As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] OLD THREAD BYE BYE

18990929495100

Posts

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to go all out for the Cerb adept now.

  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Agusalim wrote: »
    It's funny because the gameplay was far and away my least favorite part of LotSB; based on gameplay it was just another ho-hum DLC. It had a boss fight that was probably more interesting than uh...well any other boss fight in the series really; but aside from that it was still just your run of the mill ME gameplay.

    you know its funny, i was thinking the other day that me's combat just disnae really lend itself to boss fights. shadow broker was probably the best one, vasir in the same dlc was a cool idea but she was really just a bullet sponge that moved around quicker than ordinary mooks, reaper larva was dumb as heck and saren was just awful (whether on hoverboard or as a super geth hopper/muppet-looking cunt)

    i reckon the best combat-centric setpieces in the game are the ones that play to the strengths of the basic gameplay with a wee additional twist eg the object rho waves or the defence of the missiles right at the end of london

    Agreed on all of this.

    ME3 on Insanity makes combat feel generally tough - fuck up and let 1 or 2 guys get some uninterrupted shots at you, and you die instantly. I usually know when I'm about to die when I realize I'm not rolling into protected cover and have let myself get flanked.

    The Object Rho fight was awesome in this sense - and I'd like to see more like it - where you're kind of bunkering down and really have to work to hold off the enemy from flanking you.

    The Object Rho fight wasn't awesome because you were bunkering down and trying to avoid being flanked. The last battle in the game is actually kind of like that, and it was fairly meh. The Object Rho fight was awesome because it was an elite special forces team - the same sort of people that you get to play as in ME3 multiplayer - taking on Shepard on their home turf with mech support and while Shepard is trying to fight off the effects of the Reaper artifact. And they're the ones crying out about how hopeless the fight is.

    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The Shadowbroker entry fight was fucking awesome (remember, it was before Object Rho), and it pretty well proved the concept of a non-boss-fight boss fight.

  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Agusalim wrote: »
    It's funny because the gameplay was far and away my least favorite part of LotSB; based on gameplay it was just another ho-hum DLC. It had a boss fight that was probably more interesting than uh...well any other boss fight in the series really; but aside from that it was still just your run of the mill ME gameplay.

    you know its funny, i was thinking the other day that me's combat just disnae really lend itself to boss fights. shadow broker was probably the best one, vasir in the same dlc was a cool idea but she was really just a bullet sponge that moved around quicker than ordinary mooks, reaper larva was dumb as heck and saren was just awful (whether on hoverboard or as a super geth hopper/muppet-looking cunt)

    i reckon the best combat-centric setpieces in the game are the ones that play to the strengths of the basic gameplay with a wee additional twist eg the object rho waves or the defence of the missiles right at the end of london

    Agreed on all of this.

    ME3 on Insanity makes combat feel generally tough - fuck up and let 1 or 2 guys get some uninterrupted shots at you, and you die instantly. I usually know when I'm about to die when I realize I'm not rolling into protected cover and have let myself get flanked.

    The Object Rho fight was awesome in this sense - and I'd like to see more like it - where you're kind of bunkering down and really have to work to hold off the enemy from flanking you.

    The Object Rho fight wasn't awesome because you were bunkering down and trying to avoid being flanked. The last battle in the game is actually kind of like that, and it was fairly meh. The Object Rho fight was awesome because it was an elite special forces team - the same sort of people that you get to play as in ME3 multiplayer - taking on Shepard on their home turf with mech support and while Shepard is trying to fight off the effects of the Reaper artifact. And they're the ones crying out about how hopeless the fight is.


    The bolded actually made the DLC for me, really. Hearing them slowly realize how unlikely it was for them to win that fight was awesome.

    Etchwarts on
  • Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Agusalim wrote: »
    It's funny because the gameplay was far and away my least favorite part of LotSB; based on gameplay it was just another ho-hum DLC. It had a boss fight that was probably more interesting than uh...well any other boss fight in the series really; but aside from that it was still just your run of the mill ME gameplay.

    you know its funny, i was thinking the other day that me's combat just disnae really lend itself to boss fights. shadow broker was probably the best one, vasir in the same dlc was a cool idea but she was really just a bullet sponge that moved around quicker than ordinary mooks, reaper larva was dumb as heck and saren was just awful (whether on hoverboard or as a super geth hopper/muppet-looking cunt)

    i reckon the best combat-centric setpieces in the game are the ones that play to the strengths of the basic gameplay with a wee additional twist eg the object rho waves or the defence of the missiles right at the end of london

    Agree completely. I've mentioned something similar before as the reason why I wasn't upset about the boss fight in ME2. I just didn't expect anything more. It's very difficult to provide a good boss fight given the mechanics of the engine. I thought the final battle in LotS was the best of the series, and that was largely due to the cutscenes.

