As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ralph Nader Appreciation Thread [Cars]

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Do not, and I mean DO NOT vent a/c refrigerant to atmosphere. No, not even R134. It's a dick move, and doing so makes you an arsehole for sure. Get your a/c system serviced by a pro, it costs less than buying all the requisite tools and shit yourself, and you really only ought to do it every 5 years or so.

Do you recommend people get their AC recharged every 5 years? I have never done it on my impreza and it seems just fine.

I recommend you get your a/c serviced at least every 5, yeah. A new drier, a leak check, and a squirt more lube for the compressor are about the minimum I am happy with on the a/c in my car every 5 years. If you still have a system full of gas then there's no need to change it.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Because liberal bumper stickers just aren't pretentious enough:
    18193715_10155295296074516_5828833429264856215_n.jpg?oh=ae485aa998f0e34b46084732f1a801c7&oe=598A50A4

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Well at least now when some redneck rolls coal on you; you'll have earned it.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Is it normal for the AC compressor wheel to stutter a little before completely stopping? This is after I replaced the bad alternator.

video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ePOIPZ4IPQ

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That doesn't seem like anything to worry about, no.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Car didn't start this morning :( only had a minute or two to check things before I had to make a decision to get a lift or not so will have more of a look when I got home.

Power seemed fine (radio on, lights bright) but nothing when I turned the key. I *think* I heard the relay click, but was rushing. Tried bashing the starter motor a couple of times but no change, wasn't even trying to turn over.

Things to check - starter fuse, starter relay, starter motor? Anything else?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Does anyone remember a company a few years ago, they were selling GTR R34(?) in America. They were left hand drive customs and I think basically considered new cars.
    I'm trying to find anything about anything even closely related to that anyway.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    There was a company called Motorex that imported some R33 Skylines, but I don't know a whole lot about the program beyond that. Don't think R34s were ever legally imported.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Probably took RHD stock skylines and imported the parts, made a Franken-34. Legit GTR34s won't be importable until 2024 :(

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Artic posted this over in the Forza thread and I figured people here would enjoy it.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Does anyone remember a company a few years ago, they were selling GTR R34(?) in America. They were left hand drive customs and I think basically considered new cars.
    I'm trying to find anything about anything even closely related to that anyway.

IIRC there was a company in Tampa that was importing them without glass, motor, or transmission, shipping them all separate, and then reassembling the car and registering it as a "kit car" in FL. Totes legal at the state level but the Fed came in and shut them down.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Friday night I had some dude in a GTI try really hard to bait me into a race. Which, whatever, but we were on the busiest road in my city and it's friggin 8 pm on Friday night. Where do you think we are going to go with traffic like that? And seriously buddy, unless you have some work done, you aren't going to challenge me.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    How about a 3 hour endurance race on a Honda Cub?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-UcGT338ag

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    How do the engines on those things not eat it after being pushed to the limit for that long?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    This gets fun at 10:45ish:

https://youtu.be/793k_csboJk

• Options
    So my '01 subaru with ~130k miles is starting to have head gasket issues again and the cost of fixing that is about the cost of the car. I'm looking at getting a Nissan Leaf because I could get it for about $22.5k OFF the MSRP ( 7.5k fed + 5k state + 10k xcel rebate). So I would be looking at about $10k for the car once I get all the tax credits back next year. This sort of deal seems WAAAAYY too good to pass up and the xcel portion ends June 30th.

Anyone have any experience or insight into the Leaf or unexpected things with EV cars in general? Consumer reports and other such comparisons seem to make the Leaf seem good but not as great as something like a prius. My wife has the minivan so we will have that as a possibility for longer drives. Thoughts?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So my '01 subaru with ~130k miles is starting to have head gasket issues again and the cost of fixing that is about the cost of the car. I'm looking at getting a Nissan Leaf because I could get it for about $22.5k OFF the MSRP ( 7.5k fed + 5k state + 10k xcel rebate). So I would be looking at about $10k for the car once I get all the tax credits back next year. This sort of deal seems WAAAAYY too good to pass up and the xcel portion ends June 30th.

Anyone have any experience or insight into the Leaf or unexpected things with EV cars in general? Consumer reports and other such comparisons seem to make the Leaf seem good but not as great as something like a prius. My wife has the minivan so we will have that as a possibility for longer drives. Thoughts?

Budget $3-5k for having a charger installed at hone.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Do you have to deal with snow? Winter does a number on EV electric range.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I live in Colorado so I do have to deal with snow, but I work in a job that is pretty flexible and allows me to work from home if I need to.
    The round trip to my current office is 24 miles and the round trip to the furthest place I would be willing to work is 40 miles round trip.

I know I'll have to get a 240v outlet installed in the garage, but I didn't think it would cost $3-5k. I would opt for the 6.6 Kw charger on the car which is 1.7k so maybe that is what you were including? The electrician that installed a dedicated power line for my wife's kiln only charged ~$400. Assuming I have enough space in the fuse box I can't imagine it would cost that much more just a regular 240v outlet?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Budget $3-5k for having a charger installed at hone.

