Options

[DayZ Standalone] Early Access now available on Steam

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Note that if you are playing Chernarus on a non-private hive and ever venture to one of Tux's aforementioned loot locales, you'll be dodging thermal AS50 fire for the duration. And if you manage to dodge the salvos of BMG, then they'll just cluster bomb the barracks you're in.

edit: also you should totally play with us some time

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Thus the prayers. The way I handled it was to use DayZ Commander to find empty or near-empty servers, to keep the gooberation to a minimum.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    the dayz hax are so prolific that I haven't gotten to step 5, i.e. go north and die to a .50 in the spine like a man, in a very long time. every single time I run naked into cherno or elektro I either find a corpse with the entire accessory loadout and an AS50, bushwhack a bandit or ghillie with the same, or die to one of them. at least in the cities I can manage sight lines more efficiently than running around the big open field that is stary and the NW airfield, so once I've got the gear I may as well just hunt the guys in the hills and then I die and some new character finds my duped gear and the silly cycle continues.

also got lingor running...honestly, I was a little put-off. new environment's fun enough, even a few randomized subsets of survivor skin is cool enough, the lingor bandit skin is orgasmic but my main problem is simple: the fuck are all the other survivors? add to that the insanely abundant military spawns, weird urban areas where every building is a loot house and general sameness of every locale, and I think I'll just stick with chernarus. that might change when I'm finally in one of those building that gets spammed with satchel charges, though...at least lingor seems much more free of that type of bullshit.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Man what

we run into people on Lingor all the time

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Man what

tell me your secrets! I have very little against lingor besides that it feels like a ghost map and that I'm trudging through endless sections of jungle to find mans to shoot. I've already been to the prison and did indeed come up against an M4-touting ghillie who I talked down from horrible violence against my person, but that whole area and indeed the idea of the enclosed, heavily camped area with multiple barracks kind of falls flat when there's an array of single barracks spread across the map.

• Options
    Torgairon wrote: »
    Man what

tell me your secrets! I have very little against lingor besides that it feels like a ghost map and that I'm trudging through endless sections of jungle to find mans to shoot. I've already been to the prison and did indeed come up against an M4-touting ghillie who I talked down from horrible violence against my person, but that whole area and indeed the idea of the enclosed, heavily camped area with multiple barracks kind of falls flat when there's an array of single barracks spread across the map.

If you want some shit to go down just hang out around either Victorin's bunkhouses, Calamar, or Corazon.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    Man what

I really like that, though. I find it makes things more exciting - when there's only really one area that everyone hangs out at (NW Airfield, Stary), you can more or less avoid human contact if you avoid that area. Whereas Lingor, I've run into people all over the map. Actually got popped today right in the NW (Lingor), and the guy apologized and covered my body while I went to loot it. I mean, he -did- still take my M9 SD ammo, but at least I got my DMR and NVGs back.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Lingor tends to have much nicer/less aggressive players, as well.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I really need to play Lingor

What are these private hive servers y'all are talking about? Do they not come up in the Commander/sixlauncher server lists or are they passworded or something?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    You can search by mod in DZC. Most of the ones we play on are in the vilayer.com hive.

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    Interesting experience on Lingor earlier.

Was in the school building south of the ATC in Calamar (this is after getting in like 5 separate firefights in the vicinity) and we start taking AS50 shots.

Well, about 45 seconds pass and I see the guy on a rock and put some .223 towards him, no hits (or god-mode, can't tell which). In response, I hear about 8 "poomps" and wonder "What the fuck is that gun? Never heard th-" and then the building gets railed by grenades.

Someone spawned in a fucking Mk19.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Found a bike in Lingor.

Got up some speed. Hit a rock. Died.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, honestly.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    On the bright side, at least I didn't go out like a bitch with my good equipment. That I lost to a massive firefight at FOB Eddie, which ended when someone teleported in front of me and got me in the face with an AKM.

