Options

Old MechWarrior Online Thread

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    You can lose without dying. Has anyone experimented with just running away if the fight is going poorly?

What happens if you leave a match? Is it the equivalent of ejecting? How does that affect your losing pay?

These are exactly the kind of events that we don't want to have happen in the game. Losing should never cause such a financial drain that it's preferable to use poor sportsmanship to avoid the loss.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Cabezone wrote: »
    It's not a fact, several people have mentioned to you they make money just fine running in pub games.

No, not really. You, specifically, just blew the whole thing off by saying the solution was to play in a group rather than pub games, which is 1) unfeasible for the majority of people who will be playing this game, and 2) meaningless because groups will no longer be able to expect to automatically roll teams of randoms once more matchmaking options are implemented.

I am blowing the whole thing off. The current systems in place are first pass or incomplete. There's no reason to be all up in arms about it.

Your first argument: just play in groups and everything is fine. This was rebutted.

Your second argument: everything is fine even playing in pubs and lots of people agree with me. This was rebutted.

Your third argument: well, it's only a first try at the system so none of it matters anyway.

Should have started where you ended.

Yes, they've said this is just to start collecting data and they've specifically said some things will change (like earnings ramp up). A lot of us, however, are concerned that they would think the current state of affairs is even remotely plausible as a starting point to work from, and we want to make sure drastic changes are made for the sake of the long-term health of the game. Our concerns are only made more intense by some people using straw man arguments to act like there is no problem or belittling those who call attention to the problem (the official beta forums are about 50% "Kiddies are just mad they can't use their XL cheesemechs cry moar LOLOLOL great job Pirahna" right now).

Gaslight on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    XL engines are munchkin tech. I have little sympathy for their users, but I don't doubt that you'll be able to break even with them once they tweak numbers. People really seem upset though that they arent going to make as much money as those with standard engines.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    i'll reserve any criticism once they have the final balance in place. in the mean time, i'll let these BETA numbers be and just enjoy blowing things up.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    XL engines are munchkin tech. I have little sympathy for their users

Obviously XL engines are very powerful technology and can give a player a significant edge (though not always). Does there need to be something to balance them out? Well, there are already gameplay factors to balance them out: 'mechs with XL engines, as in the tabletop version of the game, are much less durable. I am hoping this will become somewhat more pronounced as the critical hit system is refined. Right now, this drawback is not significant enough in actual gameplay to make most people think twice about using XL engines.

The only thing that does deter people from them is the meta-game factor of the maintenance costs. And as @Supraluminal pointed out on the beta forums yesterday, using meta-game considerations to balance out gameplay issues is a recipe for frustration. In World of Tanks, unless you pay for a premium account or premium tanks, you're basically forced to run a stable of tanks which are less powerful and (for most people) less fun to play just to make enough money to maintain your higher-tier tanks. The whole game is designed as a grind to get to the promised land of the high tiers, and when you get there you find out you still have to grind to stay there because of the meta-game maintenance costs. Do we want a similar situation in MWO, where people are forced to use several 'mechs which they find less enjoyable a majority of the time just to be able to run the more powerful 'mech they really like in perhaps one out of every five games?

MWO is a somewhat unique situation in that it has technologies which were, in the source material, introduced on a timeline. Time goes on, more advanced stuff rolls out. There is the need to balance new weapons and equipment against older ones to a certain extent, but at the same time, some new technologies are simply going to be flat-out better than their old counterparts. If the game actually had an ongoing in-universe timeline like it is theoretically supposed to have eventually, then the degree to which costs are a balancing factor could be adjusted over time. Technology like XL engines could be extremely expensive to buy and maintain when it is first introduced to due scarcity, but over time as "supply" increases those costs could gradually come down and make that technology more accessible, leaving the actual relative merits of each technology (actual gameplay considerations) as the primary balancing factors.

Without the in-universe time progression implemented, however, what we're left with is the perceived need to balance all equipment against all other equipment in a static environemnt with what is basically deathmatch gameplay. And using punitive meta-game maintenance costs as the only meaningful means of balance is a shitty way of accomplishing that.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    You can lose without dying. Has anyone experimented with just running away if the fight is going poorly?

