As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] OLD THREAD BYE BYE

• tolragtolrag Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Wrex was more like an Adept than a Vanguard.

In ME1, the Vanguard was just an Adept with fewer powers who could use shotguns.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

To be fair, Vanguards didn't have Charge in ME1, so ALL Vanguards were more like shooty Adepts. He's still Combat/Biotic, and that's Vanguard.

• AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Y'know how people have complained (mainly on Live) about getting kicked after doing really well on a run? I've noticed sort of the opposite on Origin; whenever I do really well (like 125k+ to the rest of the team between 25k and 50k or so), it's becoming a pattern to have 2 people drop immediately.

Maybe it's just coincidence. Maybe the times it happened, I just ended up being on the final run of an epic twenty mission marathon for those guys... but whenever I find a solid team with people making me work just for 3rd place, man, I'm generally in on that for as long as I can ride the money train.

This seems to happen every time I play with pugs. I don't know if everyone only has time for that one game or if they just really hate vanguards.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I might actually start playing this again with all the new stuff incoming. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Good job Bioware!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    So hey here's a question i've never seen answered anywhere.

Can I promote characters without them going to my Galactic Readiness? I would like to pimp my N7 rating without making it impossible to get a failshep game in the future.

Is that possible or am I just stuck with Rank 120 compared to people who have hundreds (or 3000! like the guy I was playing with tonight)?

To the best of my knowledge, promoting characters just adds them to your war assets no matter what.

Is it communalative? When I finished my second playthrough a couple months ago my N7 status was high and mighty (worth more then ALL the Turian assets combined). But when I started a new game+ there were no N7 assets yet since I hadn't promoted anyone since I started.

newSig.jpg
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    You may need to leave and return. It's sometimes a bit buggy about showing up.

That is, exit out of the war assets screen and return. Or go to the galaxy overview page and switch page.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    tolrag wrote: »
    In ME1, the Vanguard was just an Adept with fewer powers who could use shotguns.

Also medium armor versus light armor (aka tissue paper).

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Sort of updated Roster

2nrhizs.png

Still missing: Turian Havock Soldier, Turian Ghost Infiltrator, Quarian Marksman (Soldier?)

Repost, but some new details:

"I see references to things called "Blood Pack Spike Thrower", "Blood Pack Melee", and "Blood Pack Harpoon"" - Cyonan, the guy who digs around in the files for pictures

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

Captain CarrotMild Confusion
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    As much as I'd like this or that cool new class, I really just want all of the Volus classes. I've always wanted a Volus since the first one I saw in ME1.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Why no Salarian Sentinel

Whyyyy

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    TheSecretSeventh
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Y'know how people have complained (mainly on Live) about getting kicked after doing really well on a run? I've noticed sort of the opposite on Origin; whenever I do really well (like 125k+ to the rest of the team between 25k and 50k or so), it's becoming a pattern to have 2 people drop immediately.

Maybe it's just coincidence. Maybe the times it happened, I just ended up being on the final run of an epic twenty mission marathon for those guys... but whenever I find a solid team with people making me work just for 3rd place, man, I'm generally in on that for as long as I can ride the money train.

I don't mind ending up doing a lot of the heavy lifting. It helps balance out the times that I am just kinda soaking up credits, and as long as the other guys are playing smart (reviving each other, not taking stupid risks, completing objectives (doubly so when they're on maneuverable classes and I'm on one of my less mobile classes/builds), etc), I'd rather have a handful of team players onboard than a bunch of people suiciding into the guns of the enemies while I lob death around the map (I really do love my Grenadier built Demolisher).

Kind of an interesting thing for me...unless I sensed a really good group play going on, or saw other players going out of their way to try to keep the team going, I usually quit after a single round and find a new group. Not so much that I got upset with the last group, but just that often times the fun and the challenge for me is in supporting a group to finish collectively.

In the meantime, I can smell the greatness of this new content. And it smells wonderful.

Skexis on
    Turambar wrote: »
    Why no Salarian Sentinel

Whyyyy

Wishfull thoughts:

This just introduces a new era for MP: Rolling out the 12 remaining characters from retaliation is the way it's gonna be from now: We're gonna get new characters (weapons, or other content) on a regular basis. Would make sense since there's no new Salarian classes and Turians are heavily favored, while we only get one new Quarian, Drell, Krogan and Vorcha.

