As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't know how lucky you are, back in the NCR [Fallout thread]

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    One of the things I will say I like about playing good in a game with real choices is that it gives good deeds more meaning.

It means something versus just playing and knowing who or what is isn't going to be okay regardless of your actions.

You made a decision not be a bastard even though it might have been easier or comes with a bigger reward.

It's why I like having that kind of freedom even when I don't use it, it gives everything more impact.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Frankly, I prefer the closed fist/open palm contrast of morality. That felt less heavy handed as it were and more palpable.
    i

• Options
    My morality is basically strangling my super ego in a lake and letting my primal instincts run wild.

If that involves running through the streets of Freeside naked and with a sniper rifle, so be it.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Frankly, I prefer the closed fist/open palm contrast of morality. That felt less heavy handed as it were and more palpable.

In theory, it's less heavy handed.

In practice, sadly, less so.

I think Paragon and Renegade are decent, with improvement as the series went on.

It's not if you're a good or bad person so much as what you think is the appropriate response to a particular problem.

Also if you want to be an asshole in a given conversation. (The answer is usually yes.)

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    I generally play the ass who will do the right thing in Fallout only because it means I get the favors of the people I help. It's more lucrative to get as many guys on your side and get as many rewards as possible. Usually in New Vegas I stay away from picking sides until near the end, not caring that I'm playing each side for saps, but only because there's profit in it and it means I got friends on my side until it's time to cross them.

In general it's not hard to be a good guy in Fallout. They'll pretty much only hate you if you steal from them or go killing people. Or in some cases betray them.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

I get what you mean, but that's a bad example. Beyond Act 1, Open Palm Closed Fist morality in Jade Empire boiled down to lightside / darkside choices. I can't remember single good one that wasn't just being a jerk for no reason.

In Fallout, being a good guy gave great benefits, so did being bad. It was really up to the player to pick and choose, which I appreciate.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I also have a hard time with evil play throughs.

I mean, I've started dozens.. But I always either end up abandoning it, or end up doing good shit and being a paragon of good morality in the end in spite of it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

I get what you mean, but that's a bad example. Beyond Act 1, Open Palm Closed Fist morality in Jade Empire boiled down to lightside / darkside choices. I can't remember single good one that wasn't just being a jerk for no reason.

In Fallout, being a good guy gave great benefits, so did being bad. It was really up to the player to pick and choose, which I appreciate.

The evil options in Jade Empire may not have been especially complex but some of them were damned unsavory. I actually found myself a bit uncomfortable with murdering one of my loyal followers and spilling their blood into the Water Dragon's fountain in order to corrupt and usurp its power. I'll also never forget the moment when, during my closed fist playthrough, I briefly went idle on the stairway outside the emperor's chambers and came back to see that my shadow had sprouted tentacles.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Morality hard, heavy handed easy, nuance time consuming and eat up budget.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Actually starting a self-interested Dwarven Noble playthrough in Dragon age, starting off pretty well. That origin gives you really good context for acting like a Machiavellian jerk. Of course I had that man killed! He threatened me! Also, my butler can talk to everybody for me.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Most people don't even finish any given game, much less play to the point where you'd actually see reactivity

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Most people don't even finish any given game, much less play to the point where you'd actually see reactivity

I bet there is scientifically provable statistics that more games were played to completion before steam came to be.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I bet there is scientifically provable statistics that more games were played to completion before steam came to be.

I'm oddly much better about now than when I was a kid.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I'm oddly much better about now than when I was a kid.

There was a time when I finished every game I got.

Then there was a time when I felt guilty for every game I didn't.

And now I have to actually care about a game to finish. And seeing LPs of some of the games I didn't finish really makes me feel better about the change.

• Options
    I finish just about every game I buy.

Leaving one undone drives me crazy, like Baldur's Gate. I'm still in the middle of that but haven't played in months, it's driving me fucking crazy.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I finish just about every game I buy.

Leaving one undone drives me crazy, like Baldur's Gate. I'm still in the middle of that but haven't played in months, it's driving me fucking crazy.

I finish every game I start. I have way too many games to finish everything I buy, though I do hope to get to everything I buy eventually.

But if a game can be completed (I.E. not a roguelike or MMO or something similar that is endless) it drives me insane if I don't complete it. I've got two almost done playthroughs of Skyrim and it bugs me literally daily that I don't just go finish them.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    First, all the talk of PCs drugged to the eyeballs reminds me of the classic Hacker's Guide to Sin, for (the original) System Shock.

"A cursory examination of the hacker courier reveals that he is not human. (He is capable of subsisting entirely on hard drugs and blue smarties.)"

Second, it is my shameful secret that I've never actually gotten out of Goodsprings. Finished Oblivion and Fallout 3 each a few times over, with multiple characters*, but life got busy and complicated right around the time I picked up NV, and between that and other games...

* in FO3, that's one "saint", one practical/mercenary, one Very Bad Man, and one try at following the spirit of a "stupid" playthrough as much as possible.

• Options
    The only way I have any hope of clearing my backlog is if the internet literally disappeared for a year.

I have no idea how that could be managed without an apocalyptic event that would destroy..every other infrastructure.

• Options
    The only way I have any hope of clearing my backlog is if the internet literally disappeared for a year.

I have no idea how that could be managed without an apocalyptic event that would destroy..every other infrastructure.
    Steam sales were sent into our life to destroy us.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I've come to the realization that nothing will ever clear my backlog. Ever. Especially when I start playing things like New Vegas for the umpteenth time.

