As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]NICE is full. Draygo's guild too. Ask Entaru about Candymancers on Aspenwood.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Couldn't you just get the low level dungeon set from tokens and combine the look with crafted gear? Are some of the Runes limited to dungeon tokens only?

Echo wrote: »
    So. Yeah.

When I played my asura, there were several THIS IS A PERMANENT CHOICE warnings before choosing your order.

For the sylvari there was no such thing. And I was looking for it.
    And yeah, I had no idea it was a permanent choice. But I can't imagine a point in time I would stop wanting to be a superspy, so I'm not really upset.

The low level set doesn't have the pretty models.

Huh, I could have sworn they did, I previewed all of them off the first page.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Couldn't you just get the low level dungeon set from tokens and combine the look with crafted gear? Are some of the Runes limited to dungeon tokens only?

So. Yeah.

When I played my asura, there were several THIS IS A PERMANENT CHOICE warnings before choosing your order.

And yeah, I had no idea it was a permanent choice. But I can't imagine a point in time I would stop wanting to be a superspy, so I'm not really upset.

Unless they changed something in the last few days. The low leve sets all have the exact same model regardless of dungeon.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    At least putting together a dungeon set is a real achievement. If you see a player walking around in the Arah set, you know they've invested a lot of effort into it. For a game in which the cosmetics are the top-tier rewards, that kind of makes sense to me.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Huggles wrote: »
    At least putting together a dungeon set is a real achievement. If you see a player walking around in the Arah set, you know they've invested a lot of effort into it. For a game in which the cosmetics are the top-tier rewards, that kind of makes sense to me.

Exactly. The grind is not a requirement to keep your character up to date. The grind is an option for those who like to grind for rewards. But the rewards dont make your character better. Nothing really to complain about there.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    So I am sitting pretty around 385 or so jewelcrafting, which means I can make green accessories, amulets, and rings of any level.

If you need to be up to date on your jewels I am more than willing to do it for materials + a small tip. And soon I will be working with orichalcum- and then I'll really be cooking with fire.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Nah, it was just the part with the traps, and honestly, our group simply didn't have the necessary damage output to tackle that dungeon. The cave troll literally regenerated to full while we were fighting him, it was a bit depressing.

I feel like I should be doing more damage as a ranger

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Yeah, some mobs' health regen is pretty ridiculous. There are some skelks or whatever they're called that have an innate health regen that, depending on your class/weapon loadout, literally can't be killed as their health regens as fast as you remove it. Just something that needs a tuning pass though, no biggie.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The nice thing is that I have the heritage armor set to look awesome until I can decide which dungeon set I want to sport.

I think it'll be Sorrow's Embrace heavy because nothing says "guarding things" like having a fortification on your shoulder. I should have rolled norn because then I could have an asura ranger ride in it.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    can someone link pics of all of the dungeon armor sets? heavy / med / light?

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Ran Sorrow's End last night.

The last boss was a lot of fun. Really easy once you figure out the mechanic on how to beat him, but an enjoyable fight. The second to last boss though. Decent idea, nothing we haven't seen before, but the tuning is terrible. That second Golem took forever to kill, it went from "Oh shit, this mechanic is tough but interesting" to "WHY DOES HE HAVE SO MUCH HEALTH?!" The fight takes way too long because of that second golem and I think they should lower his health by like 50%. Once you figure out how to counter his moves, its just a 20 minute slog of boredom till he finally dies.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    I'm starting to get a little bummed leveling with my thief. There are just.. I don't know, not enough weapon sets or something. I just get bored really quickly now that she's mid thirties.

I've been trying to nail down why this is exactly, and I think its just because alot of the abilities on a theif are just kind of nuanced and very... I don't know, not specifically hard hitting or flashy. Because stuff isn't on cooldown, the thief is kind of designed in a way that you are probably just using the 1 and 3 key in solo pve combat.