...but I somehow doubt it...there's no way MEMP makes enough money to warrant it.

steam_sig.png

• Ides of MarchIdes of March Registered User regular
    "I see references to things called "Blood Pack Spike Thrower", "Blood Pack Melee", and "Blood Pack Harpoon"" - Cyonan, the guy who digs around in the files for pictures

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/14353394
    On this link that was posted earlier, I also saw on the list of challenges something that said "Blood Pack Mastery" - if that's in the same vein as "Geth Mastery," "Reaper Mastery," "Collecter Mastery" and "Cerberus Mastery" does that mean we're going to get the Blood Pack as another faction in the future?

On this link that was posted earlier, I also saw on the list of challenges something that said "Blood Pack Mastery" - if that's in the same vein as "Geth Mastery," "Reaper Mastery," "Collecter Mastery" and "Cerberus Mastery" does that mean we're going to get the Blood Pack as another faction in the future?

I'd rather think it belongs to a group of challenges involving specific classes (in this case, all the Vorcha classes) like the N7 Mastery group of Challenges (Fury, Destroyer, Demolisher, Paladin, Shadow, Slayer)

steam_sig.png

I'd rather think it belongs to a group of challenges involving specific classes (in this case, all the Vorcha classes) like the N7 Mastery group of Challenges (Fury, Destroyer, Demolisher, Paladin, Shadow, Slayer)

Yeah but we don't have any playable Reaper characters...
    ...unless we're going to get playable Reaper characters, perhaps because of Leviathan?

...unless we're going to get playable Reaper characters, perhaps because of Leviathan?

Oh come on now.

Geth/Reaper/Cerberus/Collector mastery: Challenges involving fighting agains those factions
    Resurgence/Rebellion/Earth/Retaliation mastery: Challenges involving DLC content - maps, weapons, gear, classes
    Machine/Outsider/N7/Bloodpack/Commando mastery: Probably involves specific classes (Bloodpack = Vorcha, Krogan - Batarian?)
    Pistol/Shotgun/Assault Rifle/Sniper Rifle/SMG mastery: Challenges involving using those weapons

etc. etc.

steam_sig.png

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Why no Salarian Sentinel

Whyyyy

Wishfull thoughts:

This just introduces a new era for MP: Rolling out the 12 remaining characters from retaliation is the way it's gonna be from now: We're gonna get new characters (weapons, or other content) on a regular basis. Would make sense since there's no new Salarian classes and Turians are heavily favored, while we only get one new Quarian, Drell, Krogan and Vorcha.

...but I somehow doubt it...there's no way MEMP makes enough money to warrant it.

Not trying to be a dick but you did doubt we'd see a new patch and the rumours of the new dlc...

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well charge does have you slamming into people...

I'd say that counts as melee. With your face.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Cant believe we're getting a goddamn volus vanguard

Volus Vangod's nova ability has them bursting like a balloon

it'll be great

Oh come on now.

Geth/Reaper/Cerberus/Collector mastery: Challenges involving fighting agains those factions
    Resurgence/Rebellion/Earth/Retaliation mastery: Challenges involving DLC content - maps, weapons, gear, classes
    Machine/Outsider/N7/Bloodpack/Commando mastery: Probably involves specific classes (Bloodpack = Vorcha, Krogan - Batarian?)
    Pistol/Shotgun/Assault Rifle/Sniper Rifle/SMG mastery: Challenges involving using those weapons

etc. etc.

Well OK, I guess that makes sense. There had just been a lot of speculation of the mercs being another enemy faction.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Vorcha Engineer. Vorcha Engineer.

Edit: Remember the SMG designed explicitly because vorcha are stupid?

Remember, he's a Vorcha Engineer.

Their idea of an Engineer is probably anyone who knows their times table.

The vorcha engineer's powers are incinerate, flamethrower, and inferno grenades.

Vorcha who can make fire are a pretty big deal.

Phoenix138Antimatter
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I swear I go to BSN and people are actually complaining that we're getting Volus...something about lore and bursting like a ballon or something.

I wonder, do these same people complain that Quarians don't go into fever sweats and start seeing hallucinations whenever they get shot...

• ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular

I wonder, do these same people complain that Quarians don't go into fever sweats and start seeing hallucinations whenever they get shot...

