Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[EAST] PAX East 2013 Hotel Discussion Thread [link in OP]

1356724

Posts

  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Verizon's LTE is utterly unstoppable in Boston. AT&T 3g is garbage there.

    Axon on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey folks, hotel thread :)

  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So, I forget. When you book the hotel through the PAX site, does it let you put in a members # if you are a part of a hotel's club? Just asking for a friend.

    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • RastRast Registered User regular
    No. The discount is through OnPeak and not through the actual hotel. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure on this.

    Pax East 2015: Hotel [X] Passes [X] PokeCrawl [ ] Pure Joy [X]
  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, I forget. When you book the hotel through the PAX site, does it let you put in a members # if you are a part of a hotel's club? Just asking for a friend.

    Not via OnPeak, no (from what I remember). But both times I stayed at the Westin, they asked me for my Starwood Preferred Guest number at check-in.

    EDIT: I stand corrected, consensus is that you can enter your members number.

    Angrypasta on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Angrypasta wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, I forget. When you book the hotel through the PAX site, does it let you put in a members # if you are a part of a hotel's club? Just asking for a friend.

    Not via OnPeak, no (from what I remember). But both times I stayed at the Westin, they asked me for my Starwood Preferred Guest number at check-in.

    Yeah, you can call the hotel directly after the reservation has been transferred from OnPeak to the hotel (usually 1-2 weeks prior to PAX) and add your club points number that way, but it won't change the price since you will have booked within a fixed price block.

  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    That is odd I remember there was a space for that in the reservation form but I always waited until I had my rooms reserved.

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I've definitely filled out my SPG number during reservation both at the Westin at East and the Sheraton at Prime and it showed up on my account.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ricin wrote: »
    That is odd I remember there was a space for that in the reservation form but I always waited until I had my rooms reserved.

    Yeah, I think there is now that you mention it... But I always manage to not do it until later. Well, ignore me on this one.

  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Thanks, everyone.

    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    I just wanted to point out that a couple people mentioned that the Westin charges you up front but I do not believe that is true. Last year I did not get charged until after we had checked out. Maybe some other people got charged in advanced but not me. Also for a 4 night stay last year we ended up paying around $800.

  • AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    mgriff3456 wrote: »
    I just wanted to point out that a couple people mentioned that the Westin charges you up front but I do not believe that is true. Last year I did not get charged until after we had checked out. Maybe some other people got charged in advanced but not me. Also for a 4 night stay last year we ended up paying around $800.

    The Westin didn't charge my credit card until I checked out. It may be different depending on your method of payment (debit vs credit card, etc).

  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Angrypasta wrote: »
    mgriff3456 wrote: »
    I just wanted to point out that a couple people mentioned that the Westin charges you up front but I do not believe that is true. Last year I did not get charged until after we had checked out. Maybe some other people got charged in advanced but not me. Also for a 4 night stay last year we ended up paying around $800.

    The Westin didn't charge my credit card until I checked out. It may be different depending on your method of payment (debit vs credit card, etc).

    I used to work at a hotel. If you put down your debit, it puts a hold on those funds so you can't use them. If you put down credit, it is just an authorization. I am sure they run it the same way at the Westin (and every other hotel).

    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly if you use a credit card at the Westin they only do an authorization for the room amount. If you use a debit they put a hold which immediately reduced funds available and also take out a set amount per day for incidentals.

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The above is true, since I've had that happen to me...and I missed the sign that said that using a debit would put a hold on funds...and my balance was under the hotel cost. The fact that I got paid $300 in cash like 5 hours before my flight saved my ass that weekend.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Angrypasta wrote: »
    mgriff3456 wrote: »
    I just wanted to point out that a couple people mentioned that the Westin charges you up front but I do not believe that is true. Last year I did not get charged until after we had checked out. Maybe some other people got charged in advanced but not me. Also for a 4 night stay last year we ended up paying around $800.

    The Westin didn't charge my credit card until I checked out. It may be different depending on your method of payment (debit vs credit card, etc).

    I used to work at a hotel. If you put down your debit, it puts a hold on those funds so you can't use them. If you put down credit, it is just an authorization. I am sure they run it the same way at the Westin (and every other hotel).

    Yup, I always get charged after receiving my folio (summary of stay/charges).

    "Perception is reality." -unknown
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    me and my wife are trying for the Westin this year. the last 3 years we stayed by my parents south of boston and then drove in but staying at the hotel sounds like it would me the weekend that much better.

    7US7VWW.png
  • AsphyxiatedAsphyxiated Registered User
    Does anyone know if it's already too late to book at the Westin for that weekend? We were hoping this year to be able to get rooms there, but we're fairly new at planning for PAX. I'm not sure when they've sold out in previous years.

  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if it's already too late to book at the Westin for that weekend? We were hoping this year to be able to get rooms there, but we're fairly new at planning for PAX. I'm not sure when they've sold out in previous years.

    The OnPeak system hasn't been opened for PAX East 2013. No one has booked anything yet, unless it was outside the block, in which case good luck keeping your room when you arrive.

    Reading the thread can help with questions. ;)

    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • AsphyxiatedAsphyxiated Registered User
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's already too late to book at the Westin for that weekend? We were hoping this year to be able to get rooms there, but we're fairly new at planning for PAX. I'm not sure when they've sold out in previous years.

    The OnPeak system hasn't been opened for PAX East 2013. No one has booked anything yet, unless it was outside the block, in which case good luck keeping your room when you arrive.

