As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't know how lucky you are, back in the NCR [Fallout thread]

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    motherfucking mothership zeta.

i'm downloading a mod just to fucking fix the last quest in the DLC

fortunately, after i finish this, i'm done with FO3

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I liked zeta. Or I would have. If it wasn't for the hundreds of bugs, several of which flat out break progression.

Edit: I've always thought that point lookout or whatever the name is has always been considered the best DLC for the sole reason that it has the least bugs of all of them.

Astale on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    point lookout also has the benefit of not being ungodly boring

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    point lookout was great

i liked mothership zeta in a Serious Sam 'lol aliens' kind of way

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    What kind of hero are you?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    What gamebreaking bugs are there in Zeta? Seriously, I played through it 3 times and never had a problem. I'm not trying to say I don't think there are any, I'm just curious what they are (because I'm casually going back through FO3 on the PC) to avoid them.

Well, I did have problems, but that was more "don't do this at the level cap; in fact don't do Zeta or Point at the level cap because the health on duders is idiotic" and less actual bugs.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

health on duders being idiotic just means i have more excuses to burn my 40+ mininukes in tightly enclosed corridors

as for the bug:
    something about the last quest likes to skip the objective to the end (kill the ship captain) and drags all the NPCs necessary for you to progress with it

RxI0N.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I'm going to replay Fallout 1. Which skills are the best in terms of getting the most story shit?

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Fuuuuuck.... I can't remember many besides Speech, but it's been years... Damn near 2 decades since I last played FO1.

newSig.jpg
    edited September 2012
    I think science was useful. Are melee weapons useful?

Edit: Oh right, intelligence.

Couscous on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Science-hero ethical dilemma. Kill-sat or powergrid? Shiny science, or science everywhere?

Kill-sat. Sure, you don't get the science book you would have gotten if you spread it to the enitre powergrid, but kill sat.

steam_sig.png
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Science-hero ethical dilemma. Kill-sat or powergrid? Shiny science, or science everywhere?

Kill-sat. Sure, you don't get the science book you would have gotten if you spread it to the enitre powergrid, but kill sat.

You make a compelling argument. The Freeside thugs could start learning by abacus, anyway. And the kill-sat can inspire them.
    The goal of a science-hero is to make everybody science, of course. Bring the torch of knowledge and plasma to the savages.

So there is apparently no way to run Fallout 1 in windowed mode. I have a feeling that this 1680*1050 monitor isn't going to work well with it.

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Mod question that I can't seem to find an answer to. The 4gb RAM tool in the OP requires launching FO:NV through its own executable. If I'm using FOMM to handle everything else, will it preserve mod activations and order if launching through a different exe?

welp, finally finished Mothership Zeta. that's it for FO3.

after BL2, maybe i'll have time for FO:NV

....maybe.

RxI0N.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Mod question that I can't seem to find an answer to. The 4gb RAM tool in the OP requires launching FO:NV through its own executable. If I'm using FOMM to handle everything else, will it preserve mod activations and order if launching through a different exe?
    Yep.

Man, I'm so glad I found that old world radio mod. Some of those old radio dramas are pretty cool, especially the sci-fi ones where we land/colonize Mars in the 90s.

newSig.jpg
    FO:NV is much better from a writing point of view. Well worth the time if you liked Fallout and Fallout 2.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    NV is also much better from a shooting point of view. Seriously, the shooting's good enough that you don't even need VATS.

BrocksMullet
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    NV is also much better from a shooting point of view. Seriously, the shooting's good enough that you don't even need VATS.
    Which, for me, ended up making it come back full circle and make the game worse. VATS was a significant part of FO3 and making it stand out from just a FPS where you pick up some shit. Obviously that's not all, but you get my point.

That you don't need VATS at all in NV took out something fun from the game, something that made it stand out. And so many perks and such still revolved around VATS, which you quite simply never needed. It's among the various problems I had with NV, granted, but yeah, I thought the actual gameplay was less enjoyable because of this.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

As a mediocre FPS player, I found VATS helpful in NV for the times when I had to end someone RIGHT...FUCKING...NOW.

I can basically handle long range sniping outside of it, and point blank range with the automatic shotgun, but aside from that? Gimme my VATS.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Which, for me, ended up making it come back full circle and make the game worse. VATS was a significant part of FO3 and making it stand out from just a FPS where you pick up some shit. Obviously that's not all, but you get my point.

That you don't need VATS at all in NV took out something fun from the game, something that made it stand out. And so many perks and such still revolved around VATS, which you quite simply never needed. It's among the various problems I had with NV, granted, but yeah, I thought the actual gameplay was less enjoyable because of this.
    Why not just unbind your iron sights button?

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Sniping actually did more damage in non-vats

steam_sig.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    VATS was pretty situational for me. Outside of headshotting a moving target, I mostly used it to spot for sniping targets; free-aiming or bust once bullets start flying. And this was before NV introduced Cazadors, who essentially go "Yeah, go ahead and pop VATS. We'll wait. Oh, you only got one of us that time? Ain't that a shame."

