As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Goblin Market

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited September 2012 in Indie Games
feature_graphic.png

What is it?

Goblin Market is an auction-based card game that uses the Decktet card system. There are six suits in the deck and most cards are dual-suited. Players take turns placing bids on one or more cards to try and accumulate the most points by the end of the game. However, players must be careful because they only get points for their top 3 suits. Any cards in additional suits are deducted from their final score.

Who made it?

Me! Well, the Android version anyways... a little background: I first discovered the Decktet card system (created by a guy named P.D. Magnus) sometime last year and was pretty impressed with the amount of games you could play with it. It quickly became a lunchtime activity at the office, and Goblin Market was one of the games that most of the guys at work seemed to like. After failing to find any digital versions of the game, I approached P.D. and asked if I could make a version of Goblin Market for Android, and he gave me the go-ahead.

Websites

Official Website
Google Play Link
Decktet Website
Official Rules on the Decktet Wiki

Screenshots

title_screen.png

start_of_game.png

card_selection.png

Free Copies

The game costs $.99 on Google Play. I don't have a demo version, but I'll give away 10 copies to forum members. Just PM me your email and if you're in the first 10, I'll hold you to the honor system and just send you the actual .APK file that you can put on your phone.

Tube on

• datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    I'm the developer and this space is reserved for my updates!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    This looks like something I could get addicted to haha. Too bad I don't have an Android :(. If it ever reaches another system, though, I'd be all over it...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    This looks like something I could get addicted to haha. Too bad I don't have an Android :(. If it ever reaches another system, though, I'd be all over it...

Same here! Also thanks for being generous enough to give out copies, and I hope you are successful in your endeavor!

Dang you non-Android people! ;-)

This was actually my first attempt at creating a paid-for worthy app, and it was created with a home-grown engine. It only works on Android, and comments like the above were pretty common. I've since moved on to using a cross-platform engine which now lets me create for Android, Windows, Linux, and Mac. Supposedly iOS support is coming to the engine but there's no ETA. Who knows, maybe sometime down the road I'll port this to it as an exercise.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Count on us to make life difficult! :D

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I came! I saw! I had an Android tablet! I preceded to loose every match in the free copy datac0re gave me.

I clearly don't really have a handle on the gameplay yet. The rules are pretty easy to learn; I'm just terrible at it. The Decktet system initially threw me for a loop. The multiple suits is easy enough, but I didn't realize that ace, pawn, court, and crown cards were basically just treated like normal numbered cards for the purposes of the game. Except I just now realized that pawn, court, and crown cards can't be used to get the sisterhood bonus if you sit out of a bid?

The menu buttons do this thing where they flash grey briefly when you touch them, but nothing happens until you lift your finger. It felt unpolished enough that I'm pointing it out, but wasn't a big deal. The graphics themselves are passable, except for the horribly ugly app icon. If you make another Decktet game, you might want to update the card graphics so that the symbols in the corners are larger and easier to see.

There was no music or sound the first time I launched the app. The second time I launched it, it immediately crashed. The third time there was music and sound. Magic! Although I'm also running Android 2.3.2, a version so terrible that you can't even target it anymore, so it might not be a thing a to worry about.

Frem on
    Frem wrote: »
    I came! I saw! I had an Android tablet! I preceded to loose every match in the free copy datac0re gave me.

I clearly don't really have a handle on the gameplay yet. The rules are pretty easy to learn; I'm just terrible at it. The Decktet system initially threw me for a loop. The multiple suits is easy enough, but I didn't realize that ace, pawn, court, and crown cards were basically just treated like normal numbered cards for the purposes of the game. Except I just now realized that pawn, court, and crown cards can't be used to get the sisterhood bonus if you sit out of a bid?

The menu buttons do this thing where they flash grey briefly when you touch them, but nothing happens until you lift your finger. It felt unpolished enough that I'm pointing it out, but wasn't a big deal. The graphics themselves are passable, except for the horribly ugly app icon. If you make another Decktet game, you might want to update the card graphics so that the symbols in the corners are larger and easier to see.

There was no music or sound the first time I launched the app. The second time I launched it, it immediately crashed. The third time there was music and sound. Magic! Although I'm also running Android 2.3.2, a version so terrible that you can't even target it anymore, so it might not be a thing a to worry about.

Thanks for the feedback. As for the crashing, that's the first I've heard of that behavior, even on that old of a version. Are you running a custom rom?

As for the card graphics, you can place your finger over any card and hold it there to make a large version of it appear since the symbols can be a little hard to see. The game was targeted at lower resolutions, so it can be a little chunky/blurry on larger displays. Since Goblin Market, I've been targeting tablet resolutions so that the overall quality is better (if you're curious you can check out my other app on the store).

Finally, why you no like my app icon? :lol: I didn't think it was that bad.
    Full disclaimer: I am NOT an artist :)

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    datac0re wrote: »
    As for the crashing, that's the first I've heard of that behavior, even on that old of a version. Are you running a custom rom?
    No, but it might as well be. It's not completely unusual for the tablet to crash on some games for no apparent reason. It has a habit of rebooting if I've been using an ebook reader for an hour or so. It's a Vizio VTAB1008. There's an update to Android 3.2 available, but it disables the capacitive buttons and people have reported that it makes wifi really flaky.

Hurrah for fragmentation.
    As for the card graphics, you can place your finger over any card and hold it there to make a large version of it appear since the symbols can be a little hard to see.
    Yeah, I found that. The cards can be a little hard to target sometimes.
    Finally, why you no like my app icon? :lol: I didn't think it was that bad.
    Bzcbp.png

• GameDevelopersGuildGameDevelopersGuild Registered User new member
    For anyone who wants to try this on a PC, try bluestacks and ask for an APK.