As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    They could've leaked the source code at any time and still kept their server a secret.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Maybe. We're all Monday Saturday morning quarterbacking here, with the benefit of hindsight. Fear makes people do things.
    Are you sure enough of the above that you'd be willing to risk being charged for receiving/handling/possessing stolen IP? Because those are, or could be, the stakes we're talking about (IMO).

Maybe it'll all be fine. Maybe NCsoft will come down like the hammer of god, and all the new servers out there will have to go to similar Fight-Club-style "you only get in if someone vouches for you" policies. We don't know yet.
    Right now we're all giddy about having our game back. But it's not really "our" game, and unwelcome reality could still happen.
    I'm glad of what's going on right now, but I'm also very aware of how it could end. If all the new servers have to go dark or shut down, we're right back to where we started.

(Apologies for multiple edits and possibly a bit of doomsaying.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hey, the rules on piracy and private servers have not changed.

• Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    @Tube Clarification please. Would it be alright to share a link to say, a discord where PAers may get together to discuss events more freely?

Assuming of course that nothing rule breaking from the discord is brought back here.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Maybe. We're all Monday Saturday morning quarterbacking here, with the benefit of hindsight. Fear makes people do things.
    Are you sure enough of the above that you'd be willing to risk being charged for receiving/handling/possessing stolen IP? Because those are, or could be, the stakes we're talking about (IMO).

Maybe it'll all be fine. Maybe NCsoft will come down like the hammer of god, and all the new servers out there will have to go to similar Fight-Club-style "you only get in if someone vouches for you" policies. We don't know yet.
    Right now we're all giddy about having our game back. But it's not really "our" game, and unwelcome reality could still happen.
    I'm glad of what's going on right now, but I'm also very aware of how it could end. If all the new servers have to go dark or shut down, we're right back to where we started.

You do realize that private servers exist for pretty much every NCSoft property right, including ones for games (like Lineage 2) that have made infinitely more money than CoX did? That is how these things work. A C&D is like playing whack-a-mole once it's out there in the wild.

They could have disseminated what they had at any time. It was purely about control.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Just wow, this is not something I would have expected to happen. Not sure how I feel that the keep this a secret all this years but well
    at least we can go back and wear a cape again...

Somehow I still have keep the files in a backup of my old windows version. Just fired up mids and loaded a old template.

xc9daosi58ry.jpg

Don't know if this will last but I will certainly enjoy it, to recreate the chars on a live server again :)

tricon on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Holy crap even looking at Mids again is <3

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Fiaryn wrote: »

You do realize that private servers exist for pretty much every NCSoft property right, including ones for games (like Lineage 2) that have made infinitely more money than CoX did? That is how these things work. A C&D is like playing whack-a-mole once it's out there in the wild.

Honestly? I wasn't aware. The only other NCsoft game I ever gave a damn about was WildStar, and... well, we all know what happened there. (Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't pull the plug a lot sooner.)

This is the company killed Richard Garriott's game while he was in orbit. And then - again, as I've only found out recently, but to my not-at-all surprise - they killed the pserver. I don't see them letting this go.
    I think if this had come out years ago, they would have squashed it and that would have been that, The End. But as I said on the last page, maybe things have changed.
    Now that it's out there - now that it's no more of a secret than Ouroboros or the Lost-Rikti connection was - we'll all find out together how long it lasts.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I'm back over on Paragon Wiki, and just kinda thinking about how silly I was about playing the game / my main character. Should've stepped up to be a proper tank back in the day.

Edit - Not to say playing just for fun however you want is bad. Just that I would have fun making my character more optimal and it wouldn't diminish the experience for me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    I haven't thought about making new characters in so long. After re-creating old ones (if I do), I have no idea what to roll.

• Options
    I still have some screenshots of characters, but I only remember some of their powers and Archetypes. I remember NONE of the specific power builds I had for any of them. I have a vague memory of people telling me to pick up the Fighting power pool on my Brutes.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    NCSoft is profoundly mismanaged, a place where decisions are often made for posturing and ego gratification. The initial shutdown was a rebuke of the Paragon Studios staff, and it may be that they consider the fate of the game itself irrelevant. They already punished the people who "disrespected" them.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    On an unrelated note, does anyone still have their build/any advice for human form and tri-form Peacebringers? Kheldians are the one AT I never gave a fair shake. I know human form with perma Light form is the way to go but tri form is probably better for levelling I'd imagine.