The thing is that I really like playing a thief in PvP. And the one time I did AC I had an absolute blast. Its still PvE, but you have the small group play where you're contribution to your party matters in a way that it doesn't in the zerg.

I would level up by doing WvWvW, but in my time with it the leveling just seems so inconsistant and frankly, slower than PvE. Maybe If I had a bunch of you guys to roll with and take keeps while the rest of the server zergs back and forth, but as it is its fun but I'm not going to level very fast off of it.

I'd be curious to hear other thiefs (and maybe mesmers, they seem like they might have a similar problem) pve experience. Maybe it would make all the difference to get a partner to play with.

That's odd. This is the first MMO for me that the rogue archetype worked well and I didn't get bored of it (biggest factor is probably the more tactical use of stealth). I've spent the vast majority of my time leveling (58 now) using dagger/dagger, with either shortbow or pistol/pistol in the backup. I use steal very often, as I've had points in trickery from the word go. The fury/might/swiftness on steal trait makes it a nice burst cooldown, and I very rarely come away with something that isn't useful for the fight; I like the little globs you throw that make an ethereal combo field and poison(?) the target, because I can leap on them for chaos armor, or whirl them for confusion bolts. That's another fun thing about the weapon set: Dagger/dagger has 3 finisher types (leap on 2, whirl on 3, projectile on 4), and shortbow has the blast finisher on 2 if you want that.

Since around 30, I've focused a lot more on conditions (bleed & poison) and especially since I realized how good D/D 3 is with the AoE bleeds. It's like a dance where I'm managing my initiative for the whirl, my position so I hit multiple targets with it, and the timing so I evade something and don't get slapped in the face when I land.

Shadow Refuge is one of the best utility skills around. Period. Need to rez someone in a dangerous spot? Drop SR on there and everyone is stealthed. I haven't put a stopwatch on it but that stealth lasts a long time when I'm rezzing someone. To the point that I'm worried it's a bug.

Like anything though, it's more fun rolling with a group. Even one other guy running around with me makes a big difference. The DEs are getting bigger and better as I get higher level, so that's keeping it fresh for me. Dunno, there's no penalty for trying another class. Can always come back after a while and it may feel fresh (or you can try a fresh approach). I would say try a steal-heavy build if you haven't and see if that adds variety.

Shadow Refuge stealth stacks with every pulse. I think the total time is ~12 seconds, provided you don't move out of the initial effect area. I also wonder if this is a bug. Although the limitation of being stuck in the effect area in order to maintain stealth means it is not horrendously overpowered, I suppose.

As far as weapon sets I like to use dagger/pistol. Dagger/pistol 3-skill shadow shot is great to close distance, but can also be used at point-blank for a blind (time it against enemy attacks for awesome). The 5-skill black powder (smoke field) also blinds, and can be used with the 2-skill leap (combo finisher) for a stealth+backstab.

I use pistol/dagger for secondary while solo due to the evasiveness. Mostly just have the set as backup to vanish/kite if things get dangerous. In groups I use pistol/pistol or shortbow secondary for ranged single and AoE damage, respectively.

Somehow I didn't realise that 2-skill on shortbow was a blast finisher. I will definitely be making use of that.

I am considering using sword/pistol in dungeons rather than dagger/pistol, as blinds are much less effective than stuns there.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    can someone link pics of all of the dungeon armor sets? heavy / med / light?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJDW8KjVos

ALTERNATIVELY:

http://dulfy.net/2012/07/21/gw2-armor-previews/

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Checked My Story on the hero page, and I see my first real Order mission has a trophy attached to it. Something for a future Hall of Monuments thing?

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Thankfully I don't really care for the majority of the dungeon sets. There are a couple that are fantastic looking but I don't have the dedication necessary to run those dungeons a bajillion times for the tokens. Props to those who do, though.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular

So. Yeah.

Unless they changed something in the last few days. The low leve sets all have the exact same model regardless of dungeon.