    I think puzzles + combat was a missed opportunity for the game. The ideal case would be solving something similar in challenge/enjoyment to what you'd see in Portal while under fire from enemy forces.

  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Dude, Vasir rocked the house.

    Fighting a Vanguard with a Vanguard?

    Fuck. Yes.
    It wasn't until playing the DLC as a vanguard that I understood why anyone liked the fight. Very fun as a vanguard, but awful as anyone else.

    On the other hand, fighting the shadow broker as an engineer is just silly. He turns around every time you cast drone, so if you cast it every time it's down, SB will never touch you.

  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I didn't have a problem with it as Adept Shepard or Sentinel Shepard. Don't think I played it with anything else...

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sentinel Shep was my canon Shep.

  • AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    The Shadowbroker entry fight was fucking awesome (remember, it was before Object Rho), and it pretty well proved the concept of a non-boss-fight boss fight.

    actually aye that fight gave me my absolute favourite moment of combat in me2

    one of the big truck things comes down, all the dudes are clustered on the back so a single arc projector shot strips all their shields. liara puts down a singularity, everyones lifted and when i charge every single target flies off the side of the building

    fuck you

    im a vanguard

  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    The object Rho fight is a more extreme, hardened version of what I imagine Elysium was like. Just mercs and batarians and pirates jammed up at a door screaming in bewilderment over why they can't get any further anymore.

    s7Imn5J.png
  • TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    so we're just getting a patch right? no new DLC? I have almost 2 million credits saved up and I'd hate to use them after the update only to find that there's nothing new. I'm just getting tired of waiting for the next MP DLC to drop when we've heard nothing official about content or ETA.

    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Save your monies until the DLC drops.

    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Ides of MarchIdes of March Registered User regular
    So, I just caught up with the thread dating back to Friday. I'm liking the changes made to balance and those upcoming in the patch. Not being able to pick up Pyros kinda sucks but it's not that big a deal, and I say that as someone who enjoys GWG farming for quick, easy credits. Most of the grabs on that level are hunters who moved in quickly. Pyros usually get killed before they get close. Also, I always snorted when my Salarian engi would stand up into a flame and pick the Pyro up, because for some reason flames aren't hot when you're performing a grab.

    Also, I had a miraculous occurrence over the weekend. I was playing my Kroguard and was doing silver since he was only level 10, and I queued up for any/any/silver. We ended up on Rio and I thought, "Oh shit." Then I saw that there was ANOTHER Kroguard and I thought, "Oh fuck." Well, I decided to just play and not use heavy melee (as sad as that is) and hope for the best. Incredibly, so did the other guy! I think I saw him throw maybe one heavy melee the whole round - we got a full extraction. As far as I could tell, nobody dropped due to the bug. I couldn't believe it. (I also learned not to charge Banshees - charging Atlases and Brutes is fine, you can back away quickly enough - but don't fuck with Banshees.)

  • Ides of MarchIdes of March Registered User regular
    It's funny because the gameplay was far and away my least favorite part of LotSB; based on gameplay it was just another ho-hum DLC. It had a boss fight that was probably more interesting than uh...well any other boss fight in the series really; but aside from that it was still just your run of the mill ME gameplay. EDIT: The ship was epic, the outside; but that was more visuals and design, and not really gameplay. The actual stuff leading up to getting inside I found pretty annoying actually.

    It was all the stuff you could do, all the dossiers, and that fun stuff once you got there.

    Similarly, in Leviathan, all the 'not-combat' stuff was interesting enough to carry it.

    But LotSB is really an unreasonably high standard to hold DLC's to.

    I actually really really enjoyed the speeder chase scene, that was pretty funny. I loved how Shepard was having a great time while Liara was trying not to pee her pants.

