As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM GREENLIGHT] New rules added, check the OP

• PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    Catshade wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    "Space"

It's not like they're running a warehouse here.

It's digital distribution.

Yeah, but imagine they publish all the games, it would look like Google Play market or Gamersgate. 10%-20% of games would be decent or better and the rest would be total crap.

Because major publishers who have no issue releasing games on Steam never release absolute garbage.

See also:Bad Rats

Ironically, I'm sure Bad Rats sells quite well since a lot of people bought it as joke/gag gifts.

Does anyone do that outside of this forum?

I know they do it on Something Awful as well.

• CrunchingKoalasCrunchingKoalas Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Thx for linking, but actually I posted this link like 10 posts ago ;D.
    I just finished cleaning the chat transcript, so if someone would like to read it or get a brief summary of what happend, here it is:
    https://crunchingkoalas.com/improving_steam_greenlight_aka_complete_waste_of_time/

May it serve you well.

PS. If you're not interested in details, just start from the summary and then decide whether you're ready to read the whole script.

CrunchingKoalas on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That's a very good point.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I have a strong gut feeling that coverage and hype on popular gaming sites matters a hell of a lot more than any user votes for actually getting Greenlit

The only snag in this theory is Venetica which just defies all explanation

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I have a strong gut feeling that coverage and hype on popular gaming sites matters a hell of a lot more than any user votes for actually getting Greenlit

The only snag in this theory is Venetica which just defies all explanation
    I can say that is at least partially not true.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    According to all the statistcs, votes do matter in terms of top 10. If any more games gets Greenlit, than it's something else that was the key reason (it could be media covarage, strong community or the name of the developer).

• LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Votes are what gets you up the ranks, but getting you up there doesn't guarantee they're going to greenlight you ever

edited May 2013
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Votes are what gets you up the ranks, but getting you up there doesn't guarantee they're going to greenlight you ever

Well that's pretty obvious ;). Valve is a private company and they can do whatever they want, they don't have a legal obligation or anything to publish your game ;).

CrunchingKoalas on
    ...so? I was just agreeing with Maddoc that "hype on popular gaming sites matters a hell of a lot more than any user votes for actually getting Greenlit".

;););)

Valve could shut down Steam and destroy our ability to play all our games ;)

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So, I don't usually post in this thread but: Long Live the Queen the time management based Princess simulator in which you die a lot is on greenlight. It's by Hanako games who have already got Magical Diary on Steam.

Magical Diary was awesome, by extension people should check out this and give it the votes and stuff.

Pixelated PixieOne Thousand CablesElvenshae
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I thought companies that already had games on Steam got to sort of bypass Greenlight? Or did the WarZ fiasco ruin that?

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I thought companies that already had games on Steam got to sort of bypass Greenlight? Or did the WarZ fiasco ruin that?

It might be easier for companies that already have games on Steam but I don't think they get a free pass to put whatever they want on the store.

camo_sig2.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Well, I know that the Frozen Synapse guys could have bypassed it for Frozen Endzone, but decided not to--they just actually liked the idea of Greenlight, and felt that more "big" companies should use it.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »

It might be easier for companies that already have games on Steam but I don't think they get a free pass to put whatever they want on the store.
    Rockin' android had to go through greenlight. It's completely draconian who gets to pass through and who doesn't.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    New batch today: http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1569781302750532884

Bleed
    Game Dev Tycoon
    The Legend
    Legends of Eisenwald
    RIOT
    Stardew Valley

I'm excited for Stardew Valley, and RIOT looks interesting. It is actually what it says, a riot simulator game.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Stardew Valley made it? Fuck yes!

JtgVX0H.png
    captainktestsubject23RoyceSraphimSkutSkut
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I've been going through my GreenLight Queue and have just been Yesing games like crazy. Highlights include:

GoD - Wingmen
    Chasm
    A.N.N.E.
    Dungeon Dashers

I'd really like Anne and Chasm to succeed, mainly because of my everlasting love for the Castlevania/Metroid series'.

KoopahTroopah on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Anyone else still shocked at how trolled the first few days of this was?

No?

Maddoc
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Anyone else still shocked at how trolled the first few days of this was?

It's the internet. Trolls gonna troll.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm actually amazed that we don't have a thread for this game yet, but has anyone been looking into Rogue Legacy? It's a side-scrolling action Rogue-'lite' as they call it. There are randomly generated levels to explore to gain money and power in your attempts to kill the bosses of all 4 areas and unlock the final area. Every time you die you choose an heir to succeed you. Heirs have a random class and some random traits that make them unique. Your equipment gets passed down to your heirs so in that way the game has persistent progression. You also upgrade your family keep between deaths which unlocks various benefits that persist for your lineage as well.

The Greenlight page is at: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136969358&searchtext=rogue+legacy

Northernlion also took a look at the game recently:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ih2hzvdTxU

And I just saw from a tweet that the game is available for pre-order from their website now which provides a DRM-free copy of the game, the soundtrack as well as a Steam key whenever the game becomes available on Steam. Not bad for $10! Pre-orders available at http://www.cellardoorgames.com/roguelegacy.html

For whatever reason, I didn't watch this video when you first posted it (and still haven't) but I just saw a trailer for this game and it looked like a randomly-generated Metroidvania

So, yes please! I'm going to try out the demo when I get home from work.

Holy shit Rogue Legacy is amazing

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    SteevL wrote: »
    Holy shit Rogue Legacy is amazing

Downloaded the demo and I can't play it. Hero is stuck running right without me pressing anything. I restarted multiple times, re-installed, reinstalled .NET and XNA frameworks. I'm just not fit to play this game.

Looks fun though.

Edit - and after the nth reinstall of everything and restart, it finally started working. For some reason I'm compelled to think it's my Zune software fucking it up. Not sure.

1:30 later, it's pretty fucking awesome. Very addicting, has perma-death without actually penalizing dying. Great game feel, matching aesthetics and intuitive controls. If this doesn't get greenlit, then there's something wrong with this system. I've never cheaply died either, it's always my fault for dying. It's difficult to the point of being unfair without actually crossing the line, while still being as fun as it can be.

Probably only gonna pre-order if it goes on steam though.

KoopahTroopah on
    I think it has a good chance of getting greenlit. Not that I have any reliable metric to base it on, of course! I went ahead and preordered it because I liked what I played that much.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Rogue Legacy rolled through my queue a few days ago. I went quickly from another roguelike?! to DO WANT in some pretty quick time.

Also this latest batch of Greenlights looks pretty nice. I'm happy to see Riot and Stardew get through and Bleed is a really fun game if you like action platformers that drip with oodles of style.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Wow, I've never actually browsed the Greenlight section on Steam (or been to this thread!). I could easily get lost for hours on here...so much awesome stuff.

KoopahTroopahTeeMan
    The Yawhg looks really interesting.

And now, for developers who haven't been Greenlit but who want to spend the extra effort making their game Steam-ready without any assurance that Valve's capricious process will ever grant them access to what is by far the most important platform in terms of success, we give you the Steamworks API, free for everyone! But useless, of course, to most people.

Also please Greenlight The Real Texas, I don't want to live in a world where this game languishes in the depths of Greenlight while Valve blithely approves 8 Slenderman games.

Wow, that makes me fear putting my games on Greenlight. I mean for one it's a great way to get your game noticed, but if you're required to get Greenlit even after getting a publisher like ASG, that seems really back asswards to what was the design of Greenlight in the first place.

TychoCelchuuuLaCabraPanda4You
    I suspect they're winging the whole thing.

TychoCelchuuuDrake
    I think because Valve is an amazing place that attracts the best at everything what really happens is that it attracts the best game developers and nobody else there knows what the fuck they are doing. Seriously. Hire someone to fix Greenlight and Steam and so on. Gabe Newell seems to be the only one there who is talking any sense about this stuff but he's either years ahead of where Valve is or not overseeing any of this stuff or who knows. VALVE IF YOU ARE READING THIS I WILL DO GREENLIGHT FOR YOU. I HAVE EXCELLENT CREDENTIALS. I WAS THE OP FOR THE STEAM THREAD MANY TIMES.

GethKoopahTroopahstaplerofpaperdarunia106TofystedethXeddicusPanda4You
    edited May 2013
    And Geth agrees.

edit: alternatively Valve can just hire this guy.

TychoCelchuuu on
    KoopahTroopah
  • AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    Huh. Guess I'm not gonna put any future titles on Greenlight, then. As it is, I'm thinking of yanking Cute Things. It's been steadily falling in rank since forever.

5 new games Greenlit. Well, 4 and a program. One of the games is a Slenderman game, of course. Greenlight should really be renamed "Slenderman Distribution Services Incorporated."

Wow, I was so busy with some real-life stuff that I didn't even notice that Rogue Legacy was greenlit! Nice.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I like the idea of greenlight basically being a sub-store with a pre-order treshhold or such.

The fact that it's purely 'thumbs up' now seems a lacking metric to a degree.