As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM GREENLIGHT] New rules added, check the OP

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Four more titles greenlit including Papers, Please which owns. From the post:
    We have decided to Greenlight a smaller batch this time, so we can move more quickly. There are lots of titles getting attention, so we are likely to continue Greenlighting titles in this quicker, but smaller batch fashion.

These titles were selected on the same criteria we have been using in the past: Votes in Greenlight give us a hugely valuable point of data in gauging community interest along with external factors such as press reviews, crowd-funding successes, performance on other platforms, and awards and contests to help form a more complete picture of community interest in each title.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yep, it's a work in progress. As long as Valve and developers keep working at it together we just might end up with something that could change the way people think about publishing in general across all forms of media.

Also Wolfire, the Receiver (among other things) devs, posted an interesting bit on their blog about their experience with the Greenlight process.

Drake on
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Huh, I'm surprised to see Venetica there. It's been on Greenlight for almost as long as the service has been around and a lot of reviews slammed it. Still, I'm happy that it will be available through Steam because I've been wanting to try it and the demo is only in German.

Maybe this means there's hope for Jane Jensen's Gray Matter, which has also been sitting in greenlight limbo for ages.

soempty.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Holy shit, why hasn't that popped up in my queue yet?! That looks fucking great! So much of that is working for me stylistically. The art and the music especially. Notably the romantic bits at the start of the trailer are actually pretty sexy without going into the usual territory.

brb greenlighting Gray Matter

Drake on
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Papers, Please... the hell is this?
    Glory to Arstotzka!

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Modern day Road Rash? Yes, please! Check out Road Redemption. The trailer is probably scripted but it still looks awesome.

Yes yes yes! I've been wondering for a while now why nobody has made a modern-day Road Rash, and now somebody has/is. This gets my vote.

A trailer for Papers, Please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QP5X6fcukM

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    What's the incentive for letting anyone in?

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    What's the incentive for letting anyone in?

You get money which you need to keep your family fed and healthy. I just watched the WTF Is of it today, looks awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brTJzrXQVLU

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    cheevos

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    If you havn't played the beta/demo for Papers, Please, DO SO. It's amazing.

Would recommend you play it blind without watching any of the videos, though, for maximum effect.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    So the Greenlight chat with Valve just happened. It was a nice gesture, but that's basically all it was - the entire takeaway was "we're working on it" and they didn't answer any particularly tough questions.

Choice quotes:
    TomB [Valve]: @Lacabra: QUESTION: You've said before that you're currently Greenlighting the max number of games you have the resources to Greenlight. What's behind this artificial shelf space scarcity?

A: - Unfortunately, we have limited resources at the moment, so we cannot ship every game that we want. We're working towards having an open platform that Gabe has talked about, but we're not there yet.
    09:43 PM - TomB [Valve]: @Wild_2012: QUESTION @VALVE : I'm the founder of Wild Games Studio, our game "Day One : Garry's Incident" is in the TOP 15 of Greenlight since January and you don't choose our game? Is it possible that you never choose us? - After every Greenlight, we look at the top games again, as well as others that "stand out." If your game was not picked in the last batch, it doesn't mean that we will never pick your game.
    09:43 PM - Sheado.net entered chat.
    09:43 PM - TeraBit entered chat.
    09:43 PM - Lacabra: TomB: It is, however, totally possible that you'll never pick his game?
    09:43 PM - Trunks: If votes aren't a clear metric of what should get greenlit, what's the point of ranking them at all?
    09:43 PM - Alden [Valve]: @bogdan_galati09: Bottom Line:You guys should Greenlit more games,not just a few,not everyone could go to game festivals: Answer: We would like to Greenlight more items, but can't at this moment as a result of hard technical limits in how our tools and systems are currently set up. We're really trying to do this, and we're actively working on it, but it hard and is a lot of work.

edited May 2013
    A little more clarity on these hard technical limits would be nice. Otherwise, regardless of any truth in the comment, it ends up sounding like bullshit. I know Valve has always enjoyed playing things close to the vest but if they really want to engage an open system then clarity will have to become part of the process.

Still, my hats off to them just for the attempt. I'm sure that there are all kinds of unforeseeable obstacles for them. And technical limitations may not solely be technological in nature. Possible legal issues could fit in here. Here's to hoping that both sides can muddle their way through this to the promised land.

Drake on
  • CrunchingKoalasCrunchingKoalas Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    To be honest- the meeting was pretty ridiculous. They should've done it better.

I just finished cleaning the chat transcript, so if someone would like to read it or get a brief summary of what happend, here it is:
    https://crunchingkoalas.com/improving_steam_greenlight_aka_complete_waste_of_time/

May it serve you well.

PS. If you're not interested in details, just start from the summary and then decide whether you're ready to read the whole script.

Cheers,
    Tom

CrunchingKoalas on
    Somewhere in the Valve HQ there is a sticky note on someone's desk that reads "note to self: next time I program a deployment system for video games, do not add any hard technical limits." Like what the fuck is Valve even talking about? How is Greenlighting a game any different from releasing any other game, a process Valve does constantly? There are tons of games on Greenlight that would've just gone through the old system before Greenlight was a thing. Why is there suddenly a hard limit?

Somewhere in the Valve HQ there is a sticky note on someone's desk that reads "note to self: next time I program a deployment system for video games, do not add any hard technical limits." Like what the fuck is Valve even talking about? How is Greenlighting a game any different from releasing any other game, a process Valve does constantly? There are tons of games on Greenlight that would've just gone through the old system before Greenlight was a thing. Why is there suddenly a hard limit?

IMO, it's pretty obvious- nowadays there are tons of games on Steam that would have NOT gone through the old system. Ergo- there is no space for some games that deserve attention.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

IMO, it's pretty obvious- nowadays there are tons of games on Steam that would have NOT gone through the old system. Ergo- there is no space for some games that deserve attention.

"Space"

It's not like they're running a warehouse here.

It's digital distribution.

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    Maddoc wrote: »
    "Space"

Yeah, but imagine they publish all the games, it would look like Google Play market or Gamersgate. 10%-20% of games would be decent or better and the rest would be total crap.

Sumanaitestsubject23Achire
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    But what space is this? The storefront images spam? Event sale space? Daily deal space? Weeklong sales seem to have been created for the smaller games that don't warrant focused sales promotions. The only "space" they could be limited on is promotional stuff, and if that's their concern, Valve is in serious trouble because that matches Microsoft's line of thinking when it comes to indie games. I mean, they've greenlit several mods. These things aren't going to make them much money outside the occassional "I am the last person to not own Half Life 2 and that's needed to run the mod" situations.

Corpekata on
    TychoCelchuuuBrocksMullet
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    "Space"

Yeah, but imagine they publish all the games, it would look like Google Play market or Gamersgate. 10%-20% of games would be decent or better and the rest would be total crap.

Because major publishers who have no issue releasing games on Steam never release absolute garbage.

I mean given the option between them releasing basically everything on Greenlight, or carefully curating Greenlight via some arcane rules that seem to have more to do with a dart board than any fan interest or quality control and then releasing stuff like the latest Star Trek game and Aliens Colonial Marines.

Well, I'd be totally okay with having to sift through some bad games released by indies alongside even worse games released by major publishers.

DrakeLaCabra
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I mean, I do get the need to throttle stuff a bit. If they tossed everything on the store at once, the clutter would be a bad development and probably wouldn't help sales. They want to make the greenlit stuff stand out. I get it. What I don't get is the bouncing around and random picking. It makes no sense that Venetica was greenlit. It's got terrible reviews, didn't sell well, and doesn't have a real following. Look at the pages for it, and some of the standout titles that have been skipped. Venetica has 500 comments, no announcements, and barely any discussion. That's really low for a greenlit title. Like, I checked my favorites and every single one has more except for Dominions 3 and that's a really niche title and it has almost as much. There's no way there's more demand for that over some of these games like Stardew Valley that are getting 2000+ comments and have people active on their pages.

Corpekata on
    MaddocTychoCelchuuu
    Corpekata wrote: »
    But what space is this? The storefront images spam? Event sale space? Daily deal space?

It's not really the space, but the profitability of publishing a game. Every developer that publishes a game through Steam must sign a deal with Valve, they handle the refunds and support, provide servers and many other things that requires work of Valve employees. Work that costs money - no wonder they don't want to have all the games in the store.

Also, I think that most developers would oppose to your solution- if all the games were accepted to Steam, it would be really difficult for the developers to get discovered by the players.

Yeah the problem isn't so much that they're picking and choosing, so much as there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what is being Greenlit.

CrunchingKoalasLaCabra
    I doubt there is much rhyme or reason to it right now. They are probably taking several different approaches to this process. I really do get a sense that this is more difficult than they thought it'd be. I'm sure that the WarZ release was informative for Valve's current Greenlight practices, and probably put a lot of brakes into position.

I really do wish there was more clarity here, but perhaps even that could be damaging at this point.

edited May 2013
    Yeah the problem isn't so much that they're picking and choosing, so much as there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what is being Greenlit.

Also, there is no clear rule on "Who has to do the Greenlight?". For example, let's look at Reus (the game looks great, by the way). It's the first game of the studio, but it has been accepted to Steam without the Greenlight.

Personally I have nothing against it, but I would like to know that there are possibilities like this one.

CrunchingKoalas on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    "Space"

Because major publishers who have no issue releasing games on Steam never release absolute garbage.

See also:Bad Rats

steam_sig.png
    TychoCelchuuu
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    "Space"

Ironically, I'm sure Bad Rats sells quite well since a lot of people bought it as joke/gag gifts.

TeeMan
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Catshade wrote: »
    "Space"

Ironically, I'm sure Bad Rats sells quite well since a lot of people bought it as joke/gag gifts.

See: the Steam thread

they've single-handedly funded Bad Rats 2, 3, and 4 by now I'm sure of it

That is why I don't approve of joke gifts

Darmak
    Catshade wrote: »
    "Space"

Does anyone do that outside of this forum?

Oh yeah. It's not just a thing here. It's been done enough to fund Bad Rats 2.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I just had a strange thought. What if Bad Rats 2 is actually good?

Then it will have to go through Greenlight somehow and it will never get approved because it's not a Steampunk game, a zombie game, a Slenderman game, a Minecraft clone, or Venetica (the five categories of games that get Greenlit).

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Or a piece of software!

camo_sig2.png
    GethTychoCelchuuu
    Then it will have to go through Greenlight somehow and it will never get approved because it's not a Steampunk game, a zombie game, a Slenderman game, a Minecraft clone, or Venetica (the five categories of games that get Greenlit).

Don't forget games associated with popular "Youtube Celebrities"

Because let's face it if they had any other names, the AVGN and Yogscast games would have sat on Greenlight forever.

Drake
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

I want me some Wang...

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular

I want me some Wang...
    "You want to wash Wang? Or you want to watch Wang wash Wang?"

In truth, I've never played Shadow Warrior despite being a huge Duke 3D fan (yeah, I know it's on GOG, so no excuse, blah-blah-blah). I'm just not sure why it would need to do something like that to drum up interest in the new one. It just clutters up the list of titles waiting to be voted on.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I'm actually amazed that we don't have a thread for this game yet, but has anyone been looking into Rogue Legacy? It's a side-scrolling action Rogue-'lite' as they call it. There are randomly generated levels to explore to gain money and power in your attempts to kill the bosses of all 4 areas and unlock the final area. Every time you die you choose an heir to succeed you. Heirs have a random class and some random traits that make them unique. Your equipment gets passed down to your heirs so in that way the game has persistent progression. You also upgrade your family keep between deaths which unlocks various benefits that persist for your lineage as well.

The Greenlight page is at: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136969358&searchtext=rogue+legacy

Northernlion also took a look at the game recently:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ih2hzvdTxU

And I just saw from a tweet that the game is available for pre-order from their website now which provides a DRM-free copy of the game, the soundtrack as well as a Steam key whenever the game becomes available on Steam. Not bad for $10! Pre-orders available at http://www.cellardoorgames.com/roguelegacy.html

RoyceSraphim