    Also, the ship was pretty damn epic inside too. Also, the SB was one of the craziest-looking things I'd ever seen.

  • Ides of MarchIdes of March Registered User regular
    New operation posted!

    Operation OVERDRIVE (October 5th-7th)

    Based on intel recovered during Operation PATRIOT, we are anticipating a massive strike from the Reapers on multiple fronts. Our information officers and special-ops teams stationed behind enemy lines require immediate extraction.

    Squad Goal: Full extraction on any map at any difficulty in 20 minutes or less. Squads can be any size.

    Allied Goal: Complete 200,000 extraction waves on any difficulty. Squads can be any size. Full extraction not required.

    Special Circumstance: None

    Squad Goal Success: All squad members awarded a Commendation Pack
    Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack

  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Ooooh. 20 minute extractions. NICE.

  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nice of them to actually state the goals clearly for once.

    Also, one we can solo again, since I'm sure most of us can knock out a bronze in 20 min or less, barring some particularly nasty wave objectives.

    Even pubs should be able to do silver in about that time, objectives pending of course.

    Gold is totally doable with a good team, but I wouldn't waste my time trying to pub it.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Also, every attempt at squad goal contributes to the allied goal. Like, directly. It's almost... Like they planned the thing.

  • Ides of MarchIdes of March Registered User regular
    Yeah, this should be a piece of cake, both for the squad and the community goals. Basically playing the game will help contribute to the community, and one concerted effort to not fuck up a bronze extraction is not too much to ask, even with pubbies.

  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Oh hey, that patch sounds quite intriguing. But still waiting to hear new DLC information. Borderlands 2 continues to hold too much of a draw right now, but I'm glad to hear ME3 is still moving in the right direction for when I hop back once in a while.

  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Patch clarification: "Less mercifull enemies" includes cannibal executions. They will puke on your dead bodies, and it will murder you.

    Also, a thoughtfull quote from Chris Priestly regarding Hunter Mode headaches:

    "This issue is not planned be patched, which is why it is not addressed in upcoming patch 1.04.

    If the Geth Hunter mode is not to your liking you can change the brightness in game or on your monitor/TV or you can choose to play another class."

    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

  • AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    Patch clarification: "Less mercifull enemies" includes cannibal executions. They will puke on your dead bodies, and it will murder you.

    Also, a thoughtfull quote from Chris Priestly regarding Hunter Mode headaches:

    "This issue is not planned be patched, which is why it is not addressed in upcoming patch 1.04.

    If the Geth Hunter mode is not to your liking you can change the brightness in game or on your monitor/TV or you can choose to play another class."

    oh chris priestly

    best pr man

  • Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Another quiet day I see. No one has tried on the Raider shotgun or anything?

    I gave it a run last night on my Turian soldier. Didn't care for that particular combination (I have marksman spec'ed for rate of fire, which didn't seem all that useful with the Raider). It does very good damage though. My guess is that it would work very nicely on an infiltrator.

  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    20 minutes? aw shit. shit.

  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I wonder if I can solo a bronze in 20 minutes

    time to load up geth infiltrator/piranha and take bronze to school, I guess

    I tried the raider out and tbh it just seems inferior to the piranha. It might be because I have the raider at 2 and the piranha at X, though

    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I had no problems doing silver in 20 minutes. So bronze shouldn't be a problem.

    newSig.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I haven't kept close records, but I know on PA crews I've done 10-12 minute Bronze runs, sub 15 minute silvers and sub 20 minute gold clears. It depends at least in part on what map and faction you're fighting, what objective waves you get, and partially tied to that one; how free you are with consumables.

    A 'kill these 4 guys' wave can be cut down to a fraction of its normal length with the right people/classes applying missiles appropriately.

    I like it. It's not a freebie, but seems quite doable.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    GOnna need to get the boys together and burn down Cerberus/Glacier/Gold

    I think that in under 20 should be very doable. Maybe the GI with the Reegar...

    dN0T6ur.png
  • Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Glacier gold is what I'd recommend. Even with pubs the clear time is usually under 20.

  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    anything on glacier can be done in under 20

    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    Another quiet day I see. No one has tried on the Raider shotgun or anything?

    I gave it a run last night on my Turian soldier. Didn't care for that particular combination (I have marksman spec'ed for rate of fire, which didn't seem all that useful with the Raider). It does very good damage though. My guess is that it would work very nicely on an infiltrator.