What happens if you leave a match? Is it the equivalent of ejecting? How does that affect your losing pay?

These are exactly the kind of events that we don't want to have happen in the game. Losing should never cause such a financial drain that it's preferable to use poor sportsmanship to avoid the loss.

I wouldn't call a tactical retreat poor sportsmanship. If I'm the last mech on the field and I'm a jenner, or an already hobbled atlas, there's nothing wrong, in my mind, with saving myself (my lance? My guild?) the cost of repairs in a losing battle.

I do see what you mean, though. The best answer would be to make it unapealling to aggressively pursue a fleeing mech, and to instead fulfill the other map objective. Perhaps a time bonus for caps? Or a bonus for each mech in the capping area?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Eh, I wouldn't personally like to see the timeline approach of ramping down costs over time. I'd much rather see all equipment balanced using in-game mechanics. If you want a true competitive PvP game, you have to do it that way. Otherwise you'll always have groups grinding out the C-Bills necessary to bring top gear to every single competitive match, which is a shitty way to balance anything - you aren't matching skill against skill then, you're matching free time vs. free time. I'm also strongly opposed to the idea of old tech simply becoming obsolete; redundant options and dominant strategies are shitty game design. If DHS completely obsolete SHS, just remove singles from the game. If Clan lasers completely outclass regular lasers, regular lasers are pointless.

The only way you can effectively use a metagame factor like cost as a balancing mechanism is if you actually translate that cost into the game in a tangible way, such as through a BV system. If DHS are straight-up better than singles but cost you more points in the matchmaker, then you have a meaningful choice again. If using an XL engine put you up against more/heavier opponents instead of simply taking a shit on your bank balance, then you have an actual interesting incentive other than pure frustration to take a standard engine.

• Options
    The only way you can effectively use a metagame factor like cost as a balancing mechanism is if you actually translate that cost into the game in a tangible way, such as through a BV system. If DHS are straight-up better than singles but cost you more points in the matchmaker, then you have a meaningful choice again. If using an XL engine put you up against more/heavier opponents instead of simply taking a shit on your bank balance, then you have an actual interesting incentive other than pure frustration to take a standard engine.

This would be ideal, but as any tabletop BattleTech player can tell you, the BV system had its fair share of exploits and absurdities. I frankly think it's doubtful the devs will want to go to the work of crafting such a system.

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular

This would be ideal, but as any tabletop BattleTech player can tell you, the BV system had its fair share of exploits and absurdities. I frankly think it's doubtful the devs will want to go to the work of crafting such a system.

They've said that they're thinking about it. And while no system is perfect, I think some kind of BV-style approach to balancing would be a net positive. It can always be used in conjunction with other complementary measures to help address its shortcomings, after all.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So WTF? I downloaded the game yesterday, but couldn't get in. So I tried again today. Didn't work. I went to the website, couldn't log in. So I reset my password, then went to the website, logged in and changed it again. I can log into the website just fine. Only when I open the game client and try to login - it simply says "invalid password" and I can't login.

WTF is this?

Closing the game is fucked up as well. There is no Exit button, when I try to close the window it freezes up.
    Yeah, you have to go into the options menu at the bottom left and close the game that way, or else use the exit game button from inside a match.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »

I wouldn't call a tactical retreat poor sportsmanship. If I'm the last mech on the field and I'm a jenner, or an already hobbled atlas, there's nothing wrong, in my mind, with saving myself (my lance? My guild?) the cost of repairs in a losing battle.

I do see what you mean, though. The best answer would be to make it unapealling to aggressively pursue a fleeing mech, and to instead fulfill the other map objective. Perhaps a time bonus for caps? Or a bonus for each mech in the capping area?

I understand where you're coming from but Last Mech Standing on your team is only the start. People will start fleeing for the corners of the map as soon as their team is down 2 mechs.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options

I hold out hope that they're going to use some kind of BV system - because while there are exploits in that system it's much less noticable when you're restricting the game to 20 chassis or so.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

I just remembered, there is a third bonus atm; Capture assist.

