As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn] Next Beta This Wednesday July 10 (Lasts Five Days!)

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    gathering disciplines and killing those floating elemental things. I couldn't get any water or earth shards from mining though, couldn't find nodes in the areas they were supposed to be in. Maybe botany can get them all.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    gathering disciplines and killing those floating elemental things. I couldn't get any water or earth shards from mining though, couldn't find nodes in the areas they were supposed to be in. Maybe botany can get them all.

That's annoying. I was hoping to avoid gathering by going Leatherworker.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    every time I get displeased with a mechanic in FFXIV I think back to how it was in FFXI and I'm like "jesus christ, at least it isn't like that."

although overall i think they've done a great job with most of the mechanics.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    All the crafting and gathering disciplines are interconnected. Nobody's using the market right now ( that I know of anyway), but come release you'll be able to buy them dirt cheap most likely. And prolly make some cash selling stacks of leather.

• Options
    All the crafting and gathering disciplines are interconnected. Nobody's using the market right now ( that I know of anyway), but come release you'll be able to buy them dirt cheap most likely. And prolly make some cash selling stacks of leather.

I thought they were unsellable for some reason...

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

mine in the starter areas of ul'dah and you can get heaps of water shards

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

Yeah, you're right, it was ice that I couldn't get. They were supposed to be in La Noscea and I could never find nodes there.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Just putzing around on my legacy character. Couple observations:

I had no trouble switching between any classes I already had unlocked. I wanted to try some of the gridania quests but my lancer was too high so I had to swap to pugilist (Bought a fist off the market board.) and had no trouble. Archer, CNJ and THM all worked fine as well and I've never been near any guild buildings but lancer.

I have so damn much money and such. holy crap. Everything is so cheap.

I am loving the music.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Rawr now i'm a Gladiator!

9OuJWCY.jpg

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Kana wrote: »

Yeah, you're right, it was ice that I couldn't get. They were supposed to be in La Noscea and I could never find nodes there.

The ice shard nodes in La Noscea are level 20

Shards are all level 1, but every level of node I've found has them

I believe that crystals replace them at level 25, but I'm not sure since I haven't gotten my mining that high yet

edit: and the level 5 mature trees around Grid have ice and earth shards, so if you need those you can get them with a minimal investment in botany

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Finally got around to the Ifrit fight and beat him on my 2nd try through the duty finder. Didn't feel that hard, the first group we lost since we didn't burn the shard down fast enough. Pretty excited about bosses later on, though, it's a pretty fun battle.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    I hope we see the level of extra content that was put into FFXI (Holidays/expansions/events).

They were doing decent in 1.0. Was an interesting summer event involving giant bombs, the herding and protection thereof... and "fire-resistant armor" (To be fair, it DID have good fire resist... but that was a bonus).

Are the holiday achievements listed from 1.0?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I hope we see the level of extra content that was put into FFXI (Holidays/expansions/events).

They were doing decent in 1.0. Was an interesting summer event involving giant bombs, the herding and protection thereof... and "fire-resistant armor" (To be fair, it DID have good fire resist... but that was a bonus).

Are the holiday achievements listed from 1.0?

Well, the portraits and the log seem to have carried over from the old lodestone.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    Finally moved onto the dungeon quests.
    Tanked the first, went very well, shame I was in an entirely Japanese group though. Would've been nice to have a little conversation going at least.
    Didn't wait too long on the duty finder.

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried group teleporting in the beta yet? Like, if you're standing next to me in a party and I teleport somewhere, you get a pop up saying you can teleport with me? I know this was a thing in 1.0 due to the silly anima system they had in place. Don't know if it's a thing in 2.0

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Robes wrote: »
    Has anyone tried group teleporting in the beta yet? Like, if you're standing next to me in a party and I teleport somewhere, you get a pop up saying you can teleport with me? I know this was a thing in 1.0 due to the silly anima system they had in place. Don't know if it's a thing in 2.0

It is a thing, so long as they are in the same zone and already touched the crystal you are porting to it will ask party members if they would like to go too. As far as I know it does not cost any additional gil.