Wait..... do they all look like this set?
    image85.png
    That could explain what was going on the other day... A friend and I were both previewing gear and he said every set looked like what he was currently wearing. We just assumed it was a bug because he was in overflow and I wasn't. I know I was definitely looking at the same level gear he was.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    now i'm too scared to play this, just had to initiate a chargeback with my credit card since their support doesn't actually respond to anyone's support request, the support forum is just people going "why are no ones support requests being answered?" and now i don't want to put any more hours on my characters in case they cancel the legit key along with the extra they sent/charged me for. *sigh*

I'm assuming they sold way more than they expected to but this is swiftly passing from launch troubles to gross incompetence.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I think my favorite moment as a mesmer so far is putting Feedback on one of those thief type npc's that does the whirling knife toss. It's nearly instant death for that mob type.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    I think my favorite moment as a mesmer so far is putting Feedback on one of those thief type npc's that does the whirling knife toss. It's nearly instant death for that mob type.

"Look at me, I'm a blender!"
    *Feedback*
    "Look at you, now you're in a blender!"

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Wooah, I didn't know mesmer had an ability like that.

That would fuck people up so bad.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »

"Look at me, I'm a blender!"
    *Feedback*
    "Look at you, now you're in a blender!"

It's very satisfying. I don't find it as useful on things armed with rifles or pistols.

Does anyone have any opinions on mesmer elite skills as an Asura? I'm currently using Moa morph. I've also played with the battle suit and have the mistfire wolf.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

Mesmer diluted to a single sentence, ladies and gentlemen.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Time warp is the only good pve Mesmer elite

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I wonder what happens if you feedback a shadow shot. Does the thief implode? Now I'm nervous...

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options

So. Yeah.

Wait..... do they all look like this set?
    image85.png
    That could explain what was going on the other day... A friend and I were both previewing gear and he said every set looked like what he was currently wearing. We just assumed it was a bug because he was in overflow and I wasn't. I know I was definitely looking at the same level gear he was.

Probably, I am not a female so I can't be sure. But they all have the same hood/hat you get for completing story mode. That's how you know!

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    I wonder what happens if you feedback a shadow shot. Does the thief implode? Now I'm nervous...

The theif gets deleted and they have to reroll.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options

You should be.

• Options
    Another fun Feedback fact, you can cast it while doing something else!

• Options

It really is the best. It just doubles everyones DPS. *DOUBLES* Too good.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Actually if I shadow shot those NPC mesmers in AC when they have their buff up, they reflect the shot and teleport to me. While quite dangerous, I thought that was rather cool.

Also potentially useful in PvP, perhaps.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options

It really is the best. It just doubles everyones DPS. *DOUBLES* Too good.

Well, I guess I'll purchase that shortly, then.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Actually if I shadow shot those NPC mesmers in AC when they have their buff up, they reflect the shot and teleport to me. While quite dangerous, I thought that was rather cool.

In Soviet Russia

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I just took a look at the Dungeon armor prices.

You get 30 tokens in your first Explorer run and 20 every run after. Most pieces of armor cost 320-380 tokens each.

Probably best to get a dedicated group to farm runs since knowing what to do can make a difference between 1 and 4 hour runs.

Definitely a little bummed to see this here. My understanding pre launch was that it would be like 1 token per piece of gear, 1 token earned per explorable run. As in, not a massive grind. Most of this game is so much about not having MMO traditions that suck dick, having to run explorables 100 times for a set of cool looking gear will definitely be jarring, but oh well. It's not like anybody is forcing me to do them to get cool looking gear. I will do it anyway because hey, some of the armor sets are just too fucking sweet looking.

More specific numbers:
    Head - 180 (9 runs)
    Shoulder - 210 (11 runs)
    Chest - 330 (17 runs)
    Gloves - 180 (9 runs)
    Pants - 300 (15 runs)
    Shoes - 180 (9 runs)

70 runs of one Explorer Mode dungeon

That's far worse than world of warcraft. Which is impressive.

