As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't know how lucky you are, back in the NCR [Fallout thread]

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Well, you wouldn't quite be yourself anymore if you took a bullet to head, would you?

Not to mention anything that happens in BIIIIIIIG MOUNTAIN!!!!!

newSig.jpg
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    What do your inventories look like for Honest Hearts?

Before entering, two guns with a modest amount of ammo for both, a handful of grenades, and plenty of stims.

During and after, the Thompson and as much ammo as I can find for it.

...I'm a fan.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Do you wear a suit? <3

Apparently, I can't edit comments right now.

I would like Fast Shot a lot more if it didn't reduce cap VATS-accuracy - from 95 % to 76 %, I think - on consoles.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I had to stop playing with teammates because they'd kill everything before I could get more than a shot or two off!

Yeah, I recognise that problem. I generally prefer choosing their upgrades that aren't damage-boosts, but some of those are unfortunately cool, like ED-E's blaster-gizmo. A shame about the stickers, though. Well, in any case, I like using the wait-command, which doesn't even remove companion-perks.

I really like the Boomers. What are your favourite factions/societies?

Damn, I should wait a while before posting.

Not edit: I haven't tried, but I imagine Veronica could be crowd-control with Elijah's Last Words and a fast melee-weapon a little stronger than her default Power Fist. I guess she won't equip a Cattle Prod, but it's worth a try. Katana or Figarro would be so spammy, though.

Best faction is the Kings.

'cuz I can see archeologists pulling up Beatles artifacts and conjecturing that we worshipped them.

Well, the Kings aren't precisely wrong about Elvis, not as such.

It took me until this instant to realise that I could drop Small Frame along with Skilled if I get the perks with high requirements before.

Still going to think hard about how to handle/accept Fast Shot if I can't fit accuracy-perks into a build. I'm thinking I could accept it better if I pump the character full of caffeine, plasma and gunpowder. Hmm, yeah, and Pew Pew, and duct tape. I think I'm onto something.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

'cuz I can see archeologists pulling up Beatles artifacts and conjecturing that we worshipped them.

An outsider would be needed to settle a dispute between orthodox worshippers and the heretics who suggest there was, at some point, a fifth Beatle.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Agreed.

I mean, I hate Tribals in Fallout more than the next guy, but I'd love them if they were like the Kings. Not just ooga booga noble savages, but people who'd built a whole culture out of odd detritus from the old world.

I mean, which is more likely if you're digging through the detritus of a retro-50s America? Spirit worship, or a cult of Walt Disney?

(It's more interesting, too. We get spirit worship in every fantasy setting ever. Ritual wearing of name badges and enforced smiling by a cult in cruddy mouse costumes? Less so.)

edited September 2012
    The highlight of the Great Khans is
    Pretty Pretty Horsies: A History of the Mongol Empire.
    I like the Chairmen, but that's probably only because they're easy on the ears. Though they do try to pull off the Thompson + hat + suit thing with the bodyguards, too.

Were there any quests involving Powder Gangers and Boomers? Seems like an elephant in the room.

Edit: Yes, I can edit again!

PLA on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I like the Chairmen, but that's probably only because they're easy on the ears. Though they do try to pull off the Thompson + hat + suit thing with the bodyguards, too.

Were there any quests involving Powder Gangers and Boomers? Seems like an elephant in the room.

You mean both of them together?

Not that I can think of. They don't have much in common, anyway. I mean, yes. The Powder Gangers like explosives.

But the Boomers would laugh at someone using regular TNT for anything. They're above such savagery!

If you mean just regular quests involving Powder Gangers, just leave Goodsprings before the tutorial ends. You can walk to the NCRCF and get quests from their leader.

newSig.jpg
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

You mean both of them together?

Not that I can think of. They don't have much in common, anyway. I mean, yes. The Powder Gangers like explosives.

But the Boomers would laugh at someone using regular TNT for anything. They're above such savagery!