    From using it in sp. The Raider is basically a Wraith/Piranha hybrid.

    The accuarcy of the piranha with the ammo capacity of the Wraith.

    But to make up for it. It does more damage per shot than both. With a higher fire rate too.

    That said with its weight being compartively higher would only use it if you really wanted to or didn't have those other two.

    Dragkonias on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I might even be able to help on Origin this weekend if anyone is doing a Team Dubstep run on Glacier

    dN0T6ur.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'll have to tear myself away from Borderlands 2 and help out for the cause.

  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Boo was hoping it would be a promote objective and someone could help me out on the squad goal since I'm out of town.

    Oh well I'll just miss that eagle iii until next event.

    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    @Cambiata

    you are doing God's
    Starchild's

    work

    Joolander on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    So, went back and reinstalled this, got all the DLC. Only to find out that while I wasn't paying attention there have been a truly staggering amount of bugs introduced in the single player, the ones I particularly care about being all the problems with weapon mods (the worst one, specifically, sometimes picking them up doesn't actually give them to you, and you can't buy them later on the citadel, they're just gone from the game at that point; and it's totally random which ones will do this in a playthrough, reloading savegames won't help almost all of the time, nobody has a clue what is causing it so there aren't any community workaraounds...). This patch isn't fixing any of the bugs either (map glitch and ridiculous animation errors such as camera-through-head and excorcism head-spinning during a convo as well). Since this round of glitches are being reported in threads four months old I'm going to go ahead and assume they don't give a shit about single player anymore?

    Well fuck, I really wish someone had told me before I went and spent money on the DLC. Multiplayer is great and all, but I'm amazed some of the bugs I'm seeing are still active in the single player rank lower on the priority list than making geth farming harder. Is it paranoid of me to look at the store in multiplayer and get pissed?

  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    So, went back and reinstalled this, got all the DLC. Only to find out that while I wasn't paying attention there have been a truly staggering amount of bugs introduced in the single player, the ones I particularly care about being all the problems with weapon mods (the worst one, specifically, sometimes picking them up doesn't actually give them to you, and you can't buy them later on the citadel, they're just gone from the game at that point; and it's totally random which ones will do this in a playthrough, reloading savegames won't help almost all of the time, nobody has a clue what is causing it so there aren't any community workaraounds...). This patch isn't fixing any of the bugs either (map glitch and ridiculous animation errors such as camera-through-head and excorcism head-spinning during a convo as well). Since this round of glitches are being reported in threads four months old I'm going to go ahead and assume they don't give a shit about single player anymore?

    Well fuck, I really wish someone had told me before I went and spent money on the DLC. Multiplayer is great and all, but I'm amazed some of the bugs I'm seeing are still active in the single player rank lower on the priority list than making geth farming harder. Is it paranoid of me to look at the store in multiplayer and get pissed?

    Maybe a little

    The situation you're describing does suck a ton, though, and I'm hoping I don't experience those glitches when I play the PC version

    dN0T6ur.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    @cambiata

    the tali loves her job one is quite amazing

    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Astale wrote: »
    So, went back and reinstalled this, got all the DLC. Only to find out that while I wasn't paying attention there have been a truly staggering amount of bugs introduced in the single player, the ones I particularly care about being all the problems with weapon mods (the worst one, specifically, sometimes picking them up doesn't actually give them to you, and you can't buy them later on the citadel, they're just gone from the game at that point; and it's totally random which ones will do this in a playthrough, reloading savegames won't help almost all of the time, nobody has a clue what is causing it so there aren't any community workaraounds...). This patch isn't fixing any of the bugs either (map glitch and ridiculous animation errors such as camera-through-head and excorcism head-spinning during a convo as well). Since this round of glitches are being reported in threads four months old I'm going to go ahead and assume they don't give a shit about single player anymore?

    Well fuck, I really wish someone had told me before I went and spent money on the DLC. Multiplayer is great and all, but I'm amazed some of the bugs I'm seeing are still active in the single player rank lower on the priority list than making geth farming harder. Is it paranoid of me to look at the store in multiplayer and get pissed?

    Oi, what's this now?

    BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

    Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/


Sign In or Register to comment.