Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

1555657585961»

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Well, the guaranteed crit is a non-stealth one. It just makes it so Assassin's Strike can now be used for reliable in-combat spike as well as out. It feels really natural.

The new sniper changes basically turns snipers into Assassin's Strike, but without the combo effect. It also feels really good.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    TamerBill
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A Stalker that isn't useless outside of Hide is NO STALKER AT ALL :x

steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    MrVyngaardGnizmo
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    All of this talk about Empathy being bad reminds me of some math an RO guy did on live comparing it to Dark Miasma. The big aoe tohit debuff toggle prevents more damage to your team than an Empath can undo over any amount of time, and DM has a huge AOE heal with a -regen component, and DM has an aoe rez, fear, a pet that casts the same heal, and tar pit. Friends don't let friends play empathy; be a dark miasma!

GlalTryCatcher
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    Oh my god. Fellas, I really want to join. Is there any way to do so at this point?

• DacDac Registered User regular
    I don't think Emp is bad, per se, but I think people pick it a lot for the wrong reasons. It has some nice AF buffs.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Gennenalyse Rueben
    Dac wrote: »
    I don't think Emp is bad, per se, but I think people pick it a lot for the wrong reasons. It has some nice AF buffs.

Oh for sure. Fort is amazing, infinite endurance is great! The problem is other support sets negate damage done to your team entirely, driving the need for hwaling down substantially. I'd say anyone who wants to be an empath should look at therm instead, though. The shields provide proactive mitigation, forge and thaw are decent buffs, the healing is near on par with emp and pain, MA and HA are phenominal debuffs, and ROTP is the best single target rez in the game.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    All of this talk about Empathy being bad reminds me of some math an RO guy did on live comparing it to Dark Miasma. The big aoe tohit debuff toggle prevents more damage to your team than an Empath can undo over any amount of time, and DM has a huge AOE heal with a -regen component, and DM has an aoe rez, fear, a pet that casts the same heal, and tar pit. Friends don't let friends play empathy; be a dark miasma!

Yeah. If there was something I realized early in CoH was that the power in this game is not about the Holy Trinity like many other MMOs, it's about buffs and debuffs. I even wrote an article on the old CoH forums about it titled something like "Layered defense theory" which stated that:
    1. While Reducing the enemy hitpoints to Zero while Preserving your own was the ultimate endgoal of anyfight the most direct ways of affecting this (damage and healing) were also by necessity the least cost-effective means available to you (with cost being definited as Time, both animation time and recharge, and its cost in endurance).
    2. The best method (definied as being the both efficient and reliable) of preventing enemies from reducing your hitpoints to zero is not maximizing any individual layer of defense, but applying a whole range of cost-effective methods of damage reduction across multiple layers of defense.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    PinfeldorfGennenalyse Rueben
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    even leaving aside the question of whether being a 'healer' is dumb (it is), nature is much better at it than empathy on HC; nature does a much better job of healing the kind of damage groups actually regularly take

NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Tach wrote: »
    Oh my god. Fellas, I really want to join. Is there any way to do so at this point?
    Search for City of Heroes Homecoming to find the forums, then check out the Getting Started section, that should set you up.

BasilMoridin889TamerBill
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Yeah. If there was something I realized early in CoH was that the power in this game is not about the Holy Trinity like many other MMOs, it's about buffs and debuffs. I even wrote an article on the old CoH forums about it titled something like "Layered defense theory" which stated that:
    1. While Reducing the enemy hitpoints to Zero while Preserving your own was the ultimate endgoal of anyfight the most direct ways of affecting this (damage and healing) were also by necessity the least cost-effective means available to you (with cost being definited as Time, both animation time and recharge, and its cost in endurance).
    2. The best method (definied as being the both efficient and reliable) of preventing enemies from reducing your hitpoints to zero is not maximizing any individual layer of defense, but applying a whole range of cost-effective methods of damage reduction across multiple layers of defense.

Yeah on live one of the most effective groups I was on had a /sonic corruptor, a /cold corruptor, me as a dark/ defender and then a bunch of damage. No tanks needed at all. We rarely got hit, and when we did, it was for half normal damage. And my TG healed for like half of the group's life! Buffs and debuffs in CO* are fucking insane.

Gennenalyse RuebenTryCatcherFiendishrabbitBasil
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Empathy is really one of the more fire-and-forget powersets. If you're in a situation where you really need to spam heals as fast as Empathy can spam heals, you're going to get overwhelmed in short order. It's a good pair for most control sets since they're very involved, or for blast sets with a lot of positioning-dependent AoEs or other mechanics like Water Blast or Beam Rifle.

If you're playing Empathy, and expecting to pay attention to it and be rewarded the way you might for debuff-heavy support sets like Dark Miasma or Radiation Emission, you're not only going to be disappointed you're probably going to drag down the group by not blasting things.

