As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't know how lucky you are, back in the NCR [Fallout thread]

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Going to miss the NCR when we move on to Fallout 4. Thought they were really interesting to see develop and affect the world around them in FO2 and New Vegas.

They still seem like the right choice for the mojave to me. The only downside I can see to them is that the NCR set up their government and politics alot like the old ones which kind of lead to the wasteland in the first place. In that way I can see why some people who wanted something more innovative and more revolutionary like the Followers aren't big fans.

Most of the anti-NCR sentiment in New Vegas comes off as abit whiny though. Like a bunch of children who want independence from parents they would die without just so they can do whatever they want.

With all the fiends, drug dealers and monsters they have running amuck, doesn't really seem like paying taxes and following laws is the greater evil.

They were carving out an existence on their own then the NCR rolls up and claims they are in charge. They then lead the Mojave to be in a pretty constant state of war and do a pretty terrible job of controlling the bandits. You could probably argue that the NCR's existence would have stirred the existing raider clans up even more.

My ass.

Want to know who was keeping everyone breathing out in the Mojave?

The Desert Rangers.

Know who was on their last legs?

The Desert Rangers.

Know who had the sense to realize joining with the NCR was the least of the local evils?

Yup. Same guys.

Caesar was coming that way NCR or no. And his shitstain legion would have rolled through the place like a flood. Only thing keeping the waters back is the NCR at the dam.

They're undermanned and under supplied, sure. They can be assholes, no doubt. But when the curtain rises they're the only reason Vegas isn't being raped and/or pillaged.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I thought the BoS vs NCR thing already weakened the local area way before the legion was anywhere near there

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I thought the BoS vs NCR thing already weakened the local area way before the legion was anywhere near there

Nope.

Conflict with the Mojave branch of the BoS began a good 4 years after the Ranger Unification Treaty. Caesar only reached the Mojave proper in 2275, but his forces were threatening its defense for years prior.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I am kinda sad how the old school BoS are pretty much extinct now. I hope the tactics chapter is still alive, to moderate the goody-goodies in FO3
    Yeah, seems like a pretty harsh evolve or die scenario for them.

The Wasteland is growing up and it's pretty much big and smart enough to kick their ass now.

I believe Veronica mentioned it. They could always just scare the plebs into submission with their superior training and equipment, but now everybody is shooting back because they have recovered from the Great War and now have better weapons than sticks, and the Brotherhood are losing members but refusing to recruit.
    The Brotherhood even wasted their technological headstart by the rabbit vs turtle method.
    There's probably a comparison with the Enclave somewhere here about growth.

I think the Followers might just be the best bet, but even though they also whine about taxes,
    the ending-slides show that they just don't get anything actually done without the NCR backing them up.

The NCR is way too bloated in sheer area, though. They don't have the resources to expand more.

PLA on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Is this a bug?
    I decided this playthrough to support House and after I went to the Hill for the second set of upgrades, everyone on the strip & Freeside seems to do their shout-outs (passing by voice clips) in a drunken slur.

I was at the Atomic Wrangler when I first heard it from a guard, then Mick AND Ralph, then a few tourists on the strip.
    All of them used a drunken slur when talking about current events or when I talked to them (except M&R, they sobered up quickly for potential customers I guess).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Oops, might be my bad. I took so~ many drugs to kill a bear.

Also a cocktail of C-4 and Plasma Mines.

I needed to clear some inventory-space, OK?

• Options
    I did the Evac option this time (did kill'em all last time) and was overloaded with plants for the Sink. I walked that entire ending. Joshua wouldn't be a gentleman and carry a few things for a lady.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Honest Hearts has some pretty complicated/grey outcomes.
    I generally lean towards Kill 'Em All as optimal for most parties. it reduces Raider-activity the most. Potentially makes Graham feel better about himself. Encourages trade, and kinda-secures more living-space for mere mortals.

