As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn] Next Beta This Wednesday July 10 (Lasts Five Days!)

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Ah, okay. That's of no concern, since the movement never felt right due to all those animations added in.

Granted, a smoother framerate would probably fix that, but I don't really see anything wrong with the Alpha footage aside from slightly stiffer running and turning.

But if the trade-off is more backflips, jumps, and all sorts of other animations during battle, it's well worth it.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I liked those animations, but they aren't necessary.

Also what about GW2? It has no running buildup, turn or anything animations. Your guy starts at full tilt and stops instantly.

FFXIV is the only MMO I can think of that did those slow start/winding down/leaning into turns animations and such.

I even just loaded GW2 to check. My ranger sure starts instantly and stops instantly and turns like a man on a wooden post. So maybe our games are different.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I liked those animations too. I hope that, should they still not be in at launch, they add them in again later.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular

Also what about GW2? It has no running buildup, turn or anything animations. Your guy starts at full tilt and stops instantly.

FFXIV is the only MMO I can think of that did those slow start/winding down/leaning into turns animations and such.

I even just loaded GW2 to check. My ranger sure starts instantly and stops instantly and turns like a man on a wooden post. So maybe our games are different.

GW2 has start and stop animations. It also has animations for sliding down the side of a cliff.

Really, with how much time you spend running around its silly to cut back on it.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    ShimazuShimazu Registered User regular
    They'd better put a Chocobo Rodeo in the Golden Saucer.

FFXIV - Cao Cao @ Sargatanas
  • Options
    New Prelude theme: http://www.otherworldonline.net/stuf...arrprelude.rar

Wonder how much 2.0 music has been leaked so far?

I think my favorite thing from the last live video was the claim that areas would feature context-sensitive music. Instead of just looping the tracks over and over (a tedious exercise in both online FFs), 2.0 would play select parts of the song depending whether you were approaching a village, a dangerous monster-filled area, and so on.

That is some progressive thinking.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Leaked? They released the 2.0 soundtrack on itunes already; they announced it in that live dev chat thing linked before; it's on itunes:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/final-fantasy-xiv-eorzean/id556797794

EDIT: I mean they didn't explicitly say it was the 2.0 soundtrack but it was announced in the 2.0 producers thing and just released. I don't think they're gonna redo all the music for 2.0; much of it will likely be reused; nothing wrong with the music.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    New music? Who's the composer?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Check out the itunes page that I linked; it lists several composers; though most are still Uematsu. I'm not sure which is the old stuff and which is the new. Don't have itunes.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options

The most important part of that Q&A (so far, not fully translated):

Cutting gil by 1/10 across the board; current players should be aware. That means the gil you have in your inventory will be less in 2.0; however it will have the same effective purchasing power that it currently does since all vendor buy/sell prices will be 1/10 what it currently is, plus all rewards for quests and the like will be 1/10 what it currently is. So if you have 1m gil on your body when 1.0 closes, you'll have 100k on you when 2.0 starts.

Stay Calm and Farm

I'm sure it'll piss some people off, despite it actually making sense. Don't want the economy totally out of whack the second 2.0 launches with players with millions of gil on them; however I think they'll have a pretty absurdly hard time keeping it balanced anyway due to the fact that there will be many people with a lot of classes capped already and thus able to make more gil quickly; and 1/10 of their current gil or not, someone sitting there with a few hundred thousand gil is still going to have the power to tilt the economy.

Do we know if the actual AH feature is scheduled to be live with 2.0 or if it's a coming later thing? Because the current system with retainers and bazaars is obnoxious.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

The most important part of that Q&A (so far, not fully translated):

Cutting gil by 1/10 across the board; current players should be aware. That means the gil you have in your inventory will be less in 2.0; however it will have the same effective purchasing power that it currently does since all vendor buy/sell prices will be 1/10 what it currently is, plus all rewards for quests and the like will be 1/10 what it currently is. So if you have 1m gil on your body when 1.0 closes, you'll have 100k on you when 2.0 starts.

Stay Calm and Farm

I'm sure it'll piss some people off, despite it actually making sense. Don't want the economy totally out of whack the second 2.0 launches with players with millions of gil on them; however I think they'll have a pretty absurdly hard time keeping it balanced anyway due to the fact that there will be many people with a lot of classes capped already and thus able to make more gil quickly; and 1/10 of their current gil or not, someone sitting there with a few hundred thousand gil is still going to have the power to tilt the economy.

Do we know if the actual AH feature is scheduled to be live with 2.0 or if it's a coming later thing? Because the current system with retainers and bazaars is obnoxious.

That has nothing to do with the economy at all. People will be exactly as wealthy as they were before, they're just removing a digit from everything in order to make a gil feel like it's worth more. If people are running around with millions, then the game can afford to shed a few digits.

• Options
    draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I'm such a big fan of this. I've spent the last few weeks/months doing nothing but crafting and farming in an effort to make save some gil for 2.0 I have managed to save up 30 million gil over my playtime, this becomes only 3 million in 2.0. Will it take someone the same amount of time in 2.0 to go from 0 -3million as it took me to go from 0-30million. If not than I am upset by this change.

Vendor buy/sell items becoming 1/10th means nothing to me. No one buys anything off of vendors or sell anything because right now the buy prices are absurdly high and the sell prices are absurdly low. It all depends what other players are willing to pay/sell for and I doubt prices will immediately drop by 90% when 2.0 goes live which means I lose purchasing power

• Options
    draw4wild wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'm such a big fan of this. I've spent the last few weeks/months doing nothing but crafting and farming in an effort to make save some gil for 2.0 I have managed to save up 30 million gil over my playtime, this becomes only 3 million in 2.0. Will it take someone the same amount of time in 2.0 to go from 0 -3million as it took me to go from 0-30million. If not than I am upset by this change.

Vendor buy/sell items becoming 1/10th means nothing to me. No one buys anything off of vendors or sell anything because right now the buy prices are absurdly high and the sell prices are absurdly low. It all depends what other players are willing to pay/sell for and I doubt prices will immediately drop by 90% when 2.0 goes live which means I lose purchasing power

And this is exactly why it is absolutely about the economy.

Unlike what @jothki said, players will not be exactly as wealthy as before. Sure, sources of income from quests/vendors will be reduced proportionally; but most things are gotten from other players, whos prices won't be dictated by vendor prices. Something that sells for 100k in someones bazaar today won't be reduced by the players to 10k. It'll be like 50k or something, thus people with more money are still going to have access to more, and are going to be readily able to make more money out of the gate.

This is just limiting the available gold in the economy to slow the inevitable inflation that will occur as the game goes on. And I'm sure it's to reduce the influence of gold farmers, as much of their income is gotten via easily repeatable quests and rewards that can sell for a good amount. There's a reason that any given time you see a dozen or more farming bots at camp aetherstones doing leves and not crafting away.

• Options
    How about they just make it so the best items can actually be earned through reasonable means instead of just paying some guy millions of gil to craft it?

• Options
    Well, if it's anything like XI, there'll be a few 'tiers' of gear in whatever the current end-game content is.

There's usually one set/weapons that are gotten through reasonable means. In XI, right now, you can get a quite good set from curor and other things that are easily obtained by everyone.

Then there's the next set that requires effectively 'raids'. In XI that is things like empyrean weapons/armors, higher end magian trial weapons, etc. You can't get it alone.

But there's always another tier, sometimes the 'best', sometimes just below, that is either crafted or gotten from things that can be bought from other players. Relic weapon upgrades, +1's of high end gear that are from drops that you have to craft into; but requires very high level crafting, etc.

And all this is fine, and works well. Players like me who don't really care about being the 'best', can get the really good gear that is available to everyone. In XIV, that'd be like farmable gear from Grand Companies. Then there will be players who want to be more cutting edge with their gear who are in raid LS's that do stuff for empyrean weapons, or in XIV from the instanced raids. And then you'll have the people who live for the game and must be on the bleeding edge, willing to put hundreds of millions of gil into items for empyrean weapons, or whatever their equivalent is in XIV (if there even is those; looking at the mozk site, there is a purple crafted weapon that sits at the top of most categories).

Just like XI there will always be a route for players to go if they don't have the gil to play with the 'big kids', so to speak. The question is, will the XIV community be as rabidly elitist as the earlier XI community was, where you were SOL if you didn't have absurdly expensive equipment in your slots; or more casual like the modern XI community is where as long as you are reasonably equipped you can still tackle much of the content and participate (something that still is decisive in the XI community btw).

