As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] OLD THREAD BYE BYE

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I just don't consider ME3's multiplayer part of the canon.

Musicool
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    \*
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well, honestly...most of the time I really just don't care personally.

Hell, if they gave us a rainbow unicorn vanguard who charged people with his horn and said that he was apart of a secret race of sentient unicorns called the Stallionians I'd be like "cool whatever"

Because it would bring me so much joy.

I'd take this bet. Though I'd want to see a larger sample size to get a good feeling of the response to rainbow unicorn vanguards.

Personally, I think the addition of volus is hilariously stupid, but given that Bioware dug themselves into the hilarious stupid hole pretty early on, I see no conflict.

Naw. I think its just more of a case of people wanting to bitch for the sake of bitching.

Some people honestly care about the lore. And with it being torn about for convenience, World of Warcraft style, I can see why people are upset. I mean, in this universe of hat-wearing species, can you find one less suited for warfare? Is there a species of little children with brittle bones?

On the other hand, yeah, people complain for the sake of complaining. If I actually gave a shit about the state of Mass Effect, and didn't derive so much enjoyment for finding obvious examples of bad writing and laughing at them, I might want to complain too.

Meh. There are always gameplay/narrative plot disconnects when it comes to games.

I mean if I really wanted to be annoying I could probably find a number of things to complain about in terms of gameplay/story. But I don't because I have enough common sense to know that certain things are done for the sake of...god forbid...making a game fun.

As for the "tearing apart the lore". I would think people who think adding Volus to MP does this need to get over themselves.

Dragkonias on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    Last night I played as my Vorcha flamer rage guy. Topped the scorecard by nearly double (on silver) and did both pizza runs by myself due to everyone else standing around IN THE DROP OFF ZONE like they thought they were hacking.

Got kicked almost as soon as we went back into the waiting room. As I was trying to quit.

• LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really don't see how this breaks canon. Is it unlikely that a volus would participate in ground combat? Yes. That doesn't change the fact that it has been explicitly stated in the codex as an occasional occurrence.

• eahenryiieahenryii Registered User regular
    *Always does most of the objectives whenever he plays*

*Still gets kicked occasionally*

That is just hilarious. Maybe people don't...get it still? The faster the objective gets completed, the more money everyone gets, right? Or am I imagining that?

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    While I'm not somebody who cares too much about the out-of-game lore (especially as it pertains to multiplayer gameplay), I find it hard to see what the objection to the existence of volus fighters actually is. Like, do we assume the volus have literally never figured out a way to outfit members of their species for combat? In a universe with personal force fields and a variety of physics-bending dense/lightweight materials? In an apocalyptic war in which they face complete annihilation, they can't muster even a few combat-reinforced fatsuits to help out with special forces operations?

It just doesn't seem that unbelievable to me

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Theodore FlooseveltMusicool
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Orca wrote: »

Meh. Even in SP there are things that don't make sense.

Like why are Shepard and friends biotic superheroes when in the books it takes people like 30 seconds to even fire off a throw.

Because its badass that's why.

Dragkonias on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Yes for example I killed all the geth and yet sometimes my friends play geth and it is RUINING MY IMMERSION.

Also the third time I revived AgentDickBalls I started to feel like maybe that wasn't his real name and the entire sci-fi universe came crashing down on my head.

s7Imn5J.png
    Captain CarrotTheSecretSeventh
    While I'm not somebody who cares too much about the out-of-game lore (especially as it pertains to multiplayer gameplay), I find it hard to see what the objection to the existence of volus fighters actually is. Like, do we assume the volus have literally never figured out a way to outfit members of their species for combat? In a universe with personal force fields and a variety of physics-bending dense/lightweight materials? In an apocalyptic war in which they face complete annihilation, they can't muster even a few combat-reinforced fatsuits to help out with special forces operations?

Beyond being ungainly asthmatics, I thought they also had way fewer numbers than the other species, outside of maybe Hanar and Elcor. I suspect we won't be seeing MP options for those races, either.