H3KnucklesMrVyngaard
  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    I should remake my character from my forum avatar, the one that got printed in a City of Heroes comic book(haha, remember those?) with the battle cry "BLARGH" just because I could. Enigma M-325, an Illusion Control/Force Field controller.

steam_sig.png
    MrVyngaard
    Trying to go for an AoE Sentinel build, so I created NIGHT AVENGER, Dual Pistols/Dark Armor sentinel
    H1uQ30x.jpg
    If you can't tell, I tried to go for "Maximum 90s" with oversized pistols (dual-wielded ofcourse), skull motifs and "edgy" powers. Not sure what his backstory is, but it probably goes something like "He was a professional assassin, killing for money. Until they went after his family. Now he only kills for revenge"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    MrVyngaardH3KnucklesGlalBasil
    Needs more pouches.
    MORE.

steam_sig.png
    FiendishrabbitMrVyngaardH3KnucklesWeX MajorsBasil
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    My son and I have been fighting the call of themed duo's and now my brother is joining us to make some of them a trio. We already have our dino-business men (spines/regen scrappers), our PPD robotic units (Street Justice/? scrappers or Beam Rifle/? Sentinals) and now fish people (I've called The Watermen) who are either Sentinel or Corrupter Water Blast. Next up is a team of three Robotics masterminds who all take different shield secondaries. They all formerly worked at a robotics factory that turned out to be an evil front business so they left and used their expertise to fight back.

Below is my costume for robot summoner (sonic shields) and our two Watermen. Don't have a pick of our PPD bots but they are great. Post it later maybe.

srguecdg5moq.png
    dfzhsbfjsvhu.png
    9psta4ck0pq6.png

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    MrVyngaardReynoldsH3KnucklesCommander ZoomFiendishrabbitBasilKetar
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Needs more pouches.
    MORE.

Also, do those guns should have laser sights? Because, if not, they probably should.

Black lasers.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    Posted a few more characters in the Screenshots thread.

Also yes, black laser sights are both practical and on brand 90's dark hero types.

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    (IIRC) Laser sights in comics are always red. Always.

steam_sig.png
    FiendishrabbitH3KnucklesBasilMr Ray
    So I created an alt costume based on feedback.
    Now with lasersights and 300% more pouches
    Yq4sEEn.jpg

GlalCommander ZoomMoridin889ReynoldsH3KnucklesBasilKetarMrVyngaardMr RayeelektrikWeX Majors
  • Gear GirlGear Girl Registered User regular
    Now if you can just figure out how to get that dark aura to form itself into more pouches.

steam_sig.png
    Moridin889MrVyngaard
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited September 11
    new patch on the beta shard
    Rage will now only crash if stacked. If the power is stacked, crashes will occur at every expiration until it expires completely.
    Rage crash has been changed to 10 seconds of:
    -999% damage irresistible
    -10 defense irresistible
    -20% resist irresistible
    -20% elusiveness irresistible
    The endurance crash has been removed, the power now instead drains 25 endurance on activation.
    Tanker: Ranged damage modifier increased from 0.5 to 0.8, Melee damage modifier increased from 0.8 to 0.95
    Bruise has been removed in favour of a flat damage scale increase
    Stats

Tanker base endurance has been increased to 120, to reflect the fact that they kill slower, but last longer in combat.
    Tanker damage cap to 600%, this would increase the max Tanker damage potential when grouped.

AoEs

Most Tanker Melee AoE powers have had their target caps increased. Most cones are now 10 target cap. Most PBAoE are now 16 target cap.
    Most Tanker AoE powers now extend to inflict damage and other effects beyond their radius or arcs.

Gauntlet

Is now applied via a global proc. Any single target power that takes accuracy enhancements will trigger an AoE taunt. Every AoE power that takes accuracy enhancements will taunt the enemies it hit.
    Radius is now the same for all attacks (15ft, 5 targets max)
    Taunt scale is now 10% higher than Brute's
    Brute PunchVoke is now also applied via a global proc. Any power that either inflicts damage or takes accuracy enhancements will be able to punch-voke.)

holy SHIT

Crippl3 on
    Commander ZoomGlalH3KnucklesMoridin889TryCatcherMrVyngaard
    edited September 11
    These sound fantastic, I might actually get to play my Tanker again. <3

What's punch-voke?
    [edit] Ah, punch provoke, gotcha.

Glal on
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    WOAH, that rage change. I should really get back to the game and get back to some farming on Natsu, my SS/Fire brute. So awesome.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 11
    Very good changes. Also, some details:
    • The damage component of Bruising is being moved to the baseline modifier, so is not a flat damage increase.
    • The damage cap increase is being touted as "making Tankers more Brute-like", but reaching the damage cap is hard even for full farm Brutes eating red inspirations. This only makes it so your teammates buffs aren't a waste on you. Which leads to...
    • If your "class fantasy", to borrow a term, is not doing damage, then is garbage on the first place.
    • Another change is moving the t2 powers to t1 in order to make Tanker builds less ankward.

On the Rage crash, here's a quote from the dev team:
    This is halving the -def debuff and translating that half into -res. The goal being it’s less punishing to defense builds and more equally punishing to all builds.

TryCatcher on
    Commander Zoom
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Just logged on for the first time in months. Hows the PA population these days?

:so_raven:
    Sporadic, your best bet is to hit people up on the Discord channel if you want to group with PAers.