As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, August 30, 2012 - Commonality

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited August 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Commonality

Commonality
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/commonality

The Winter Months are Hard on Some

Anonymous

I was working 3rd Key at Gamestop a few years ago and we were preparing for the winter holiday. My shop was in a lower income area and was prone to an incredible amount of theft, so throughout the year we had been stockpiling “locking, theft-proof” peg hooks for our controllers from other stores.

Over time, we’d managed to get enough so that every controller and accessory in the store was theft proof… Until the District Manager arrived to give his pre-holiday inspection.

We being his only real non-mall store, the locked up merchandise seemed wrong because it wasn’t “convenient” for the customer.

$2500 dollars in accessories was stolen in the first month. The thefts were mostly blamed on the staff and we were all individually questioned and then fired that following January. The same district manager still works there to this day.

Geth on

• Options
    ZolafZolaf Registered User new member
    Poor Isaac. I've never understood why everyone thinks he's an asshole. I've always found him very relatable.

• Options
    InithraInithra Registered User new member
    Ok, I get why so many testers put up with appalling conditions - sorta - but that? Firing you all for suspected theft? I'd challenge that. Either they have some proof they can charge you with, or they give you the damn job back. If it were me, I'd resign the very next second, but eff just letting them screw me.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    More importantly, document the manager's decree that the locks be removed. Bonus points if you can show the amount of shrinkage before and after.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    A reoccurring theme in the Tales are people who either don't know their rights or can't be arsed to do anything about them.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    A reoccurring theme in the Tales are people who either don't know their rights or can't be arsed to do anything about them.

The optimist in me thinks it's the former.

How would one address this? Where can one be fully educated on how employment law works?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Inithra wrote: »
    Ok, I get why so many testers put up with appalling conditions - sorta - but that? Firing you all for suspected theft? I'd challenge that. Either they have some proof they can charge you with, or they give you the damn job back. If it were me, I'd resign the very next second, but eff just letting them screw me.
    Who are you going to challange that too? In most cases it is removal without cause so you get unemployment, and really what they are firing for isn't theft as it is missing product. Now if they said we are firing you for theft (suspected or otherwise) you may have a tort, but it would be expensive to collect, but most HR people aren't that retarded. When I worked for 7-11 the policy was if more than $50 a day in product was unnacounted for during their quarterly audit, they would fire all of the employees except the manager. The manager would get a write up. If it happened again they would fire the manager. Their reasoning was, the employees are either suspected of theft or too incompitent to stop thefts occuring in the store, and either way they didn't want them.

zepherin on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This happened to me. It was wal mart so I weighed the extended court battle where I might get enough to cover lawyer fees versus just saying fuck it.

In this case though firing the entire staff like that to cover his ass is definitely worth a lawsuit.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    More importantly, document the manager's decree that the locks be removed. Bonus points if you can show the amount of shrinkage before and after.

You do this in retail and the dm/gm will make your life a nightmare if they dont just fire you for "any reason" to stop you from making them look bad.

This seems like the general thought in retail. first week in from college and working at radioshack again for the summer, we did an inventory of the store. Manager finds a empty $5 usb drive container that someone must have gutted and walked out of the store with. She walks over to me screaming about loosing the $5 product on my watch and noones stolen from the store. My first response: "when was the last time you did inventory? when was that stolen? I dont think ive even ever seen that product in the store" last time they did inventory, it was like a year. I had been there a week. The store only had that one product stolen it turned out after we were done with inventory. I honestly wouldn't of been surprized if she didnt steal it, as she just happened to find the package by digging hard under a shelf to yank out the package while scanning products.

edit: I am calling it now, isaac was a famous guy in the industry, and used a different name at the time. thats why noone recognizes him or knows his name.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edit: I am calling it now, isaac was a famous guy in the industry, and used a different name at the time. thats why noone recognizes him or knows his name.

Wasn't that explicitly stated in the first arc? He called himself "I.C." or something and make a real stinker.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yes, Isaac was a developer, seemingly an at least semi-well-known one, with a number of titles under his belt. One was stated to be Starfire Saga V: Laserion, and there were other titles given I don't remember.

I don't quite follow the dialogue in this one. "Other than that, my story is exactly the same." Other than what? It would almost make more sense if Isaac's speech reads right to left so that the "A temporary personal failure..." line comes first.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I think "Other than that, my story is exactly the same" is intended to be sarcastic.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I don't quite follow the dialogue in this one. "Other than that, my story is exactly the same." Other than what? It would almost make more sense if Isaac's speech reads right to left so that the "A temporary personal failure..." line comes first.

The joke is that his story is "exactly the same" except everything she said ("other than that"; 'that' being all she spoke of).
    So his story is nothing alike hers. Hence the paradox and the joke.
    Essentially, Issac is narcissistic egotistical asshole. That's the joke.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I feel like Trenches is written in an unknown language that has words homophonous to English, but with completely different meanings

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular

There's probably a pretty low point of diminishing returns for fighting for a gamestop-level job.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    "A reoccurring theme in the Tales are people who either don't know their rights or can't be arsed to do anything about them. "

It depends on where you live. In some places the rights that the employee has in no way exceed basic human rights. Take for example the state that I live in, South Carolina. An employer in SC can fire you for any reason, or no reason at all. The only employment laws that apply are the national civil rights laws which cover discrimination and whistle-blowers. It's tough to win a suit in those arenas, even if the firing was because of discrimination or whistle-blowing. And furthermore, if you did win such a suit, what does it gain you? You get to keep your crappy minimum-wage job, only to be laid off 24 hours later because of "over-staffing"? More than likely the real reason for the firing was to cover the manager ass. The reason given to the employees was theft. And the reason stated on the termination documents was left blank.

Simply put, the US (particularly the southern and western states) have shitty employment laws. The only thing that protects workers here are unions. And that's why it's such a sad situation that they have grown too greedy over the decades. Unions which were once the engines of change that brought about the 40 hour work week, over time pay, health and safety standards, and so much else that we take for granted these days, now get a bad rap. On the other hand from the employers point of view if the employment laws were more strict then they would find it too difficult to prune back the dead wood without making a federal case about it.

Like most real world problems there are no easy answers. Just realize that if you lack marketable skills and experience you will be exploited by employers looking for cheap expendable labor. Learn a marketable skill, or go into business for yourself.

• Options
    JohnnyricoMCJohnnyricoMC Registered User regular
    Sounds familiar, I worked at an electronics store for 2 years and 3 summers. The boss had no clue about what was going on in the store. Security cameras were aimed at the staff areas rather than all areas, stock was bought without thinking (huge pile of DVD's), when something's out of stock that sells well we were basically boned. And if sales were low, it was our fault even though people did come in but we simply didn't have what they needed.

That store is closed now. Miraculously, it's not because of the boss' poor management but because the letter didn't want to renew the rental contract.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gamestops also have an absurd amount of demand because teens think working at a video game store would be a fun way to make some money.

Then they experience their first Black Friday.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Gamestops also have an absurd amount of demand because teens think working at a video game store would be a fun way to make some money.

Then they experience their first Black Friday.
    I thought that way too. I did a 6 month tour of duty at media play in the video games/multimedia department. I served on the front lines during a black Friday, during the year the PS2 came out, we lost good men that day. Johnny was never able to walk again after that. Now I work in the government. Way less stressful

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Ori Klein wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »

The joke is that his story is "exactly the same" except everything she said ("other than that"; 'that' being all she spoke of).
    So his story is nothing alike hers. Hence the paradox and the joke.
    Essentially, Issac is narcissistic egotistical asshole. That's the joke.

