As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Selection 2] Halloween sale, 75% off! Eclipse remake teaser!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Did they get rid of the NS2 wiki? The link that's been running off the unknownworlds site is giving 404 errors.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Yes, it seems to have been lost in the site redesign. Seems like a rather silly omission, but maybe they are working on it in the background and intend to bring it back once it's done.

Some kind of note about it would be nice though.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Getting tired of comms who don't cyst aggressively.

"Comm, you need to use cysts more aggressively to scout out locations. It doesn't matter if they die."
    "Well it kind of does, they're expensive."

No they're fucking not. You hold 4-5 res nodes, wait 6 seconds, congratulations! You now have 4-5 more cysts you can place down. Hey look, in the time it's taken you to place said 4-5 cysts you've made back your res. Golly gee.

This isn't early game where you're trying to save for that extra res node, or for that hive, or for that early upgrade (and even then you can delay all of that 6 seconds to get a few more cysts out to give map vision). This is the mid-to-late game in which all of the core buildings are built and you aren't "saving" so much as "hmmm, where should I be putting stuff and what should those stuff be". Moreover, it's at this point where your aliens are taking out marine locations. As soon as an area such as pipeline has been cleared of a phase gate you have it covered in cysts and cysts extending out to the next res node (ie- the path that the marines have to walk to get to pipeline, otherwise known as C-12) in order to know 30 seconds in advance when they're coming back (and they will be coming back) to put a new phase gate up.

There should never be a situation in which there are areas near to your bases which are completely uncysted. Have marines been coming down this random hallway the last 3 times to be dicks to Nano? CYST UP THROUGH THAT If you get lucky and they bugger off then you can put whips there!

ARGH

Characters
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    I use drifters to scout, not cysts. Marines aren't guaranteed to attack cysts and give you warning, and cysts don't actually grant vision. I only really spam cysts if I want to deny phasegates/armories in an area. Or if I just have a lot of res and want to make the cyst network a bit more resilient by adding another link.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I tend to use drifters to scout early game to telegraph marine expansion, and mid to late game to help spot a ninja. But like Aegis said, once you get 4 or 5 res nodes cysts are really cheap so I'll spend some time while the hives are upgrading to make sure ninja gates won't be close to our areas. Also dropping some forward cysts when your team is trying to push a marine location can allow you to bonewall when lifeforms retreat, and I'd much rather cyst the same hallway 5 or 6 times if it helps me save an onos coming back to heal.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    The best reason to cyst is that marines are physically incapable of not shooting a cyst. He's got a machine gun full of ammo, and dammit, he's gotta use it on something!

Which means the human commander either has to drop ammo packs, or marines show up to fights low on ammo, and if aliens time it right, stuck in the reload animation. Victory all around.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    And if you cyst into a marine base, even just to check, it takes the marines some time to clean the cysts up, delaying them from being elsewhere on the map. Moreover, if you're cysting to check a completely unchecked area of the map the marines will shoot the cysts because you've now cysted into an area where they have buildings. It'd be suicidal to leave those laying around. This is most useful when your alien team has a problem with not sweeping the map every so often.

Yes, I'm aware that there's a battle going on in Cargo, but the marines haven't broken through yet and you have 3-4 guys defending it. It's going to be far more productive for me to sweep through Overlook and Skylights and then Nano to make sure they aren't moving a force elsewhere or to even pick off things.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    You need 2 tech points for jetpacks as well. I'm of the opinion that as long as you have 2 hives/tech points it's not over. Though much more so with aliens than marines because one good bile bomb/onos rush on a base can wipe it out in short order.

But one tech point? That is really rough on everybody, especially on marines. The main problem is that you have to move a lot of equipment out there on foot, and you are fighting onoses, fades and lerks. Without JPs to protect it you're going to move out, get stomped and ambushed and then you don't have your shotgun and welder any more, and oh look you're even further behind. In fact I've never seen a comeback from 1 hive/ tech point when the other team is established across the rest of the map.