Yeah, both together. Boomers exploding the crap out of Powder Gangers, keeping them as pets; that kind of thing.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I don't see why the Boomers would care about the Powder Gangers. The Powder Gangers are far away from the Boomers and wouldn't be much of a threat even if they were close by.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I don't see why the Boomers would care about the Powder Gangers. The Powder Gangers are far away from the Boomers and wouldn't be much of a threat even if they were close by.
    They're using inferior explosives, and must be shown the errors of their ways.

THROUGH MISSILES

M A G I K A Z A M
    I know you're joking, but the Boomers are so incredibly insular that it's tough to think of any good reason for them to leave their little explosives-laden hideaway.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Carpet bombings.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Their greatest ambition is literally to roam the skies, bombing the shit out of inferior peoples. They made a mural about it.

I wonder what plot-progression would look like if you picked all of the "I go where I please! <Attack>" responses to introductions.

Well... Consider only two NPCs are invincible (and one is by virtue of being in an indestructible shack), it's gonna be pretty lonely.

Give that there's an NPC model for Ron Pearlman's voice, I wonder if there's an "Everyone's Dead" ending?

newSig.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Probably forced to go with Yes Man. Yes Man can respawn, right?

Edit: A flaw in my plan. The Legion took my alcohol! Nooo! Why must I be smart and eloquent?

PLA on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    if you have logan's loophole and chemist, you can probably just drink before you go in

edited September 2012
    Maybe, but I spent so long walking around and looting rare junk. Healing Powder and coins. Only managed one spear. And punching dogs. And tipping brahmin.

Turbo and GRX also work, btw. They even slow down their own duration. And timelimits on quests. Like the IT-support in the Brotherhood-bunker.
    With Chemist, Daytripper and, if you're using real Turbo, Fast Times, I don't recommend taking more than a few doses at a time. It lasts so long.

Edit: If you keep bringing up letting Benny escape, he starts complaining about being jerked around.

Finally have all the moves, so once I get ED-E back and sort some stuff out, I can do a DLC and then make another character or two. /Never takes anything off the backlog.

I like that conversation with Benny, and how many options there are. Like going out in a blaze of glory against the guards.
    You know, I've got to say that when Benny tries to reach the bunker alone, he acts a lot like a protagonist.

PLA on
    edited September 2012
    The first annual Fallout tour of the Western US has concluded.

There is a Red Rock city, as well as a Red Rock Lane. The latter has motherfucking red rocks. I should find out if there's an associated canyon and visit it sometime...

They also nailed the Mojave cold. Plants, trees, mountains, even down to the damn rocks.

Well, they did miss out on the burned out areas. :D

I gotta say, I'm impressed.

The outskirts of Klamath Falls is kind of a shithole, btw.

Orca on
    Seeing a dust storm in a dry lakebed was pretty damn cool.

And if I go through Hidden Valley another time, I'll have to see if there's a canyon that's fenced off with bunkers in it... :)

The first annual Fallout tour of the Western US has concluded.

There is a Red Rock city, as well as a Red Rock Lane. The latter has motherfucking red rocks. I should find out if there's an associated canyon and visit it sometime...

They also nailed the Mojave cold. Plants, trees, mountains, even down to the damn rocks.

Well, they did miss out on the burned out areas. :D

I gotta say, I'm impressed.

The outskirts of Klamath Falls is kind of a shithole, btw.

Don't think I remember Red Rock in the Fallout series but there is a canyon. It's a semi-natural amphitheater that hosts some concerts currently.

Did you manage to hit up Goodsprings? I've heard they really nailed down some of the details of it.

newSig.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Red Rock is where the Great Khans hang out. As for Goodsprings, I've never been there, but this flickr account by a silly goose who takes pictures of the TV set has some comparisons and it does look like they nailed some things:

7225622066_bdd3af2246.jpg
    7225622094_a8421d1cb6.jpg

7225622194_3be45d4b4c.jpg
    7225622170_fc29228722.jpg

7225622396_2fa78f4304.jpg
    7225622310_629d8bfce2.jpg

7225622494_4242f17644.jpg
    7225622456_c64020964c.jpg

edit: in real life, the Nipton general store sells food just as shitty as what you find in Fallout: New Vegas!