Really, the economy problem, IMO anyway, will come into play a lot in the leveling space; where you still need to keep relatively up to date on your gear, even to solo leves; but much (most?) of that gear is gotten via crafting, or getting lucky with a leve reward. This was true in the old days of XI, where it was actually (arguably) harder to survive the middle levels than it was to be at the cap, because of unrealistic expectations of gear, and the requirements to actually get that gear. A thought just occurred to me in how this relates exactly into the current economic situation of our country, but I'll spare you.

Part of it will depend on if they keep the speed of leveling in 2.0 that they currently have (my understanding is they won't); because that will play a big part in determining the importance of gear as you level; and will play into how much players can reasonably charge for crafted gear (and still expect it to sell, with newer players, or not as active players, only having access to 1/10 of the gil as before, meaning they simply can't pay even if they wanted to, high prices).

Anyway, I'm just speculating. I'd love for their reduction to actually work to balance things better; but the fact of the matter is that's still a lot of gil to have in the economy out of the gate, and having a lot of players already having crafting classes at the cap will just mean that the economy can't progress naturally. It doesn't mean it has to be actively hostile to newer/less active players, but I just have my concerns.

• Options
    I just basically never want to run into another situation where I'm told "sorry, we won't accept your high-level DRK because you didn't invest 2 million on the Hauberk". That seriously put a hamper on my ability to keep playing, something 2.0 absolutely cannot have. Ever.

• Options
    yeah, I know that put a lot of people off of XI, people who really wanted to play. Oh, you don't have o.kote? Sorry, you will never get a party 35+

IMO though, that was less SE's fault and more the playerbases fault. Well, and gold farmers. Their changes to NM drops and putting the non-EX versions of said drops in BCNM's was one of the best things ever to happen to XI.

It's a lesson they learned a long time ago. With the old XIV team, the one that made the base game, I could see them not learning from it.

But YoshiP and his crew, they seem to have a longer view of things and are more aware of whats up, and (hopefully) won't repeat stupid mistakes like that.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I logged in to check this morning, and I see that I now have the legacy icon in my character screen. Yay!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

This is totally not true. They didn't in early beta but people brought it up and they added them.

• Options
    TGS trailer was leaked, but immediately taken down due to embargo. You'll have to wait until later tonight to view it.

Oh wait, no you won't: http://www.mediafire.com/?9bqgc2cqmjdce91

• Options
    I'll wait to stream it but is there anything new in it?

• Options
    Not really. Some rather janky character closeups and a couple more CG shots.

Also a rather embarrassing emphasis on how this is a NEW FFXIV, with some extra highlighting effects on the REBORN portion of the subtitle. It smacks of desperation, and goes against the laid-back and confident attitude of the team behind it.

Maybe instead of constantly emphasizing how this is a new and better game, how about you not keep drawing attention to the fact that the original was a piece of crap? It's counterproductive in making us forget about the original.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Well, I wonder how much of that has to do with the current team and how much of it is the marketing department being a marketing department.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Well, I wonder how much of that has to do with the current team and how much of it is the marketing department being a marketing department.

I would guess almost entirely marketing.

I mean they have to. FFXIV was, well, trash at launch. That is what most people remember. The marketing team has to hammer home the point that this is new despite still have XIV in the title.

Remember, originally they were just going to scrap XIV and this was supposed to be an all new game. Not wanting to piss off what fans they had left they decided to go this right (kudos to them), but it comes with its own problems. Specifically the baggage of having XIV in the name.

I would not at all be surprised if the marketing department didn't beg and plead to drop XIV completely from the title. Since they obviously didn't get that wish they have to aggressively bring the message to people who have not kept up with this news that this is, for all intents and purposes, a new game.

The marketing guys have their work cut out for them IMHO.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSohOcew0-8&hd=1

I was worried after seeing the noticeable dip in visual quality and choppier animation, but it's been confirmed to be footage from the PS3 version. Phew.

• Options
    "A world lies on the brink of ruin, and you are its only hope."

That is so meta.

• Options
    That...was a pretty boring trailer.

And yeah, the choppy animation was pretty jarring. They need to get that worked out before it's released on the PS3 because that's gonna be a big deal for them in Japan.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Yoshi-P proves that he's also better at Square's PR management in addition to MMORPG development. They should just rename the company "Yoshida Works" at this rate.
    Hello,

I have a message from Yoshi-P regarding the TGS trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Naoki_Yoshida View Post
    Producer/Director Yoshida here.