• Options
    GarickGarick Registered User regular
    Damnit. There was an announcement on discord just now that they are going to delete all the old hero/villain data so as not to anger the authorities.

I was so hoping to see my old characters again. :(

• Options
    Garick wrote: »
    Damnit. There was an announcement on discord just now that they are going to delete all the old hero/villain data so as not to anger the authorities.

There was a thing in the user agreement or whatever that all characters made in City of Heroes & Villains were the property of NCSoft. As long as they weren't replicas of existing franchises (those were deleted).

Soooooooo I kinda don't blame them for this.

• Options
    Eh, honestly just make them again. It may not be perfect and there may be some you don't remember but it is a relatively small price to pay.

• Options
    Oh man I had forgotten that you can have multiple costumes at once.

I remember having my main costume, a Silver Age costume and a 90's XTREME costume.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    @Tube Clarification please. Would it be alright to share a link to say, a discord where PAers may get together to discuss events more freely?

Assuming of course that nothing rule breaking from the discord is brought back here.

Absolutely

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

There was a thing in the user agreement or whatever that all characters made in City of Heroes & Villains were the property of NCSoft. As long as they weren't replicas of existing franchises (those were deleted).

It's...already stolen data in the first place. What on earth is the point lol

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh man I had forgotten that you can have multiple costumes at once.

I remember having my main costume, a Silver Age costume and a 90's XTREME costume.
    Probably one of the more things to do with an extra costume slot on all characters.

• Options
    GarickGarick Registered User regular
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Eh, honestly just make them again. It may not be perfect and there may be some you don't remember but it is a relatively small price to pay.

True enough and I likely will, with some head cannon that some infinity stone shit went down. However I bet ya 5 bucks that they are just saying that and will keep the data for themselves to play with.

• Options
    edited April 2019

from what I saw on the discord, it's that Europe's GDPR would somehow mean NCsoft couldn't turn a blind eye.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Which was the cause of much legal kerfuffle for NCSoft, as I recall. You couldn't create Iron Man but you could certainly create a flying metal suit hero named Aluminum Guy and Marvel sued in 2004 over the game's ability to allow trademark infringement, altho they later admitted that many of the examples used in the lawsuit were COH heroes created by Marvel's "investigators". Oops.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »

Which was the cause of much legal kerfuffle for NCSoft, as I recall. You couldn't create Iron Man but you could certainly create a flying metal suit hero named Aluminum Guy and Marvel sued in 2004 over the game's ability to allow trademark infringement, altho they later admitted that many of the examples used in the lawsuit were COH heroes created by Marvel's "investigators". Oops.

That lawsuit Cryptic won and as a bonus the US Courts set the precedent that Devs/Publishers were not responsible for what players did in their games.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wow. Just wow.

A few hours ago, my brother texted me asking if I'd heard this news. He stumbled across it from a bigger site, and said there were even references to the penny arcade forums there (after I mentioned that I knew the CoX stuff here was still pretty healthy).

City of Heroes was my second MMO, after The Realm Online and before Eve/ WoW. I played a lot of it for a short time during a dark period of my life. Never with anyone I knew, but I do have fond memories of enjoying it. I was always a bit bummed that I missed out on the end, mostly again thanks to the reverence this place had for it.

I can understand flying silent and being paranoid. But banning people for talking about stuff AFTER it comes out is just control freak levels. I really hope people find what they want... but more importantly, I hope that some company out there recognizes that there is still life in this genre, and makes a worthy successor.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    And so thousands of Wulverines and Cohens and Legolises were unleashed upon the MMO world.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    And so thousands of Wulverines and Cohens and Legolises were unleashed upon the MMO world.
    HEY BUB
    hey bub
    WHO'RE YOU CALLIN BUB BUB
    we're all bubs
    hey bubs
    bub bub

• Options
    snikt bub bub snikt bub

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Unlike a lot of former players, if CoH were brought back, I'd probably reroll the characters I still wanted to play anyway, and retire the rest (and then make an excessive number of new ones :P), so not getting my old ones back wouldn't really bother me too much. But this seems like an awfully small fig leaf to try and cover oneself with.

from what I saw on the discord, it's that Europe's GDPR would somehow mean NCsoft couldn't turn a blind eye.