How did they screw this one up so badly? Will not be running any exploratory dungeons until this is fixed.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I agree it is extreme. Should be about a third of that.

Of course, there are exotics available more easily, so you can make the argument that this is a grind for a cosmetic appearance, which would be true to GW style.

Also, I have heard that explorable mode runs can get quite fast (~15 minutes). So in some cases, you could probably do multiple runs per day. Probably varies though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm starting to get a little bummed leveling with my thief. There are just.. I don't know, not enough weapon sets or something. I just get bored really quickly now that she's mid thirties.

I've been trying to nail down why this is exactly, and I think its just because alot of the abilities on a theif are just kind of nuanced and very... I don't know, not specifically hard hitting or flashy. Because stuff isn't on cooldown, the thief is kind of designed in a way that you are probably just using the 1 and 3 key in solo pve combat.

The thing is that I really like playing a thief in PvP. And the one time I did AC I had an absolute blast. Its still PvE, but you have the small group play where you're contribution to your party matters in a way that it doesn't in the zerg.

I would level up by doing WvWvW, but in my time with it the leveling just seems so inconsistant and frankly, slower than PvE. Maybe If I had a bunch of you guys to roll with and take keeps while the rest of the server zergs back and forth, but as it is its fun but I'm not going to level very fast off of it.

I'd be curious to hear other thiefs (and maybe mesmers, they seem like they might have a similar problem) pve experience. Maybe it would make all the difference to get a partner to play with.

@Foolish Chaos

My thief is level 43ish right now and basically I'm having more fun than I was initially. I mostly play PvE (although I have dabbled successfully in WvWvW) and basically I run dagger/dagger and shortbow as my weapons. I've specced into the trait that gives toughness and healing and a bit into the one that gives vitality and boon duration. I open a fight with Cloak and dagger and immediately reposition to backstab. I get off a full 3 hit combo (double strike/Wild Strike/Lotus strike) and then go into another Cloak and dagger/backstab. When I come out of this one I'll use death blossom followed by an immediate Heartseeker. If steal is up i'll use that early on into another backstab (I have the stealth on steal trait) then i'll use whatever I stole and combo off that if I can.

The key in this build is the trait that refunds 2 initiative on using a stealth ability. It essentially reduces the cost of cloak and dagger to 4 initiative and with the stealth cooldown you can pretty much use it infinitely if you wanted.

If I'm fighting more than one opponent i'll use Dancing dagger more often because it will bounce multiple times when there are just 2-3 foes. (2 is ideal as it will bounce between them multiple times doing quite a bit of damage)

If i'm fighting more than 3 enemies I'll switch to shortbow and throw down Choking gas into an immediate cluster bomb at the same location while I auto fire my Trick shot to burn them all down.

If it's an especially tough fight I'll use my elite Thieves Guild to summon two thieves which will pretty much blow anything up in combination with my own impressive damage. If I'm in a tight spot i'll use blinding powder to reset the fight in my favor. I also always run signet of malice because I attack quickly and the passive hp gained from that lets me stay up often instead of having to rely on using my heal. Of course it also has a small heal active that i'll use if i'm in a pinch.

My final utility slot is taken with Ambush which I use liberally as having a second target out (One that does impressive damage) is great in pretty much any fight. If I think the fight i'm going into is especially hard I'll save Ambush and use it in combination with Thieves Guild to turn a 1v1 into a 4v1. Most veteran's fall pretty quickly to this and most bad fights turn into a breeze when I call in my friends.

In general though most enemies my level drop pretty quick with liberal use of backstab, and since I have 3 different ways to stealth I can use backstab pretty much as often as I can stealth myself.

Liberal use of dodge in avoiding big attack is pretty important as well. Drakes for instance have a fire breath attack that hurts quite a bit but keeps them stationary. So when I see them about to use it instead of dodging out of the way i'll use Death Blossom to get behind them and go to town while they channel it. Stuff like that is important when playing a thief.

