As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency Battle Royale: Coliseum Edition

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Truman dropped the bomb on the Japanese, killing hundreds of thousands of civilians. But we don't call him the worst president for killing them, in part because they weren't American citizens. Neither were the Indians. The interment is the worst of these acts IMO because it was perpetrated by the US government against its people.

On topic, I think people may fear Truman because he made the choice to drop the bomb. If he could choose to kill all those people, who knows what he is capable of.

War is hell. Far more people died in fire bombing campaigns throughout the war.

What was America supposed to do about the Indians though? There was tremendous pressure from citizens who wanted the land, we were much more powerful than them, and we didn't risk facing real national censure for seizing the land from them, even though they were sovereign nations. We could have warred with them and taken the land, but we still would have had to force them to completely leave. I don't see why forcing them to leave without warring with them would be worse. Ultimately, manifest destiny meant our occupation of their lands was inevitable. By contrast, the Japanese were citizens entitled to protection by the US government, and that government not only failed to protect them, but actually affirmatively violated their rights.

I guess our land shouldn't have dressed so sluttily.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;
    (b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
    (c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
    (d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
    (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

For reference, the international definition of genocide. Trail of Tears: genocide! Japanese internment: terrible and un-American, but falls well short of genocide.

You don't think it caused serious mental harm to AMericans of Japanese descent? There is a reason the US govnt payed 1.6B in reparations.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    ...It's seriously not that complex of an idea

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Speaker wrote: »
    U.S. Grant.

Ulysses+S.+Grant.jpg

He's here huckleberry.

Smashed the Confederacy and the Ku Klux Klan - will smash Jackson. Also, real military experience rather than riding to the top of San Juan Hill with other New York gentlemen and reporters after it was taken by actual soldiers.

He was also really really squeamish in actual combat. He really didn't like the sight of blood. I remember an anecdote that he refused to eat meat that wasn't well-done because the juices reminded him too much of blood.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I would think that any modern president without military experience would go down really fast here, because the world is just a safer place now than it used to be, and even an athletic guy like Obama probably has very little real world fighting experience.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Teddy gets it based not only on personal combat experience but also youth. He was only 42 when elected. Washington was 56 or 58, and those were harder years.
    wait, what? I thought the constitution mandated 45 min?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    35. William Jennings Brian was 36 when he lost in 1896

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

And you seem to be ignoring
    (b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group

Which would qualify it as genocide...

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't understand this definition of genocide. Is a war of conquest automatically a genocide? Is Hamas a genocidal group, because their intent is to destroy Israel? Why is it genocide to move the Indians from their land to different land pursuant to a treaty they negotiated with the Federal government? Also, do all of the presidents in the battle royal have genocidal intentions, since they are planning on wiping out the group of "presidents of the US?"

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Why is it genocide to move the Indians from their land to different land pursuant to a treaty they negotiated with the Federal government?

Because the move itself was deadly.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Nevertheless, the treaty, passed by Congress by a single vote, and signed into law by President Andrew Jackson, was imposed by his successor President Martin Van Buren who allowed Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Alabama an armed force of 7,000 made up of militia, regular army, and volunteers under General Winfield Scott to round up about 13,000 Cherokees into concentration camps at the U.S. Indian Agency near Cleveland, Tennessee before being sent to the West. Most of the deaths occurred from disease, starvation and cold in these camps. Their homes were burned and their property destroyed and plundered.

Then they made the survivors walk 1000 miles in the winter. Along the way they were given smallpox blankets. You know, to help with the cold.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    LBJ.

Tall. Strong. From Texas. Favorite recreational activities included eating poisonous spiders, bombing small Asian countries, and outliving all the good Kennedys.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This may be late but my money is on Andrew Jackson. The man was tougher than most armies. Even had a bullet in him as president from a duel. Easily could take all comers in hand to hand. And the vitriol from his mouth would even make TR blush. Also because he was a dick.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I think all the draft dodger presidents might get taken down hard and fast by the military men. I would imagine TR, Washington, Grant, Jackson etc. would be disgusted by that behavior.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Wait, is Grant going to be sober for this? Because that make him a tough fight for Jackson. If now, well then he gets pushed down the list. Also Lincoln may not of been a military man but he was tough.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Grant is actually a master of drunken kung fu

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

You're missing the intent bit in the opening clause, which makes it an argument again.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I think all the draft dodger presidents might get taken down hard and fast by the military men. I would imagine TR, Washington, Grant, Jackson etc. would be disgusted by that behavior.

Which presidents were draft dodgers besides Clinton?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Cleveland, for one.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Cleveland, for one.

Bush 2, obviously.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Cleveland, for one.

Bush 2, obviously.

Wasn't he in the National Guard? I'm not a Bush apologist, but someone had to serve in the guard. It's not as glorified as actually fighting, but I wouldn't go so far as to compare him to a draft dodger.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

Cleveland, for one.

Bush 2, obviously.

Wasn't he in the National Guard? I'm not a Bush apologist, but someone had to serve in the guard. It's not as glorified as actually fighting, but I wouldn't go so far as to compare him to a draft dodger.

The point bum brings up relates to some controversy that arose in 2004 regarding whether or not Pres. George W. Bush fulfilled his the terms of his six year service obligation. There's a few things about his service record which I think are questionable, but I wouldn't call it draft dodging. Primarily because I think that terming that draft dodging cheapens the degree of draft dodging that his running mate, Dick Cheney, sunk to.

• Options
    edited September 2012

You're missing the intent bit in the opening clause, which makes it an argument again.

... it seemed pretty intentional.

