Options

[DayZ Standalone] Early Access now available on Steam

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I installed Lingor last night after watching a couple of the video's posted up thread.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Fallujah's just been released! It should be coming to DayZ Commander Real Soon Now <TM>.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxn3RoqTOQ

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    Jester814Jester814 Registered User regular
    In part 2 of Saving Private Dumbass, we meet up with a 5th 15th member, Cpl Valentino, then proceed to head in the direction of Calamar having many adventures on the way while looking for a hospital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ewby57sdi4&amp;list=UUcKw8DCBAvUGx7zCjSkjv1g&amp;index=1&amp;feature=plcp

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Saw this shortly after you put it up, those dumb bastards in the chopper had no idea what they were up against.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Decided I can't wait for standalone, reinstalling now. Where do you guys play?

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Also, does the Arma 2 DLC have anything to do with Day Z (i..e, do I need to buy Czech Republic or install the other two?)

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    All you need to play DayZ is Combined Operations. You can get away without buying the PMC and BAF DLCs, but some weapon textures and character skins will be of a lower texture quality.

Czech came out after DayZ and as such has no role in any part of the mod.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    My friends and I tried getting on the servers listed, but couldn't find them.

Are we missing something here?

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    both 899 and the clam are out of commission, mostly due to annoyance over hackers and issues with servers saving camps. I don't know if PA has a home base these days, it really seems like most people have moved on to lingor or are waiting for the standalone.

• Options
    Torgairon wrote: »
    both 899 and the clam are out of commission, mostly due to annoyance over hackers and issues with servers saving camps. I don't know if PA has a home base these days, it really seems like most people have moved on to lingor or are waiting for the standalone.

Notably, hackers are still an issue, but tents and vehicles actually save now. I think the primary technical reason the servers are down is because of the code being an abusive boyfriend to non-SSD hard drives when you run multiple servers off one drive (per the OP).

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hm, doubled.

tuxkamen on

• Options
    Man that sucks about the server issues. And of course the hackers. Three of my friends and I cornered a PK in that green building next to the double hangers at the airstrip just outside of Cherno. We had this awesome plan to get in and kill him. We had one sniper with his rifle on the doorway and another sniper on a hill covering the roof. One guy climbed up the ladder to the roof while I circled around to go in the doorway. I came around the corner and didn't know there was a window he could shoot out of (I'm still very new to the game), and he got me real good. My friend on the roof heard the gunshots and ran down the stairs and unloaded on the guy, but he got killed too. The guy then ran out and shot our sniper a few times and forced him to flee. The sniper covering the roof unloaded 30 rounds into the guys chest before he got killed.

I respawned and made my way back to the sniper that survived (the only one out of the 4 of us), and gave him a blood transfusion. We started to make our way back towards Cherno to see if I could lure the guy out in the open while the sniper got him when my character just stood up all of a sudden. I started freaking out cause I was losing control of my character. One of my other friends reported it was starting to happen to him too. Well my guy turned around and started hacking at my sniper friend with an axe, who had a gillie suit, NV Goggles and a GPS on him, at lightning speed. Killed him real quick.

That's when we discovered it was apparently pretty easy to hack in the game. Then we ran into multiple servers of hackers and admins abusing their admin powers to spawn stuff for people.

We would love to find a good server that people don't hack on, or has admins that are active and ban people but don't alter the gameplay by spawning things. A server that changes from day to night faster would be fucking awesome too. We don't like day 24/7, and switching between 24/7 day and 24/7 night servers is kind of a tiring work around for us. Like a 2 hour time cycle would be about perfect.

My friend made a comment last night about getting his own server because of all the hacking we ran into saturday night. Maybe you guys would like to play on it? We enjoy having a good amount of players on the server so we have people to fight with and hunt.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Admins don't have any admin powers to speak of. The only "power" they can get is if it's a private hive server and they hack some of their server files to let specific people not be detected by Battleye.

• Options
    Hmm.

We ran into some people that could spawn stuff for us. They were spawning vehicles out of nowhere like boats just appearing in the middle of the woods. They'd spawn jeeps and ATVs and ride around. One guy gave a friend of mine a bag or something that had tons of stuff in it, gillie suits, camo gear, tons of guns and ammo. I guilted him into not taking anything except he did take a soldier outfit so he wouldn't be the default guy. he died quickly in the next server anyway haha.

