As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ralph Nader Appreciation Thread [Cars]

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    But it's about the balaaaaance

Blah blah Miata 50/50 blah Super Nippon Steele blah blah

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    After a few years not even looking for cars I spied a BRZ slash 86 on a mag somewhere.

That's a nice lookin' zoombox to me.

I've thought about pulling the trigger a bunch(wife really likes them too, which helps) but the thing that annoys me the engine. Having to run premium, for an engine that makes 197HP(7000 RPM) and 151 lb-ft(6500 rpm) and only gets 21/24/28 MPG just seems poor. Like it was probably alright a decade or two ago, but compare it to say the

2.5L Skyactive engines from Mazada
    184 hp (137 kW) at 5,700 rpm and 185 lb⋅ft (251 N⋅m) of torque at 3,250 rpm

Or the 2.0L ecoboost

Standard
    243 PS (179 kW; 240 hp) @5500 rpm, 270 lb⋅ft (366 N⋅m) @1900–3500 rpm

ST version

(188 kW; 252 hp) @5500 rpm, 270 lb⋅ft (366 N⋅m) @2000–4500 rpm 22/25/30

Which can run regular and only loses about 10HP and 10 lb-ft of torque.

I just can see myself getting pissed every time I'm paying 30% more at the pump.

And since the back seat in the 86 is next to useless anyways, why not just get a Miata. The performance is a bit worse, but you can put the top down.

Buy one secondhand and put an LS3 in it anyway.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    My problem with the BRZ/86 was the rear visibility was atrocious. Couldnt see shit looking over my shoulder.

Hard to justify when the WRX is right there for about the same price.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Add to that GTI, Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Mustang V6, used Mustang GT (maybe), Camaro V6, and there are probably more. At 28-30k there's an abundance of choices depending on what a person might want for a car. The BRZ offers great balance, simplicity, and great looks, but you can get a lot more car/power for the same money. It sure it pretty though.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Add to that GTI, Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Mustang V6, used Mustang GT (maybe), Camaro V6, and there are probably more. At 28-30k there's an abundance of choices depending on what a person might want for a car. The BRZ offers great balance, simplicity, and great looks, but you can get a lot more car/power for the same money. It sure it pretty though.

The bolded simply does not apply in Australia, if you want anything other than straight-line speed.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    My XF passed its MOT, with no advisories. Awesome. Always feels celebratory :)

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    After a few years not even looking for cars I spied a BRZ slash 86 on a mag somewhere.

I've thought about pulling the trigger a bunch(wife really likes them too, which helps) but the thing that annoys me the engine. Having to run premium, for an engine that makes 197HP(7000 RPM) and 151 lb-ft(6500 rpm) and only gets 21/24/28 MPG just seems poor. Like it was probably alright a decade or two ago, but compare it to say the

Or the 2.0L ecoboost

Standard

ST version

I just can see myself getting pissed every time I'm paying 30% more at the pump.

And since the back seat in the 86 is next to useless anyways, why not just get a Miata. The performance is a bit worse, but you can put the top down.

Or by a Miata secondhand and put an LS in that instead. Lighter, convertible, cheaper to buy the shell, and they make kits to do it. That's like a quad-win!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I really with Toyobaru would add an additional 50hp to the BRZ/86. I like the car but really cant see any reason to get one of those over a Ecoboost Mustang with an extra 100hp

• Options
    I thought the main point of the BRZ/86 was that you could drive it sideways, with just one hand, all day every day, and when you needed a new set of rear rubber due to all the sideways action, they were super cheap ones to replace.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Pretty much yeah. But you can drive a Mustang sideways too, and not get embarrassed by minivans at stoplights.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I appreciate the 86 twins. A simple, lightweight, no frills sports car is great. It's just not for me.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Jazz wrote: »
    I thought the main point of the BRZ/86 was that you could drive it sideways, with just one hand, all day every day, and when you needed a new set of rear rubber due to all the sideways action, they were super cheap ones to replace.

Yea it's just more power doesn't take away from all that. And unless it's way cheaper than alternatives with more power(it's not) it makes it kind of a big '?'

Like the new special upgraded one they are selling I was reading a review about. And basically they made it handle better and made all sorts of improvements everywhere except in power. Which just made the lack of power even more apparent. They are really good looking though it's just a shame as they could so easily be so much more than they are.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Or the 2.0L ecoboost

Standard

ST version

Or by a Miata secondhand and put an LS in that instead. Lighter, convertible, cheaper to buy the shell, and they make kits to do it. That's like a quad-win!

