Best version of Final Fantasy VI?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have both the GBA version and also the PSN (PSX) version. I remember the GBA version being great because it was super-fast with no slowdown whatsoever. However, as I've retired my NDS in favor of a 3DS, it is not so convenient for me to play this version anymore (no GBA slot on the 3DS).

I received FF6 as a perk for being a PlayStation Plus subscriber and now that they've added PSone support to the PS Vita, I can play FF6 on it.

I've heard less than stellar things about the PSX Final Fantasy games pre-VII, mostly referring to atrocious load times. Is this true? Does it apply to FF6?

Also, are the GBA and PSN (PSX) versions identical? I'd like to play through it again, but the better, more complete version, if one of them is better or more complete.

Thanks!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
Drez on

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    I can confirm that the PSX version has longer load times. Can't say for certain how much longer they are as it's been a while, but it's noticeable.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    The biggest nags are the time it takes for a battle to end and the amount of time it takes for the menu to pop after pressing triangle.

Both are in the 1-3 second range, and you will quickly acclimatize as long as you aren't obsessed with it, and since you don't have to pay anything for it, why not load it up and see how you like it?

For me, it's been many years since I played the SNES cart or the GBA cart, so while I recognize that things are more sluggish on the PSN version, it's not so bad that it's having an impact on enjoyment.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Drez wrote:
    So, I have both the GBA version and also the PSN (PSX) version. I remember the GBA version being great because it was super-fast with no slowdown whatsoever. However, as I've retired my NDS in favor of a 3DS, it is not so convenient for me to play this version anymore (no GBA slot on the 3DS).

I received FF6 as a perk for being a PlayStation Plus subscriber and now that they've added PSone support to the PS Vita, I can play FF6 on it.

I've heard less than stellar things about the PSX Final Fantasy games pre-VII, mostly referring to atrocious load times. Is this true? Does it apply to FF6?

Also, are the GBA and PSN (PSX) versions identical? I'd like to play through it again, but the better, more complete version, if one of them is better or more complete.

Thanks!

GBA has a new translation and a little censorship (during a scene with Celes) and has worse sound/music than the others. It also has a new dungeon. Also has some major bug fixes.

Edit: The PS1 version is basically the same as the SNES version, but with some small fixes with translation and bugs but worse load times. Also has intro and ending CG which doesn't add anything.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Slowdown during combat on PSX was annoying too, despite not really having any impact on gameplay. They could've fixed that stuff. Sabin's Firedance = slowdown every single time.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • DVGDVG Registered User regular
    For the record, I have noticed I have a much harder time getting Sabin's Blitz input right on the PSV than I have on other platforms, but I think that's mostly a me getting used to the D-pad issue.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Hmm.

Well I still have my DS. I can use that I guess.

And the Gameboy Player for that matter, but I'd need to connect my GC again.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    What system will you be playing the PSX version on? On my vita, with fast disc loading turned on, the load times in FF6 are almost not noticeable to me. Maybe it's because I am just "used" to disc based load times, but I don't notice it anymore. I am sure if I went to the cart version, played it for several hours, then picked up my Vita, it would annoy me...but after coming from Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, I hardly notice.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling