Options

Trailer for [Dark Souls] sequel shown at VGA, PC and dedicated servers promised. *squeal!*

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah I didn't reroll a new guy, instead I ventured forth into Undead Parish. Weirdly this time the gate behind the armored boar was shut. It wasn't the first time and I was able to get the basement key out of there before dying. Glitch mayhap?

Also, I managed to kill the boar AND one of the caped knights AND the Giant knight in the tower. Then some little shit invaded and I tried getting back to the Undead Burg bonfire but nooooooo, stupid game wouldn't let me. Apparently I need to kill the guy. Sure, me versus a Giant, horned, black and red, smoking knight looking guy with a sword that sets things on fire? What could possibly go wrong with that?

Turns out everything went according to plan! hahahaha! What a punk.
    Yeah he killed me.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't reroll a new guy, instead I ventured forth into Undead Parish. Weirdly this time the gate behind the armored boar was shut. It wasn't the first time and I was able to get the basement key out of there before dying. Glitch mayhap?

Also, I managed to kill the boar AND one of the caped knights AND the Giant knight in the tower. Then some little shit invaded and I tried getting back to the Undead Burg bonfire but nooooooo, stupid game wouldn't let me. Apparently I need to kill the guy. Sure, me versus a Giant, horned, black and red, smoking knight looking guy with a sword that sets things on fire? What could possibly go wrong with that?

Yeah he killed me.

Was his name xxdark-something or other? Fucker killed me in the parish too today and the description sounds similar. I think he was hacking, because I got in some pretty solid hits (I'm level 40ish with some decent gear) and didn't even scratch him.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    While taking a stint as Forest Hunter for the fog ring on a char, I invade a guy who throws up soul mass as I spawn in. I duck around the corner to some obscure ledge (It does not look like you can cross it, it's that narrow, and nothing's back there) and turn into a bush for the next three minutes. I go check on some stuff, come back, break camo, and go hunting. It ended badly for him, I got off a backstab to start the fight and another person invaded too. Serves him right for trying to cheap shot me before I can even act.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    How viable is a pure tanky (i.e. Knight) build, vs a dodge-shit-and-pray build (i.e. everything else)?

Used to be crazy viable with the Eagle Shield, maybe it's slightly less now that they've reduced that a little, but I think it's still pretty viable.

Good to know. I'm still trying to dodge things, but, well, we'll see.

I finally decided on my start. Deprived. I didn't intend to -- I was just being silly, but then the "dodge this guy and counterattack" guy in the tutorial, the one in heavy armor, dropped his chestpiece.

... Welp. Can't ignore something like that. That's fate, it is.

• Options
    ok so every time I've been invaded today it's been by somebody who has infinite health. Like I'll get in a good hit for 300 damage and their health is still completely full.

starting to think about saying fuck it and playing the entire game hollow.

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    ok so every time I've been invaded today it's been by somebody who has infinite health. Like I'll get in a good hit for 300 damage and their health is still completely full.

starting to think about saying fuck it and playing the entire game hollow.

Look up their name in the player list in gfwl and report them and then set them to avoid. I've had three invaders tonight and luckily didn't have anyone using health hacks. There was one guy who never seemed to run out of great fireballs though.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »

Yeah he killed me.

Was his name xxdark-something or other? Fucker killed me in the parish too today and the description sounds similar. I think he was hacking, because I got in some pretty solid hits (I'm level 40ish with some decent gear) and didn't even scratch him.

No, I managed to get him once and he definitely took a bit of damage. He was lvl 44 or something. I thought only people your own level +/- 10 levels could invade you? In any case it didn't matter since rage quitting before he killed me meant I got revert to the autosave when I played it just now :D
    Right after I'd killed the caped knight on the upper level there. Didn't lose the souls or anything. Fuck YEAH!

And to top it off, I took out the Black Knight thats inside the Parish. Two hits! Both of them head on, though obviously dodgin his attacks. Triggered the shortcut to Firelink Shrine too and also picked up the Halberd which does mad damage. Put the winged spear away for now.

?.jpg

?.jpg

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Beat the Iron Golem by switching to the Great Club+5. Maybe it's because it's striking damage, but it made much shorter work of the Golem's hp, despite being only fractionally stronger in attack power.

Now I'm farting around Anor Londo. Beat the two gargoyle reduxes, but Sentinels are still giving me a real bitch of a time. And after I get past them, I'm not sure how to deal with the super-long-range-javelin-throwing dudes that do insane damage.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Ugh. Seriously. I have about a 98% fail rate for summoning/ being invaded. This is fucking ridiculous. I might as well just play in offline mode, cause I basically am anyway.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    I might have to join the dark wraiths. I have been using the cracked orbs I found and having a blast. I fought one guy fisticuffs using bare hands. We went on for about ten minutes before he accidentally attracted the balder knights. I'm not terribly tweaked either. Falchion+5, Cestus offhand, and wanderers outfit +3. Every battle has been close and drawn out. Win or lose, it is a blast. I can see why there are so many invaders.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Just beat O&S...