The bike death, all I really had was an AKM anyways.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Some friends and I have invested in a server of our own. We are going to make it a private hive so that we can better control the experience and keep hackers out. We plan on putting some new buildings/spawn locations in certain areas of the map to spread out loot, and see if we can write/get some scripts to prevent hacking.

We will prolly make the L85 AWS not be able to spawn on our server, and then have a script that bans anyone that has it. If you have to start fresh on our server, then it would be impossible to have one without scripting it in, so BANNED. Maybe the same with Range finders, and possibly the AS50. Not sure yet, but the L85 is definitely on the list.

Server should be converting to a private hive today, and a couple friends have the day off so they will be searching and editing files to make the server better. I'll let you guys know the info once we have it all set up and ready to go.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    The uh

the L85 isn't and never has been the issue with DayZ

It's good for picking out targets, sure, but it's not terribly impressive in a fight. I'd take an M16A4 ACOG over it any day of the week. If you're really wanting to improve the gameplay, you get rid of every single 50 caliber rifle and make the DMR/M24 equivalently rare to the M107 and AS50.

Rangefinders aren't an issue either. It's not as if there aren't four hundred other ways to find distance to a target that aren't faster anyways.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    The uh

It's good for picking out targets, sure, but it's not terribly impressive in a fight. I'd take an M16A4 ACOG over it any day of the week. If you're really wanting to improve the gameplay, you get rid of every single 50 caliber rifle and make the DMR/M24 equivalently rare to the M107 and AS50.

Rangefinders aren't an issue either. It's not as if there aren't four hundred other ways to find distance to a target that aren't faster anyways.

In my experience, the person that spots the enemy first is going to be the winner of the fight. So the L85 is a damn powerful weapon in that regard. And is a popular weapon to script into your inventory, because of how easy it is to spot people with it then either use it to kill or switch to an AS50 and then kill.

But that isn't really here nor there, the point is to get rid of the popularly scripted items that we wouldn't miss (or would arguably make the experience better) and then use a script to auto-ban people that have those items because they would have gotten them illegitimately. Which is the reasoning behind the Range finders. You don't really need those, and anyone that scripts themselves a full kit would probably do those too and so BANNED.

The idea is to make it very easy for us to identify cheaters and get rid of them, even when we aren't playing.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Buddies wrote: »
    The uh

In my experience, the person that spots the enemy first is going to be the winner of the fight. So the L85 is a damn powerful weapon in that regard. And is a popular weapon to script into your inventory, because of how easy it is to spot people with it then either use it to kill or switch to an AS50 and then kill.

But that isn't really here nor there, the point is to get rid of the popularly scripted items that we wouldn't miss (or would arguably make the experience better) and then use a script to auto-ban people that have those items because they would have gotten them illegitimately. Which is the reasoning behind the Range finders. You don't really need those, and anyone that scripts themselves a full kit would probably do those too and so BANNED.

The idea is to make it very easy for us to identify cheaters and get rid of them, even when we aren't playing.

I've been killed by one (1) L85 ever in DayZ, and it was because we were out in the open after killing someone with a full-auto crossbow. It's a shit gun. We had dozens of them when the tent duping was in full force and people would throw the damn things away. They're not good in a fight. It sucks up close because you have to hipfire, and it sucks at range because it's chambered in 5.56x45mm. Anybody using an L85 to locate someone for an AS50 shot is one of two things; a legit moron or a retarded scripter.

Rangefinders are rare as shit and not terribly useful, but I enjoy having them for the sole purpose of having binoculars with NV built into them.

The most commonly found weapons you'll find on scripters are the variants of the silenced M4 and an AS50 TWS. Nobody uses the L85 because of my earlier points.

You're not going to easily find cheaters without having nameplates on, which ruins a server. It's just the way it is. Banning people because they found a rare piece of kit is a really, really good way to have nobody ever play on your server.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, still new to the game.

If we are able to edit the loot table so that some things aren't able to be found on our server, and then have a script that kicks people that have items you aren't able to get then I think that would help a lot in keeping people that cheat off our server. Unless there is something readily available for private hives that kicks anyone that spawns anything at all or teleports anywhere, then we don't have to alter any loot tables in hopes that we can catch the cheaters.

I dunno, we'll be trying to figure some of this stuff out. Seeing what is possible and what isn't. I know there are some private servers that at least claim to have some of these abilities (which makes me wonder why all hive servers don't), and most private servers have the duping problem fixed through server side scripts.

The goal is to make a nice server that we can be as free from cheaters as possible on AND have good ping, as all the good private servers we have found so far we all have too high of a ping to really enjoy playing there.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »
    Is there some sort of strategy for which building are promising and which are a waste of time? I found that a large part of the broken-in "markets" seem to only contain tin/empty cans with the occasional vehicle part. Also, once you find a single map, they seem to show up in every house. I very rarely find food. I killed a pig near the airfield and harvested 4 pieces of meat, but you can't eat raw meat.

If you're finding vehicle parts, you're checking industrial spawns. If you're having issues determining which building is which type of spawn, look at DayZDB's excellent online map. It shows not only which buildings are what type, but also where, how much, and what kind of loot you can get from each, as well as percentages for each item. Shows vehicle spawns, too.

To cook raw meat you have to have matches and a hatchet to start a fire from chopped-down wood. To chop wood you have to be in a heavily forested area. And of course you have to have the hunting knife to get the meat in the first place.

Also trading an AK-74 for an Enfield in Lingor is bad news. The zombie density is much, much higher than in Chernarus, so anything in 30 caliber or above is going to be a very risky proposition.

This is very helpful. Thank you very much!

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    Had the worst damn run on a private hive today.

Started out just east of Electro, managed to find a revolver, hatchet and toolbox right off. Unfortunately, the first zombie I came too glitched me off of a building somehow, and I ended up with a broken leg.

I figure, no problem, I'll just crawl my ass to the Electro hospital, get some morphine and be on my way. Half the damn town was covered up in barbwire, tank traps and sand bags. I could just feel the As550's staring at me as I crawled through this shit. At one point I tried to crawl up a ladder and ended up glitching down into a little courtyard that was completely surrounded in wire. Then, I had to pixel hunt my way to getting rid of the wire.

Finally got my morphine shot and was up and running again. Found an AKM + ammo in the firestation and thought bingo! My luck has finally changed.

Then my controls lock up and I can't mouse look for some reason, right when I manage to agro a bunch of zombies.

Not going back there.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the info, still new to the game.

If we are able to edit the loot table so that some things aren't able to be found on our server, and then have a script that kicks people that have items you aren't able to get then I think that would help a lot in keeping people that cheat off our server. Unless there is something readily available for private hives that kicks anyone that spawns anything at all or teleports anywhere, then we don't have to alter any loot tables in hopes that we can catch the cheaters.

I dunno, we'll be trying to figure some of this stuff out. Seeing what is possible and what isn't. I know there are some private servers that at least claim to have some of these abilities (which makes me wonder why all hive servers don't), and most private servers have the duping problem fixed through server side scripts.

The goal is to make a nice server that we can be as free from cheaters as possible on AND have good ping, as all the good private servers we have found so far we all have too high of a ping to really enjoy playing there.

If you really want to not play with cheaters just password it.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    But then you can only play with people you give the password out to. We want to play with random people and have the adventures that this game can create.

I'm not interested in just killing zombies or surviving in the wilderness with my friends, cause frankly that's very easy. I'm also not interested in getting killed by someone that scripts in weapons or server hops into the server fully geared out looking to just snipe/kos people.

I don't have any delusions that the server will be hacker free. Even with a password and a whitelist it's possible for someone to get on the server and screw everyone's fun up with a script. But that doesn't mean we can't minimize the amount of people that can do that while maximizing the amount of people that play legit. And the way I see to do that is to have our own private hive, with no password, and custom scripts that work to keep out common cheaters that googled an Arma II Script so that they can kill people in DayZ because it's funny to them.

It's just an idea that we have, that I thought I'd share. I know that every server in this OP is now turned off and a lot of people aren't even playing anymore. Thought maybe if we could create something nice then some of the people that used to play and post in this thread, or at least read it, would appreciate such a server. You are more than welcome to stay on your Lingor servers, password protected servers, or whitelisted servers, and I don't understand why you are being so passive-aggressive about it all.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Well, finally had some time put in DayZ to put in my personal experinces.

Made the huge mistake of firing my Lee Enfield in Chernogorsk and facing a dozen or so pissed off Zombies. Learned THAT lesson.
    A later time, got shot while being chased by a zed.

Finally was able to survive for a few days and trek up north to where the airstrip is, with enough provisions from hunting and filling water bottles, and in addition, a silenced full automatic rifle and a SAW (kept in an alice pack) from a downed chopper, all complimented with a nice pistol.

Pretty much felt like a god...
    Until a Zombie came up from behind me and crippled me. Forgot to take an epipen. Son of a b-

*ahem* Anyway..... I will try going to a populated Lingor server next and hope players don't shoot me on sight. I always visited one with a few people to avoid getting shot, but it would be nice to actually band with someone since I have yet seen anyone in Chernarus servers because of my paranoia.

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    Firebird wrote: »
    *ahem* Anyway..... I will try going to a populated Lingor server next and hope players don't shoot me on sight

I will learn, eventually, to stop drinking things while reading forum pages.

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    Server rest on Lingor. 3 heli crash spawns at the southern airfield. It was like the first 10 minutes of the Hunger Games.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Ok, does anyone think the spawn rates can be a bit unfair at times?

I ended up being detected in Stary Sobor, fairly quickly by a distant zed, despite being prone....
    ....ended up running toward a barn with what later seemed like a Wal-Mart-on-a-Black-Friday's mob on my ass.

Clearing couple dozen or so of the living dead, I noticed they never seemed to stop coming! With their literal hell spawn points overlapping between earshots of my Makarov, I managed, for the most part, by being ever the economist and unloading hot lead on their soft brains. After admiring at the hilariously impressive conga line of the deader dead, I sprinted out of the town border and took out any chasing stragglers. Coming out worse for wear than I came in.... I would've opted simply circling around the damned place.

They also really ought spread them out a bit in accordance to player proximity, since I also find myself nearing a barn with a Zombie suddenly popping in and having his knees being swallowed by the Earth and having them land-swim at me in an inexplicable blind vengeance, like some sort of parallel universe Michael Phelps.

In an unrelated note, I think I will adopt the survival tactics of none other than Seanbaby for my future exploits.
    The article might also explain my inadvertently and comparatively lousy use of hypebole in this post...

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    The thing with zombie spawns is that as you kill them off, more zombies will spawn if it takes you too long to clear an area. If you happen to be in a place with a lot of spawn points in close proximity, well...it's best to find a two-way building or tree line to break LOS.

This problem gets exponentially worse in military spawns (and especially military spawns on Lingor).

• Options
    Just get your mate to Benny Hill it through town and then waltz on down and grab the loot :P

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I really like the L85. I usually work in a two or three man team, so I can imagine it becomes less useful playing solo though

Just as an experiment, I'd like to play on a server with where the most powerful weapon was the Lee Enfield and the only weapon with a scope was the CZ.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    But then you can only play with people you give the password out to. We want to play with random people and have the adventures that this game can create.

I'm not interested in just killing zombies or surviving in the wilderness with my friends, cause frankly that's very easy. I'm also not interested in getting killed by someone that scripts in weapons or server hops into the server fully geared out looking to just snipe/kos people.

