As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't know how lucky you are, back in the NCR [Fallout thread]

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    It's incredibly funny in the first Fallout where you can troll the Brotherhood guards with comments just like that. They're all, "What? NO!"

Original Brotherhood was curt and dangerous, but not dickish. They did productive things like fighting raiders even before the Master's army showed up.

Actually they only bothered people who had tech they wanted. Otherwise they scrounged any areas that had salvageable tech to take it away and keep it for themselves (and out of the hands of some yahoo with a happy trigger-finger). In fact, if you talk to Elder Maxson, he says the brotherhood can hardly decide on anything worth doing; saying the only thing the other elders can agree on is "that there's 4 of them". You have to actually *convince* the other elders that the master is a threat and that the brotherhood is needed to help kill the mutant threat.

Then there's the fact that when you ask to join, they basically sent you on a suicide mission that they were pretty convinced you had no chance of surviving; only later finding out that the mission, while something they needed done, was a 'joke' to them to get random people who wanted to join their numbers out of their face.

The Brotherhood is basically a bunch of xenophobic dicks.

All of that is true, but it's not quite as bad as it seems. The Brotherhood DOES tell you the Glow is isolated, radiated and dangerous. It's only the player snarky dialogue which implies its a suicide mission. They aren't convinced about the Super Mutant threat, but is that so surprising? All they know is that caravans have been disappearing, the invasion hadn't begun yet and the Master was keeping a low profile. The act as soon as you give them a convincing reason to, and they would have committed the entire order if it weren't for the Vault Dweller telling them to only send a small, elite unit. You don't have to do ten fetch quests and have them strap a bomb to your head, they help you as soon as they realize the scope of the mutant threat. Unlike the Vegas Brotherhood which doesn't even TRY to understand the threat the Legion poses. They simply assume they're primitive barbarians, and promptly get slaughtered by the Legion in every ending where they win.

They also didn't just horde knowledge, they redesigned and USED the knowledge they had to try to make new things.

Vegas Brotherhood are the Tech Priests of Warhammer 40k, Old Brotherhood was a survivor community of military veterans who actually knew what they were doing... mostly. It's only after Fallout 1 they go into decline, and even then they still attack Navarro after the events of Fallout 2.
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    It's been awhile, what's a "stupid playthrough?"

In fallout 1 and 2, setting your intelligence to a substatially low level (I think 4 or less) would unlock a completely different game. Dialog and talking heads would be different, skill challenges in the world would be different, entire cutscenes would be different (might be wrong about that).

Basically, if you played a stupid character, you'd have a very different fallout game than the first one you played.

at least five people started googling this as they read my post and a number of you are reinstalling it right now.

Being, well, stupid does lock you out of a lot of content. However, there's a simple way to get the best of both worlds. Take an intelligence of 4 and then use Mentats whenever someone tells you you're too dumb for a certain job. It's tragically hilarious.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Only problem I had with drugs in Fallout 1/2 is that it seemed like I got addicted every other time I used a drug. This didn't help when I at times had to take 2 of the same drug in order to pass a skill check, then I get addicted and that's when I quick load out of frustration.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Addictions don't really impair you that much, just foot travel to another part of the map. Odds are your addiction will be cured by the time you get there.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    You got addicted to mentats because for the first time in your life you have the cognitive ability to understand how horrible your life before them was and you don't want to go back to confusing potato chips for water chips.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Speaking of horrible crippling addiction: Christ, if they're still just in the idea phase for Fallout 4, I pray to god they got another spin off game lined up already.

Whatever the hell that casting call was for (if it was anything at all), hopefully we hear about it soon.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Only problem I had with drugs in Fallout 1/2 is that it seemed like I got addicted every other time I used a drug. This didn't help when I at times had to take 2 of the same drug in order to pass a skill check, then I get addicted and that's when I quick load out of frustration.

drugs are bad.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Drugs are GREAT in Fallout. It's a really poor lesson to teach but there it is. :P Psycho especially.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

drugs are bad.

Mmmmmk?

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I love playing a drugged-up psycho in pretty much all the Fallout games. Addiction can be a bitch sometimes, but it's generally curable, and the benefits drugs provide are great for slaughtering large numbers of... well, anything.

• Options
    addiction only matters if you run out.

And you should never run out, because you love dem drugs.

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    I love playing a drugged-up psycho in pretty much all the Fallout games. Addiction can be a bitch sometimes, but it's generally curable, and the benefits drugs provide are great for slaughtering large numbers of... well, anything.

Coming across a large pack of Deathclaws and going "Guess I better take ALL OF MY MANY, MANY DRUGS AND SLASH AROUND WITH MY AXE WHILE I'M TRIPPING BALLS" is a glorious thing.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    addiction only matters if you run out.

And you should never run out, because you love dem drugs.

This is 100% true, even as a shining Paladin hero, you should always take your drugs. Because why wouldn't you?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I think there was more Med-X flowing through my last character's veins than blood.

"These damn junkie fiends, time to clean up the neighborhood but first.....awww yeaaahh. Thats the stuff."

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

Coming across a large pack of Deathclaws and going "Guess I better take ALL OF MY MANY, MANY DRUGS AND SLASH AROUND WITH MY AXE WHILE I'M TRIPPING BALLS" is a glorious thing.

It's extra hilarious in Fallout 1 & 2 where, barring a critical hit, your leather armor wearing Vault Dweller can wade into super mutant minigun and flamethrower fire. :)

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Drug addict? Sound like my pure Jedi in KotoR, so many track marks in the final battle.