Dat Desert Ranger Armor. Looking forward to lugging it through the end. Damn you, Josh.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    You gets a better version of it in LR (called riot armor. It's not even special!). Helmet has built-in night vision.

And after doing both endings PLA, I agree with you.

Also, one of those SA recommended mods finally fixed the Valience halos from OWB causing all your hair to fall out.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I'm not even going to use it. No real reason to bring it with me. Helmet is weightless, at least. On that note, just got myself a Gecko-backed Leather Armor. I like that one. Don't like Reinforced as much. I didn't find any Green Gecko Skin on dead animals. But I found four of them in the Sorrows' gravesite.

I'm going for the Devourer of Nations challenge now, just for fun. I tomahawk whatever tries to run from my Rebar Club. Yes, Rebar Club. Going for the second rank of Melee Hacker with that. And it makes a little sense to work out with that thing.

Edit: Tomahawks are so fun. Heads and limbs aflight. Three headless Yao Guai; one VATS.

Edit: As I scout a White Leg camp with binoculars from up high, I receive a notification. "ARCHIMEDES II Charge added."
    Hmm, what could it mean?

Edit: After not working a few times, it fired twice, leaving blue sparkles in the air and burning bits of White Legs on the ground. The second time, my aiming arm reeling from gunfire, was so close I could have reached out and touched the pillar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDmTmoETw8k

PLA on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Going to miss the NCR when we move on to Fallout 4. Thought they were really interesting to see develop and affect the world around them in FO2 and New Vegas.

They still seem like the right choice for the mojave to me. The only downside I can see to them is that the NCR set up their government and politics alot like the old ones which kind of lead to the wasteland in the first place. In that way I can see why some people who wanted something more innovative and more revolutionary like the Followers aren't big fans.

Most of the anti-NCR sentiment in New Vegas comes off as abit whiny though. Like a bunch of children who want independence from parents they would die without just so they can do whatever they want.

With all the fiends, drug dealers and monsters they have running amuck, doesn't really seem like paying taxes and following laws is the greater evil.

The NCR is great because it's basically your legacy across your different characters if you play a "good" character. You see it grow from a literal town of dirt into the best chance the West coast has to recover to the pre-war days. Yes, NCR has its problems, but I don't believe it's as bad for the majority of the wasteland as Vegas/Avellone implies. I don't believe it's doomed to fail, and the ordinary people within it at least have laws, safety and don't have to scrounge to survive.
    I am kinda sad how the old school BoS are pretty much extinct now. I hope the tactics chapter is still alive, to moderate the goody-goodies in FO3

Their isolationist hording in Fallout 2 pretty much sealed their fate. They got prideful and lazy in their role of technological saviors for the elite and the Enclave made them pay for it. And again, they didn't learn from even that mistake.

Basically, the East coast Brotherhood was right to abandon them. They had become an enclave of useless people cut off from reality. And for all the 'traitor' labels the East Brotherhood gets, they're the only ones who get stuff done. They repair Liberty Prime, they fight the Enclave, (and Prime is ultimately just crippled, not destroyed) the Outcasts just sulk around collecting scraps and generally being useless. They can't even open a damn weapons vault without some stranger with a Pip Boy.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    And getting their hands on weapons is supposed to be their specialty.

Whatever can be said for the Burned Man, I think the Survivalist is one of New Vegas' best characters.

Zion is freaking beautiful at night.
    And there's random loot underwater.

PLA on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Just started Boulder Dome after holding off on it for forever. Loved Dog City Denver.

The bit with the old soldiers was actually pretty funny. I laughed more at Eli's racism and the stereotypical accents in the chinese camp probably more than I should have.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I wonder how much the Survivalist told
    the Sorrows with notes. They and Daniel know about a woman and a child, but Sorrows are afraid of the caves, which are still locked and boobytrapped.

Speaking of which, and the ending,
    fighting back was one of the things we know he told them, and if Dancing Flame by the burial-site is anything to go by, the Sorrows are already not as meek as Daniel believes.

