As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DayZ Standalone] Early Access now available on Steam

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    To be honest, it feels a lot more solid than the mod did around release, even if it is definitely alpha material. Are you sure it's not nostalgia talking? That aside though, I do agree about Rocket.

Anyone know anything about Rust? That seems to have come on Steam at exactly the same time and caters to just the same gameplay niche. Wondering if it's any good.

My (delusional, malnourished, poisoned, and injured) dude, ready to take on the world:
    iUV2MZlvNtssd.jpg

Somehow survived a three-zombie attack, but blood packs seem hard to come by, if they're implemented right now at all.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Blood packs are in... but you need to take blood from someone first and you need an IV kit.

oh, and you have to take a blood test to make sure that you are both the same blood type.

I'm not kidding.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Blood packs are in... but you need to take blood from someone first and you need an IV kit.

oh, and you have to take a blood test to make sure that you are both the same blood type.

I'm not kidding.

I can imagine people rerolling until they get an O-negative.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    There is good realism and then there is stupid realism.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    There is good realism and then there is stupid realism.

This is the fundamental problem with Rocket, and plagued the mod as well. The blood type mechanic's a really great example, but the game's riddled with that stuff. Pushing for realism with no regard whatsoever for the fact that it's a game, with the player behaviours that entails.

Thankfully, from my experiences so far, the game manages to be alright despite it. It feels like the mod did, but on a much more solid foundation this time around. That said, $30 is straight-up too much, alpha aside. The competition in the same genre tends towards $20 at most, and he missed the boat as far as hype from the original mod goes.

Anyone on the borderline I'd say would be better off waiting, but if you were really into DayZ in its heyday and don't mind the cost, its still DayZ. Warts and all.

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I disagree, the realistic features that are in add something substantial, and when it would hurt gameplay too much they avoid it. So you don't have a physics-driven backpack where you have to search around for stuff, but you do have blood packs with a complicated set up because using blood packs in the mod was almost too easy - people would stock up and then be able to come back from pretty much anything for ages if they were in a group. This makes the use of a blood pack a much more dramatic event - which is what I like in Day Z

Played a bit last night and ended up meeting another survivor in a block of flats (who didn't kill me!) before falling off a ledge, breaking my legs, and crawling over the top of the tower block to kill myself. It was glorious.

From what I can see installation and server joining is way better, the graphics are about the same, buildings are much better and the inventory is much better. There's lots of other gameplay changes that I'm sure we'll discover as time goes on but I'm definitely getting that feeling I used to have when I first played DayZ of excitement and fear.

Are we doing something organised again? I used to love evenings on Vent/Teamspeak meeting up with people and creating our stockpiles in the woods. Do we have a server running for the standalone?

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    `seriously the rocket statement is truth.

he stumbled upon something amazing. and despite him, it flourished. Some of his ideas for the game are batshit. see blood packs.

Im holding out a few patches. i miss our camps in the far north. Our helicopter vs jeep battles in sleepy russian towns. All of you dying in a damn church to a grenade(team kill) as i spot helplessly on a hill for you.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Well, honestly I don't care what kind of crazy shenanigans he gets up to with the base game. I'm personally in it for the plethora of sweet mods that'll inevitably come out.

For now I shall tolerate finding matching blood donors.

Hehehe, that was my grenade. CHAOS!

edit- Man, who was it that thought it'd be a sweet idea to go AFK in the middle of a road without telling anyone only to get TK'd by a speeding jeep? It was one of the most random events I can think of. That and the spontaneous van explosion/medivac rescue. :D

edit- @TPSou

Most of the original crew have signed on with BMRF. They seem to run good servers and they have a whitelist. I don't think any of us are actively in Standalone yet though. You can ask in the BF4 TS, which is where most of us hang out.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    I've been really excited for this, ever since he announced the standalone and engine update. Arma 2 exploded my router when I tried MP with it, so no DayZ for me back then.

It seems like the fun came from the emergent drama and chaos of panicked zombie attacks and surreal bugs working in concert. I can't imagine this being fun on my own in its current state, but would you see it being fun with some friends who had some experience with the mod version?

I guess I'm asking what the big issues are at the moment. Is it just buggy as fuck, so you're wrestling with glitches more than playing a game? Or are the Alpha feature/content holes so big you have nothing to do but walk around?

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Well, honestly I don't care what kind of crazy shenanigans he gets up to with the base game. I'm personally in it for the plethora of sweet mods that'll inevitably come out.

edit- Man, who was it that thought it'd be a sweet idea to go AFK in the middle of a road without telling anyone only to get TK'd by a speeding jeep? It was one of the most random events I can think of. That and the spontaneous van explosion/medivac rescue. :D

edit- @TPSou

Most of the original crew have signed on with BMRF. They seem to run good servers and they have a whitelist. I don't think any of us are actively in Standalone yet though. You can ask in the BF4 TS, which is where most of us hang out.