I don't know anything about servers and stuff, just started playing saturday. We have been just going down the list of public servers and jumping in ones that have 10-20 people.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    Hmm.

We ran into some people that could spawn stuff for us. They were spawning vehicles out of nowhere like boats just appearing in the middle of the woods. They'd spawn jeeps and ATVs and ride around. One guy gave a friend of mine a bag or something that had tons of stuff in it, gillie suits, camo gear, tons of guns and ammo. I guilted him into not taking anything except he did take a soldier outfit so he wouldn't be the default guy. he died quickly in the next server anyway haha.

I don't know anything about servers and stuff, just started playing saturday. We have been just going down the list of public servers and jumping in ones that have 10-20 people.

Yeah, those are just script kiddies.

Chernarus non-private hives are pretty bad for the most part. I only play on Lingor at this point, and I've yet to run into any egregious examples of spawning bullshit in about 40 hours of playing it.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Jester814Jester814 Registered User regular
    After saving Private Dumbass, we are on our way to meet up with another member when we get ambushed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHd9E3Sbics

• Options
    DayZ Commander has just been updated to support Fallujah. \o/

• Options
    My friends and I found a nice private server that we are now having lots of fun on.

Spawned in yesterday and my friend immediately finds a Dirt bike and drives down from just outside Elektro where another friend and I spawned outside Kamovo or whatever. I then found a Pedal bike and we had some fun adventures in Cherno and Elektro.

A guy shot me inside the grocery store in Cherno and left me for dead. Had 200 blood when I gained consciousness and bandaged. Booked it out of the grocery store and west to where my friend had just spawned so he could grab a blood bag out of my pack and give me a transfusion. Except we somehow passed eachother as he took the road and I ran along the coast. We double back towards eachother and I alert a Zombie because I can't see anything. Pull out my 1911, shoot at the damn thing (my hatchet wasn't equipped) but get punched in the head and die. Friend grabs my hatchet off my body and waits for me to respawn. And I respawn in Solnichny. UGH, so he just takes my crap and I head up north.

Took them like 2 hours after that to find some new wheels for the dirtbike and ride up to Berezino where I was pillaging the grocery store and give me a blood transfusion.

this game is too much fun! haha

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Okay, so Fallujah.

+ Lots and lots of vehicles
    + Huge city, with outlying suburbs, points of interest, and multiple airfields
    + Very easy to get lost (I know, this doesn't _sound_ like a plus...)
    + Most everything is enterable

But...

- Loot spawns are completely strange.

Supposedly, it's more loot as you move towards the center of the city, but most buildings simply have nothing at all. I found a long block of apartment buildings in the city center which, in Chernarus, would be filled with decent amounts of loot. Out of a dozen buildings, only the middle six had anything. Three on each end were completely empty. Your expectations are kind of played with.

EDIT: In whole areas, only one type of house may have loot spawns. This borders on stupid, and I don't think it's the Fallujah mapper's fault but rather Vilayer's port of it.

- NO FOOD !)%*!)%*!)*%!

Seriously, canned food spawns are rare. If you manage to bag an animal...

- NO WOOD !)%*!)%*!)%!)

...you need to find an oil can to set a fire in. I think. I sure as hell can't get any wood from the forested areas.

- Military-level gear-up appears to be difficult.

Yes, this should be a positive, but I felt distinctly uncomfortable at being unable to find anything better than a Makarov for a long time. I eventually picked up an Enfield, but I was dodging vehicle-mounted guns (of which there are many) and it felt a little asymmetrical.

Anyway. If I don't starve to death, I have a Huey. Let me know. :o

EDIT 2: No Huey. Starved to death. While I really love the idea of Fallujah, this map isn't ready. :/

tuxkamen on

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Really liking Lingor Island. It's rejuvenated my interest in the game - the feeling of 'I have no idea what's up ahead' is back, and now that there's loot scattered over many more spawns, you no longer have an easy way of knowing exactly where other players are. In Chernarus, it's either Cherno, Elektro, NW Airfield or Stary, with a scattering in Zelenogorsk or Berezino. Also, I love the larger number of buildings that are enterable.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Sucks that I'm just getting into this game while a bunch of people are giving up on it.