This is how i mentally deal with any inconsistencies.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I swear I go to BSN and people are actually complaining that we're getting Volus...something about lore and bursting like a ballon or something.

Yes, yes they do. Google Quarian sweat.

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

Phoenix138
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    do these same people complain that you don't fucking bleed to death when bullets enter your body

PNk1Ml4.png
    Captain Carrot
    Well, honestly...most of the time I really just don't care personally.

Hell, if they gave us a rainbow unicorn vanguard who charged people with his horn and said that he was apart of a secret race of sentient unicorns called the Stallionians I'd be like "cool whatever"

Because it would bring me so much joy.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

To be fair, Vanguards didn't have Charge in ME1, so ALL Vanguards were more like shooty Adepts. He's still Combat/Biotic, and that's Vanguard.

True, but we never did see him Charge. I think Charge was tied to a fancy, new implant, though.

Edit: Look at that Batarian Adept. Look at him. Crossing his arms like he's some sort of badass. Badept.
    I bet his biotics are spiky and cruel.

PLA on
  • AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    ill be honest im still no entirely sure that the volus might not be a wee joke or something

i mean you take out the four volus classes and you have the dlc adding twelve new kits, two in each class, so i dunno

• VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    All of this is great and interesting, I'm excited about Volus and more Turians (who haven't gotten much love), and secretly excited about more Batarians.

I'm rather disappointed with no new Salarian kits. Salarian soldier at least, sentinel if there are no good ideas for that. I'll assume they're coming and just haven't been announced yet.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Salarian IT-Consultant.

Edit: I wonder if this is the final batch, or there's a chance for Lord High Researcher and Krogan Stalker yet.

PLA on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Hell, if they gave us a rainbow unicorn vanguard who charged people with his horn and said that he was apart of a secret race of sentient unicorns called the Stallionians I'd be like "cool whatever"

I'd take this bet. Though I'd want to see a larger sample size to get a good feeling of the response to rainbow unicorn vanguards.

Personally, I think the addition of volus is hilariously stupid, but given that Bioware dug themselves into the hilarious stupid hole pretty early on, I see no conflict.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I'm mostly curious about how the volus are going to work mechanically; they're much shorter (if wider) than all the other races and it's hard to picture them using cover the same way the rest of the two-meter bipeds do. I wonder if their model will just get jawboned into the existing mechanics, or if they'll have their own shit.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited October 2012
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'd take this bet. Though I'd want to see a larger sample size to get a good feeling of the response to rainbow unicorn vanguards.

Personally, I think the addition of volus is hilariously stupid, but given that Bioware dug themselves into the hilarious stupid hole pretty early on, I see no conflict.

Naw. I think its just more of a case of people wanting to bitch for the sake of bitching.

Dragkonias on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    also, do we have any sense of what/how many new powers we're going to get out of this patch? I was pleasantly surprised by how much actual new shit the N7 guys had.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • eahenryiieahenryii Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Achire wrote: »

This seems to happen every time I play with pugs. I don't know if everyone only has time for that one game or if they just really hate vanguards.

I suspect the thing with people getting kicked on Live after "doing really well" has more to do with how they do it. I know a lot of the folks on here who've played a while already know this, but in case anyone is new: scoring really high when you never help with a hack/escort/pizza run isn't "doing really well."

I saw this last night on repeated runs with one guy who was hosting. Since it seemed stupid to vote to kick the host, I just left after the third game. The guy's N7 was below 200, but he really did know how to play his class at bronze. Just couldn't be bothered on objectives, and not in the way that necessarily kept bads off the rest of the team.

Edit: to be clear, I'm really not suggesting that anyone in this thread is being a poor team player. It just seemed to bear repeating, since new folks seem to be just trying out this game still.

eahenryii on
    *Always does most of the objectives whenever he plays*

*Still gets kicked occasionally*

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Naw. I think its just more of a case of people wanting to bitch for the sake of bitching.

Some people honestly care about the lore. And with it being torn about for convenience, World of Warcraft style, I can see why people are upset. I mean, in this universe of hat-wearing species, can you find one less suited for warfare? Is there a species of little children with brittle bones?

On the other hand, yeah, people complain for the sake of complaining. If I actually gave a shit about the state of Mass Effect, and didn't derive so much enjoyment for finding obvious examples of bad writing and laughing at them, I might want to complain too.