How a vehicle looks is part of the reason to get it... which is why I'll probably never buy a Miata. I find them kind of physically repulsive in the looks department, and I don't want to drive a vehicle I find ridiculous looking for a few extra HP.

My biggest issues are drivability (since I'm going to be turning the wheel far more often than punching the accelerator), time to highway speeds and how it handles at 80+ mph, and reliability so I'm not replacing parts 1 month after the warranty is up. I'm also concerned with size because parallel parking a Mustang in this city is not something I want to do ever.

I feel like there's a lot the car can offer and after a test drive I really enjoyed it.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Re the WRX:

It absolutely destroys my hip for the same reason I can't drive manual cars anymore.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Pretty much yeah. But you can drive a Mustang sideways too, and not get embarrassed by minivans at stoplights.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I appreciate the 86 twins. A simple, lightweight, no frills sports car is great. It's just not for me.

If I was looking for a simple, lightweight, no frills sports car at the moment I'd make a bee-line for a Mazda. I had a '92 Miata once, back in the States, and I'd absolutely have another one. Still considering it, on and off. I really do like their looks - well, I'm not fond of the 2nd gen in that regard, but I like all the others, especially the 1st - and it seriously was an absolute hoot to drive, whatever the weather.

Jazz on
  • Options
    oh OH how i wish Mazda still made the "speed" series.
    i had a DEEP affection for my Mazda 3 and would 100% buy another one. I loved my Mazda so much i convinced than 6 friends and family to buy them.
    My sis just had a terrible head on collision in her Mazda 3 and came out with a bruised hip and not much else.

Mazda is the modern version of Hondas from the early 90s.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Some pictures of the new Supra have supposedly leaked.

https://imgur.com/a/N6EbO

I uhh... Hmm.. It's not doing it for me to be honest.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Those arent great shots. I saw a closer shot of one from the side profile and it looked amazing.
    Those look.....cartoony.

*although they really need to get away from that goofy front bulge.

Ninjeff on
  • Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Those arent great shots. I saw a closer shot of one from the side profile and it looked amazing.
    Those look.....cartoony.

*although they really need to get away from that goofy front bulge.

Yea some angles are OK. But that front end is... yeesh. Maybe in person it would look better but so far I'm not quite a fan.

• Options

Hence why my plan is to put a 650 horsepower crate engine in one. Simple, lightweight, no frills, and quick enough to embarrass Porsches.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Some pictures of the new Supra have supposedly leaked.

https://imgur.com/a/N6EbO

I uhh... Hmm.. It's not doing it for me to be honest.

Front end looks mostly like Ferrari Enzo + Supra
    Side profile looks like a new miata
    The rear looks terrible and I don't know what, if any, other designs they pulled from for that thing.
    Enzo_Angles-2.jpg

2018-Mazda-Miata-MX-5-Side-View-768x480.jpg

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    oh OH how i wish Mazda still made the "speed" series.
    i had a DEEP affection for my Mazda 3 and would 100% buy another one. I loved my Mazda so much i convinced than 6 friends and family to buy them.
    My sis just had a terrible head on collision in her Mazda 3 and came out with a bruised hip and not much else.

Mazda is the modern version of Hondas from the early 90s.

Is this still true, now that Ford has been holding the reins?

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Ford hasn't had any stake in Mazda since around 2015 (and at that time I think it was only a 13% stake).

• Options
    From 1974 to 2015, Mazda had a partnership with the Ford Motor Company, which acquired a 24.5% stake in 1979, upped to a 33.4% ownership of Mazda in May 1995. Under the administration of Alan Mulally, Ford gradually divested its stake in Mazda from 2008 to 2015, with Ford holding 2.1% of Mazda stock as of 2014 and severing most production as well as development ties.

TIL!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Holy fuck, VW went back to their origins in levels of evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glHNu91zUdA

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    There's a Mazda 3 mps model that I'm given to understand has a substantial amount in common with the Focus ST.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Car dummy question for you guys.

I've got some maintenance due like "inspect cv boots" and "inspect driveshaft universal joints." Would one normally specifically ask for these things from a mechanic? I feel like asking for that sort of inspection is just begging for them to suggest unnecessary repairs.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The way it works at my mechanic is they do all the normal stuff and also whatever their computer tells them is now due or upcoming based on the miles and manufacturer recommendations.