Emphasis on *assist* though, as you only get the C-Bills if you were standing in the zone at some time and helped the bar go down. Your team wins via capture without you ever getting there? no bonus for you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I tried an experiment yesterday, exchanging the 300XL out of my HBK-4H for a Standard 210 and not changing the armament. Played all pub matches. With one exception (a loss where I lost both side torsos, almost all my armor, and was probably one more good hit away from destruction), every match made money. Sometimes a lot of money. The Premium account bonus definitely helped with that, but it would have been profitable even without those.

I think the difference between MW:O and WoT, is that the WoT "inferior" tanks issue doesn't really apply here. A Hunchback with a 210 is slower, sure, but you can load the same weapons, and get more survivability than the faster, more expensive 300XL version. You're never going to be in a situation where your mech's weapons are less effective than the ones on Mech X, because a Medium Laser is a Medium Laser regardless of what it's mounted on.

Repair costs probably need additional balance, but in theory, I'm fine with the idea that my mech with all the really expensive components is something that sits in the bay except for competitive group matches or burning excessive C-Bill balances for fun.

• Options
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    I'm fine with the idea that my mech with all the really expensive components is something that sits in the bay except for competitive group matches or burning excessive C-Bill balances for fun.

And I'm not because I tend to be a pugger (current PA playing streak aside). I don't think expensive components should be so expensive to fix that you can only pull them out for special occasions. That's different from "Damn, lost four in a row tonight. Gonna swap to my Founder's mech to get some repair money."

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, not even WoT does that. The closest thing to "competition/trolling only items" they have is gold ammo.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

I understand where you're coming from but Last Mech Standing on your team is only the start. People will start fleeing for the corners of the map as soon as their team is down 2 mechs.

What's interesting, of course, is that this is what happened in BT historically in 90% of fights from about 2900-3060. Obvi we may not want to emulate it here but it's interesting how rapidly ppl respond to incentives.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »

What's interesting, of course, is that this is what happened in BT historically in 90% of fights from about 2900-3060.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but makes for poor gameplay regardless.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    If you have the C3 VOIP application installed and set up for autologin, it creates a temporary channel for your group and adds everyone.

So if people aren't pseudo-luddites and get into voice chat, matches don't have to be terrible.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Any idea on when this releases to the general public? I couldn't afford to dish out for the Founder's, wanting to play it asap!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Any idea on when this releases to the general public? I couldn't afford to dish out for the Founder's, wanting to play it asap!
    Not really any ETA I think - originally they had planned to get it into open beta in the coming months I think but who knows if they're still sticking to that.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    I'm fine with the idea that my mech with all the really expensive components is something that sits in the bay except for competitive group matches or burning excessive C-Bill balances for fun.

And I'm not because I tend to be a pugger (current PA playing streak aside). I don't think expensive components should be so expensive to fix that you can only pull them out for special occasions. That's different from "Damn, lost four in a row tonight. Gonna swap to my Founder's mech to get some repair money."

I'm mostly a pugger too, predominantly due to when I can actually get computer time. The high-end mech only getting rolled out for specific instances thing may not work out, but in my mind, at least, it felt somewhat Battletech-ish. Like this is your ultra-rare mech with Comstar-refitted los-tech, and you only want to bring it out when you absolutely need a victory.

But as much as I like that in theory, on further consideration, it is probably a bad idea for a healthy game.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    uhhhh... please tell me its still down and the @EResult_Banned error im getting trying to log is is just a result of it being upgraded...

the website is down... so i guess its a generic error

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Just thought I'd weigh in having played for one day:

C-bills seem easy enough to get I've got ahold of:

Hunchback (AC/20 variant): Feels fun, don't like close up brawlers much but I can't deny the feeling of watching an arm being blown away in one shot as a good one.

Jenner (Laser rocket wagon): so fast, but I can't seem to get much use out of it, probably because I'm bad.

Dragon (the 1N I think, AC5, 2 med lasers and 2 sets of LRM5's): My favourite mech, kinda feels like the PZIII/IV in WoT, sure it might not be great one on one, but it's rapid fire support at any range. Still as I love the chasis I'd love some advice on how to build a better Dragon

Atlus: TOO SLOW, just that, couldn't enjoy it frankly.