It pretty much the best thing :D

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    So, as an archer/bard, is it best to stick with Gridania/Twin Serpents for my Grand Company or what's the story?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Come on, phase 4!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So, as an archer/bard, is it best to stick with Gridania/Twin Serpents for my Grand Company or what's the story?

From what I can tell Grand Company is all just personal preference. You get access to them well after you get access to all the cities and you aren't forced to choose any particular one. You can also change your Grand Company whenever you like (Although once you reach a certain rank in the company you choose it erases all progress in other companies.)

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

From what I can tell Grand Company is all just personal preference. You get access to them well after you get access to all the cities and you aren't forced to choose any particular one. You can also change your Grand Company whenever you like (Although once you reach a certain rank in the company you choose it erases all progress in other companies.)

Yeah, I'm at that point. I just want to make sure that I won't miss out on any gear (à la the two factions in Burning Crusade of WoW) that best suits a certain class or job.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    barda.png

hunting by moonlight. Too bad she won't be around for phase 4, I quite liked Roe archer!

Also, Hauke mansion was simple, but I loved the atmosphere. Ready to go for phase 4. Hell, just release the game already, I'm ready to play. Well, except I probably need to decide on a race/gender for launch. I've narrowed it down to five options . . ..

soylenth on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I'm level 7, running around doing random quests and killing stuff because its in a Hunting Log. This game is so MMO Vanilla. Deliver this to that guy. Go kill 5 of these. Get 4 of these bear asses. Auto attack, push the button to apply my DoT, push the button to hit hard with my axe. Vanilla vanilla vanilla vanilla.

So uh, guys... uhm... why am I loving this so much? I honestly don't get it.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm level 7, running around doing random quests and killing stuff because its in a Hunting Log. This game is so MMO Vanilla. Deliver this to that guy. Go kill 5 of these. Get 4 of these bear asses. Auto attack, push the button to apply my DoT, push the button to hit hard with my axe. Vanilla vanilla vanilla vanilla.

So uh, guys... uhm... why am I loving this so much? I honestly don't get it.

Aesthetics.

Part Graphics, part Gameplay, part Music, each one on it's own may be decent or just so-so, but it is how they all work together to present you with the overall aesthetics of the game. They aren't doing anything particular revolutionary, it's all pretty standard and straightforward. But the polish, and the narrative, and how it all rolls around in your brain is what does it.

I came across this video recently that explains it in part (ignore the silly voice ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU&amp;list=PL8B7D974F87E50BD1&amp;index=14

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So I've learned the requirement for switching jobs even if you have a 1.0 character is to have finished your lvl 10 starter job quest. After that you are free to swap.

However it was kind of moot because as it turns out races all wield weapons the same this time around it seems.. Hmmmm.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    So...do thaums outgrow the 'weak and boring' thing at higher levels?

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    So...do thaums outgrow the 'weak and boring' thing at higher levels?

I've never really felt weak on mine and i'm lvl 22.

Boring is subjective though, it depends on your playstyle. THM is incredibly high damage and you have to weave back and forth between your High burn stance and your Mana regen stance. They are great for AoE which is incredibly useful in parties and dungeons, and they are also really high single target damage. Plus they add CC to the mix which again makes them good in parties.

Weak they most certainly are not, but how exciting you find them depends entirely on the individual I would say.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Huh...out of Lancer, Pugilist, Conjurer, Gladiator, and Thaumaturge, Thaum felt the weakest and least fun to me over the first 10 levels. Very early impression, admittedly.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Kamar wrote: »
    Huh...out of Lancer, Pugilist, Conjurer, Gladiator, and Thaumaturge, Thaum felt the weakest and least fun to me over the first 10 levels. Very early impression, admittedly.

I think you have to really like the whole caster mentality to really like the THM or CNJ. although I've heard more people not liking the CNJ over the THM personally. (In terms of being dull that is). I haven't tried CNJ myself so I can't really give my impression but THM was the first class I tried and I enjoyed it quite a bit because of how explosive the damage was and how much fun they were in dungeons.

That being said I also Enjoy Pugilist, Lancer and Gladiator, but all for different reasons. THM really is about getting your Astral Fire buff up quick, burning things down quickly with Fire/Thunder and the swapping to Umbral Ice with Transpose to regen mana while you deal some ok damage with Ice.

