures instead of listening"?

There is something a bit disconcerting about watching a fireworks display, and turning my attention to the crowd to see that fully a third of the people there are watching the display on their phones as they film it, rather than actually watching it happen.

It's weird.

I find this kind of odd as well.

I mean, I'm not saying that people shouldn't take pictures, but I think there's a line somewhere. I'm not sure I get filming things like that either. Possibly because having filmed stuff I haven't ever gone back and watched the video, whereas I have flicked back through old photos.

I don't get people like that. Meanwhile, I have to make a concerted effort just to bring my crappy phone anywhere.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

The first one. You've never seen someone complain about "those people who who go to shows and take pictures instead of listening"?

not really no. But then when I was of frequent show-going age very few people had cellphones and those didn't have cameras.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

It's weird.

I mean, I'm not saying that people shouldn't take pictures, but I think there's a line somewhere. I'm not sure I get filming things like that either. Possibly because having filmed stuff I haven't ever gone back and watched the video, whereas I have flicked back through old photos.

The video is not for them to watch, but to upload and have their friends watch.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Someone I like rate the new Vegas dlc from best to blurst.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Kagera wrote: »

sucks great awesome sucks milhouse titsmcgee

in that order

hehehehehehe

Inquisitor wrote: »

It's weird.

The video is not for them to watch, but to upload and have their friends watch.

I really doubt any of my friends would voluntarily watch videos I uploaded of things I did. Maybe helmet cam stuff, but not footage taken on a phone at an event.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

Honest Hearts
    Lonesome Road
    Old World Blues
    Dead Money

But YMMV.

Honest Hearts seems to be the most acclaimed in [chat] (it was my all-around favorite).
    Lonesome Road is the finale, and it's p good all around too.

Old World Blues and Dead Money both have good stories, settings, and mood but the gameplay aspect can be frustrating. Old World Blues is difficult. Dead Money has an annoying thing with the gas clouds.

This discussion has been closed.