LOL TpSou's afk in the road. Oh the tragedy. I remember riding or driving in that catastrophe. I miss you bastards.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Trask and I got this last night.

It's more a survival game with random zombies and the silliest of silly geese (other players) than it is a zombie game. It's definitely fun but could use some more time in the oven.

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    For all of DayZ's faults, that game pump'd out memorable moments like a Goddamn boss.

A squad of us getting trapped in a church with a million zombies outside, making a final stand, only to have it cut short by (my) poorly aimed grenade.

Helicopter/Jeep chase (same day as Church-Grenade Incident no less).

Van explosions followed by miraculously timed first-aid followed by a MEDIVAC.

Squad vs. squad gunfight that lasted so freaking long we ended up dropping our weapons to scavenge off the nearby dead in a rotating frenzy of violence.

Fixing up our very first jeep. Which was freaking nerve wracking. Doubly so when Shiashi (@0Replace4Displace) and I both wasted a tire repairing the same wheel. :P

More recently (and I forget who was involved) we were running from a huge horde of zombies in a 28 Days Later-esque situation when one of our team broke their leg and collapsed. The zombies descended on him like feral hungry dogs after a raw steak. The rest of us escaped, but his screams still haunt me.

Ambushing and stealing the bus of a Reddit tutorial/newbie training event. :D

The countless times we accidentally TK'd Ruro.

Man, so many things. So many. I can barely remember most.

Axen on
  • Options
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    Trask and I got this last night.

It's more a survival game with random zombies and the silliest of silly geese (other players) than it is a zombie game. It's definitely fun but could use some more time in the oven.

I watched some livestreams on YouTube, and every single one of the randos they encountered were geese of the highest order. Apparently that wasn't a fluke.

My game budget is about dry until after the holidays at least, so I'm not too upset to hear people saying to wait. Plus, like Suriko said, $30 is a bit steep. I'll keep an eye on it if there's a random crazy sale, which seems possible considering they released it two weeks before Christmas.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    There are always silly geese sadly. However, once people start to realize that they can very easily destroy the loot of another person by shooting all willy-nilly leaving them with nothing to scavenge we might, maybe, see things cool down.

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    It has potential. It's just really hard to coordinate. Trask and I were finally able to meet up on a railroad track only using landmarks for navigation (he luckily knows the map from playing ARMA). Soon after, we were jumped by two others and robbed. He got killed and I got stripped of all my worth while gear (including my only light source, a head lamp).

It was night time the WHOLE time. Does the sun ever rise?

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    I still remember being so mad when someone we showed our camp in the north stole our Deuce and a half.

I think I've never been so mad at a video game before or after. Loot stockpiles in that game were sacred.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @Capsaicin

Vanilla DayZ (and I assume the standalone) are on a 24hr day/night cycle. Depending on what timezone the server is working off and what time you normally play it can end with you forever playing in the light or dark. If you're lucky it's on just the right timezone so you have a fair amount of day and some night.

I always preferred servers with like a 4hr day/day cycle. As most of the time, with my work schedule, it'd often end up with me playing at night forever and that kind of sucks.

edit- Oh also, to anyone looking to get in this, I strongly recommend signing up with BMRF. They run good servers, enforce some basic rules (like common fucking decency), and are very quick to crack down on hacking/cheating/exploiting. All in all it can easily make your DayZ experience 10x better.

edit 2- Heh, the chances of you getting killed on sight by randoms is still fairly high, but at least they won't be assholes about it. :P

edit 3- Hm, or maybe not. It seems they have some very draconian regulations in place in order to host your own server. Let's put it this way, from the sound of things, no single person will ever be able to do it.

Da Rulez :(
    General stuff:
    No private hives.
    No admin tools. (No revives, no reverts, nothing)
    No kicking.
    No banning.
    No passwording.
    No whitelisting.
    Only Windows Server.

Requirements for server hosting:
    Huge game server providers only. To be eligible, need to provide 300x50-player public instances for 60 days out of own pocket.
    One public instance per every three rented out.
    Max of 7x50 player servers on a Xeon E3-1230 (3.2Ghz) Quadcore with 8GB RAM.

If you rent a server you can...
    Change the server name (within scope, like adding "Hosted by ZOMBIES.NU" at the end)
    Have a Message of the Day.
    Control the player limit (within min/max allowed)
    Choose the region!
    Start it.
    Stop it.
    Restart it!

Axen on
  • Options
    @Axen

I connected to an east coast server and it was night. Thinking it was on the same time as the server system clock, I connected to a Hong Kong, Austrailia, France, and Germany servers, and they too were all pitch black.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    @Axen most all the PA crew has abandoned BMRF in favor of stand alone

I don't know if we'll come back to it or not.