In my head it plays out like Isaac never stopped talking, he just barreled into his own story right after asking the question. So when she's finished her story it cuts back to him and he's wrapping up an entire practiced spiel.

• Options
    J-mentalJ-mental Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So like... how incredibly lucky am I that the managers and various bosses I have worked for in my life have actually treated me like some form of a human being? I mean, I'm not saying they were all super nice guys and we got along but no one was viciously and aggressively attempting to completely fuck me over for their own personal gain like in these stories. I've worked for several chains, several private companies, I've never seen anything like the stories we get every single week about how some manager or middle management guys sneaks in your house, cooks your puppy in your oven, eats it, and then makes you clean up after them before they fire you and get awarded 4 billion dollars for firing someone.

What the hell? I'm starting to think 99 percent of these stories are bullshit.

J-mental on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Someone who has a story like "I worked as a tester for several months, worked on a few games, it was boring/average/a good experience, then I left voluntarily for something else" isn't going to send that in. By the nature of the medium the stories we get will be from people complaining about a bad experience they had.

But back to anecdotal evidence, yes, if you work in the video game industry at a low level and have a manager who treats you like a human being you are incredibly lucky.

• Options
    azmod2000azmod2000 Registered User regular
    J-mental wrote: »
    So like... how incredibly lucky am I that the managers and various bosses I have worked for in my life have actually treated me like some form of a human being? I mean, I'm not saying they were all super nice guys and we got along but no one was viciously and aggressively attempting to completely fuck me over for their own personal gain like in these stories. I've worked for several chains, several private companies, I've never seen anything like the stories we get every single week about how some manager or middle management guys sneaks in your house, cooks your puppy in your oven, eats it, and then makes you clean up after them before they fire you and get awarded 4 billion dollars for firing someone.

What the hell? I'm starting to think 99 percent of these stories are bullshit.

I never experienced stuff that extreme myself but then I am not a tester or working retail. I lived through instances where my bosses hanged me out to dry for their personal reasons but I was not entirely blameless in those situations.

My best friend works in retail and he has plenty of stories of management making stupid decisions that would make his job hell if it was not for the fact that the store chain is unionized and the union fights them on the really stupid (and usually illegal) stuff.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I've certainly worked at places where the whole concept of workers' rights was fairly ridiculous to even the workers; that much of the Tales corresponds to reality from where I'm sitting. I tend to think the blatant sinister ass-covering that often allegedly goes on with the villains of the Tales is exaggerated. At any rate, I have never heard someone say "I was fired because I fucked up real bad." or "I was fired because my employer has limited resources and I was no longer an asset." There always seems to be dark forces at work.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Aurich wrote: »
    I've certainly worked at places where the whole concept of workers' rights was fairly ridiculous to even the workers; that much of the Tales corresponds to reality from where I'm sitting. I tend to think the blatant sinister ass-covering that often allegedly goes on with the villains of the Tales is exaggerated. At any rate, I have never heard someone say "I was fired because I fucked up real bad." or "I was fired because my employer has limited resources and I was no longer an asset." There always seems to be dark forces at work.
    What is interesting about a Tales where the thrust of the story is "I fucked up and got fired."?

That's the expected thing, and the point of the Tales is to show the abuses of employees in the system. My brother tried to explained how Gamestop paid him (they don't use your HUMAN concept of "paychecks") and my eyes glazed over and I wondered how this was fucking legal.

EDIT: Also, anonymity or not, few people are going to submit stories that cast them in the role of doofus.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    What is interesting about a Tales where the thrust of the story is "I fucked up and got fired."?

That's the expected thing, and the point of the Tales is to show the abuses of employees in the system. My brother tried to explained how Gamestop paid him (they don't use your HUMAN concept of "paychecks") and my eyes glazed over and I wondered how this was fucking legal.