The assets used to create the trailer were actually older than what was shown during last week's Letter from the Producer Live. Also, depending on the area shown, the lighting, as well as hair, neck movement, and facial properties are still being adjusted.

The time period in which these assets were taken was within the scope of what we planned; however, clearly the stuttering of the video was not intended and we're currently investigating this. Today, well I guess yesterday, I went to the Tokyo Game Show floor to see it in person, but since the trailer playing there didn't have any problems, the possibility that this is an encoding-related problem is quite high.

I apologize for such a rudimentary mistake, but once we figure out what caused it, we'll be sure to let you know.

What an utterly boneheaded thing to do. It's not like they were lacking in more up-to-date footage to show off.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    ShimazuShimazu Registered User regular
    I am getting ridiculously excited to play 2.0. Gotta set that bar high enough that I'll be dissappointed no matter how good it is, yo. Kind of hoping we get to do a full re-customization (race and all) of our characters on the transition, I've missed any discussion on the topic if it has already happened. :O

FFXIV - Cao Cao @ Sargatanas
  • Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

This is totally not true. They didn't in early beta but people brought it up and they added them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHebsQZmxMg

instant start/stop. No 'turning' animations.

Again, you guys must be playing an entirely different guild wars then anything I am, or you have no idea what FFXIV animations I'm talking about. Because they are nothing alike.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Looks like they "fixed" the TGS trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ88oe0R_lw&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt over the "older build" excuse, but the last thing they need is cause doubt with shoddy-looking previews. Jesus Christ Square, you're on thin ice with this game as it is.

• Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHebsQZmxMg

instant start/stop. No 'turning' animations.

Again, you guys must be playing an entirely different guild wars then anything I am, or you have no idea what FFXIV animations I'm talking about. Because they are nothing alike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sy0qokpzos

Animations how do they work.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    The Asura are actually a great example of transitional motion animations. If you stop abruptly at the right angle they will hop on one foot to keep from falling over.

• Options
    The Asura are actually a great example of transitional motion animations. If you stop abruptly at the right angle they will hop on one foot to keep from falling over.

Indeed. Although that is too be expected as it seems likely the animators spent as much time working on the Asura animations as they did for all the other races combined. :P

@chocobolicious

Yeah we must be playing two different games. GW2 has start/stop animations (among many others). I know this because the start/stop animations kind of annoy me since I feel like I am loosing precious time getting up to speed or stopping. Even though it is purely in my head and I am crazy. :P

• Options
    I think we're talking about two different things. You go no faster or slower from start to stop. It's all immediate. You turn instantly. There is no turn radius.

This is not the case in FFXIV. You actually take several steps at a slower walk speed before you get up to full speed. If you let go, they take a couple steps before stopping. When you turn, its in a circular radius.

These are the animations I'm talking about, that GW2 lack. The 'hopping on one foot' thing means nothing, because you still stop instantly and its still an immediate transition between motion and none. There is no in between. Its either 1 or 0 in GW2, because it's a PC game with PC inputs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    In that case, yes, you have a point. Although I still liked the building up to speed.

• Options
    Hah, I was starting to wonder what the heck was going on. Now it makes sense.

In a game like GW2 where you have to move around a lot in combat I certainly wouldn't want that build up to speed or slowing down.

Though, from what I remember of FFXIV, it was a lot less hectic and I don't really remember any "oh sit I gotta move now!" moments. Of course I only got to around 31 or so, so maybe things are different when fighting Bosses.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I have been notified that I have the legacy campaign now. Wooo!

• Options
    S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Hah, I was starting to wonder what the heck was going on. Now it makes sense.

In a game like GW2 where you have to move around a lot in combat I certainly wouldn't want that build up to speed or slowing down.

Though, from what I remember of FFXIV, it was a lot less hectic and I don't really remember any "oh sit I gotta move now!" moments. Of course I only got to around 31 or so, so maybe things are different when fighting Bosses.

Yes, much different when fighting bosses, which is why announcing region specific servers is such a plus.
    Too many situations where you think you moved in time or to the right place, but the server lag says no and punishes you relentlessly.

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
This discussion has been closed.