TychoCelchuuu on
    Hey now... Don't be dissing' my meals of Cram and Fancy Lads with a bottle of wine for dessert.

Also, wow. Not quite the Crysis level comparison, but pretty damn good considering.

newSig.jpg
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah I love comparison shots and stuff from FO3 and NV.

Every time I drive through the area where NV takes place, it's always at night, passing through on my way to phoenix, so I can never take time to just check out some of the sights.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I wish I could find some of the maps I had... I moved to Northern California roughly the time FO2 was released and started comparing maps of the game vs world (it wasn't quite a 100% match).

newSig.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Red Rock Canyon is pretty darn famous.

Heh, never mind how situational Atomic! is. If you want to melee things you should consider sticking it on there.
    I went N7 Shadow on the Securitron-bunker's Protectrons and turrets last night, equipped with Advanced Radiation Suit and upgraded Katana ammo-glitched with Pulse Slugs.

PLA on
    Is your katana fully upgraded? After I acquired one (thanks to my mod, the Legion assassination squads sometimes carry them), I managed to find the sheath but not the blade or grip upgrades. Do you remember who sells them? I've notice GRA items tend to be in fixed locations.

newSig.jpg
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Is there anything useful inside the Gun Runners place outside Vegas? It just occurred to me that I never ransacked their place. I know you can't get inside the booth with the bot.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Nocren wrote: »
    Is your katana fully upgraded? After I acquired one (thanks to my mod, the Legion assassination squads sometimes carry them), I managed to find the sheath but not the blade or grip upgrades. Do you remember who sells them? I've notice GRA items tend to be in fixed locations.
    the guy in novac sells the blade and grip

if you've got the sheath already, you're good, that's the real bitch to find

Elendil wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    the guy in novac sells the blade and grip

if you've got the sheath already, you're good, that's the real bitch to find

The nice thing about the sheath is that it actually adds a sheath! As in it's on your hip and you draw from it! Improperly (blade down like a saber), but I'll let it slide since no one in the wastes knows proper katana handling etiquette.

newSig.jpg
    Red Rock is where the Great Khans hang out. As for Goodsprings, I've never been there, but this flickr account by a silly goose who takes pictures of the TV set has some comparisons and it does look like they nailed some things:

edit: in real life, the Nipton general store sells food just as shitty as what you find in Fallout: New Vegas!

Those Goodsprings photos are amazing.

I didn't make it through Nipton or Goodsprings (I basically decided to take the long way down from Seattle, and didn't budget time for going off on a tangent for a few hours).

I passed by the turnoff to the Sierra Army Depot and was sorely tempted to drive down that way, except I was running low on gas and didn't know if there were any gas stations in that direction...(having no cell service and having to live like it's 1999 is kind of lame).

I wonder if the army has a bank of gattling-gun sentry bots out there to deter sightseers.

edited September 2012
    I have two upgrades. Grip and sheath. Not blade. Places/people that sell them include Mick & Ralph, for some reason the Van Graffs, Chet of Goodsprings and Vendortron of Gun Runners.
    Even without the real blade, the attack-speed and the damage-modifier of Unlabored Flawlessness don't take long to kill things. Edit: Well, also Melee-build. Should be noted.
    Even if I replace it with Gehenna eventually, it does extra limb-damage, so I'll likely keep it around unless I want to stick with Unarmed for that. Also better stats for sneak-crits. But the toys are always greener on the other side and all that jazz.

Oh, if your sheath starts being weird, it can usually be fixed by pressing the hotkey for a different weapon a couple of times in a row.

Edit: Heh. ED-E has a sad animation.

PLA on
    Mick and Ralph sell katanas, but not katana mods. They actually don't sell mods period.