• Options
    Well BMRF is just a server hosting community. Before Standalone came out and before the announcement of the server hosting rules, they had planned on hosting Standalone servers too. Now though it seems impossible for them to do that. :(

• Options
    Well BMRF is just a server hosting community. Before Standalone came out and before the announcement of the server hosting rules, they had planned on hosting Standalone servers too. Now though it seems impossible for them to do that. :(

That was announced like a week ago.

• Options
    So? I don't keep up with server hosting rule news. All I knew is that BMRF had been planing to host Standalone servers for months now and that thanks to the rules they can't.

Before I knew of these rules I recommended that people sign up for BMRF mistakenly assuming they were able to host servers.

Now I know they can't and that sucks. So I had to clarify my post that there isn't any reason to sign on with BMRF.

• Options
    So? I don't keep up with server hosting rule news. All I knew is that BMRF had been planing to host Standalone servers for months now and that thanks to the rules they can't.

Before I knew of these rules I recommended that people sign up for BMRF mistakenly assuming they were able to host servers.

Now I know they can't and that sucks. So I had to clarify my post that there isn't any reason to sign on with BMRF.

Was just letting you know, Didn't mean anything by it?

Besides, from what I know they were kind of arrogant of their positioning in their approach to the situation of trying to get the right to host.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Bro-grabs all around.

Still, with no means to kick, ban, or whitelist I fear a resurgence of the Bad 'ol Days. :(

Ah well, I weathered that storm. Easy living has made me soft, time to be tempered in the fires of Standalone.

Axen on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So has this game even shaped up enough to ditch the absolutely idiotic "all servers must be public" bullshit?

Because even though I know PAers would not fail to shoot me in the back for a can of beans, I also know that PA shenanigans are awesome when there are no hackers or random asshats who play DayZ exclusively to shit on people. As incredibly shitty as this thing is in terms of quality, being able to limit play to real human beings instead of random internet dickshits would make it worth considering playing this again.

• Options
    Wait. foot rot?

you early adopters..... this much 'realism sounds like it is just plain dumb.... how does it play?

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Wait. foot rot?

you early adopters..... this much 'realism sounds like it is just plain dumb.... how does it play?

It plays fine. It's a bit clunky and there isn't really anything to aid you in your first few moments of play-time. The problem is finding supplies and avoiding the silly geese.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Wait. foot rot?

It plays fine. It's a bit clunky and there isn't really anything to aid you in your first few moments of play-time. The problem is finding supplies and avoiding the silly geese.

So it's still a multiplayer game where the point is to completely avoid all the other random players because they're ass and you can't keep them out?

• Options
    Wait. foot rot?

So it's still a multiplayer game where the point is to completely avoid all the other random players because they're ass and you can't keep them out?

Thats part of the whole experience.

IMHO this game isn't for you Ninja. It needs more polish before you take the plunge.

• Options
    Wait. foot rot?

Reading around a bit...yeah. They're apparently looking to add server configuration within the next few months, but until then it's all public all the time. So finding a server with a low goose population sounds like a priority.

And also one in a timezone where you're not constantly playing at night, depending on your schedule.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I just read those rules for running a server. I'm still trying to figure out how it makes sense. No private servers? No admin tools at all? No kicking and banning is... idealistic at best.

I can't wait to hear about how this plays out. I don't think I'll be playing it though.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Thinking about it I seem to remember that when the original mod was released it worked under similar restrictions. In fact I do remember when people started to host their own off the hive servers that they'd get 86'd quite often. I guess when they realized they couldn't hold back the tide of private servers and mods of a mod that they gave up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same situation plays out again. Though I am surprised that we are in the same situation again.

DayZ is not a game for everybody, hell it isn't a game for most people, or even a measurable amount of people. It is a game for a decidedly specific niche market.

It is also a game that is infinitely more enjoyable when you are working with friends.

The real threat in the game is not the zombies, but other players. Some players (okay maybe more then some) are silly geese. The rest are just normal folk who shoot on sight because that is what most everyone else does. It is kind of a vicious cycle.

Most of the PA crew don't make it a point of specifically going out and ruining other people's fun. Though one of us on the last server we played on literally reached "Boogie Man" status among the server's inhabitants. But, that was more of a "mama bear protecting her cubs" thing than anything malicious. :P However, if we see another player we will hunt them down and kill them. Mainly because 9 times out of 10 if you spot someone and let them live you'll end up with a bullet to the back of your head courtesy of the person you let go.

Axen on
  • Options
    For those of you who played the pre-EA Ultima Online, it has a similar albeit more hardcore feel to it.

• Options
    Wait. foot rot?

IMHO this game isn't for you Ninja. It needs more polish before you take the plunge.