Oh, okay yeah. That could very well be a sticky wicket.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Come join the discord I just made if you want to discuss recent events openly.

Penny Arcade CoH/V Discord (Unofficial)

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey gang, private server discussion is still against the rules.

Like discussing its existence isn’t, but actively talking about playing and how to get on is.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Private Servers? For City of Heroes? That's a myth and everybody knows it.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I dont think they exist.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Rogues Of Unusual Size

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Realms Of Unlicensed Superheroes?
    Basil wrote: »
    I dont think they exist.

TamerBill on
    3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Y'all are holding on to this time travel tech I just know it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Private Servers are a Nemesis Plot

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Not everything is a Nemesis plot.

• Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    Since the mods seem to be getting upset, I'll use this opportunity to talk about the Death.
    Digital Death, to clarify.

When this game shut down, it was in a period of time when whatever existed as Web 1.0 was beginning to die off. If you were playing CoX in 2004, you probably had a Livejournal and a Myspace. By the time of its death, you had probably accumulated content across a myriad of platforms that had been replaced by Youtube and Facebook, but your old Viddler account still had your Let's Play on it. NCSoft killing this game was the first time at least I would realize that just because it was digital, didn't mean it was forever.

Since 2012, we've seen this total loss of content across nearly everything that ISNT Youtube or Facebook. You might remember hearing Myspace lost everything from before 2016. Google+ just wiped their content. My dumb old LPs got lost to time thanks to a hard drive loss and Viddler getting Thanos'd. If you put something online, the technical chance is that it's gone forever now.

So maybe you've gotten used to that idea by now. Maybe the Tumblr purge hit you hard. Maybe your first band got scrubbed out of existence, or those dumb AMVs you made that taught you how to edit disappeared with a press of a button on a server rack somewhere. This just became the way things happen online these days.

But then a week ago you learned that every single Hero, Villain, Bio, Mission Architect and Supergroup you ever made, didn't just disappear in 2012. Now they've been in possession of some rando dude in Argentina who's been lording that over some cult-like group with vague promises of "you'll get this all back, don't worry. In the meantime, if you tell anyone about this I'll make sure everyone you know will never get to play this game ever again."

I think that's why this is inspiring such Intense Emotions in people. This isn't how this is supposed to work. If things die, they don't keep living for six years in secret.

So tbh, I'm sorta glad I can't play there anymore. I'm glad that when I managed to get into the new server, I have to make brand new everything.

RIP City Of Heroes. I hope this time, you stay dead.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    So, two things.
    1, I don't know anything about Leandro other than what I've seen posted - I was dealing with my own stuff during shutdown, my own efforts to save some portion of the game - but he doesn't seem to be "just some rando". I'm pretty sure he's not secretly Positron, but from what others are saying, he's not nobody.
    2. Again, from what I've seen posted, this doesn't look to me like a cult so much as "if NCsoft ever hears a word of this they will nuke it from orbit and then CoH will be dead, completely, forever." Which, y'know, they still might at any time. Ever since news of this broke, I've been waiting for the hammer to fall. The optimism I've been seeing is inspiring, but at the same time, I still wonder what NCsoft's response is going to be or if we're going to run into any other show-stoppers like yesterday's panic over the GDPR. This could all end as quickly as it started. As a friend of mine noted today, the current effort is all taking place right out in the open... and unfortunately, transparency also equals (potential) exposure and liability. I think the people involved could maybe stand to keep things a little more under wraps, exercise some discretion and opsec, until we know what the official word/stance is. If all of this gets shut down, if we lose the City again so soon after we got it back, it's going to be crushing to a lot of folks.

(Again, apologies for the wet blanket, but the original shutdown + the last couple of years have made it hard for me to have hope sometimes.)

Commander Zoom on