So yesterday I get home about an hour before my friends do. I log on to go check out west of Gorka, and check the fields for any heli crashes and deer stands. Nothing, so I head into Gorka to scavenge. Zombie aggros me, runs up to me on the other side of a low fence. Then punches me in the head from like 10 meters away behind that low fence and I get knocked out for 5 minutes. He slowly kills me. FUCK.

I respawn down at Kutoy Cap, between Solichniy and Elektro. I just haul ass towards my body, because I had some pretty good stuff on that character and I know noone is going into Gorka anytime soon, at least I hope right? So I'm running across the countryside when one of my friends logs in. His dirtbike has been jacked, so he starts heading towards gorka/polana to meet up with me after I get my body. I spot a busted up tractor near the Factory SE of Polana on my way back to Gorka and let him know. Well, I get back to my body and get all my loot back. We meet up and head down to the factory to fix up that tractor when another friend logs on. He meets us at the factory shortly after we find a tire, and only a tire, for the tractor. The one tire was enough to get the tractor to run, but it was still in bad shape, when a Jeep comes driving down the road. They go right past but I just know they saw the zombies at the factory. Sure enough about 15 minutes later one of my friends gets shot up on the hill while he was being a lookout. The 2 of us book it out of there, I grab the tractor and start heading for Nichnoy to get some more parts for it.... then I crashed it into a tree and it explodes and kills me.

Later on, 2 more friends log on and we have some hilarious hijinks in Cherno. Couple of firefights later and we have some shiny new AKs and an M1014. We head up to Starysobor. Get there right before a server reboot so we loot the place, log off, log back on after reboot and loot again. Now we are rolling with an M16, M4, 2 AK30, and an M1014. Hells yea.

We head west out of Stary and spot a Downed Heli. Go to loot it but nothing is there. There is a deerstand nearby so we go check that. While doing that one friend spots a bandit running across the field across from us "Where are you Byron?" he asks (Byron is wearing a bandit mask from our hijinks in cherno). "Right next to Ryan... why" "Oh shit, there is a bandit in the field across from us, I can only see him with the binos" So we all start searching for him too, when he sees one of us in the deer stand. He shoots my friend and while they all look for him/return fire I run north and around the heli crash to flank. By the time I get up behind the guy they are all ready to rush the guy. He had just killed one friend and another was low on blood from getting shot in the deer stand. They rush him as I'm running up from behind. The one on low blood gets popped and goes down, and just as I get behind the guy to fill him full of M1014 pellets, my other friend gets him with his AK.

That little battle nets us another M16 and a G17. I take both and put my shotgun and makarov in my pack. We take what we can carry between the 3 of us left and head south to meet up with their newspawns. Another 1.5 hours later we find a sniper rifle but no ammo, and lose the M1014. We all log off, and I log on this morning to hit the grocery store in cherno before work to look for a tent. End up getting greedy and go to the firehouse. I don't know why, I couldn't loot anything cause I'm carrying an M16, G17, Sniper Rifle and PDW. I guess I was looking for Ammo or something. Anyway, a damn zombie comes walking in and climbs the damn stairs. I try to just run past the damn thing end up falling down the stairs and breaking my leg and bleeding down to about 4.5k health. fucking shit, no morphine on me. It's still early and only a few people online, and I can't log off because I have that concussion thing. So now I have to try and crawl to the damn hospital to get some morphine. And what do you know, a Zombie aggros me from across the street, in the dark, while I am crawling. I waste the rest of my G17 and M16 ammo killing zombies desperately trying to stay alive. Now I'm at 3k health, with a broken leg, in the dark, in fucking Cherno, and I need to log off to go to work but I don't want to log off in this condition.

Continue crawling towards the hospital. At least I think I am, cause I can't see shit thanks to the dark and 3k health vision. can barely make out the directions on my compass. I crawl across town, getting lost. I finally just crawl out of town and find a nice bush to log off in. Hopefully I can resist the urge to log on till one of my friends secures some morphine and blood bag and makes his way to my general area.

• Options
    Damn near impossible to hide a vehicle on Lingor. That UAZ we fixed last night probably isn't there today.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't mention what happened after that...

I was running to town, walked off a short cliff, and died. \o/

This morning I resolved to head towards Maruko. Lingor at night is apparently not very popular for some strange reason...so I had the run of the place and didn't feel too embarrassed about using flares and chemlights. Heli crashes are gigantic beacons in the darkness, and I managed to swing by no less than three of them, one right on the road next to Garlbosa. I came out of it with a FN-FAL and DMR, but my goal is to get back into the palace at Maruko and do some dedicated looterating.

• Options
    tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    Damn near impossible to hide a vehicle on Lingor. That UAZ we fixed last night probably isn't there today.

As of 6:15est it is still where we left it.

FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    Tux, the palace is a TRAP! Don't do it. Really, don't do it. If you must do it, dont use a fal, akm or m-14. I'd suggest a bizon or 249 plus a ton of smoke gernades.... Oh, have some bandages, morphine and meat. Did I mention not to go...

Joking aside, the loots not that good, and there's only 1 exit. Have fun and remember that the 2 story doesn't stop zombies from running... I'd suggest the prison for mega-looting...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    If I go to to the prison my face will get ventilated for certain. :) I actually admire your collective caution when dealing with the bungalows, but I have no use for it; I just gather up every single zombie, run in one door and out the other of the first one, then start checking the others. I can go through the entire complex multiple times without taking any hits. Getting in and out? Yes, definitely a pain. On the positive side, I have a nice loud alarm if someone else tries to come in.

• Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    You said the palace in maruko. Its not like the other low yeilds. Shiashi and I ran from there like little girls with 60 zombies on us... The risk reward is off. I suggest you hit barracks out front of the palace though...

In other lingor news, I got hit by a hacker on on ECW server. Lost "ALL" my gear. no weapons, no back pack no nothing... I disconnected fast, got on another server I won't name but you'll are familiar with it. Spawned in Chupinka at night! Quick loot the baracks by the oil rig nets a m16a2, minor loot. Server resets, now its daytime, head to nearby ATC that had nothing but a shotgun. Head to the Victorin barracks, hear 9mil shots...

Up the hill I go, thinking, meh at at least I'll get a patrol pack from this one way or another. Prone, spot the dude crawling in away from the barracks. So I fire a shot high, and another. Zeroing in he's still prone, maybe he figures I was shooting eleswhere? I think he just froze or something. Finally pop him several times... Well, now I have a coyote pack (not a patrol pack), a g17 and a m24. Score.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    We're talking about the same place, I just don't find it dangerous (due to *zombies*).

• Options
    edited September 2012
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    We're talking about the same place, I just don't find it dangerous (due to *zombies*).

It's not dangerous until you have 45 zombies running after you and no good way to evade them because 90% of them just go around the building and the other 10% get stuck halfway through the floor in the bunkhouses.

And the getting stuck part is the worst because of the fact that you have to run through those same buildings.

It's a really shitty risk/reward. If you want good loot, save yourself the broken legs and blood loss and just get on an empty or a night server to go hit the prison at.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    I think Rocket just made a covert "The Room" reference in the last question of the Q&A

to paraphrase
    he is talking about the noob run through chernarus with a flare strapped to your back, collecting mad zombie aggro, goin "Hey guys!" ...... "Hi Mark!"

DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    Okay. So I left the palace grounds and went to the prison.

I managed to crawl away with 800 blood. Got an M4A3 CCO out of it...I _guess_.

As a side note, I have blood bags that love to be used.

• Options
    This is the newest map ported to DayZ, it's rolling out on some private hives at the moment but it'll probably wind up on Commander in a few days/weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG6g7Lx6onQ&amp;feature=player_embedded#!

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    This is the newest map ported to DayZ, it's rolling out on some private hives at the moment but it'll probably wind up on Commander in a few days/weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG6g7Lx6onQ&amp;feature=player_embedded#!

Looks like the zombie virus has hit western Europe

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh hell yeah! Ever since DayZ was first released I always wanted to play it on that map. It is sooo sexy.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Here's hoping it isn't broke as hell with four thousand helicopters/humvees/A-10s by default.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    I got a few hours to play Lingor this weekend. I don't know where I first spawned. Quickly found a Marakov and 2 clips. I am a bad shot or that gun blows; I was left with 3 shots. I'll attribute it to me sucking. I made my way up the road to a moderately sized city (Dressen I believe), with a nice construction area. Found a hatchet. I went on a zombie murder spree. Killed 20 zombies, then died for lack of food.