The volus are the ewoks of the ME world. :D Grumpy ewoks.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I dunno

maybe it was when the Alliance started dropping teams of four onto the same dozen locations continuously for the last 6 months

goddamn they like throwing people down that meatgrinder

and what is with the Geth/Cerberus/Reapers anyway? They keep leaving and coming back

they should just make up their minds

Captain CarrotMusicool
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    man, there's a lot of stuff i handwave about the ME universe because SPACE MAGIC IS AWESOME

volus vanguards is something that stems DIRECTLY from the latter sentiment, and as such is a phenomenon that enjoys my FULL SUPPORT.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    CambiataVicktorchiasaur11Captain CarrotOlivawMild Confusion
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular

Like why are Shepard and friends biotic superheroes when in the books it takes people like 30 seconds to even fire off a throw.

Cause that's how long it took in the first game? Because the books are dumb?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    And where the hell is my Battlefield 3 Recon Marine class?

I'm tired of these goddamn sissy energy pistols.

edited October 2012

Cause that's how long it took in the first game? Because the books are dumb?

Well, even in the first game sure each power had longer cooldown but they were independent of each other.

And then you got a good amp and you could pretty much fire off all your powers nonstop.

Dragkonias on
    Yes for example I killed all the geth and yet sometimes my friends play geth and it is RUINING MY IMMERSION.

Also the third time I revived AgentDickBalls I started to feel like maybe that wasn't his real name and the entire sci-fi universe came crashing down on my head.

https://www.facebook.com/rballs?ref=ts&fref=ts

Seems legit.

Fair play, though, seriously. If I saw a volus charge, it's not like I'm gonna rage quit. I hope it's hilarious.

Oh brave Richard Balls, shine on you crazy diamond.

s7Imn5J.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

To be fair, they already contribute aerial ("space"?) bombers. The Boomers would approve, and that's good enough for me.

Fake edit: Oh, what happens if a volus is meleed from behind?

PLA wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »

To be fair, they already contribute aerial ("space"?) bombers. The Boomers would approve, and that's good enough for me.

Fake edit: Oh, what happens if a volus is meleed from behind?

That's not the problem.

We just know that Bioware isn't going to bother doing that much work to make any attempt to justify it. Remember that Volus who fell over when you pushed him? That's basically what we'll get. Especially without the falling over.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Elixir wrote: »
    I swear I go to BSN and people are actually complaining that we're getting Volus...something about lore and bursting like a ballon or something.

I wonder, do these same people complain that Quarians don't go into fever sweats and start seeing hallucinations whenever they get shot...

Yes, yes they do. Google Quarian sweat.

Can I just say, that it was your sig that made this post?

So, I think I noticed how they fixed the whole Vanguard charge thing. There seems to be a bit of delay now when you charge or use nova. Takes some time to get used to.

That being said, that could have just been that I haven't played Vanguard when not hosting in forever and that's the way its always been.

• Ides of MarchIdes of March Registered User regular
    I'm really curious to see what a Volus running will look like, and whether or not one can fire a Piranha without rolling backward like a shotgun-wielding beach ball.

Captain CarrotMusicool
    The Volus charge should just be like Sonic's spinball attack. You can hold down Y to charge it increasing its force and damage.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    So my Internet gets hooked back up just in time for new DLC. Truly good timing.

Most excited about the new Asari myself. Can't wait to see what they give an Asari Infiltrator and Sentinel.

I'm really curious to see what a Volus running will look like, and whether or not one can fire a Piranha without rolling backward like a shotgun-wielding beach ball.

Not an issue. Just like their ability to clear obstacles as tall as they are and about three times as tall as their legs. :)

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    if the Volus waddle, that animation will make up for the lack of speed. An Atlas shows up behind your teammate Volus, he's waddling as fast as he can to get out of the way, and then he gets blasted with a missile. Sure you have to revive them but it will be such the morale boost it evens out. Or they have biotic rascals, the fatty doo-doos of the galaxy.