Repair wise I have no issues (not using custom stuff at all) but I'd have to weigh in:

It feels like you almost need a system which does encourage playing worse mech set ups with less great tech (in order to give variety on the field and make you feel awesome when it achieves) but at the same time losing C-bills isn't the way to enforce it, that just feels like you're beating the player around the head to do it.

Would be more interesting if maybe in pubs it arranged mechs of a certain points value (ala 40K), I assume this is BV points, and try to balance out total force value rather than just individual mechs (Ie, you can have a really low point mech on your side but it'll be compensated by a larger) which would allow for variety.

You could also use this to balance out pubstomping groups by stating their lance must be of THIS (slightly lower than average for the number of mechs in the lance) number.

Past that I'm liking it, I think the idea of treating higher tier tech as 'you make less C-bills but some' would be acceptable.

Also, joined the PA MWO group, feel free to add me.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'd rather they balanced the XL engines by putting in limits to how big an engine you can fit in any mechs frame, as opposed to how costly it is to keep in repair.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I'd rather they balanced the XL engines by putting in limits to how big an engine you can fit in any mechs frame, as opposed to how costly it is to keep in repair.

They already did add a limit in response to people stuffing 400xl's in commandos when they were first introduced. it's: The smallest engine a ’Mech can use has a rating equal to twice the ’Mech’s tonnage. The largest engine a ’Mech can use has a rating equal to 8.6 times the ’Mech’s tonnage, with a max rating of 400.

so if speed is still a problem (which I don't think it is), than they just adjust the 8.6 max down a bit.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Yeah - I think I'll uninstall this. I was just in the game for the first time and it is the expected slide show. Got one shot off before I was destroyed by a Dragon.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    uhhhh... please tell me its still down and the @EResult_Banned error im getting trying to log is is just a result of it being upgraded...

the website is down... so i guess its a generic error

Told you fornicators you were breaching the NDA. Now enjoy the reward!
    Yeah, that is the default response when the site/login authentication is down.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Just curious (don't think it's NDA breaking considering mechwarrior is a general game as well as a specific one) but what are some nice set ups for the Dragon 1N chasis? Prefrably with role and weapon descriptions (I have no idea what a PPC is for example).

• Options
    so is the MC still free to spend? well get it back next wipe?

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Foomy wrote: »

They already did add a limit in response to people stuffing 400xl's in commandos when they were first introduced. it's: The smallest engine a ’Mech can use has a rating equal to twice the ’Mech’s tonnage. The largest engine a ’Mech can use has a rating equal to 8.6 times the ’Mech’s tonnage, with a max rating of 400.

so if speed is still a problem (which I don't think it is), than they just adjust the 8.6 max down a bit.

XL balance should really involve both of those solutions to some extent. XL engine effectiveness definitely needs some tweaking, but I think it should be on a per-chassis curve rather than a straight-up limit, with effectiveness tuned to the mech. So a HB could still mount a large XL, it would just be vastly less effective than they are now and far less effective per ton than engines closer to it's normal engine size. But a Jenner could still hit 140 kph with a 300 XL, and heavier mechs specifically intended for higher speeds can also get more effectiveness out of heavier engines. That way you don't have mech speeds limited purely by chassis class and chassis choices has the additional factor of going the speed a pilot wants it to.

And I think XL cost should be part of their balance, but not the crazy cost they have now. Somebody running an standard engine effectively should be able to make considerably more than another pilot maintaining an XL engine, but even an 400 XL user should be able to make a little bit even if they keep getting stuck with losing teams. Even if it's only a slim 15-20k profit per match, that's a whole lot better than losing a single game and being down a bonkers 4 million credits because you had the bad fortune of a bad team.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Just curious (don't think it's NDA breaking considering mechwarrior is a general game as well as a specific one) but what are some nice set ups for the Dragon 1N chasis? Prefrably with role and weapon descriptions (I have no idea what a PPC is for example).