EDIT

To expound on that a bit, I don't really think the Trail of Tears was to wipe out Indians, but to deal with a problem (Indians had land and we had to do something to get that land and clear them out) while culling them... which is more horrific than internment camps to be sure, but it was also at a different time. Similar to how calling someone the N word 2 centuries ago has more to do with the social envirnoment than it would be now, where you're probably just a racist.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    SammyF wrote: »

Cleveland, for one.

Bush 2, obviously.

The point bum brings up relates to some controversy that arose in 2004 regarding whether or not Pres. George W. Bush fulfilled his the terms of his six year service obligation. There's a few things about his service record which I think are questionable, but I wouldn't call it draft dodging. Primarily because I think that terming that draft dodging cheapens the degree of draft dodging that his running mate, Dick Cheney, sunk to.

Pulling strings via your daddy to get in the national guard is dodging the draft.

• Options

EDIT

To expound on that a bit, I don't really think the Trail of Tears was to wipe out Indians, but to deal with a problem (Indians had land and we had to do something to get that land and clear them out) while culling them... which is more horrific than internment camps to be sure, but it was also at a different time. Similar to how calling someone the N word 2 centuries ago has more to do with the social envirnoment than it would be now, where you're probably just a racist.

Also, the Japanese were citizens, and the Indians were not. . . That seems pretty important to me.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Trail of tears was more an ethnic cleansing with genocidal tendencies

Forced migration constitutes genocide - per definition of the word. So yeah, it was.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012

EDIT

Also, the Japanese were citizens, and the Indians were not. . . That seems pretty important to me.

It shouldn't.

It's not less genocidal just because they can't vote.

President Obama carpet nuking China (assume that no one retaliates via MADD or international sanctions) is worse than him directing the NSA to read all email from Arab Americans [T/F]

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Trail of tears was more an ethnic cleansing with genocidal tendencies

Forced migration constitutes genocide - per definition of the word. So yeah, it was.

...aaaaactually, it doesn't.

I'm not going into SKFM's deliriums here (yeah, as AMFE, let Obama nuke the Chinese because they're not citizens), but "genocide" is somewhat of a poisoned word. If you follow the legal definition of the word "genocide", Stalin's killings in Poland and Ukraine (with the partial exception of the Holodomor) aren't "genocide", since the killings were politically motivated.

Long story short, IMHO Timothy Snyder had the right idea when he wrote Bloodlands: discard the word entirely, and describe mass killings as, well, mass killings.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I can't find it now, but I can swear I have seen it included in the definition when this discussion was last going on.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

EDIT

It shouldn't.

It's not less genocidal just because they can't vote.

President Obama carpet nuking China (assume that no one retaliates via MADD or international sanctions) is worse than him directing the NSA to read all email from Arab Americans [T/F]

It depends. If it helps America to nuke China to hell, then that is better than breaching the rights of US citizens as an action by the POTUS. As a man, maybe he is worse for carpet bombing China, but as the president, he absolutely has to put American citizens first.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I can't find it now, but I can swear I have seen it included in the definition when this discussion was last going on.

What happened to the Native Americans can almost certainly be counted as a genocide, but I guess if we want to boil it down to legaleze, the trail of tears itself isn't.

To my mind this is a retarded splitting of hairs, but this is where we find ourselves.

But more to the topic, since it's been a couple pages since I said it.

Theodore Roosevelt.

Always Theodore Roosevelt.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Actually at the time of Japanese internment the general notion of 'if you aren't white you aren't one of us' was still pretty goddamn overwhelmingly common so even I by law they were citizens it doesn't mean they were viewed by society as 'us'.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    Actually at the time of Japanese internment the general notion of 'if you aren't white you aren't one of us' was still pretty goddamn overwhelmingly common so even I by law they were citizens it doesn't mean they were viewed by society as 'us'.

All of our citizens are entitled to protection under the law, not just the popular ones.

What do people who think we were wrong on the trail of tears think we should have done? We were stronger, we wanted the land, they had. The rest of the world was not going to censure us for taking it. Should we have just let them keep it forever? Were we equally wrong for strong arming Spain into giving us Florida?

Jackson always makes top 10 lists, and I'm pretty sure most of the time it isn't because he was an unkillable demon of a man.

• Options
    Yeah we could have let them keep the land, it's called the right thing to do. You're basically advocating israeli policy on settlement camps.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    What's the story with GM. I keep seeing people saying that GM is dying again.

• Options

All of our citizens are entitled to protection under the law, not just the popular ones.

What do people who think we were wrong on the trail of tears think we should have done? We were stronger, we wanted the land, they had. The rest of the world was not going to censure us for taking it. Should we have just let them keep it forever? Were we equally wrong for strong arming Spain into giving us Florida?

Jackson always makes top 10 lists, and I'm pretty sure most of the time it isn't because he was an unkillable demon of a man.

You've got a lot of nice things. If I'm stronger than you and no one is going to stop me, can I just come into your house and take them?

You're a lawyer, you should be able to suss out why people are having this reaction.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    President "The Blob" Taft. All he has to do is jump on his opponent.

• Options

You've got a lot of nice things. If I'm stronger than you and no one is going to stop me, can I just come into your house and take them?

You're a lawyer, you should be able to suss out why people are having this reaction.

You won't because I will call the police and they will apprehend you for violating the law. International law doesn't really work that way even now, and it certainly did not then.

The US government could have declared war on each sovereign tribe and conquered them all (again) and kicked them out. Instead, we pursued a diplomatic solution.

I ask again, we're we wrong on Florida?

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Or the us government could have adequately provided a better means of transportation and resOurces and maybe even a goddamn livable piece of land.

You know. They could.

• Options
    I forget the part about us making all the Spanish and British in Florida go on a death march halfway across a continent.

You're looking to bring us down a specious garden path, I'm not feeling like going for a walk just now.

Lh96QHG.png