To be honest, the biggest polish item I really need compared to the original is to be able to lock out random pubs; for the mod version, I was completely content with tolerating the cludginess, but the insane shitloads of people who just lived to fuck up your game made the game 100% unplayable to me.

I know there's every chance PAers would do that too, but at least "shoot on sight" wouldn't be the operational mode for everybody all the time. When anybody's first response to anybody else is to just kill them, all you get is boredom, not tension. When you never know if your fellow PAer is leading you into an ambush so they can strip your corpse of goodies? That's interesting. If we didn't end up with Mad Max-esque warring tribes over fuel and vehicles, I would actually be surprised; hard to do that when half the people on the server shoot any stranger instantly.

Though the usual "I'm Rocket and I have really shitty ideas about fun and realism" aren't encouraging, I won't lie about that. Foot rot? Matching blood types? Seriously? Talk about wasting people's time on tedious nonsense.

Hope these guys grow some brains, though; the whole idea and setting is great, they just need to give people the tools to have fun instead of handing assholes the tools to ruin other people's fun.

• Options
    Also, in regards to randoms, it is a double-edged sword.

A server of just PA is very, very boring (trust us, we know). So you need it to be public. Downside being that, yeah, you're probably going to get a few geese.

Which is why the lack of admin tools or whitelisting is a bummer.

Whitelisted servers are probably the best. Granted the bar for entry isn't exactly high, but it helps keep out the riff-raff. KoS is still the rule of the day, but people are more. . . I don't know, civil?

• Options
    Wait. foot rot?

To be honest, the biggest polish item I really need compared to the original is to be able to lock out random pubs; for the mod version, I was completely content with tolerating the cludginess, but the insane shitloads of people who just lived to fuck up your game made the game 100% unplayable to me.

I know there's every chance PAers would do that too, but at least "shoot on sight" wouldn't be the operational mode for everybody all the time. When anybody's first response to anybody else is to just kill them, all you get is boredom, not tension. When you never know if your fellow PAer is leading you into an ambush so they can strip your corpse of goodies? That's interesting. If we didn't end up with Mad Max-esque warring tribes over fuel and vehicles, I would actually be surprised; hard to do that when half the people on the server shoot any stranger instantly.

Though the usual "I'm Rocket and I have really shitty ideas about fun and realism" aren't encouraging, I won't lie about that. Foot rot? Matching blood types? Seriously? Talk about wasting people's time on tedious nonsense.

Hope these guys grow some brains, though; the whole idea and setting is great, they just need to give people the tools to have fun instead of handing assholes the tools to ruin other people's fun.

Thats why I'm saying wait so it evolves more. There are lots of missing features and it seems like some annoyances will remedy themselves. I sorta like the micromanagement of food and blood types. I think the more it's played, the more intuitive it'll be.

Also, if it does gain popularity, we should all get together on Vent and ensure we have a good posse running around protecting each other.

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular

edit- @TPSou

LOL TpSou's afk in the road. Oh the tragedy. I remember riding or driving in that catastrophe. I miss you bastards.

Woah woah woah, I'm pretrty sure it wasn't me who afk'd, I don't remember getting run over. It was definitely me who blew up a van and had to be rescued by medivac, there's a video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aZ5uY4i_oQ

• Options
    Mainly because 9 times out of 10 if you spot someone and let them live you'll end up with a bullet to the back of your head courtesy of the person you let go.

Apparently shooting someone gives a decent chance of making their gear damaged/unsalvageable, reducing the gain from murdering and robbing everything in sight. That won't stop griefers or getting headshotted out of nowhere, but it may tweak the risk/reward of random encounters a bit.

I'm also assuming that your gear isn't going to be destroyed if shot while on your living person, but who knows?

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Mainly because 9 times out of 10 if you spot someone and let them live you'll end up with a bullet to the back of your head courtesy of the person you let go.

I'm also assuming that your gear isn't going to be destroyed if shot while on your living person, but who knows?

That is the way it sounds to me. At least from what I understand.

There was a dev video demonstrating this from awhile back. The example shown was someone wearing a web-vest in which they stored their magazines. They got shot in the chest a couple times and the magazines were damaged. Same thing happened to kevlar helmets or bulletproof vests. Presumably the same would happen to anything you carried in a backpack if you got shot in the back.

It is (or at least sounds like) a pretty nice system to help mitigate random killing. At least once people realize what is happening.

Though like you say, griefers gonna grief.

I honestly don't think there are as many griefers as many fear, but since the standing order for most everyone playing is to shoot on sight it may be hard to tell the difference. In my experience though, griefers seldom bother looting corpses. So when I get killed, head back to my corpse, and see it still has my stuff chances are high I'm dealing with a griefer (who is probably still in the area waiting for me to loot my corpse).

Axen on