But the most important thing you can possibly do as a thief, and I mean the absolute most important thing that will either make or break the success of a thief. The one thing that is a secret passed down from thief to thief in the strictest of confidence is that whatever you do, whatever your goals:
    NGfok.jpg
    You need to look stunning while doing it.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »

You get 30 tokens in your first Explorer run and 20 every run after. Most pieces of armor cost 320-380 tokens each.

Probably best to get a dedicated group to farm runs since knowing what to do can make a difference between 1 and 4 hour runs.

Definitely a little bummed to see this here. My understanding pre launch was that it would be like 1 token per piece of gear, 1 token earned per explorable run. As in, not a massive grind. Most of this game is so much about not having MMO traditions that suck dick, having to run explorables 100 times for a set of cool looking gear will definitely be jarring, but oh well. It's not like anybody is forcing me to do them to get cool looking gear. I will do it anyway because hey, some of the armor sets are just too fucking sweet looking.

More specific numbers:
    Head - 180 (9 runs)
    Shoulder - 210 (11 runs)
    Chest - 330 (17 runs)
    Gloves - 180 (9 runs)
    Pants - 300 (15 runs)
    Shoes - 180 (9 runs)

How did they screw this one up so badly? Will not be running any exploratory dungeons until this is fixed.

Historically getting vanity stuff in GW1 was a very very long grind. Though those numbers may not be final, I am not surprised to see them.

The dungeon sets can be thought of like vabbian/obsidian armor sets, except they have several of them out at release instead of one/none.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    hey guys. this game is soooooo good.

Cant decide if I want to reroll @ 80 or push for 100% (currently @ like 45% @ lvl 70)?

decisions decisions....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular

More specific numbers:
    Head - 180 (9 runs)
    Shoulder - 210 (11 runs)
    Chest - 330 (17 runs)
    Gloves - 180 (9 runs)
    Pants - 300 (15 runs)
    Shoes - 180 (9 runs)

It's because it is purely cosmetic. None of these items will give you an edge over anyone, they are PURELY for showing off. And to show off and be half way special, you need to do a bit of work.
    That's all there is to it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options

More specific numbers:
    Head - 180 (9 runs)
    Shoulder - 210 (11 runs)
    Chest - 330 (17 runs)
    Gloves - 180 (9 runs)
    Pants - 300 (15 runs)
    Shoes - 180 (9 runs)

The difference is you don't need this gear in order to advance into the next set of PVE objectives.

The feedback bubble would be different though because it doesn't reflect from the mesmer!

• Options

It's also an Ethereal combo field. With a bunch of people around, it combos Confusion onto the targets for extra up-fuckings.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Rend wrote: »

More specific numbers:
    Head - 180 (9 runs)
    Shoulder - 210 (11 runs)
    Chest - 330 (17 runs)
    Gloves - 180 (9 runs)
    Pants - 300 (15 runs)
    Shoes - 180 (9 runs)

Historically getting vanity stuff in GW1 was a very very long grind. Though those numbers may not be final, I am not surprised to see them.

The dungeon sets can be thought of like vabbian/obsidian armor sets, except they have several of them out at release instead of one/none.

I think that last bit is what needs to be repeated over and over - *none* of these super-expensive sets are superior stat wise than other level 80 gear, they're *100% for appearance*.

GW1 had the same setup, and the super-expensive sets there were basically huge bragging rights items (and later points in HoM, which would net you more vanity stuff for GW2).

The only thing I dislike about them is that unlike GW1 where you could get the sets via buying lots of misc items to build the set, these require repeat runnings of one instance. I wouldn't be surprised if they had weekend 'double token' events though.

It's also an Ethereal combo field. With a bunch of people around, it combos Confusion onto the targets for extra up-fuckings.

Combo icon is the little heart over people's heads that has an effect name on it right? I've seen big crowds combo off my Mesmer stuff and it never quite dawned on me that that's what was happening.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
This discussion has been closed.