Whoa, I just found a big painting with those white grabby hands and "22 22 22 22 22 22 22".

Edit: Since the last quest, I can't get Sacred Datura Poison to wear off, and Datura Antivenom doesn't seem to help.

PLA on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not even going to use it. No real reason to bring it with me. Helmet is weightless, at least. On that note, just got myself a Gecko-backed Leather Armor. I like that one. Don't like Reinforced as much. I didn't find any Green Gecko Skin on dead animals. But I found four of them in the Sorrows' gravesite.

I'm going for the Devourer of Nations challenge now, just for fun. I tomahawk whatever tries to run from my Rebar Club. Yes, Rebar Club. Going for the second rank of Melee Hacker with that. And it makes a little sense to work out with that thing.

Edit: Tomahawks are so fun. Heads and limbs aflight. Three headless Yao Guai; one VATS.

Edit: As I scout a White Leg camp with binoculars from up high, I receive a notification. "ARCHIMEDES II Charge added."
    Hmm, what could it mean?

Edit: After not working a few times, it fired twice, leaving blue sparkles in the air and burning bits of White Legs on the ground. The second time, my aiming arm reeling from gunfire, was so close I could have reached out and touched the pillar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDmTmoETw8k

Veronica says it best:

"Well, I guess it works."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be doing Boulder dome myself once I get to the recommended level, which I'll probably be at as soon as I finish OWB, actually.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Boulder Dome?

Is that a mod?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Boulder Dome?

Is that a mod?
    It is, yes. I've seen it described before as basically an "Unnoficial 5th DLC" It's got alot of stuff. New worldspace, new quests, weapons, items. Voice acting, ETC. I've heard it's really good, but we'll see when I actually get to it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Boulder Dome?

Is that a mod?
    Yes, like the mod author's previous mod Dog City Denver, it's trying to bring some of the characters and place from Van Buren (the cancelled Fallout game that would have been the third Fallout at the time) back to life that weren't revived for New Vegas. Caesar's Legion and Joshua Graham were originally Van Buren concepts for example.

DLC style intro (and I assume ending), completely new enemies like mutated cannibals and even cats, etc.

Seems to be pretty damn big.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Mutated cannibals?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    PLA wrote: »
    Mutated cannibals?
    Yes. Apparently they like eating fingers. Good snack when you're on the go.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Mutant_cannibal

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Oops. Wrong thread.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    Oh, Van Buren.

• Options
    Yeah. It's got all that so far. And it hasn't been that bad. Little buggy, and the maps leave something to be desired, but that's something one would expect from a fan mod of this size and scope.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    It's been good so far, a definite improvement over their last mod but I didn't like arriving to inner boulder and finding half of the doors to buildings just said [INACCESSIBLE] and completely blocked off. That was kind of a bummer.

The story and characters have been entertaining so far, surprising amount of diversity in the voice actors and most of them aren't bad. The mod description sets up the brotherhood up as the good guys and the NCR as the enemy but thankfully it seems like the truth is turning out to be atleast a lil more gray than that.
    What the Brotherhood Elder in charge here really wants is to gain control of the dome, it's tech and getting the scientists to serve the BOS which makes more sense.

Random confusing screenshot from the mod:
    TMhS6.jpg

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Jesus, are you not using DarnUI? How can you stand it?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I played the Xbox 360 version for too long. Developed stockholm syndrome towards the basic set up

The pain feels comfortable at this point.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Just finished it myself. It was...really let down by how buggy it was, and how bad the maps are.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    So I caved in and bought Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road.
    Any suggestions on when to play them, both level-wise and in regards to the main story?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Honest Hearts first, Lonesome Road last.

There's big connections between Dead Money and Old World Blues, but you can play them in whatever order. Leveling-wise Old World Blues before Dead Money (IIRC).

C2B on
  • Options
    HH is good for whenever storywise as it mainly fills in Ceaser's background bits. But you do get some sweet .45s (1911 AND Thompson)
    Plus Joshua is a really awesome character. Level doesn't really matter much.