The scenario I am talking about takes place on ns_Refinery with a 6v6. Marines have Flow Control/Pipeworks, Aliens have Turbine/Smelting, Containment is contested. Marines control 6 res. Proto just finished researching JP, we have shotguns. Team mates all have 60-90 personal res, none are buying jetpacks/shotguns to continue pressure, because they all want dual exos. Exos are being researched, aliens get 2 onos, push into pipeworks and take most of everything out. Pipeworks stays contest for a few minutes, we manage to take out an onos, but are unable to maintain pressure. Everyone still holds on to their res, even while the chair is still up and they have an opportunity to buy jet packs, they hold on to it 'for exos'. This happens again on the next map, with mostly the same team.

I understand Exos can be super important, but when we have a chance to recover, and possibly win.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    That sounds like a problem with bad marines Forbe. ;)

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I see a lot of marines not spending their money, but I honestly don't think most of them are consciously saving for Exos. I do it myself sometimes, I'm just happy with the rifle and don't think about it, and next thing I know I have 50+ res. It's important to realize that there's no value in saving money for a rainy day - spending money is how you keep your team winning and maintain that res flow. Worst case scenario you do go broke, big deal, now you're stuck using a Rifle like you were doing anyway. If you just want to stick with the Rifle, buy mines instead. You'll probably have to tell your comm to research them.

I think it is kind of an issue that exos are so expensive. It means you have to decide from the beginning to save up if you want an exo as soon as possible, but exos are situational and your team may never want one, unlike Onoses. IMO a dual Exo should only cost 50 and they should be balanced accordingly.

• Options
    I have a problem. I spend too much res.

On welders. Fucking welders are addictive.

Characters
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a bit of welder spam, not enough marines buy them and they can be really important if aliens have bile bomb and there's a standoff.

Just play defensively and run back to the nearest phase gate if you think you're going to die, hopefully you can scoop the welder back up on a respawn. :rotate:

• Options
    To hell with repairing stuff, I grab welders because whenever I look at a cyst and bring out my melee weapon only to find an axe I get very sad :(

Characters
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Hahaha aegis you're the reason everyone else here uses cysts for early warning.

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    I say they were saving for dual exos because they said so on com. I know its stupid to be mad about it, but I nearly started gnawing on my keyboard in frustration.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    when you see an alien comm spreading cysts for those reasons as a marine, you know youre in a shitty position

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I don't like spending money on jetpacks or fades in games where it seems like it might matter. I tend to be terrible with both. I can fade and go get killed after killing like 2 marines, or I can go onos, where I can kill like 20 marines even without carapace or just be a distract-from-gorges-bullet-sink.

But I usually spend my marine personal res on shotguns, mines and welders. An exo can be a death sentence on pubs because there seem to be a lot of people who don't weld them or the whole team ends up exos with no one to weld.

I also rarely see people use flamethrowers for their important purposes: preventing whip throwback and burning up spores and umbra. With the side bonus of killing aliens' energy regeneration.

• Options
    me too, i just run around as a skulk or gorge until i can onos, or play firefighter as a marine

watching streams of people that get good fps is like watching a different game

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I pretty much play skulk the entire game. Sometimes I go Fade, but I hate being Onos. Being Onos is like wearing a sandwich board that says SHOOT HERE and I'm terrible at judging when to run and when to push.

Which leads to people bitching that I'm sitting on 80 res. Which leads to them pressuring me to go Onos, which leads to me dying, which leads to them bitching that I died.

Nowadays when I have excess res I just go Gorge, plop down some hydras, maybe gorge up a door, then suicide bile rush something so I can get back to skulk.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Newbie onos strategy is to kill one marine then retreat. This'll help you develop a feel for how much you can get away with. Basic idea is that as soon as you start taking damage, you need to be moving for the exit. If you have a lot of support you can stay a little longer, but for your typical skirmish it's better to be really conservative than a hero.

Map geography plays a role too, if you're fighting in an area with a long hall you have to be super careful because it means marines will keep shooting you as you run away.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I am a terrible jetpack marine. I never bought one and it not have been a pretty much complete waste of money. I'm actually better off buying shotguns and throwing them on the ground for my teammates than I am buying jetpacks. I tend to buy mines and welders constantly instead if exo isn't looking very likely.

I think it's one of the reason I have trouble fighting against jetpack marines. You really need to understand both sides of a tech setup to be able to use it and fight against it.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    If you're not confident as an Onos think of yourself as a deterrent. As long as you're out there it's very difficult for marines to do anything in small numbers, and their bases are always vulnerable to being powered out if they leave them undefended. You're more valuable even just showing your face around the map than you are dead. Only pick fights you're confident you can win, keeping in mind the possibility of reinforcements just around the corner. Be very careful of engagements that don't have a solid escape plan.

Zek on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I always feel like I do more good as a Lerk or Fade than an Onos.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I can only match the average player as skulk or gorge. Low FPS means I have to either be using AOE or jumping around like a spaz not expecting to accomplish more than a kill or just acting as a distraction.

• Options
    I can wreck face as a lerk or onos but fade is still pretty much a "delete 50 res" button for me.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    fade is still pretty much a "delete 50 res" button for me.

Just like marine aim, it's real hit and miss with me. With roughly the same players, some games I have no trouble going fade and not dying the entire round, and I've been known to die the second time I encounter marines.

• Options
    MagarasMagaras Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So i'm a really bad lerk, so i've been going lerk every game to try and get better, I apologize in advance if i am on your team.

• Options
    Thanks for taking over as the captain of the ship Magaras.

• Options
    Thanks for taking over as the captain of the ship Magaras.

No problem, just happy to keep it going

• Options
    everytime i play i encounter a new ridiculous bug

why would i want to reload my pistol 3 bullets at a time, what the shit ns2 :rotate:

• Options
    does anyone play combat? im afraid if i try it i wont go back to headbutting my desk in pubs playing normal ns2

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I do not play combat, I didn't play combat in NS1, and I suspect I never will play combat. Boo combat.

• Options
    combat must of been added after i stopped playing ns1, from what i have heard of it in dont' understand why anyone would want to play combat, I mean at the point why not just play any other hundreds of shooters out there.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    combat was fun and it siphoned away idiots from normal servers. I still don't know why people bitched about it so much

• Options
    i finally got it working after much dickering around

hey dickering is an actual word

it runs better than normal ns2 on my pc somehow, good for practicing marine aim or being a fade i guess, not much depth to it though

• Options
    From my understanding combat runs better than the standard game because it removes a lot of the processing logic of the game so it's basically a standard shooter.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    There needs to be a way to blacklist servers.

I am so fucking tired of being kicked due to reserved slot. I filter "not full" for a fucking reason.

• Options
    Combat is implemented as a mod in NS2. I played some at a LAN party and the marines won every time. Aliens do well when they can hit where the marines are not... which kind of never happens in combat. I don't intend on playing it again.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Combat is implemented as a mod in NS2. I played some at a LAN party and the marines won every time. Aliens do well when they can hit where the marines are not... which kind of never happens in combat. I don't intend on playing it again.

That may have been your alien team being terrible. It's a lot like normal NS2 in that if marines don't lock down the hive early on they get overrun by onoses and fades. Although occasionally they can still pull out a jetpack rush. Bile bomb rushes can also work well.

My biggest problem is that the maps are ridiculously unbalanced. A lot of them have huge open spaces which decidedly favor marines

• Options
    When I played it the marines just sat outside the hive killing any aliens that ventured out until they had enough upgrades to just run in and kill it. That is a bad situation to have in a game because both teams have incentives to just hunker down and do nothing. Going out and trying to have fun is punished. When you have a map to control there's always someplace you can run to and be effective.