Second session - spawned at a raceway. I make it over to Guayucca. (Moment of clarity - hey, use your second monitor to pull up a map). I follow the road to Aculto then to FOB Eddie. I find a AK-74 and a few clips, along with a larger backpack. There is side chat in the area about people meeting up to grab a heli. I creep away from the main barracks (by the road leading into the airfield) to the end of the airstrip, run across and find myself following a fence. I notice a single crouching zombie ahead and I test out my new gun. Pretty decent, one shot and it's dead. Further up the fence is a small guard station with a lee enfield. I drop my AK and equip the new gun. I go to the edge of the clearing where everyone is waiting for this heli to spawn and a shot whizzes by me. I take cover behind a tree. There are 3 bodies moving on top of the air controller station with what looks like a zombie about to climb up and join them. As a sign of niceness, I kill the zombie. Another shot by me. So I pick off the 3 bodies (2 are laying prone but super exposed, 1 while trying to get down the ladder). Then I get mobbed by 7 zeds from all over.

Had so much fun. Some of the previous videos helped me with my hatchet strategy, so that was good stuff.

Steam Me
  • Options
    The prison on Lingor is sooooome garbage. :/ Back down to 6K.

I've passed up a couple of M24s and kept my DMR (even though I don't use it), and swapped the M4A3 (which I saw four or five of already) for an M4A1 CCO SD. Other than that I'm pretty topped up on gear except for NVGs and clothing.

• Options
    Is there some sort of strategy for which building are promising and which are a waste of time? I found that a large part of the broken-in "markets" seem to only contain tin/empty cans with the occasional vehicle part. Also, once you find a single map, they seem to show up in every house. I very rarely find food. I killed a pig near the airfield and harvested 4 pieces of meat, but you can't eat raw meat.

Steam Me
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Nija wrote: »
    Is there some sort of strategy for which building are promising and which are a waste of time? I found that a large part of the broken-in "markets" seem to only contain tin/empty cans with the occasional vehicle part. Also, once you find a single map, they seem to show up in every house. I very rarely find food. I killed a pig near the airfield and harvested 4 pieces of meat, but you can't eat raw meat.

If you're finding vehicle parts, you're checking industrial spawns. If you're having issues determining which building is which type of spawn, look at DayZDB's excellent online map. It shows not only which buildings are what type, but also where, how much, and what kind of loot you can get from each, as well as percentages for each item. Shows vehicle spawns, too.

To cook raw meat you have to have matches and a hatchet to start a fire from chopped-down wood. To chop wood you have to be in a heavily forested area. And of course you have to have the hunting knife to get the meat in the first place.

Also trading an AK-74 for an Enfield in Lingor is bad news. The zombie density is much, much higher than in Chernarus, so anything in 30 caliber or above is going to be a very risky proposition.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    If you're going into supermarkets and finding vehicle parts, someone swapped a pickup from an industrial spawn to make room for something more important.

You will get a sense as time goes on about what kinds of buildings you can enter and which ones you can't. As far as whether a building is _good_ or not, well, larger/specialized buildings typically have more loot spawns and are of higher quality. Your best spawns for civilian items are the apartment buildings you find in Berezino, mostly because of the sheer number of spawn points. There are industrial complexes that have decent to good tool loot, and for military spawns you need to check deer stands, fire stations, hangars, ATCs, and barracks.

It's been a little since I started fresh in Chernarus, but the typical loot crawl would be:

1) Determine your spawn point
    2) Find the nearest village (or town if near Elektro/Cherno/Berezino).
    3) Check the spawns for: a) a hatchet or better weapon, b) food and drink, c) more bandages, and d) an updated bag. You need at least the first two.
    4) Head to one of the major towns. Pray to St. Jude and start storming buildings, with supermarkets and fire stations preferential. You want to come out with: a) a gun or rifle, b) a bag upgrade, c) more food/drink and a water bottle, and d) tools to camp (matches, knife, axe). More tools or better weapons improve your quality of life but aren't necessary. In the best case scenario you also want to get medical supplies (especially morphine).
    5) At this point you can go into the woods and live more or less indefinitely, but you probably want to get better gear. So, you pick either an airfield (Balota/Kras/NW) or hit deer stands and farm spawns on your way towards Stary. Your goal is an Enfield/Winchester or assault/sniper rifle. You raid the tents at Stary, pray you don't get shot, and come out with a semiautomatic rifle or submachine gun. Then you move up to NW airfield and start trying to raid the barracks and fire-station for better military-grade items, rangefinders, NVGs, so on.