If any of you use the Live name "DrDerpMD", I want to buy you a beer. Dude had his sign placed at the bonfire. He recognized it was my first time in the place and took the lead, giving me a guided tour to the good items like the silver knight armor and shit, and taking the vanguard on all the enemies. He had a really awesome morning star that just wrecked face something fierce.

Boss fight:
    Between him and Solaire, I barely got in 4 hits on Smough before he died. Super-Ornstein scared the piss out of me so I kept my distance and let DrDerp handle him with magic while Solaire slowly committed suicide. Tossed a fireball whenever I saw an opening. Super easy fight.

Afterwards I sent him a message him on Live, thanking him for his help and complimenting his skills, and got a reply of "No problem! It was nice helping you. Have a good day, and good luck with the rest of the game."

Dude was a class act.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I really like Black Knight weapons. I've been lucky this run, I already have the sword, greatsword, greataxe and the halberd. I'm currently rocking the axe, I really really like it.

JZTHD.jpg

What other weapons do you think resemble the moveset of the Black knight sword/axe but are more powerful? I'm currently doing 601 R1.Weapon damage, but I've seen people say that these weapons are good for mid-game only?

Also, regarding Crystal caves:
    After defeating Sheath, that's the end of the caves right? Or is there more to explore? I was able to grab the blue titanite slab.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I love getting summoned to help versus boss dudes, so far my favorite fight is the queelag one, Beat it first try on my tune and have had a great time helping other people. My favorite so far was the dude that actually attacked the egg bearers... that went REAL well.

I have determined that I am a great dude to summon. I have a faith based charactor and thus can heal 10 times while a phantom.... this leads to me simply backing off for a moment then coming back without my host having to waste estus, or more likely, let me die.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Just beat O&S...

If any of you use the Live name "DrDerpMD", I want to buy you a beer. Dude had his sign placed at the bonfire. He recognized it was my first time in the place and took the lead, giving me a guided tour to the good items like the silver knight armor and shit, and taking the vanguard on all the enemies. He had a really awesome morning star that just wrecked face something fierce.

Boss fight:
    Between him and Solaire, I barely got in 4 hits on Smough before he died. Super-Ornstein scared the piss out of me so I kept my distance and let DrDerp handle him with magic while Solaire slowly committed suicide. Tossed a fireball whenever I saw an opening. Super easy fight.

Afterwards I sent him a message him on Live, thanking him for his help and complimenting his skills, and got a reply of "No problem! It was nice helping you. Have a good day, and good luck with the rest of the game."

Dude was a class act.

Fuckin' love jolly co-operation.

I get the feeling I'm probably overleveled for O&S co-op now though :< Level 63 is probably too far out of that range.

• Options
    Okay, so where's a good place to invade in the level 50-60 range? I have no luck with eye orbs.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Anor Londo probably. O&S is a 55ishish fight for a lot of people, and a lot of people go human there to get help with the boss.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    How is the PVP on PC? I enjoyed duels at Kiln quite a lot on the PS3. Are hackers a big issue or more of something you only see occasionally? Going to have to buy a PS3-style controller before I begin to properly play this game again. Just feels weird on the 360 controller.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Achire wrote: »
    How is the PVP on PC? I enjoyed duels at Kiln quite a lot on the PS3. Are hackers a big issue or more of something you only see occasionally? Going to have to buy a PS3-style controller before I begin to properly play this game again. Just feels weird on the 360 controller.

Everything I've seen would seem to indicate that hackers are pretty much the only thing going on in PC PvP.

• Options
    I haven't run into a single hacker, but it's not like I'm actively seeking out PVP

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I haven't fought any pvp hackers so far, actually. Of course, i've only fought around... 7 people or so so that's not a good sample size.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I think Ive only seen one hacker out of around 20 fights, and im not even sure.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Since I didn't like the way the port was handled, I decided I wouldn't buy it until it was having a significant sale.

But then today one of my friends sent me a key for it. THANKS A LOT, FRIEND.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    People were hacking on the console too, but it's obviously easier on the PC. I've invaded a LOT and been invaded a good deal, and I only dealt with one guy I suspected of stat hacking (due to the gear he was wearing). Overall, the PC experience has been very enjoyable. The performance gains make a huge difference, I love it.