I don't have any delusions that the server will be hacker free. Even with a password and a whitelist it's possible for someone to get on the server and screw everyone's fun up with a script. But that doesn't mean we can't minimize the amount of people that can do that while maximizing the amount of people that play legit. And the way I see to do that is to have our own private hive, with no password, and custom scripts that work to keep out common cheaters that googled an Arma II Script so that they can kill people in DayZ because it's funny to them.

It's just an idea that we have, that I thought I'd share. I know that every server in this OP is now turned off and a lot of people aren't even playing anymore. Thought maybe if we could create something nice then some of the people that used to play and post in this thread, or at least read it, would appreciate such a server. You are more than welcome to stay on your Lingor servers, password protected servers, or whitelisted servers, and I don't understand why you are being so passive-aggressive about it all.

I'm not being passive-aggressive! I'm just giving you my experience from the 400+ hours of DayZ I've played.

Your methods are just a bit daft. I could write up a list of things that would make the game better, but it's your server so it's not really any of my business how you run it.
    Firebird wrote: »
    Ok, does anyone think the spawn rates can be a bit unfair at times?

I ended up being detected in Stary Sobor, fairly quickly by a distant zed, despite being prone....
    ....ended up running toward a barn with what later seemed like a Wal-Mart-on-a-Black-Friday's mob on my ass.

Clearing couple dozen or so of the living dead, I noticed they never seemed to stop coming! With their literal hell spawn points overlapping between earshots of my Makarov, I managed, for the most part, by being ever the economist and unloading hot lead on their soft brains. After admiring at the hilariously impressive conga line of the deader dead, I sprinted out of the town border and took out any chasing stragglers. Coming out worse for wear than I came in.... I would've opted simply circling around the damned place.

They also really ought spread them out a bit in accordance to player proximity, since I also find myself nearing a barn with a Zombie suddenly popping in and having his knees being swallowed by the Earth and having them land-swim at me in an inexplicable blind vengeance, like some sort of parallel universe Michael Phelps.

In an unrelated note, I think I will adopt the survival tactics of none other than Seanbaby for my future exploits.
    The article might also explain my inadvertently and comparatively lousy use of hypebole in this post...

The best way to get through a town is to seriously just full-tilt sprint through it, assuming there isn't evidence of other players there. You run through buildings with two entrances/exits to ditch zombies, checking for loot on the way, but you never stop to shoot unless you really need to (blocking a door, it's the last one following you, etc.)

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So the last 3 pvp fights have all ended in a few seconds with them disconnecting (alt + f4 i guess). Its annoying to line someone up perfectly and they still have time to disconnect before I get the kill :( Still the times a proper firefight starts its all awesome.

Lind on
  • Options
    I have never seen so many ACOGs in one session as I have tonight. No less than 6.

Picked up extra camo, M14 AIM, and NVGs (!). Lingor is now less...lingory.

• Options
    Having said that, I seem to be crashing a lot lately...

• Options
    edited October 2012
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    I have never seen so many ACOGs in one session as I have tonight. No less than 6.

WHAT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKss2uYpih8

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    I'm sure they're still there (at least one). Do you want one? I'm not attached to the AIM, so I can drop it.

• Options
    Yes.

I want infinity ACOGs in my butthole

But no forreals, it's my favorite gun.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    I'll look around in about an hour or so.

• Options
    What server was it on? I'll just go check myself.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    XerephXereph Registered User regular
    I don't know if I just have horrible luck or what. Found a few crash sites in Lingor as I am aimlessly wandering around. I am pretty sure I found maybe 20 Bison SDs out of all the crash sites. Just seeing those things makes me want to break my leg and respawn at this point.

PSN - Xereph
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I played a round of Utes with my girl a few days ago where all item spawns were disabled, everyone spawned with an axe and ONE guy had an AS50 with like 100 shots.
    Let's just say that AS50 changed hands a LOT.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg