As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't know how lucky you are, back in the NCR [Fallout thread]

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Are you watching, Bethesda? Drinking our tears? Are you not amused?!

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Sunday I helped my buddy finish OWB (on xbox).

And since I told him it was better to do it early (good bonuses, player house, enemies aren't bullet sponges yet) he decided to do it as his first thing.

Literally.

Like his main quest log is "Talk to Sunny at the bar."

And now that he's done, he's level 20 with a +30% damage to Cazadores, +10% to Nightstalkers, great weapons/armor/perks and complete access to the Sink.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

No point, next Bethesda game will be a sequal to Fallout 3, not New Vegas.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Fallout 3 is a good game so I'm not sure what you're getting at in this post. Also, the events of 3 and New Vegas all happened in the same universe, just on different ends of the continent, so Fallout 4 will be a sequel to New Vegas.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    To be fair, bethesda's grasp on continuity is...not that strong. Unless you're a believer in the CHIM

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I don't play bethesda games for their stories. I play their games because they make awesome worlds to fuck around in.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Which is the antithesis of what FO1 and 2 were

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Which is the antithesis of what FO1 and 2 were

Hey, I have issues with Fallout 2, but it's still fun to fuck around in.

Unless you're saying that Fallout 2 has a coherent setting, in which case, ha ha ha ha ha.

• Options
    Little fucking lamplight

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Little fucking lamplight

Exactly.

Fallout 2 and 3 have a lot in common on the narrative coherence front. Bethesda was just respecting series tradition!

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, but Fallout 2 ended up that way, because of the skewed devevelopment leaving the game with 0 actual design/writing oversight. In Fallout 3 its because of bad writing.

Eh, as I've come to realize I enjoy both. I'll still say the one thing I was extremly disappointed by in 3 was how it wanted to be Fallout 1&2. They had a whole new location in the Fallout universe to explore, but then decided to force in what they could from the west and IMO for the worst. Harold. Ugh, Harold.

Hopefully they get a lot more creative in 4.

C2B on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    That was the main problem, yes. A Brotherhood Outpost as a referential point, sure. The Enclave made sense, too. But FO3 retreads a lot of ground FO1 and FO2 covered and it didn't need to.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    While playing the Tale of Two Wastelands mod, I've come to the realization that while I like the idea of the setting of Fallout 3, New Vegas is so much better written and has a much more coherent and developed world.
    Also , thanks for telling me how I can save Chief Hanlon. Even though in my current playthrough, he's already dead.[spoiler/]

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That was the main problem, yes. A Brotherhood Outpost as a referential point, sure. The Enclave made sense, too. But FO3 retreads a lot of ground FO1 and FO2 covered and it didn't need to.

For people that had played the first two games, you are right. For everyone else, not so much.

• Options

For people that had played the first two games, you are right. For everyone else, not so much.

For people new to the franchise, new material is just as compelling as old stuff.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the prospect of another bethesda fallout isn't super exciting for me

even leaving aside the story, bethesda are not nearly as good at designing gameplay systems and balancing things as obsidian

i liked fallout 3 i guess and i probably ended up putting 100 hours into it... but i probably put at least 600 into new vegas

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Fallout 3 is a good game so I'm not sure what you're getting at in this post. Also, the events of 3 and New Vegas all happened in the same universe, just on different ends of the continent, so Fallout 4 will be a sequel to New Vegas.

It'll be made by Bethesda, not Obsidian. I liked NV for the storytelling. F3 wasn't nearly as good. It'll again have the coherency and depth of Skyrim or Oblivion.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Every time I see this thread update I get excited, thinking there's some news for Fallout 4. :'(

Bethesda is actually very good with keeping games close to their chest. Or at least the teams working on the alternating ES/Fallout releases is. Like, they typically start up the hype train a year or less out from release which is pretty conservative for such a franchise.

I actually appreciate that.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Bethesda is actually very good with keeping games close to their chest. Or at least the teams working on the alternating ES/Fallout releases is. Like, they typically start up the hype train a year or less out from release which is pretty conservative for such a franchise.
    Nothing worse than seeing someone release a teaser and then saying "yeah? You like that? Well, see you in three years".

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Man with all the absurd, silly, and stupid shit that exists in the Fallout universe, regardless of what game, how bent out of shape some people get about Little Lamplight is hilarious, bordering on goosiness of the highest order.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I was really bored and quickly forgot about it....like most of fallout 3's NPC's. But not that DLC.

• Options
    Man with all the absurd, silly, and stupid shit that exists in the Fallout universe, regardless of what game, how bent out of shape some people get about Little Lamplight is hilarious, bordering on goosiness of the highest order.
    Well Honk freaking honk. I keep bringing it up because it is the prefect representation behind most of their conceptual problems. This is what, 200 years after the bombs fell? Little lamplight makes it seems like it's been like a decade, max. The only way that would make any sense is if you CHIM it up and use the meta reasoning that after whatever that cutoff age is, they lose the magical invulnerability that kids get for whatever hell the reason

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Every thing in Fallout 3 feels like its only been 20 years since the bombs fell.

New Vegas feels like 50 years after the bombs fell.