I just killed Seath and cut the tail. My sorceress is pretty stoked right now :) Time to find Logan.. :)

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Anor Londo probably. O&S is a 55ishish fight for a lot of people, and a lot of people go human there to get help with the boss.

O.o Really now? Guess I'll just haunt the side area... and most people probably don't have that titanite demon dead, either... hahaha. I usually clear them off at 45ish. Then again, I have a ton of experience.
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Achire wrote: »

Everything I've seen would seem to indicate that hackers are pretty much the only thing going on in PC PvP.

The only hackers I've run into are the assholes in Parish. Fortunately, the drake sword is so powerful on the gargoyles I just solo it while hollow. There's a lot of people running high poise with high damage weapons whose only plan is to rely on poise to get combos off on you, but that's not hacking, it's just annoying.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

O.o Really now? Guess I'll just haunt the side area... and most people probably don't have that titanite demon dead, either... hahaha. I usually clear them off at 45ish. Then again, I have a ton of experience.

You can cheese the jerk from the balcony two floors up with a decent bow and enough arrows

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Damn Avelyn was a pain in the ass to get, but it has been got. With Duke's Archive cleared (and my 4 Kings kill on my darkwraith) I've officially progressed beyond my 360 save. I guess it's time for the tombs, cause I don't feel like dealing with ghosts yet. Although, I'm pretty sure I'm going to like New Londo better hah

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Jintor wrote: »

You can cheese the jerk from the balcony two floors up with a decent bow and enough arrows

I can never hit it, can't get my aim quite on it. You can also cheese it from the doorway though, shooting the leg. It's stupidly tough though... standard arrows and a +8 pharis didn't do much.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Just got the Knight Shield and met the Blacksmith. I guess it's about time to decide what kind of weapon I want to go with. So far I'm rocking the Faith sword thing you can get early on with the Master Key, I didn't want to use it but got fed up with a particular fight, was using the Estoc first. I took faith to 15 to be able to use that, and have been otherwise raising Endurance and Vitality mostly. Getting a little better at dodging stuff, been running around with full chainmail, can't quite roll around as much as I'd like, but, welp.

Deprived start, so all my stats are fairly equal.

Does the second boss always drop the Demon's Greataxe? I don't recall ever seeing it -- was I just lucky?

Also: The Black Knight with Sword and Board fell off the cliff after knocking me off it. I got a shard out of it though. =/ Was hoping for a lucky drop.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Just got the Knight Shield and met the Blacksmith. I guess it's about time to decide what kind of weapon I want to go with.

Does the second boss always drop the Demon's Greataxe? I don't recall ever seeing it -- was I just lucky?

Yep. It can be purchased from Shiva if you're in Forest Hunter, and there's a later area where Taurus Demons (and Capra Demons) are normal enemies you can get it from too. Of course, that's much later in the game, when your weapons are far stronger.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    how I feel when finally beating a boss
    9eea794b.gif

Dac on
  • Options
    What determines how much stamina is required for a block, anyway?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Ah, interesting stuff, Polaritie.

Still debating what gear to level up, heh. I rather liked the Estoc's combo; Astora's Straight Sword was good too but I'm not all that impressed with the faith requirements - wasn't going to work on faith on this char. Heal spells are nice I guess though?

I'm kinda tempted to try for a big huge weapon (tm) of some kind -- I have a Claymore, a Winged Spear, and a Zweihander, just from the first area, but don't have the stats for any of them. I honestly have been ignoring my shield in lieu of two handing my ... er... Astora's SS, so it's not a huge jump. Or is it possible to one hand a Zweihander later on?

KiTA on
  • Options

Still debating what gear to level up, heh. I rather liked the Estoc's combo; Astora's Straight Sword was good too but I'm not all that impressed with the faith requirements - wasn't going to work on faith on this char. Heal spells are nice I guess though?

I'm kinda tempted to try for a big huge weapon (tm) of some kind -- I have a Claymore, a Winged Spear, and a Zweihander, just from the first area, but don't have the stats for any of them. I honestly have been ignoring my shield in lieu of two handing my ... er... Astora's SS, so it's not a huge jump. Or is it possible to one hand a Zweihander later on?

Zweihander can be one-handed once you hit 24 strength. Two handed basically acts like you have 50% extra strength for weapon requirements and damage scaling (Hence the quality build -27 strength, 40 dex, because then you hit the 40-point level for strength two handed where you start getting less for each point)

Big huge weapons are fun. A highly upgraded Zweihander can do silly things with heavy attacks, but it will basically devour your stamina with each swing.