    Reading the thread can help with questions. ;)

    I read through the thread to see, but I wasn't sure since we just tried to look at booking for that weekend and the Westin said they were full up. But that's a relief, thanks! :)

  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's already too late to book at the Westin for that weekend? We were hoping this year to be able to get rooms there, but we're fairly new at planning for PAX. I'm not sure when they've sold out in previous years.

    The OnPeak system hasn't been opened for PAX East 2013. No one has booked anything yet, unless it was outside the block, in which case good luck keeping your room when you arrive.

    Reading the thread can help with questions. ;)


    that said, you DO want to keep a very close watch on things, because the westin is likely to book up very quickly once onpeak is up. it's likely it won't be up until next month, but personally i wouldn't chance it. checking once a day is the safest thing.

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2012
    OK, to be as clear as possible:

    If you see a link to anything pax-related that has not been posted SOMEWHERE official first (like paxsite.com, http://twitter.com/official_pax, or by @heels or a PA employee on twitter or on this forum), please notify @Robert Khoo and @heels immediately, and do not go posting it everywhere. Chances are it wasn't supposed to be available yet.

    zerzhul on
  • MarkJWMarkJW Registered User regular
    Aye aye captain. :)

    PAX Prime 2013 Checklist   ➤   ✔ Enforcer Badge   ✔ Hotel   ✔ Flight

    ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    In addition, people making reservations via leaked links have a high chance of the reservations being wiped. This is not official information, so take it with a grain of salt, but I would not be surprised if any reservation made just now got wiped out.

  • HuskyDorkHuskyDork Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    It's probably a better question for the OnPeak people, but will the people who booked need to re-book when it's official?

    (EDIT: Just saw the above. Thanks.)

    HuskyDork on
    LQckybu.png
  • ChorazinChorazin Registered User regular
    Looks like I'll be checking my booking every day unil it's officially announced to see if it was cleared!

    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • ddrussianinjaddrussianinja Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Looks like I'll be checking my booking every day unil it's officially announced to see if it was cleared!

    Wait, so you already booked at the Westin? When and how did you do this?

  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Registered User regular
    whaaaaaat? now i'm freaking out, you guys. what happened???

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    OK, to be as clear as possible:

    If you see a link to anything pax-related that has not been posted SOMEWHERE official first (like paxsite.com, http://twitter.com/official_pax, or by @heels or a PA employee on twitter or on this forum), please notify @Robert Khoo and @heels immediately, and do not go posting it everywhere. Chances are it wasn't supposed to be available yet.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    In addition, people making reservations via leaked links have a high chance of the reservations being wiped. This is not official information, so take it with a grain of salt, but I would not be surprised if any reservation made just now got wiped out.

    tl;dr: Reservation link was leaked. It was taken down, any reservations made will probably be wiped out.

  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Well I guess it's time to start compulsively checking the forums every hour. Already set Official_PAX to mobile notifications, but if I recall last year the hotel link wasn't even posted to the official twitter feed until the Westin block was already sold out.

    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    That is correct flatline. Was posted on the forums a day before it went through to twitter. By the time I got to it Westin was sold out (< a day) But it wasn't all bad since Seaport I found to be better. So basically check it every time you sit down at a computer.

    One clip, one kill.

    I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • ddrussianinjaddrussianinja Registered User regular
    flatline wrote: »
    Well I guess it's time to start compulsively checking the forums every hour. Already set Official_PAX to mobile notifications, but if I recall last year the hotel link wasn't even posted to the official twitter feed until the Westin block was already sold out.

    The Westin block didn't COMPLETELY sell out for the entire 4-day block until a while after, but doubles sold out with 24 hours or so of it going live on Twitter. It should be mildly easier to get a room if you just need a single or if you don't want to reserve the entire weekend. But if you want a room that has two beds for the entire weekend, yeah, you'll need to jump on it quickly.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The forum post last year was an official one though, not a leak.

  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Registered User regular
    how did it get leaked? is it safe to discuss now that it's down? i don't want to be perpetuating anything, but i'm very curious about what exactly happened.

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • MarkJWMarkJW Registered User regular
    Some dude posted some hyperlink to some website. The website was transmitted to computers via hypertext transfer protocol. It looked legit in Mosaic.

    PAX Prime 2013 Checklist   ➤   ✔ Enforcer Badge   ✔ Hotel   ✔ Flight

    ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    When the official link goes live, is it usually posted as a reply in this thread, or edited into the OP first?

    Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod


    It doesn't matter how it happened. We aren't going to have that discussion here. If you need to discuss it, pm me.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    kemikal wrote: »
    When the official link goes live, is it usually posted as a reply in this thread, or edited into the OP first?

    It is usually posted here first, or in a new thread, by someone official. Then twitter, then paxsite.com.

  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    It would be nice if there were a subscription option like you see on most Vbulletin sites, where I could set a given thread for "Instant Notification via Email". Then we could have a mod create a thread and lock it, and then just post in it when hotel reg went live. Boom, everyone gets an email.

    edit: as it stands, "Bookmarking" a thread doesn't appear to do anything at all, other than allow me to view a page displaying all of my bookmarks. The site won't proactively notify me of new activity in a bookmarked thread until I visit the forum. Please correct me if I'm wrong and I will do a Happy Dance.

    edit the second: yeah, found the Notification Options area... Only three instances where you can elect to receive emails:
    • Notify me when people mention me.
    • Notify me of private messages.
    • Notify me when I earn a badge.
    So looks like that's out and I'll just keep compulsively checking the forums.

    flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I would like to humbly request it gets posted here rather than a new thread (or at least in addition to a new thread). It's nice to be able to check my bookmarks for my other PA discussions and also be able to see if OnPeak goes live.

    3DS Friend Code: 4725 7947 2964
    PSN ID: Wraithverge
    Kapol
This discussion has been closed.