You might ask them if that’s what they do.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Both of those are things you could inspect yourself, with nothing more than a jack. Jack stands preferable for going under the car, but a jack will do in a pinch. The CV boots will be covering where the axle meets the hub, and the transmission. They're heavy ribbed black rubber, hard to miss. Push them around, make sure there aren't any cracks, make sure they aren't leaking grease. If they look like this it's mechanic time:

CUFruFI.jpg?1

The universal joint is the coupling here:

ZuGK8Ld.jpg

It's checked basically by yanking on it, seeing if there's any play in the joint, no movement left to right or up and down. Turning the drive shaft with your hands, making sure it's not wobbling in the joint.

If you do take it in, and a mechanic comes back saying there's a problem, tell them to show you, as the only potential problems with either are extremely easy to spot.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Someone spotted one of the entries to replace the USPS Grumman LLV trucks and oh man does it ever look like a box truck had sex with its sister.

tRQcmdD.png

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Someone spotted one of the entries to replace the USPS Grumman LLV trucks and oh man does it ever look like a box truck had sex with its sister.

tRQcmdD.png

They saw Top Gear's Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust and thought "damn that looks good".

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Are they just ignoring aerodynamics because these things will be spending 95% of their time going under 20 mph?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options

I recommend you also check the first episode of the documentary series Dirty Money on Netflix. It goes over the shenanigans related to the VW Diesel situation (with excerpts of video testimony from August 2017); and it touches briefly on the fact that nearly every other major German Diesel manufacturer is doing this same bullshit in Europe; or at least in Germany.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

I recommend you also check the first episode of the documentary series Dirty Money on Netflix. It goes over the shenanigans related to the VW Diesel situation (with excerpts of video testimony from August 2017); and it touches briefly on the fact that nearly every other major German Diesel manufacturer is doing this same bullshit in Europe; or at least in Germany.

The thing that amazed me was the gassing of monkeys. Now that would be horrible for any other car brand to do, but Volkswagen? You want to shake them while asking "Do you remember the history of your company?"

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    No, the worse part that's pointed out in the documentary [and the video above] is that the original design was supposed to be a human on an exercise bike. With emission gas split off the exhaust and running to a mask.

Yeah.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    In which a 458 Italia gets THE CLAW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl2sVpgwdYQ
    The car belonged to 30-year-old Zahid Khan, a millionaire businessman branded a ‘rogue landlord’ after forcing tenants out of his property in 2016. After three of the six charges against him were upheld, Khan was ordered to carry out 150 hours of community service. When turning up to an appeal hearing at Birmingham Crown Court, he parked and left the ill-fated Ferrari on the pavement.

Apparently believing it was stolen, police later seized the car. When trying to find out what had happened to it, Khan was told it had been destroyed, as it was without valid insurance and was classed as an un-roadworthy ‘category B’ insurance write-off that had been repaired after a serious accident.

tl;dr slumlord gets his uninsured, permanently non-roadworthy Ferrari repaired, police pick it up, smashy smashy.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

The car belonged to 30-year-old Zahid Khan, a millionaire businessman branded a ‘rogue landlord’ after forcing tenants out of his property in 2016. After three of the six charges against him were upheld, Khan was ordered to carry out 150 hours of community service. When turning up to an appeal hearing at Birmingham Crown Court, he parked and left the ill-fated Ferrari on the pavement.

Apparently believing it was stolen, police later seized the car. When trying to find out what had happened to it, Khan was told it had been destroyed, as it was without valid insurance and was classed as an un-roadworthy ‘category B’ insurance write-off that had been repaired after a serious accident.

tl;dr slumlord gets his uninsured, permanently non-roadworthy Ferrari repaired, police pick it up, smashy smashy.

There's so much wrong with this decision. Was the engine also non-functioning? That shit could still be sold separately for a few years of mortgage payments. Also the wheels and tires. And the seats and all the rest of the leather. Just because the frame of a Ferrari might be bent to shit, doesn't mean it is worthless!

• Options

There's so much wrong with this decision. Was the engine also non-functioning? That shit could still be sold separately for a few years of mortgage payments. Also the wheels and tires. And the seats and all the rest of the leather. Just because the frame of a Ferrari might be bent to shit, doesn't mean it is worthless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OyrX11cMkE

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Local authorities tend towards destroying seized cars rather than selling them on.

Part of it is that if they sell it, and the original owner at the time contests the title, the whole thing's a massive headache.

Also you don't get as much as you'd think for Cat B exotica at auction. Auction houses will generally only sell Cat A or B vehicles to regulated breakers (an "authorised treatment facility" in DVLA parlance) as a matter of policy and there just aren't that many willing to take on something like that relative to more common vehicles.

japan on
  • Options
    I suspect Ferrari themselves would have liked it back.

• Options
    Even Ferrari said the police did the right thing.

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.