• Options
    I think of it this way.

If I finished every game I started, I would have wasted days of my life on Starfox Adventures and Golden Sun.

Meanwhile, with my more loose current policies, I have a PS3 and EDF. Also plenty of time with the Fallout series. Net win.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I think of it this way.

If I finished every game I started, I would have wasted days of my life on Starfox Adventures and Golden Sun.

Meanwhile, with my more loose current policies, I have a PS3 and EDF. Also plenty of time with the Fallout series. Net win.

:x

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    This came from Amazon today.
    IMG_20140307_181128_806_zps46dcf833.jpg
    Couldn't find my original copies of Fallout 1 and 2 (lost 'em at some point in the last number of years and moves).

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    That reminds me...
    I should do a back up of all my GoG downloads and preserve them for future generation's use.

Anyone know where I can get a tape drive on the cheap?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    That reminds me...
    I should do a back up of all my GoG downloads and preserve them for future generation's use.

Anyone know where I can get a tape drive on the cheap?

1937?

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Tapes have been used as backups at least in the windows 95 era, I remember seeing that as a backup option and being surprised.

My local gamestop (Ireland) is still selling the interplay Fallout collection, I wonder is that still legal anymore? Didn't they lose the entire license a while back?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I just bought the Interplay collection off Amazon, so I'm assuming it's still good.

• Options
    Big Mountain is pretty tough at low levels, especially when it seems that all enemies are always aware of your presence. Exiting a building and having several nightstalkers and lobotomites bearing down on you, it's hard.

That and the bullet sponginess at high levels are probably the only problems with OWB, so I really can't complain. It's just going to need some different tactics to be able to survive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    I would recommend completing all the DLC before 20, however you might need a slow down level mod if you plan to clear all of them out.

OWB feels really good around lvl 13-17 assuming you have set your skill points to allow for books/mentats to pass some of the tougher skill checks because you dont have the murderous dick wads that you get sub level 7 and the spongeyness of the +25 seems to give (of course the farther you go the worse it gets).

I've been playing XCOM:EW recently and it made me think of Fallout 3/NV, really engaging and fun at low levels but can get tedious the further you go (fun tedious but tedious none the less).

Logans loophole or mods can also help with some of the ridiculous of upper levels. I wonder how different New Vegas would be if Obsidian could have more time to refine (you can tell the bulk of their efforts were to correct some of hideous gameplay elements that were inherited from 3 (notably gunplay) and get up to speed with gamebryo.

I

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Rule of Fallout combat, if you're running out of supplies, you're not using enough drugs.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Arent drugs supplies?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, I'm running Logan's loophole so I'm doped up to the eyeballs, but 3 nightstalkers and several lobotomites can really dish it out. I wish they would just fight each other.

I did realise that I wasn't making enough use of vats though. Jet along with a GRA 5.56 pistol does allow for some nice damaging headshots at close range.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    There's no way to get Hanlon to cut it out without either being pro-Legion or killing Caesar, is there?

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I always come back to this game on lazy sunday afternoons. Finished up Lonesome Road yesterday.
    It wasn't even a question on who to nuke at the end of it. Caesar can suck it, by this point in the game I'm getting tired of having to constantly dispense with 4 man assassin squads who waste my time and cost me a bunch of stimpacks.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    There's no way to get Hanlon to cut it out without either being pro-Legion or killing Caesar, is there?
    Well, you can let him kill himself, which isn't great for the Rangers, but doesn't cause the NCR any real issues. Plus you get a free Sequioa.

Aside from that, apparently merely discovering Caesar's illness will convince him to knock it off. I'm not sure if it'll be enough, but you can try to interrogate the Legionary at McCarran to discover Caesar's headaches.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Oh, I'm running Logan's loophole so I'm doped up to the eyeballs, but 3 nightstalkers and several lobotomites can really dish it out. I wish they would just fight each other.

I did realise that I wasn't making enough use of vats though. Jet along with a GRA 5.56 pistol does allow for some nice damaging headshots at close range.
    yeah i just ran OWB for the first time in a while, but while i have run lonesome road straight out of goodsprings a couple times, i genuinely wonder if i could pull it off with OWB

lonesome road really feels like a series of designed combat encounters, which gives you plenty of opportunity to prepare and engage on your terms

whereas in old world blues, everything pretty much just spawns up your ass

• Options
    I did manage to play through OWB from level 2 once. It was rough at the beginning until I managed to get some decent gear together. Proton axes are civilization and make it possible to deal with the majority of enemies but still, a lot of reloading the game will be required.

Think I played on hard during that run.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Well, you can let him kill himself, which isn't great for the Rangers, but doesn't cause the NCR any real issues. Plus you get a free Sequioa.

Aside from that, apparently merely discovering Caesar's illness will convince him to knock it off. I'm not sure if it'll be enough, but you can try to interrogate the Legionary at McCarran to discover Caesar's headaches.
    I don't think it would be (I already dealt with Silus, unfortunately, but I don't have a big problem with starting over or consoling the quest reset if it would work). He just says Caesar has headaches and they sometimes prevent him from working for days. Hmm, maybe I'll start a new game and see if it's enough.

• Options
    Rule of Fallout combat, if you're running out of supplies, you're not using enough drugs.
    Wasteland motto: Rehab is for quitters.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Every time I see this thread update I get excited, thinking there's some news for Fallout 4. :'(

"I see everything twice!"