• Options
    The timeline is completely borked even in Fallout 1.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    The timeline is completely borked even in Fallout 1.

In what way?

C2B on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    So I finally picked up New Vegas. Beyond some bugs I run into, mostly around Steam Achievements only working some of the time, I'm loving it. I picked up the ultimate pack so I'll have to try out the DLC at some point.

Deathclaws feel much more dangerous in this game compared to previous installments. I like it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Probably cause there's not a 50% chance that they will enter into low Earth orbit while chasing you.

• Options
    HuddsHudds Fool Just Outside TimeRegistered User regular
    No kidding. I don't remember ever being as excited to see a deathclaw or a group of them.

What's the term for a group of deathclaws?

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Playing TTW, albino radscorps are annoying as hell. Ghoul reavers and super mutant overlords are also particularly bullet-spongy in TTW/NV game mechanics. Even with some choice gear I grabbed in NV, going back to the Capitol Wastelands puts a serious dent on my ammo supply.

I didn't have enough mininukes to dent the behemoth outside of GNR.

Man I'm loving/loathing this.

• Options
    Hudds wrote: »
    No kidding. I don't remember ever being as excited to see a deathclaw or a group of them.

What's the term for a group of deathclaws?

Urfuked.
    I'd probably go with pack

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Both are equally valid.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Playing TTW, albino radscorps are annoying as hell. Ghoul reavers and super mutant overlords are also particularly bullet-spongy in TTW/NV game mechanics. Even with some choice gear I grabbed in NV, going back to the Capitol Wastelands puts a serious dent on my ammo supply.

this is a good chunk of why i think broken steel is a terrible DLC

the rest is that it isn't very fun

i need to give the pitt a try once, i guess

after being burned on everything but point lookout, i was afraid to

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

The revival of the Fallout franchise was by no means a sure thing. It was better to show a new audience why people liked the old Fallouts, rather than something totally new right away which would have had a high likelihood of pleasing no one and killing the series a final time.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

this is a good chunk of why i think broken steel is a terrible DLC

the rest is that it isn't very fun

i need to give the pitt a try once, i guess

after being burned on everything but point lookout, i was afraid to

It's been a while, but I remember The Pitt being pretty good. It's no OWB or Honest Hearts, but still pretty decent.

Definitely worth playing at least once.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014

The revival of the Fallout franchise was by no means a sure thing. It was better to show a new audience why people liked the old Fallouts, rather than something totally new right away which would have had a high likelihood of pleasing no one and killing the series a final time.

That's not a good argument. And not just because in reality it backfired.

The only thing they needed to convey were gameplay principles (Choices for one) and setting atmosphere. And they did a passable enough job on the first and a good one on the second (Even if they should have set it earlier in the timeline)

Forcing/copying stuff from the narrative in F3 into a completly different location they didn't need to. And if they felt as such they made an error.

C2B on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Considering FO3 (and NV) were incredibly successful and popular, you have a very strange definition of 'backfired'.

If you could have gone back to before FO3 was announced and asked random gamer if they knew what Fallout was, you might get an "oh I've heard of that". Fallout wasn't, and isn't, the only IP's from the 80's and 90's that were dead as doornails in this century, for reasons that had no correlation to the quality of the games themselves. That period is rife with cult classics and fan favorites that were not amazing sellers, even for the era.

The idea that Bethesda was supposed to reintroduce this universe, calling it '3', and both not take the time to retread some FO1/2 stuff or make it their own at the same time is silly and narrow minded.

They did an excellent job and produced a great game that has plenty of great storytelling and moments. Whether it was perfect is irrelevant, and claiming something 'backfired' when it was super popular and probably sold more than the first 2 games combined, is pretty silly.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Considering FO3 (and NV) were incredibly successful and popular, you have a very strange definition of 'backfired'.

No, I don't.

It wasn't a success for the things they included narritavly from the original games and it wasn't exactly the draw from the fans of that era either. In fact its one of the biggest critisism of the game.

And reintroducing the setting does not mean rehashing charachters and plotpoints while in some cases changing them for the worse

C2B on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    How did it backfire? Fallout 3 was enormously successful? As a new commer to fallout I preferred the setting of 3 far better than new vegas. New vegas was fun and varied, but almost too varied. 3 was atmospheric and cohesive for me in a way that solidified the world and allowed me to enjoy the tangential nature of vegas a little better. Again opinions tho.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Prohass wrote: »
    How did it backfire? Fallout 3 was enormously successful? As a new commer to fallout I preferred the setting of 3 far better than new vegas. New vegas was fun and varied, but almost too varied. 3 was atmospheric and cohesive for me in a way that solidified the world and allowed me to enjoy the tangential nature of vegas a little better. Again opinions tho.

Please read the discussion again to see what I mean by backfired.

The game did in no way fail at attracting new customers. And it did not even fail at presenting the setting/atmo in a modern 3D sandbox game, as I mentioned in the post. It did fail in reusing stuff from older games to attract the old fans.

They didn't need/have to do that and IMO its a worse game for it.

C2B on
  • Options

It's not like Bethesda didn't outbid other companies for the rights to it....

steam_sig.png