I once had a Dragon 1N where I replaced the LRM 10 (which fires 10 long range missiles) with 2 Streak SRM 2s (Short Range Missiles with Lock-on capablities; standard SRMs are dumb-fires) and the AC/5 with an Ultra AC/5 (basicly fires twice as fast, but with a chance to jam) Since I rarely go through more than 20-25 shots with the Streak SRMs, I replaced the 2 tons of LRM ammo with just 1 ton of Streak SRM, and after swaping out the AC/5 ammo for the UAC/5, still had about 2 tons that I used for heat sinks.

Basicly played like a big Jenner two fewer Medium Lasers with a UAC/5, taking advantage of it's base speed of 80km/h to weave around slower mechs, while pelting them with SSRMs and autocannon fire. It's a bit heat-heavy, but a lot of fun for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    will premium account status restart when the game is released, or did I pay for premium time only during the next month?

so far I've just been walking around getting killed by things, I haven't really learned a lot. I built a mech earlier, but it's gone now; I also can't choose a jenner (which is the mech I made). I'm so new I can't discern bugs from intended testing changes, this feels like a bug though.

Once I have a little time to invest I'll get on Vent, I'd love to play with other PAers

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    woo hoo! I got in. How do I get myself added to the list?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    walnutmon wrote: »
    will premium account status restart when the game is released, or did I pay for premium time only during the next month?

so far I've just been walking around getting killed by things, I haven't really learned a lot. I built a mech earlier, but it's gone now; I also can't choose a jenner (which is the mech I made). I'm so new I can't discern bugs from intended testing changes, this feels like a bug though.

Once I have a little time to invest I'll get on Vent, I'd love to play with other PAers

Premium stuff will be reset at open beta and they will tell you "THIS IS WHEN YOUR BONUS STARTS BRO (FIST BUMP)."

• Options
    edited September 2012

A PPC is a Particle Projection Cannon. It is a fairly large, heavy weapon which fires something which looks sort of like a bolt or stream of lightning. It does a pretty high amount of damage with a single shot and has good range. As an energy-based weapon, it will never run out of ammo. However, it generates a lot of heat, is ineffective at point-blank range, and takes a somewhat long period of time to recharge between shots.

As the beta is currently balanced, it is a relatively inefficient weapon, best avoided, though a few people like it.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    It's a Google doc, aka "do it yourself."

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    It's a Google doc, aka "do it yourself."
    Yeah, I already figured that out, but was too lazy to edit my post.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Centurion really, really shines now that XL usage has gone way down. It was always pretty solid, but the addition of crits gives it a pretty hefty boost in effectiveness, both since XLs aren't everywhere all the time and because you can't not make a profit with that standard 200 engine.

And the durability is, as always, stellar. It's pretty great to end up fighting Atlases solo twice in a match and survive long enough both times for allies to show up and take them down, with the second Atlas fight resulting in stripping all 3 of the Atlas' SRMs and 2 of his 4 MLASes off before really needing help, thanks to crits. Plus, those CT MLASes mean you keep fighting until you're just a pair of legs walking around; just keep throwing those elbows around and your arms inevitably end up absorbing tons of damage. That would be a problem if I was carrying something heavy in the one arm, but I've just got a crit-seeking MG in there now so it's like a free shield that also strips internals.

MGs are also great for shooting allies at the start of a match. Just throwing that out there.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Centurion really, really shines now that XL usage has gone way down. It was always pretty solid, but the addition of crits gives it a pretty hefty boost in effectiveness, both since XLs aren't everywhere all the time and because you can't not make a profit with that standard 200 engine.

And the durability is, as always, stellar. It's pretty great to end up fighting Atlases solo twice in a match and survive long enough both times for allies to show up and take them down, with the second Atlas fight resulting in stripping all 3 of the Atlas' SRMs and 2 of his 4 MLASes off before really needing help, thanks to crits. Plus, those CT MLASes mean you keep fighting until you're just a pair of legs walking around; just keep throwing those elbows around and your arms inevitably end up absorbing tons of damage. That would be a problem if I was carrying something heavy in the one arm, but I've just got a crit-seeking MG in there now so it's like a free shield that also strips internals.

MGs are also great for shooting allies at the start of a match. Just throwing that out there.

I use a Centy AL sniper build... standard engine, 2xERLL, 2xML, pile of heat sinks. Not what you'd call an optimal build, but I've had a lot of fun with it.

5gsowHm.png