• Options

It's extra hilarious in Fallout 1 & 2 where, barring a critical hit, your leather armor wearing Vault Dweller can wade into super mutant minigun and flamethrower fire. :)
    Got this image in my head of him quickly walking towards the mutants with his red bloodshot eyes wide open while non stop firing a shotgun and screaming.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Got this image in my head of him quickly walking towards the mutants with his red bloodshot eyes wide open while non stop firing a shotgun and screaming.

I picture manic laughter interspersed with hysterical crying as super mutants fall to a sledge hammer that seemingly weaves between each bullet and searing gout of flame.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    With bonus move AP, high agility and critical chance, you do pretty much exactly that! :P

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Drugs are great for passing ability checks, both low and high. If you want to get the stupid options, you can go into Mentat withdrawal to lower your intelligence.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Drugs are why I love Logan's Loophole.

Logan's Loophole is just great.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Yeah but you are losing out on a lot of perks by being locked to level 30.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Yeah but you are losing out on a lot of perks by being locked to level 30.

Also a lot of bullshit level scaling.

It's win win.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i like the 30 cap but logan's loophole is overpowered and uses up a trait

not a big fan of the execution

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Speaking of addictions. Caravan should have been Tragic the Garning and should have been highly addictive. A card collection game in my Fallout would have been nice.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Funniest part about Caravan was discovering that one tactic that was a guaranteed win every time.

Can't remember what it was but it was like a giant hole in the strategy of the game to exploit.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Something with 10 and either aces kings or queens. Makes every of your stacks auto win?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Whatever happens to Fallout 4, and wherever it takes place, I know one thing.

The Radio needs to have these songs:
    Mafia 2 Radio Soundtrack
    http://mafiagame.wikia.com/wiki/Mafia_II_Soundtrack

• Options
    Funniest part about Caravan was discovering that one tactic that was a guaranteed win every time.

Can't remember what it was but it was like a giant hole in the strategy of the game to exploit.

The correct way to play Caravan, is simply to kill the opposing player whenever you lose.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Whatever happens to Fallout 4, and wherever it takes place, I know one thing.

The Radio needs to have these songs:
    Mafia 2 Radio Soundtrack
    http://mafiagame.wikia.com/wiki/Mafia_II_Soundtrack

Never has a cockuld, infidelity, and adulterous murder plots sounded so good.

• Options
    edited March 2014

The correct way to play Caravan, is simply to kill the opposing player whenever you lose.
    There are soooo many games I wish I could do that in.

Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 in particular.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It'd be nice if I ever got around to playing an evil character in Fallout, but man, I just can't finish a pure evil playthrough, especially in the early games. The best I can manage is a Man-With-No-Name style mercenary.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It'd be nice if I ever got around to playing an evil character in Fallout, but man, I just can't finish a pure evil playthrough, especially in the early games. The best I can manage is a Man-With-No-Name style mercenary.
    Evil is very easy to slip into in RPGs, I find. When you play a good guy, there are certain rules and barriers you have to respect. When playing evil, everything opens up to you. You take what you want, the shortcuts, the big pay rolls heroes would shy away from, all the power you resisted before is now yours and it usually feels pretty satisfying.

I know a lot of people role play as themselves though so I know that would be hard to do, I'm usually very detached from my characters.

Only time I ever felt bad in an evil run through of anything was tricking the lil girl from Lamplight into slavery in 3. That got to me.

I actually broke character, reloaded my save and shot the slaver in the face.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Actually playing a Slaver in Fallout 2 made me feel awful. You run around clubbing/tazing natives and gunning down their meager resistance and selling men and women into a life where they'd probably wish they were dead.

It's amazing that content is there, and that the option to engage in that kind of wasteland evil is a legitimate choice and gives you TONS of cash at the cost of locking out good karma quests. I just can't do! :P

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Ahh...good times.

And like a true evil bastard, I tased them all while wearing the advanced power armor I snuck into Navarro early to get.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    anyone been through fo2 with the restoration pack? i have installed and everything but whenever i try to get a game going i never get as far as the first major town.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So playing NV/FO3 via a Tale of Two Wastelands has been pretty interesting so far. Hardcore mode and the NV gameplay has made DC a bit more challenging, particularly when I've been mostly scrounging for crap weapons up until now.

Got my hands on a combat shotgun and a lever action though, so that plus Shotgun Surgeon should make things die a bit quicker.

• Options
    Evil is a vague term. Is the man who demands any payment to rescue a child evil? What if he or she demands more?

Does forcing a man to cut off his own finger make me evil? What if I stop him just before he makes the cut?

Is it evil to force a man to live in harmony with people he fears? People who are stronger than him, illogical, who could crush him at a moments notice?

Is it evil to befriend a man and kill him and his companions because members of their organization took those precious to me?

Is it evil to hire a midget and forget about him in a welloOOOHHH SHIT!

• Options
    Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his evil?

• Options
    I didn't run low karma much.

Never appealed.

But I'll admit. From time to time, I had the pleasure of depriving certain evil men of their lives.

And the emphasis belongs on pleasure.

They say the wasteland is cruel. But it isn't, really. Wasteland gives and takes without fear or favor, without thought. Cruel takes a mind. Cruel is slow, painful, dedicated.

Cruelty done proper? It takes a civilized man.

And I am nothing if not civilized.

• Options
    Is a man not entitled to eat that which he rescued?