Then once you get your Scathe spell (non-elemental instant cast) you start weaving that in between the plane shifts (usually cast it right before you use transpose since they are on separate cooldowns) all the while keeping your Thunder refreshed.

Eventually you get Fire II and Ice II which are your AoE versions which lets you do even more cool stuff (they do a bit less damage than Fire and Ice respectively but they do it to all targets in the AoE). You really see them shine in Dungeons because of that.

I don't know much beyond that but they are basically your standard Direct Damage bursty ranged mage class. Oh and you kite things by putting them to sleep, or using that in dungeons to control adds and pulls.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I actually like CNJ...I dunno, THM just isn't my thing yet. I always take every class up to cap in MMOs (I level while I watch TV, keeps the ADHD demons at bay so I can sit through shows), so I'll have plenty of opportunity to change my mind.

edit: I will say I really don't see that high damage yet, everything else seems to kill as fast or faster while having more buttons to press. I can enjoy the mindlessness of a simplistic high damage caster, I loved WotLK arcane mages in WoW...I'm just not feeling that damage-y yet.

Kamar on
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Anyone else think the limsa music sounds REALLY similar to some of the pieces in How to Train Your Dragon?

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I finally got a chance to give a level 15 THM a try by doing some Levequests and Sastasha a few times. Doing group content was a lot more fun than solo content where I felt very fragile. I liked switching between the fire and ice attacks, but I really missed the mobility of the ARC. The pace of the combat felt faster on the ARC due to all the attacks being instant, but damage felt about the same compared to what my ARC was doing at level 15. Not an easy choice and I still want to try out an Arcanist in Phase 4.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I haven't played my ARC in a few days to so I did a Halatali to better compare it to a THM and I definitely prefer the ARC.

• Options
    ICUb wrote: »
    Anyone else think the limsa music sounds REALLY similar to some of the pieces in How to Train Your Dragon?

I'm guessing you've watched that movie quite a few times, because I remember none of the music from my one viewing.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    just started playing this, did all the intro quests in the town and the first set of "go kill bugs/etc" and ended up at lvl 4 and about 85% to 5.
    yet those quests reward gear that requires lvl 5 to equip and my class guy says "come back at lvl 5 for your next quest"
    that seems... ill-planned.

other than that, it's fun and so pretty

• Options
    edited July 2013
    That always happened to me so I ended up grinding 3-4 or 4-5 in a couple of minutes. There are also a lot of really quick fetch or bring the message to a NPC quests in Gridania that can fill in some missing xp if you're a little bit short.

Since you're doing the intro quests, they'll reward with a level 5 everything but pants. You'll need to buy a pair of level 5 pants from an armor vendor in order to complete a main story quest, and if you don't do that quest you'll quickly run out of quests to do. Soon you'll be getting a quest that sends you to Bannock (or something spelled something like that) and there an armor and weapon vendor there, or you can buy them from a vendor in the market in Old Gridania.

Also make sure to explore New and Old Gridania for quests and to find all the Aethernet Shard that allow you to quickly travel to various guilds and locations. Once you have them all it will also unlock quick travels to the Northern and Central Shroud Gates which will save you a lot of travel time.

Cormac on
  • Options
    just started playing this, did all the intro quests in the town and the first set of "go kill bugs/etc" and ended up at lvl 4 and about 85% to 5.
    yet those quests reward gear that requires lvl 5 to equip and my class guy says "come back at lvl 5 for your next quest"

You must be skipping a ton of the sidequests (non-class related) because I was over-levelled when I did my class quests.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    ICUb wrote: »

I'm guessing you've watched that movie quite a few times, because I remember none of the music from my one viewing.

That and I picked up the soundtrack. Good tunes!

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

You must be skipping a ton of the sidequests (non-class related) because I was over-levelled when I did my class quests.

no, when I said "all", I meant "every quest on the map in the two city areas"

• Options

Make sure you do the FATEs that pop up as well

delphinidaes.png
  • Options

There are also quests from outside that you pick up which should overlap with the in-town quests.

This discussion has been closed.