OWB is recommended early for level scaling. At higher levels, the enemies have so much HP you'll be wasting ammo. I did it at level 8 with hardly any problems, but that was with Energy Weapons (which you get some really powerful ones while there).

Both of these can really be done at any time.

LR should be done last for story purposes and because of a piece of armor you get upon completion. The Courier's Duster you get has different properties and a different emblem on the back depending on which faction you support. For example, I supported NCR (even though I'm going to ultimately side with House this time) and I got the NCR's flag on my back plus an additional weight limit while wearing it.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    There's actually some shenanigans about which duster you get. It's based on reputations and some other bits and pieces, so there's not a point when you can just check the "NCR"-box on a questionnaire. It's possible to get one you don't want. As an example, the main House-stat is Strip-fame, even though that mostly involves people who have little to do with House other than being nearby. The Three Families, I guess. Also, you get one duster with the same logo as House's no matter what.

Honest Hearts contains some Great War/early Wasteland lore, as opposed to straight pre-war, so that's nice.

Edit: I like that the duster-symbols or effects have separate names. Fighting Chance, The Great Bear, Old World Justice and Blackjack.

Of course, depending on your choices made in Lonesome Road itself, other armours may become available to you. One even regenerates 2 HP per second, which is a lot, even if you already have a few regenerating effects. It's like another Rad Child on top of the real Rad Child.

Edit: My stupid companions are always LEEROOOOY Jeeenkins no matter how I set their tactics and how much I sneak.

Also, what the shit? I can kill mantis-nymphs by stepping on them? Did not know that.

PLA on
  • Options
    Though, there is a mod to fix that problem with getting the House duster. If I recall, one of the main checks this mod will look for is
    Did you murder the hell out of House

which for some reason is NOT used as a check without the mod. If the answer is yes, then unless you heavily side with either the legion or the NCR, you're gonna get blackjack. Which is fine with me, because Blackjack is my favorite.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I finally started my playthrough again. Never did get to beating this game before. I'm really getting into it right now. Installed a few mods, not too many though.

I'm up to New Vegas and I recruited Arcade and I can confront Benny in his casino, but I took a small detour to do Honest Hearts. I'm liking it so far, I got a feeling I'm gonna gonna learn some things about Joshua and Daniel I'm not gonna like, this Cave father sounds suspeciously like a Vault administrator too.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Dood. Dood. Check for a challenge called Survivalist's Bounty. You would want to complete that challenge while you're there. Look for notes/terminals wherever it takes you, though one of the places has none.

Interesting loots in Zion include War Clubs that can move you faster than regular running with power-attacks, and a unique stun-gun with a paralysing crit-effect similar to Paralyzing Palm.

I'm not entirely sure of how getting the Blackjack works.

Edit: Synchronised Displacer-punches. Thank you for your assistance, Veronica.
    Silent Running and Turbo/Implant GRX are amazing together, btw. That's some straight up ninja-bullshit, right there.

Wow, Cowboy covers more weapons than I thought. Really, War Club? Tempted to get it for melee, now. Could build a character around something like this, though. Grunt is good, but a little less interesting.

PLA on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Seconding the Survivalist.

Awesome story, awesome gun.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    After Honest Hearts, I was set for the game, gearwise.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    I was set after OWB to be honest. Course there was those godly energy weapons. And a fully upgrading sneaky stealth suit.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the way to get the Blackjack duster is basically to have no or negative reputation with the strip, NCR, and Legion

you can knock out the NCR and Legion fame really easy by wearing faction armor, so it's the strip fame that gets you

on the character who i wanted to have the Blackjack, I just shot up the Omertas

walking around with a drawn gun in a casino will lower rep, too

• Options
    edited October 2012
    But it's still kinda annoying to have you suddenly siding with house even though you're NOT, and it's clear you're not. The mod really does help.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M