There's basically two ways to go for miracles and sorcery (pyromancy is stat-independent). You can get a little, something like 14 points, enough for utility spells (like Cast Light, which is a huge help in Tomb of the Giants, or Magic Weapon, for sorceries. Healing for miracles), and then use the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst or Thorulund Talisman (these two items have a fixed magic adjust that doesn't scale with the stat, but it's on par with most implements at 26-27 of the corresponding stat), or go all in and use stronger implements (Canvas Talisman, for instance).

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I really like Black Knight weapons. I've been lucky this run, I already have the sword, greatsword, greataxe and the halberd. I'm currently rocking the axe, I really really like it.

JZTHD.jpg

What other weapons do you think resemble the moveset of the Black knight sword/axe but are more powerful? I'm currently doing 601 R1.Weapon damage, but I've seen people say that these weapons are good for mid-game only?

Also, regarding Crystal caves:
    After defeating Sheath, that's the end of the caves right? Or is there more to explore? I was able to grab the blue titanite slab.

Nope, the BKGA is one of the best weapons in the game. It's got the swing speed of a Claymore but the power of a Zweihander, or at least it did back on consoles. Took it all the way to NG++ and never used anything else, even with my Demon Great Machete +15 and Magic Weapon.

And yeah, you're done with the caves.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    What determines how much stamina is required for a block, anyway?

How much damage the attack would have done, modified by the shield's stability. More stability = less stamina used up.

• Options

Zweihander can be one-handed once you hit 24 strength. Two handed basically acts like you have 50% extra strength for weapon requirements and damage scaling (Hence the quality build -27 strength, 40 dex, because then you hit the 40-point level for strength two handed where you start getting less for each point)

Big huge weapons are fun. A highly upgraded Zweihander can do silly things with heavy attacks, but it will basically devour your stamina with each swing.

There's basically two ways to go for miracles and sorcery (pyromancy is stat-independent). You can get a little, something like 14 points, enough for utility spells (like Cast Light, which is a huge help in Tomb of the Giants, or Magic Weapon, for sorceries. Healing for miracles), and then use the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst or Thorulund Talisman (these two items have a fixed magic adjust that doesn't scale with the stat, but it's on par with most implements at 26-27 of the corresponding stat), or go all in and use stronger implements (Canvas Talisman, for instance).

More good stuff.

I'm torn on what exactly to go with ultimately. Claymore seems pretty good when I use it right now, although I reserve judgement for when I get enough STR to 1 hand it. Wish there were some Katanas or other such weapons I could be testing out this early.

Long term, well, I was going to ask what gear people use in NG++ and beyond, but realistically I'll be rerolling this character long before I get one to NG++, won't I?

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

More good stuff.

I'm torn on what exactly to go with ultimately. Claymore seems pretty good when I use it right now, although I reserve judgement for when I get enough STR to 1 hand it. Wish there were some Katanas or other such weapons I could be testing out this early.

Long term, well, I was going to ask what gear people use in NG++ and beyond, but realistically I'll be rerolling this character long before I get one to NG++, won't I?

Not necessarily. You can freely build up every main stat to 30-40 safe in the knowledge that you'll be getting some good shit out of it, and I found there was still plenty of online action to be had past the arbitrary 120 level range GameFAQs guys decided on.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »

More good stuff.

Not necessarily. You can freely build up every main stat to 30-40 safe in the knowledge that you'll be getting some good shit out of it, and I found there was still plenty of online action to be had past the arbitrary 120 level range GameFAQs guys decided on.

From what I can tell, the new arena is tiered as 1-50, 50-100, and 100+, so I've been using 50 and 100 as goal levels.

Resistance is kind of bad compared to everything else. Taking 1 less damage per point does not add up the same way 4-5 more attack power per point of dex or strength does (for B+ scaling weapons - I get +5 every point with Pharis' bow, which adds up fast), the extra 30ish HP per point of vitality, etc. Since levels get more expensive (I need around 20k souls/level at 60, so... yeah. Yay painted world!) you should plan a little bit at least.

15 int is safe for any strength or dex build, because that's the minimum for Greater Magic Weapon, which is like +180-200 or so magic damage with the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, and those builds tend to go for normal upgrades (to maintain high scaling on weapons with B+), and thus can make use of it. Especially dex builds using faster weapons, since the bonus is flat.

Ricard's Rapier is a nice choice there - the heavy attacks burn your stamina rapidly... for like 5-6 thrusts in a mere 3 seconds.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm kinda sad that the arena is 100 considering that 120 has been the de-facto PvP level since Demon's Souls.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I beat the butterfly, then headed all the way back to Firelink, saved, and then went to the Depths and rescued Laurentius. I then went back, without beating the Depths, and talked to him. So I upgraded my flame a bit and bought combustion. Does buying multiple copies of the spells enable me to cast twice the spells, while still having two spells attuned?

This discussion has been closed.