They will also backflip over the walls.

• Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Well, honestly...most of the time I really just don't care personally.

Hell, if they gave us a rainbow unicorn vanguard who charged people with his horn and said that he was apart of a secret race of sentient unicorns called the Stallionians I'd be like "cool whatever"

Because it would bring me so much joy.

I'd take this bet. Though I'd want to see a larger sample size to get a good feeling of the response to rainbow unicorn vanguards.

Personally, I think the addition of volus is hilariously stupid, but given that Bioware dug themselves into the hilarious stupid hole pretty early on, I see no conflict.

Naw. I think its just more of a case of people wanting to bitch for the sake of bitching.

Some people honestly care about the lore. And with it being torn about for convenience, World of Warcraft style, I can see why people are upset. I mean, in this universe of hat-wearing species, can you find one less suited for warfare? Is there a species of little children with brittle bones?

Not yet there isn't.
    But in the low war asset Destroy ending there will be once Joker sets himself up as patriarch of whatever world the Normandy crash lands on.

The Volus soldier should have a Ironman-style power armor.

Kana
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i would have been more accepting of volus if they appeared to have some kind of heavy armor

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So apparently charge is now a melee attack when considering rage. Kroguard is so fun.

Agusalim wrote: »
    what the hell, kroguard rage works now?

bioware really DOES love us

not only does krogan rage work, but kills with charge count towards it

im pretty certain its a bug but as vanguard bugs go its something of an improvement over the previous one

According to the developers, kills via charge are intended to count toward the Rage count.

So, you know, great news for everyone who was struggling playing as a Kroguard.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    if nothing else it should make overdrive really easy to complete

charge doesn't get buffed by rage, right?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    Agusalim wrote: »
    what the hell, kroguard rage works now?

bioware really DOES love us

not only does krogan rage work, but kills with charge count towards it

im pretty certain its a bug but as vanguard bugs go its something of an improvement over the previous one

According to the developers, kills via charge are intended to count toward the Rage count.

So, you know, great news for everyone who was struggling playing as a Kroguard.

Kroguard buffs...about fucking time. I swear that class was really underperforming.

Also...Geth Drone working now is...very interesting.

Geth Prime is the king of stunlocks.

In their quest to make the geth as annoying as possible, the next update will render the Prime turret invisible and untargetable by powers.

s7Imn5J.png
    Captain Carrot
    And don't forget they haven't even added the new Geth enemy type yet.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    I don't see how combat Volus are any more unbelievable than an entire race of people that have to pump themselves full of antibiotics when their armor gets a hole in it from barbed wire.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Ides of MarchIdes of March Registered User regular
    Ugh, Geth... I used to love that they don't have sync kills, but last night me and a pretty good team had a ton of trouble on Condor/Geth/Gold. Maybe it was the map, but it seemed like Geth were everywhere in the late waves. Like, there would be 3 Hunters or 3 Pyros closing in at the same time. We wiped on wave 10. I'd be curious to try it again, but wow it seemed way tougher than it should have been.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Unfortunately instead of fixing firebase white, they've tried to make geth so hard that you can't farm them on the map they're easiest on.

Which means when you fight them on a map they're actually decent at, you're gonna be getting your colon aerated.

Bioware's done great at some of these class ideas that're fun as hell to play, but some of their balancing decisions just make me go, "Hey guys, you do remember that the point of game balance is to make it more fun, right?"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    In their quest to make the geth as annoying as possible, the next update will render the Prime turret invisible and untargetable by powers.

That doesn't happen to you already?

I'm not even entirely joking. Sometimes my game will glitch and my power effects won't be visable (I'll hurl a grenade and enemies will stagger but no emp explosion happens on my screen), Hunters don't cloak (they're not targetable easily and move funny, but I see them fine) and prime turrets are invisible (but I can shoot them just fine).

It's a mix of funny and annoying, but since my CC-spec'd Demolisher is more of an area denial class, it generally isn't a big deal.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!