Edit: Strike that, it was also useful for disarming targets. Shooting out someone's minigun or rocket launcher defanged them handily if a kill wasn't guaranteed. Think grenades even pop if you hit them before they can be thrown, which I keep meaning to try.

Unrelated tangent: Fallout 4/whatever needs a moment where you're given so much surplus explosives you have to start using them constantly just to make room for loot. I don't think I ever ran out of frag mines in FO3 after clearing the Anchorage memorial bridge. In New Vegas there was a nice stretch after Primm where I started getting real grenades and was just chucking dynamite at ants to get rid of both.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    Grenades sell for a hell of a lot for their weight. Dynamite not as much, but even then it's a nice stackable item to collect and sell.

I only used them as actual weapons in an emergency.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular

you don't need VATS, but a VATS build is still really powerful

it's certainly a lot harder to take out several deathclaws with a knife without VATS

One thing I learned the hard way was that you can no longer chuck grenades at that raider 3 ft in front of you in VATS in NV and LIVE like you could in FO3.

Puts a damper on using explosives as an all-purpose tool.

newSig.jpg
    Being in VATS decreases the damage you take from your own explosives, but doesn't negate it. So, within the blast radius, not quite as bad. At your own feet? Yeah, you're done.

Well, depending on your perks. It might just tickle if you're further along.

Yeah, but FO3 almost negated entirely (I remember trying to force feed a super mutant that got close a few times). Still took damage but I never blew myself up after lobbing 5 grenades.

Also, if I saw one incoming, I'd try and go into VATS for the damage reduction while it blew up at my feet (again this was in 3. In NV, I've been shying away from explosions).

newSig.jpg
    Yeah, FO3 VATS was nuts in almost every way. Once you got grim reaper's sprint (which, unlike the NV one that gives back a small chunk of AP, gave it ALL back) you would kill dozens of supermutants using nothing but VATS.

It was fun, but I totally understand why they changed it so you could only use VATS in bursts. Hell, when I found out sniper rifles in FO3 were affected by the VATS accuracy range same as all the other guns (and thus useless at actual sniping distances), I think my response was "what? you mean I'd have to actually shoot this thing manually to use it?".

edited September 2012
    I forgot how much I hate the time limit in Fallout 1. It looks like I can convince the master to murder himself first and then go to Necropolis to do the shit there to avoid that.

It looks like the skill checks do rolls that the skill is then checked against so lots of reloading ahoy!

Couscous on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I forgot how much I hate the time limit in Fallout 1. It looks like I can convince the master to murder himself first and then go to Necropolis to do the shit there to avoid that.

It looks like the skill checks do rolls that the skill is then checked against so lots of reloading ahoy!

The most recent version only has a time limit to get the water chip, right? I think they took out the second time limit, so you're free to do whatever, the Master will wait for you.

steam_sig.png
    Lots of towns might get overrun first however, SC2 style.

It looks like there is a mod to remove that stuff.

Nocren wrote: »
    One thing I learned the hard way was that you can no longer chuck grenades at that raider 3 ft in front of you in VATS in NV and LIVE like you could in FO3.

Puts a damper on using explosives as an all-purpose tool.

I did that at punching range in FO3.
    Shell Bullet!

And I still use VATS in New Vegas. It doesn't make you functionally immortal anymore, but it doesn't need to.

edited September 2012
    So, finished OWB and did everything this time.

Also, I took Black Widow because, hey, girl's gotta protect herself. And I finally managed to use it in a certain conversation in The Forbidden Dome.

Totally. Worth. It.

Also, I'm level 20, walking around with a Stealth Suit 1.4 and Elija's LAER rifle fully modded and over 1000 optimal charge MFCs.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    Elija's LAER has one of the highest damage potentials for energy weapons, and is probably the best 'laser' type one. Problem is, if you have a bunch of things that increase weapon degradation (like the backround perk, and certain types of ammo) it breaks incredibly fast. Like sixty shots or something fast, from full repair.

It's the kind of weapon you carry around to use in a difficult fight, but not something to sling around all the time unless you want to be crippled trying to keep it repaired.

If you're into guns, on the other hand, and pick up the COS silenced sniper rifle from OWB, it's basically god in gun form. And if you completed DM with all the stuff for the chip machine, you can print the normally-uncommon ammo for it like crazy. And it doesn't break in a stiff wind. Plus all the crit bonuses and being silenced and yadda yadda. Gun is almost too good.

I often pick up one or two of the Black Widow versions. Unlike Terrifying Presence, they actually do something more than a handful of times per playthrough.

Bruce Isaac is clearly trying to craft something. He even has reading-glasses lying on the papers. Maybe a flamer or something. There's nothing sharp enough for a shishkebab.

• ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular

Def Kill-sat

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

Luckily, after completing OWB, all I need is a wrench and a hammer to make a repair kit.
    Plus I got spare LAERs lying around.

newSig.jpg