EDIT: Also, anonymity or not, few people are going to submit stories that cast them in the role of doofus.
    I'm only saying that while it's absolutely true that people get stuck with jobs where they have to work too hard for too long, employers usually hang on to folks who put up with that. When the story ends with "And then I got fired for no reason" or "And then I got fired so my boss could cover his own ass" you're starting to deal with half-truths (to put it diplomatically). That's my experience anyway.

• Options
    Except game QA is a very temporary position, and management is very eager to get rid of expenses where they can. They don't need to hang onto you, because of the persistent delusion that working in the games industry is SO MUCH FUN and a way to get into the industry. Throw in a bad economy, and you have tons of people willing to work shitty hours for shittier pay. Maybe in other jobs it's a virtue, but in fucked-up industries like video games, being treated like a pack animal seems like the norm.

Although I will agree that we will get a lot of exaggerations if not fabrications. These are anonymous letters from people who are a bit bitter about losing their jobs.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    killer.zombierobotkiller.zombierobot Registered User new member
    It does seem like many of the testing horror stories fail to take into account the temporary nature of the job. If you worked at a pumpkin patch, you shouldn't be all that shocked to be let go in November. I can completely believe this story about the retail side of things, I've heard similar stories from friends who worked at GameStop and Circuit City. I think that's why none of them work retail any more, very few people can make a long term career out of it.

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    So like... how incredibly lucky am I that the managers and various bosses I have worked for in my life have actually treated me like some form of a human being?
    Quite lucky indeed.
    I have never heard someone say "I was fired because I fucked up real bad." or "I was fired because my employer has limited resources and I was no longer an asset." There always seems to be dark forces at work.

I have, quite a lot. At motivational speeches and people talking about their learning and growing up experiences, maturing as a professional, so on.
    The gist of it is always basically: You're going to make a lot of mistakes along the way, learn from them and don't be afraid to try and fail and make them...just don't repeat them afterwards.

However, when it comes to Internet Stories, the interest is in horrible or extreme experiences which many may relate to. The purpose is not to teach you something, other than I suppose "watch out and know your rights and responsibilities".
    It's mainly a black-humour form of entertainment. And that's the purpose of Tales from the Trenches here. To 'entertain'.

If you want to hear about people admitting to fucking up, then you should see some professionals speaking of their early career.
    Although you'd be unlikely to find a manager-level person ever admitting fault.

• Options
    J-mentalJ-mental Registered User regular
    Ori Klein wrote: »
    So like... how incredibly lucky am I that the managers and various bosses I have worked for in my life have actually treated me like some form of a human being?
    Quite lucky indeed.

I am going to have to be the jackass bad guy right now and just say that at that point it's the employees fault. I'm not a badass or anything but I just simply refuse to work for someone who doesn't show me some basic sense of respect. THere have been one or two times when I realized the person I was working for was a complete jackass and wasn't respecting what I felt my 'rights' were. I didn't make a stand or a big scene. I simply looked for another job, found one, and quit on their asses.

And yeah, I have worked in jobs where I was a 'temporary' hand. Where I had to get it 'on the ground level' for less than minimum wage then given ridiculous goals to achieve as soon as I was about to hit a point where I was going to receive a raise. One such thing was a transcribing agency for financial businesses. My QA basically walked over to me at the end of a certain week and said "Your doing a great job! I'll see you next week!" then sent me an email that night that said my errors were too high and I needed to transcribe the next week without having a single error in any of my transcripts.

Something like that simply isn't possible at the speed that they demand you to transcribe at (Somewhere around ninety words a minute) and, of course, I got about four errors that week and got canned.

• Options
    I have seen people get totally screwed and be fired, and I have seen people who think that way, but really deserved a good firing. "You mean when I'm late every day bitch about coworkers and I'm a slow at my job, how did I get fired." That conversation rarely happens.

However and this is something everyone here should heed with project based work expect to be laid off at the end of the project if you haven't been tasked, briefed, assigned, etc with another project. Its not just video game development either, research and constrution do that when projects are finished.