What? I had a 240v line/outlet installed so we could charge our new EV. It was around $1,000 for us, and that was with having the box almost as far as it could possibly be from where we needed the outlet.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Do you have to deal with snow? Winter does a number on EV electric range.

We only saw a big drop in range this past winter when the temperature dropped well below zero. Otherwise it wasn't a significant enough issue to matter much.

• Options
    Could you quantify "big drop in range"?
    How many miles and what percentage of your range was decreased?

• Options
    No, I cannot quantify it, as I wasn't driving or in the car. But on a roundtrip that normally requires no charging at all my wife had to go out of her way to visit a charger on the way back because the car wouldn't have made it otherwise. It was something like -30 to -40 out, and keeping the car warm enough for the kids was draining the battery much faster than normal.

Just that weekend though. No issues at all the rest of the winter, and we're in the Chicago area.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    That's basically the 'warmer' part of Yellowknife's winter.

Electric vehicles still have some work needed before they can replace ICE up here.

• Options
    Colder temperatures significantly affect battery performance. Modern chemistry like LiPo and NiMH cells aren't as susceptible as lead-acid batteries, but there is still definitely a significant performance drop off.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Speaking of electric vehicles, here's Richard Hammond obliterating a million dollar Rimac Concept One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4sDy-zdV2o

And somehow managing to survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdrTn15JYgc

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Oh Hammond. *slowly shakes head*

I made the mistake of watching one of the recommended videos after that where some guy tried to say electric cars should not catch on fire so it must have been equipment malfunction. Nope, batteries can never explode or catch fie. That is a thing that definitely never happens ever.

Edit: On the new car front I started looking at a Prius Prime which is their plug in hybrid which gets 25 miles on electric alone. That isn't great but that will get me to and from work on a single charge. Also it doesn't get all of federal tax credit but it does get all of the Colorado tax credit so together that will be $9,500 off.
    Yay tax incentives for rich people to buy nice cars!

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Death said "One more."

James Hillier said "Not today."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46KuqaehOHc

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Random:
    Why did WRC die? I googled around and saw some thing saying regulations killed it and some others saying FIA couldn't secure broadcast deals. Does anyone have a TL;DR explanation?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Uhh WRC is still going, stages going all the time, about half way through the season right now.

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/results/rally-results/page/3049----.html

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    There's basically no cable coverage in the US of WRC, maybe beIN Sports, but I only ever watch that channel for MotoGP coverage.

Red Bull has free coverage of WRC through daily highlights with a lot of additional commentator stuff here https://www.redbull.tv/event/AP-1K1ATXB1W1W11/fia-world-rally-championship-2017/2017. You can watch on the internet, device apps, console apps, etc. Highlights go up about a day after the events of the coverage.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Mostly I meant that there is no US cable coverage and that there are only 4 manufacturers left Citroen, Hyundai, Toyota, and M-sport/Ford.
    What happened to Subaru, Mitsubishi, Peugeot, etc?

Edit: and thanks for the redbull link. :)

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    We decided we'd much rather watch cars make left hand turns than anything that involves skill, like going 180+ MPH around a course that has both left AND right hand turns.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    We decided we'd much rather watch cars make left hand turns than anything that involves skill, like going 180+ MPH around a course that has both left AND right hand turns.

NASCAR TV numbers are cratering as well. There just isn't much appetite for auto racing at moment.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    How do the engines on those things not eat it after being pushed to the limit for that long?

they are very, very understressed and just as overbuilt

Soichiro-sensei got it right

• Options
    edited June 2017
    And Cows with MORE car problems/questions!

My wife and I were driving in the mountains with the 2014 Honda Odyssey we just bought with maybe 400 lbs of extra stuff in the car. When going down steep grades at high speeds the car would shake a lot while braking. This didn't happen when going the same speeds and braking on a flat or uphill surface. No shaking at low speeds and no shaking while not on the brake. If it was warped rotors that would cause issues in any sort of braking not just downhill. Any idea what could be causing this or the solution?

I know front brakes usually do something like 70% of the braking and the back do 30%. Is it possible that the little extra weight + downhill + brake power difference could cause the shaking?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    And Cows with MORE car problems/questions!

My wife and I were driving in the mountains with the 2014 Honda Odyssey we just bought with maybe 400 lbs of extra stuff in the car. When going down steep grades at high speeds the car would shake a lot while braking. This didn't happen when going the same speeds and braking on a flat or uphill surface. No shaking at low speeds and no shaking while not on the brake. If it was warped rotors that would cause issues in any sort of braking not just downhill. Any idea what could be causing this or the solution?

I know front brakes usually do something like 70% of the braking and the back do 30%. Is it possible that the little extra weight + downhill + brake power difference could cause the shaking?

Did it happen immediately, or after some time going down hill?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also was it like ABS kicking in or more of a general shaking.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    definitely not abs. It was general shaking that got worse with how hard the brake was applied. This happened immediately and so I don't think it was caused by some sort of brake fade/heating up rotors and causing warping.

This discussion has been closed.